Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 110 Vapor Lock???  (Read 2026 times)

08roadkingse

• CVO1: 2008 Road King CVO
110 Vapor Lock???
« on: November 18, 2007, 08:25:31 AM »

I got roped in to doing a parade yesterday with my HOG club. It was 45 degrees out and about an hour of crawling past the people. When we got through to the end, the group whipped around to a school lot and everybody parked. About 25 minutes later, we all left...except me.

I hit the start button and it fired up and promptly died. I did it again same thing. just enough "fuel" to turn it over. Didn't matter weather I left the throttle in place or pegged it out after it fired up. after about fifteen tries it finally grabbed enough that I could tach it up and keep it running.

Why did this happen? Could it have to do with the throttle-by-wire system? And man!, I know it has electric compression releases but 2 or 3 of the start attempts was met with a sound like someone hit the cylinders with a sledgehammer!

I plan to bring it to the dealer but more than likey I'll get the old "couldn't duplicate the customers condition". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ride on and be safe
'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

'05 Deuce (or "the other woman" per/wife)
128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: 110 Vapor Lock???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 08:39:14 AM »

I have had that same problem before. "I" think it has to do with the automatic compression releases. It has been happening lately on cold starts in the morning.
BTW, I have the same radical paint set on my Deuce! Looks great!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 09:57:08 AM »

Probably not the fly by wire it has a limp home mode where the bike will do 25mph (may take a while to get home on the freeway at that speed) so it should have a least started and idled.  Keep us posted.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »

Could you hear the fuel pump priming when you turned the bike on? If it was vapor lock you could have slowly removed the cap and listened for the air to release.....

08roadkingse

• CVO1: 2008 Road King CVO
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 03:14:24 PM »

I could hear the pump priming every time. I'll keep the gas cap thing in mind for (hopefully not) next time.
'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

'05 Deuce (or "the other woman" per/wife)
128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 21 queries.