Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: 07 CUSE STARTER PROBLEM?  (Read 6484 times)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
Re: 07 CUSE STARTER PROBLEM?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2007, 07:46:07 PM »

Hey TC, you're gonna come out of this fine......scooter will be fixed, running good, and a very nice CHROME starter.  That part makes a hugh difference on the dresser.   :2vrolijk_21:  spyder
Thanks.  I've got a great relationship with the dealer.  The mechanic is tops.  I've had problems on previous rides.  You fix 'em and keep riding.  If you like the bike, enjoy it, ride it, b*tch about it (we all do ;)) and for heaven's sake take out the extended warranty!!!! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:.
I told momma, she could consider the chrome starter an early present for "NEXT" Christmas ;D.
TC

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 08:09:19 PM »

I told momma, she could consider the chrome starter an early present for "NEXT" Christmas ;D.
TC
Attaboy!   har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 09:26:33 AM »

Shop called today with good news and bad news - good news - cylinders in place (with "latest" version of gaskets); back together and while checking the starter "one more time" - it crapped! (bad news)  They're not taking the starter apart - they found no loose "parts" roaming around - checked clutch housing - no issues.  I also asked them to check the chain tensioner.  Reported back they found no issues in either case.  ACRs were functioning properly (much to my surprise) before they tore the engine down.  Functioned properly after reassembly - right up to the point the starter bit the bag.
Opted for chrome starter (cheap given I'll only pay the difference).  Bad news again - had to order starter - MoCo closed for holidays.  Probably ten days to 2 weeks before I get her back...
Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me - ho, ho, hum...
Hopefully all will be well when I finally do get her back.  No problems with the shop - they've been great. Kept me posted on all the details and progress.  I trust the mechanic completely.  Good guy and knows his stuff.
Be safe,
TC

TC,

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues.  I think we got our bikes about the same time earlier this year, which means they were probably built about the same time.  Even though I really hated to let mine go, I figured it was just a matter of time before all hell broke loose.  You should also read Sandubars posts on rebuilding his 110.  He has some great photos of what the bikes "innards" look like when exposed.

I hope your new cylinders do the trick.  The MoCo really needs to get their act together-way too many of these happening.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2007, 07:32:04 PM »

TC,

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues.  I think we got our bikes about the same time earlier this year, which means they were probably built about the same time.  Even though I really hated to let mine go, I figured it was just a matter of time before all hell broke loose.  You should also read Sandubars posts on rebuilding his 110.  He has some great photos of what the bikes "innards" look like when exposed.

I hope your new cylinders do the trick.  The MoCo really needs to get their act together-way too many of these happening.
Amen, my friend.
TC

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 05:35:41 PM »

Okay folks - here's the "rest of the story"...
Picked up the Jester from the dealership yesterday.  Dropped it off on 1 DEC!!  Here's the run down.  Replaced both cylinders, pistons, rings.  I'd asked them to check clearance in the rocker boxes.  Guess what?  They needed to be clearanced.  Done!  Compensator nut - loose.  Fixed!  Starter (chrome - now ;)) replaced!  All under w*****y.  31 hours of tech time - majority to the MoCo for all the w******y work.  Had the IDS installed and the nifty saddlebag spoiler lights (way kewl! - thanks, Charlie!!).  Tour pack bottom replaced (w*****y).  Left saddle bag cover (scratched by technician at first service) replaced.  Service manager said they have had 4 other 110's experience same problem (oil leak, liners slipping).  None have come back.  I've got utmost confidence in the tech (not as much in the MoCo unfortunately) and the dealer treats me well.
Anyway, got on the bike - almost remembered how to start it  :o, sounded like an entirely different motorcycle.  The "ticking" I'd heard before (obviously the rocker box tapping...) was gone.  Rode it around the building a few times.  Absolutely incredible, low speed "difference", I can only assume is attributable to the IDS.  What a difference - virtually eliminated all the vibration.
Oh, yeah - Gary - the starter looks NICE - I can see myself!!! :huepfenjump3:
Now the fun starts.  Reinstalling the Radiantz "strip", installing the Radiantz brake light, and the Radiantz turn signals.  Wiring up the Zumo.  Putting the stock mufflers back on (had them "worked" by Steve at Full Sac).  I like the look and hopefully will be pleased with the noise.  Anyone interested in a set of S&S SPOs, PM me.
Wanted to close out this chapter in the saga of my Jester.  Plan on putting her up for winter, so won't know if the "problem" will re-appear in the spring or not.  I'll keep my fingers crossed!
TCinVA

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »

Hey TCinVA, so glad that you finally got the Jester back and all fixed.......sounds good!  Sleep well, grasshopper.  :coolblue: har! spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »

Hey TCinVA, so glad that you finally got the Jester back and all fixed.......sounds good!  Sleep well, grasshopper.  :coolblue: har! spyder
Thanks, Spyder.  The one thing I forgot to mention.  I asked them to check the crank runout.  Service manager said they talked to MoCo and were told that the runout problem was showing up in motors built before 1 Dec 06?? :nixweiss:.  Mine came after that, but I'm guessing I'll hear from folks on here who have the runout issue with motors manufactured after that date.  MoCo wouldn't cover the check under warranty, dealer said they "looked at" it while they were tinkerin' around and it didn't appear to be an issue.  Guess we'll see...
Thanks again,
TC

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 06:10:26 PM »

