Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arlington Service & DC  (Read 825 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Arlington Service & DC
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:34:56 AM »

Anne and I had the honor of being present yesterday for the memorial service at ANC for a retired Navy relative.  This was the first time for either of us to attend a service at our nations most notable cemetary.  It was an abbreviated ceremony with a color guard and a 21 gun salute but it still was a very moving experience.

ANC should be added to everyone's must visit sites...from the recently added Pentagon 9/11 memorial to the Armored Services Memorial to the Tomb of the Unknown and everything in between...all are impressive

While in DC, we also did a few other touristy things...it was a great time of year as the weather while cool, was dry and the lines were non-existent.  In two days we were able to take in the following:

1.  International Spy Museum ($16per) ...pretty cool with some history that I never heard about before (2.5 hrs).
2.  National Archives (Free) ...Declaration, Constitution, Bill of Rights and a ton more information (2 hrs. but could have spent days).
3.  National Gallery of Art (Free) ...Impressive, but I cannot stare at paintings for that long...looked for the famous ones...(2 hrs.)
4.  Bureau of Engraving and Printing (Free) ...Fun to see $Millions in cash pass before your eyes...(1hr.)...but why do you have to pay more for uncut currency ?
5.  Jefferson Memorial (Free) ...My personal favorite (15 mins. plus a walk around the Tidal Basin)
6. FDR Memorial (Free) ...Nicely done...can't picture Clinton or Bush deserving anything like it... (40 mins)
7  WWII Memorial (Free) ...perfectly appropriate and well done... (30 mins)
8  National Aquarium ($5per) ...stuck in the basement of Commerce and well, it does not measure up to todays standards (45 mins)
9  Museum of Natural History (Free) ...Hope Diamond and other gems kept Anne interested, the Fossils and Dinosaurs were well done...but why do they bother putting stuffed animals on display when you can go to the zoo and see the living ones (2 hrs.)

/Bill

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 09:36:53 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Arlington Service & DC
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 10:46:13 AM »

WFP,
I work for the Dept. of Commerce and get to go to the National Aquarium free of charge, and that's over-priced.  I wish I would have known you were going to be in the DC area...we could have hooked up and tipped a few.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:02:31 PM »

My wife and I have relatives that live in Bethesda and we visit the DC area A LOT.  We've visited most of the places that you mentioned and a few more.  The one thing we have done several times that I really enjoy is the Friday Evening Parade at the Marine Barracks in downtown DC.  This ceremony is awesome!  I know a "parade" doesn't sound very exciting, but, this is much more than a parade!  Of all the places that we've visited in DC this one tops the list!  If you're not proud to be an American after watch this, you need to move to another country!  Truly awesome!
 :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

They have the parade every Friday evening during the summer.  Reservations are required.  Make them way in advance of your visit!

Here's a link to the Marine barracks web site:
  http://www.mbw.usmc.mil/ParadeDefault.asp

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 06:01:32 PM »

Yes, our Nation's Capital is a true treasure, one that really needs to be visited to be appreciated.  Glad you folks enjoyed yourselves. Sorry we missed you.

:coolblue: :cherry:

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.