Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter 110 mods?  (Read 2698 times)

StrahDawg

• 2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE
Winter 110 mods?
« on: November 03, 2007, 11:46:05 AM »

It will be winter soon here in Cleveland and riding season will be done I'm looking for suggestions on what I should do next for more power. I don't have very deep pockets I'm trying to keep this under a $1000. A few people said cams would be the next step, I talked to my dealer and that's what he thought but he also was going to get some opinions on what's the best set up as they haven't done alot/any? of builds with the new 110. I guess first I should tell you I have a 07 FXSTSSE 110 Rinehart 2into1, SERT and S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake. When I originally had the bike tuned it was at 92hp and 107tq but the S&S intake didnt come in so they swapped the paper filter For a K&N to get better flow. The bike ran fine when I installed the S&S intake so I didnt think it was worth it to pay for it to be tuned again. For what it's worth I did notice a little increase in power with the S&S change but I have no idea what. The area's I'm looking to improve would be more low to mid range. I also plan on having more work done in the future so I want a build that I can do in stages. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and input.

2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust
S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake
Kuryakin Lizard Lights
A Few Chrome Do-Dad's Here & There!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Winter 110 mods?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »

You should talk to the person that you are going to do your heads / build with.   Once you get a complete list for your total project you can then break down your steps toward the final project with something that goes towards your end goal vs. just putting something in now and then having to change it later.    This will allow you to grow the project based on your time / budget.   

In my case I chose Cycle Rama with Wes Brown.

I went with his 595 Cam, 58mm HP Inc Throttlebody, HP Inc Air Filter, Cycle Rama Lifters, CR Heads.   I did this build in stages, first I installed the Cam and lifters, then 3 months later the headwork, Throttlebody.   

Here is a link to the dyno run
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=6375.msg274959#msg274959

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:01:56 AM »

Thanks Unbalanced I understand what your saying and I agree I need a plan/builder to lay this out for me. My problem as of now is I like my dealer but I dont see them as perf eng builders and based on our conversation it sounds like there going to go to someone to lay out a plan. Is that the norm if you have this done at the dealer? Also I don't know of any say perf shops/dealers in my area, maybe someone from Cleveland area can refer me to one.

Kuryakin Lizard Lights

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:07:28 AM »

They're all over the place.  Look under motorcycles in the yellow pages and give them a call.  Visit the shop and speak with the builder.  Ask for referrals.  Did you check the member map for others in the Cleveland area.  You can PM them as well.  Also, you can check with the dealer to find out where they might send their customers for performance work.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 02:26:28 PM »

Strahdawg,

For something like this I would not say to go to a dealer unless the dealer is Latus or Hal's or one of that level and is known for doing lots of motor work.   The problem with getting someone else to lay it all out and then have the dealer get involved is you could not saying you would but could have issues like Howie did and then have the dealer say sorry you need to go somewhere else after they did the install etc.    I would tell you since it is a winter job that you might be best served delivering your bike or motor to the person that is going to do all the work from start to finish and expect them to be accountable for it.   I don't specifically know anyone in Cleveland but here are some names I would recommend you talk to they may even be able to recommend a shop they deal with in you area.

Another suggestion would be if your planning on doing a rally say Myrtle Beach or Daytona in the spring that you time dropping off your bike to whoever and then on your way to the event pick it up and break it good on vacation.  Then after the event stop back by builder get your final tune done and head home :)

Wes at cyclerama Florida
Dave Mackey  California
John Sachs FL
Hal's Harley Davidson  Wisconson
Latus Harley Davidson   oregon
T-Man   NC
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:14:29 PM »

Strahdawg,

For something like this I would not say to go to a dealer unless the dealer is Latus or Hal's or one of that level and is known for doing lots of motor work.   The problem with getting someone else to lay it all out and then have the dealer get involved is you could not saying you would but could have issues like Howie did and then have the dealer say sorry you need to go somewhere else after they did the install etc.    I would tell you since it is a winter job that you might be best served delivering your bike or motor to the person that is going to do all the work from start to finish and expect them to be accountable for it.   I don't specifically know anyone in Cleveland but here are some names I would recommend you talk to they may even be able to recommend a shop they deal with in you area.