Thanks, Spyder.  The one thing I forgot to mention.  I asked them to check the crank runout.  Service manager said they talked to MoCo and were told that the runout problem was showing up in motors built before 1 Dec 06?? :nixweiss:.  Mine came after that, but I'm guessing I'll hear from folks on here who have the runout issue with motors manufactured after that date.  MoCo wouldn't cover the check under warranty, dealer said they "looked at" it while they were tinkerin' around and it didn't appear to be an issue.  Guess we'll see...
Thanks again,
TC
Surely those are not 'their words'.  :nervous:  har!  spyder

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 06:37:21 PM »

I didn't think the 110's had compensator nuts any longer.. :nixweiss:

Seems they could have checked the runout, at least on the primary side  :nixweiss:

No matter, Tony...I'm just tickled they got your bike fixed and back to you.  Hope you have many thousands of trouble free miles from this point forward.  I also hope some of those miles are in traveling to MV 08 in September, as I'd like to finally meet you!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 06:54:40 PM »

Picked up the Jester from the dealership yesterday.  Dropped it off on 1 DEC!!  Here's the run down.  Replaced both cylinders, pistons, rings.  I'd asked them to check clearance in the rocker boxes.  Guess what?  They needed to be clearanced.  Done!  Compensator nut - loose.  Fixed!  Starter (chrome - now ;)) replaced!  All under w*****y.  31 hours of tech time - majority to the MoCo for all the w******y work.  Had the IDS installed and the nifty saddlebag spoiler lights (way kewl! - thanks, Charlie!!).  Tour pack bottom replaced (w*****y).  Left saddle bag cover (scratched by technician at first service) replaced.  Service manager said they have had 4 other 110's experience same problem (oil leak, liners slipping).  None have come back.  I've got utmost confidence in the tech (not as much in the MoCo unfortunately) and the dealer treats me well.
Anyway, got on the bike - almost remembered how to start it  :o, sounded like an entirely different motorcycle.  The "ticking" I'd heard before (obviously the rocker box tapping...) was gone.  Rode it around the building a few times.  Absolutely incredible, low speed "difference", I can only assume is attributable to the IDS.  What a difference - virtually eliminated all the vibration.
Now the fun starts.  Reinstalling the Radiantz "strip", installing the Radiantz brake light, and the Radiantz turn signals.  Wiring up the Zumo.  Putting the stock mufflers back on (had them "worked" by Steve at Full Sac).  I like the look and hopefully will be pleased with the noise.  Anyone interested in a set of S&S SPOs, PM me.
Wanted to close out this chapter in the saga of my Jester.  Plan on putting her up for winter, so won't know if the "problem" will re-appear in the spring or not.  I'll keep my fingers crossed!
TCinVA

That's great to hear Tony! I hope it all holds up for you now. Sounds like you got treated very well too. :2vrolijk_21:

Can you please check and see what pistons they used? I just found out here, that the '08's have forged pistons. Ours had cast pistons. Very curious what they replaced yours with. TIA! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2008, 07:00:59 PM »

That's great to hear Tony! I hope it all holds up for you now. Sounds like you got treated very well too. :2vrolijk_21:

Can you please check and see what pistons they used? I just found out here, that the '08's have forged pistons. Ours had cast pistons. Very curious what they replaced yours with. TIA! ;)

Hoist! 8)
Another FNG question...... Pros and/or cons of forged over cast?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »

Picked up the Jester from the dealership yesterday.  Dropped it off on 1 DEC!!  Here's the run down.  Replaced both cylinders, pistons, rings.  I'd asked them to check clearance in the rocker boxes.  Guess what?  They needed to be clearanced.  Done!  Compensator nut - loose.  Fixed!  Starter (chrome - now ;)) replaced!  All under w*****y.  31 hours of tech time - majority to the MoCo for all the w******y work.  Had the IDS installed and the nifty saddlebag spoiler lights (way kewl! - thanks, Charlie!!).  Tour pack bottom replaced (w*****y).  Left saddle bag cover (scratched by technician at first service) replaced.  Service manager said they have had 4 other 110's experience same problem (oil leak, liners slipping).   None have come back.  I've got utmost confidence in the tech (not as much in the MoCo unfortunately) and the dealer treats me well.
TCinVA

Holy Chit!  Admitting seeing the problem 4 times in the past???  Must not have received the memo...   :o
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 07:07:18 AM »

Tony,  great news on getting the bike back. It was in a long time?  But I guess you have not missed that much riding.  So glad you got the chrome starter.   :D  You will love it.

See ya on the road come spring.   :cherry:

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »

I didn't think the 110's had compensator nuts any longer.. :nixweiss:

Seems they could have checked the runout, at least on the primary side   :nixweiss:

No matter, Tony...I'm just tickled they got your bike fixed and back to you.  Hope you have many thousands of trouble free miles from this point forward.  I also hope some of those miles are in traveling to MV 08 in September, as I'd like to finally meet you!!
Terry,
I should have been more specific.  They DID check the primary side and it was "within spec".  To do the "whole deal" would have been additional cost (to me), since MoCo said they wouldn't cover it.  Tech said that when they had no indication of out of spec on the primary side, they didn't go any further.
Thanks for the support for through my "trying time"...
BTW - the folks at Custom Dynamics gave me the CVO discount even though Dave wasn't around at the time.  Good folks there.  Can't wait to get all "them purty little LEDs" on the ride! :huepfenjump3:
Tony

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 08:14:24 AM »

Hoist! 8)
Thanks, Howie.  My understanding is "cast".
Looking forward to seeing you guys again in York.  Hopefully our plans won't get derailed this year.  We are in the midst of planning a June wedding however!! Our daughter got engaged shortly after New Years and decided June would be nice.  Phyllis and I said, great a year and half to plan, she said, "No - this June".  Holy crap!  Anyway, it's all good.  She's a happy camper and that's all that matters.
Be safe and stay warm,
Tony
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 21 queries.