Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Ride Report 08 SEUC  (Read 871 times)

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
First Ride Report 08 SEUC
« on: November 17, 2007, 11:26:32 AM »

Well, I’ve got about 1050 miles on the new bike and want to share my thoughts and observations so far…

It was a sunny but chilly October 12 when I picked up the new bike.  The ride home was fantastic.  I was babying it, but could feel the torque and power of the bigger engine.  It’s been a while since I had ridden, about two months since I sold my 03 RK.  I had the chance to try out the heated grips (very nice) and seat (which does not seem to work). 

The following day my wife Lisa and I rode back to the dealership to pick up my truck.   We bottomed out on the road leading from our house to the x-way, and she said, “ugh” when that happened.  Mental note that I need to check the air in the shocks.  Since then, I rode across the state the following Monday to check on a job, then a few hours south to check on another property another day.  Learning all the new controls is a bit overwhelming – plus the corresponding handlebar controls.   

The Navigation system works OK.  It seems that for what this radio costs it would have a color screen and the NAV would perform like an aftermarket.  Unless you’re on a trip, it doesn’t list the road you’re traveling on or anything really useful, other than a compass function.  The first time I tried to use it, I just entered the road without an address.  BIG mistake.  It took me to the spot where the road started, and in one block it was a dead end.  I had to go a few miles to get to the other side to find my destination.  Lesson learned. 

Now that I am past the break-in period, I am really enjoying the extra power.  The first time I opened it up, I was surprised when I hit the rev limiter.  I was not expecting to twist it that hard.  Since then I’ve learned how far to take it.  The other creature features are great.  The brakes are really strong, and in a few tests have had the rear anti-lock engage, but not the front.  The IDS is great, and it really smooths out the ride.  I especially like the power locks on the bags and the security fob.  It's nice to go into a store for a minute and not have to lock it all up. 

The only heat issue I see is by my right ankle.  I don’t really understand where the heat is coming from because the front exhaust pipe is lower than my foot.  Lisa noticed some heat as a passenger, but that was consistent with the RK.  The weather has been cool, so I’m sure we’ll notice more when riding in summer temps.

My only regret in posting this now is that I have no pics to post of me & the bike yet.  The only time I've photographed it was at the "birthing" that I posted earlier.

Dave

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: First Ride Report 08 SEUC
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »

Glad you like it. As for the problem with the heated seat, many have found that the factory hooked the power into the AUX plug under the seat instead of the connector for the heated seat, which used to be to the left of the battery. I don't know where they would have put that in the 08's with everything that changed on them.

Good luck.

:indian_chief:

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 12:05:31 PM »

I will try it with the AUX switch on.  Thanks for the tip!  It's going in for the 1000 mile service soon, and they are supposed to install (or find) the pigtail for the battery charger then. 

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 12:08:37 PM »

On my second seat as well as grips.  The seat had power to the plug but no continuity in the element.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.