Another suggestion would be if your planning on doing a rally say Myrtle Beach or Daytona in the spring that you time dropping off your bike to whoever and then on your way to the event pick it up and break it good on vacation.  Then after the event stop back by builder get your final tune done and head home :)

Wes at cyclerama Florida
Dave Mackey  California
John Sachs FL
Hal's Harley Davidson  Wisconson
Latus Harley Davidson   oregon
T-Man   NC

I would be cautious about going with ANY dealer unless you know the specific person doing the work.  The reputation of the dealership doesn't mean much of the guy doing your work isn't someone you know.  Dealerships tend to have a lot of turnover in there service departments.  If you don't know the person, then it is the luck of the draw...even with a dealership like Hal's.  I had Hal's do some dyno work a couple years back - and afterwards the bike ran like chit.  I took it back and got the story of "the tech doing my dyno work was new - ect.  We'll fix it for you." 
I declined and got my money back instead.  I then took it to Wayne Hanson of Speed's Performance and had it done right.  As Wayne explained, he does hundreds if not thousands of tunes each year - while a particular tech at a dealership might do a two or three a month.  So, expecting the same level of expertise at a dealership is not realistic.  My opinion is any shop like Speeds or Cycle Rama or Baisley or R&R is going to give you a better result.

Question - What do they call the guy that finished last in his class at medical school?
Answer - Doctor

Question - What do they call the guy that finished last in his class at Harley Tech school?
Answer - ?

later...Scott
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 05:16:04 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:08:11 PM »

Thanks guys for the help I will do some more research and asking around to see if I can find a good local perf shop. If not I have read alot of good things about Cyclerama, R&R, etc. Not that I woudn't love to have them do the work but since I'm limited on funds and cant do it all at once and have to do it in stages I thought it would be better to try and stay local. Thanks again for all your feed back.

Kuryakin Lizard Lights

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:30:28 PM »

we often hear folks wanting to do it in stages and I think it costs more in the long run...with these 110" motors we have a catch 22...with this many cubes and a light bike, a long duration cam is best...however we only have 9.3 compression...not enough to support a long cam...I just bought a se dyna and at first was just going to put in se204 cams and call it good...but finally sprung for a more thorough build including head work and raising compression and se257 cams...also your exhaust will limit you...the bike I just traded had a built 103..I changed out rinehart 2 into 1 for a bassani roadrage 2 into 1 and gained a lot of power...most of the dynos I've seen with the rinehart are not good
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 04:30:18 PM »

I would be cautious about going with ANY dealer unless you know the specific person doing the work.  The reputation of the dealership doesn't mean much of the guy doing your work isn't someone you know.  Dealerships tend to have a lot of turnover in there service departments.  If you don't know the person, then it is the luck of the draw...even with a dealership like Hal's.  I had Hal's do some dyno work a couple years back - and afterwards the bike ran like chit.  I took it back and got the story of "the tech doing my dyno work was new - ect.  We'll fix it for you." 
I declined and got my money back instead.  I then took it to Wayne Hanson of Speed's Performance and had it done right.  As Wayne explained, he does hundreds if not thousands of tunes each year - while a particular tech at a dealership might do a two or three a month.  So, expecting the same level of expertise at a dealership is not realistic.  My opinion is any shop like Speeds or Cycle Rama or Baisley or R&R is going to give you a better result.

Question - What do they call the guy that finished last in his class at medical school?
Answer - Doctor

Question - What do they call the guy that finished last in his class at Harley Tech school?
Answer - ?

later...Scott

Scott,

Wayne <SPP> (speeds performance plus) is a good guy, but he doesn't do race tuner or wasnt as of the last bike event if I recall correctly he works a lot with R&R.   Right the power commander tuners are all eagerly awaiting a remedy for the 08's models from power commander.   That might need to be taken into consideration for the tuner if someone is looking to act in the short term.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 05:02:46 PM »

Scott,

Wayne <SPP> (speeds performance plus) is a good guy, but he doesn't do race tuner or wasnt as of the last bike event if I recall correctly he works a lot with R&R.   Right the power commander tuners are all eagerly awaiting a remedy for the 08's models from power commander.   That might need to be taken into consideration for the tuner if someone is looking to act in the short term.

Good points, Harry...

I have had Wayne tune two bikes for me - both Power Commanders.  He does development work with R&R, plus does his own stuff.  But your right - for short term solution requirements, Power Commander would not be an option.
The other guy in my area I would trust doing a tune is Jamie at Fuel Moto USA in Neenah, Wi. - but he is primarily a Power Commander guy.   When it comes to tuners, there are not an abundance of great options...

later...Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 09:22:02 PM »

Thanks again for all the input I'm just taken it all in and than going to way out all my options. I still haven't heard back from the dealer on his quote/build plan but he did say he should have something by the end of the week.

Kuryakin Lizard Lights

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.