Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High School classmates wife.  (Read 3189 times)

MrClean

• I have not yet begun to procrastinate.
High School classmates wife.
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:25:15 AM »

I get regular update notifications via email.  Interesting web site to keep friends and family informed.   http://www.caringbridge.org/

Char is now at Mayo Medical Center in Rochester Minnesota.

The story.

On Sunday 9/28/2008, while riding their motorcycles, Paul and Charlene Hegland hit a deer on their bikes. Paul is fortunate enough to walk away.

Char suffered a sever head trauma. Swelling usually doesn't peak for 3-5 days so we really don't know where we stand. Aside from the head injury there is a slight fracture to the pelvis, a sprained finger, and some damage to ligaments in the neck which should heal in 6-8 weeks. No damage to spinal column detected, she responds to pain and moves all extremities. The first step in treatment is controlling the swelling of the brain. This could take some time, but we will update here as soon as we get information.

The last update on her condition.

This is the entry from 02-02-09 from her daughter.

Mom is back in her old room on the medical floor, doing much better. They were able to get her blood pressure under control again, and it has been a pretty uneventful day. She had another lumbar puncture and EEG last night, but no word on results yet. A new team of doctors that deal with alternative treatments are supposed to be in tomorrow to speak with Dad. They will go over our options given Mom's condition. Dad is staying with her tonight.

She continues to open her eyes for a few minutes at a time throughout the day. It's hard to believe that this is where we are, given where we were at Christmas time, but it's better than we were the last few weeks, so we'll take it! It's time to start praying again. Mom needs to wake up. She needs us to help her.

We'll keep you posted!

shauna

And not to start an argument but he was wearing a helmet and she was not.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:29:41 AM by MrClean »
Apathy: I can take it or leave it.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: High School classmates wife.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 08:08:18 AM »

Will send prayers her way.  Keep us informed.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 10:50:04 AM »

Will send prayers her way.  Keep us informed.  spyder

Same here! Did I read that right? Were they on seperate bikes hitting the same deer? Dang deer! I will keep on praying for her. God Bless!

cremebrulee

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »

I sure do hope she gets well real quick ~ she is in my prayers ~ keep strong

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:38:04 PM »

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the whole family for a speedy recovery!

cremebrulee

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »

I was curious about Charlene's progress and did not see anything on her so I went to the Caring Bridge website and entered her name. I sadly found out she just passed away this weekend. If anyone would like to read the loving way she went you should go to www.caringbridge.org and type in Charlene Hegland and it will bring you to the most recent update.

May your whole family be surrounded by God's love and care during this most difficult time.

Linda

cremebrulee

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:44:29 PM »

Here is the post:

Dearest Family and Friends,

Our best friend, wife and mother went to fly with the angels upon the setting sun last night. It was the most amazing thing we have ever seen, even beyond what we expected of her. In true Mom fashion, she went on her own terms, in her own way, and far beyond predictions. Though our hearts are heavy with sadness, we could not have asked for more.

She held on for us, and though we all knew she wanted to go, and told her it was ok, as long as we were in the room, she held on. We waited with her for a long time, sharing family stories and our last special moments with her. We stepped out of the room to have a quick family discussion for only moments. When we came back in, Mom was trying to slip away, but we interrupted her, and so, she held on for a long while more. Finally, we realized what it was she was waiting for. We said our goodbyes and left her and Dad alone. When we came back into the room a short time later, Dad was sleeping, holding mom in bed, and she was sleeping peacefully, too. Dad said he had told her that he was going to crawl into bed with her and talk awhile. Then, he told her he would just hold her quietly and rest with her. She waited for that moment, and when she heard Dad's slow, steady, and comforting breaths of sleep, she slipped away, peacefully, beautifully, and in her husband's loving arms.

For the first time in five months, she looked peaceful and more like the mother we have all known our whole lives. She looked like an angel. Though it was the hardest moment of our lives, it was also beautiful because it was so Mom. That was her gift, and we will never forget it.

Lovingly,

Char's Favorites

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 02:59:13 PM »

Very sad story. God Bless her. Thank you for the update.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »

So sorry for your loss.  A prayer for your Mom and the entire family.

TazmanTyphoon

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »

Linda, thanks for the update :(

Very sad, Charlene Hegland Family & close friends my sincere condolences and shedding tears from Washington State. May you be lifted up with prayers and be comforted by knowing that MOM is now resting in peace and DAD was able to share the last moments in such a loving way.

Peace be with you!

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.