Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Hawg-Wired "Direct Connect" System  (Read 40806 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Hawg-Wired "Direct Connect" System
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2007, 08:31:58 PM »

The amp does not have the CX x-over internal. What it has in an electronic x-over built in. You would still need the CX external x-over. Since you already have them wired in you would just plug the amp in and be done.

He'd have to move the crossovers to the unamplified speaker outputs from the SEEG radio. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2007, 08:33:17 PM »

The amp does not have the CX x-over internal. What it has in an electronic x-over built in. You would still need the CX external x-over. Since you already have them wired in you would just plug the amp in and be done.
This just answered my question I just posted. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2007, 09:30:07 PM »

He'd have to move the crossovers to the unamplified speaker outputs from the SEEG radio. 

Correct Don, Thanks for bringing this up. The SEEG has an overlay harness that the speakers are connected to. The non amplified speaker leads are "tapped" back on the harness and those are where you will need to connect the x-overs to. Or if you are using the SX speakers just find those leads and plug them in.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2007, 10:34:22 PM »

I'm wanting to know are the CX plug and play w/this amp. For $50 more then that is not that significant of a cost difference if they'll be plug and play w/this system.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe
Fired00d
 :fireman:

I'll try to answer Gary.  The new amp on our bike is plug and play.  The SX speakers are plug and play.
I put in the CX speakers.  There is a supplied wire harness from the crossovers to the speakers.  At each of your old speakers there is a + and - wire.  You have to cut off the spade wire ends (that goes to your old speakers) and spice into the new speakers/crossovers wiring.
It is easy to do (I did it).  If you're spending this much money, get the CX speakers and be done with it.  Much better than HTunes with the stock amp (nothing bad against Pez of HT's).
Hope this helps, Bob

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2007, 06:37:06 PM »

Just spoke to Jim and orderd this system for "big red".  It is actually still down at the dealer, as I decided to get the inner fairing painted to match the rest of the bike.  If it gets here before the fairing gets back, the install will be even easier.  I'll just cruise down and plug it in  (assuming they let me in the shop ;)

Thanks again Jim for the CVOHarley discount. :2vrolijk_21:
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »

Took the plunge.  Order my amp yesterday from HD Dude.  Hope to be rocking and rolling in no time.   Hey' Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »

Hey, LR, which speakers did you go with?  I canibalized the SEEG for the Hog Tunes speakers today and am going to put those in the SERG.  Now I have 2 empty holes in the SEEG and thought I would just do the Hawg Wired CX speakers and no amp, but now I'm thinking of doing the Direct Connect amp, the more simple, plug-and-play installation of the SX speakers.

Wish someone had switched from one to the other.  I would do the CX speakers if sound quality is noticeably better.  Just not sure what the deal is with this crossover I'd have to eliminate. :-\ :nixweiss:

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »

Hey, LR, which speakers did you go with?  I canibalized the SEEG for the Hog Tunes speakers today and am going to put those in the SERG.  Now I have 2 empty holes in the SEEG and thought I would just do the Hawg Wired CX speakers and no amp, but now I'm thinking of doing the Direct Connect amp, the more simple, plug-and-play installation of the SX speakers.

Wish someone had switched from one to the other.  I would do the CX speakers if sound quality is noticeably better.  Just not sure what the deal is with this crossover I'd have to eliminate. :-\ :nixweiss:

103, for right now I'm going with bt-504 they are also HW.  I had got them a few years back from HD dude.  He said they will work ok.  I'll see what that sounds like.  If I don't like the sound, then I'll probaly go with the CX since they are the best match for the amp. Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2008, 09:57:06 PM »

103, for right now I'm going with bt-504 they are also HW.  I had got them a few years back from HD dude.  He said they will work ok.  I'll see what that sounds like.  If I don't like the sound, then I'll probaly go with the CX since they are the best match for the amp. Let's Roll

OK, thanks.  I'm leaning toward the CX, too, just trying to figure out what's being said in a couple of posts in this thread :nixweiss: :

Correct Don, Thanks for bringing this up. The SEEG has an overlay harness that the speakers are connected to. The non amplified speaker leads are "tapped" back on the harness and those are where you will need to connect the x-overs to. Or if you are using the SX speakers just find those leads and plug them in.

I'll try to answer Gary.  The new amp on our bike is plug and play.  The SX speakers are plug and play.
I put in the CX speakers.  There is a supplied wire harness from the crossovers to the speakers.  At each of your old speakers there is a + and - wire.  You have to cut off the spade wire ends (that goes to your old speakers) and spice into the new speakers/crossovers wiring.
It is easy to do (I did it).  If you're spending this much money, get the CX speakers and be done with it.  Much better than HTunes with the stock amp (nothing bad against Pez of HT's).
Hope this helps, Bob

I need pictures. :-\

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »

OK, thanks.  I'm leaning toward the CX, too, just trying to figure out what's being said in a couple of posts in this thread :nixweiss: :

I need pictures. :-\

Probably not. Though I think I've got an illustration somewhere if you really need it.  Think of it like this.  Stock our speakers are plugged in to their speaker wires.  You'd need to unplug those wires from the speakers and just not use them anymore.  Tucked away up close to the speakers on each side is another set of speaker wires.  Use those.

No more difficult then that.

Reason for the change is the SEEG radios have a built in amp.  That amp feeds output via the speaker wires the SEEGs use stock.  Those speaker wires are accessory and are added as part of an extra harness that is only part of our radio package.

To use the extrernal amp you don't use the internal amp.  So you use the "original" speaker wires rather then the ones added as part of the SEEG radio package.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2008, 10:38:53 PM »

Yep, that helps.  I'll have to wander out to the garage and look at the bike to see if I see these hidden speaker wires.  Now, the reason these CX speakers require splicing is what?  They don't have the right spades on them? :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 10:45:37 PM »

Yep, that helps.  I'll have to wander out to the garage and look at the bike to see if I see these hidden speaker wires.  Now, the reason these CX speakers require splicing is what?  They don't have the right spades on them? :nixweiss:

Yeap, that's it. :2vrolijk_21:

Find that thread of my Harmon Kardon radio install.  Pretty sure there was an image there showed the "other" set of speaker wires that need to be used. 

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2008, 11:00:19 PM »

Brian;
The CX x-overs have bare leads on them. You could get some insulated mae spade lugs and crimp them onto the CX leads. This would allow you not to cut the factory female lugs off the harness. I can probably set these up for you before shipping if you want.....

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2008, 11:08:02 PM »

Yeap, that's it. :2vrolijk_21:

Find that thread of my Harmon Kardon radio install.  Pretty sure there was an image there showed the "other" set of speaker wires that need to be used. 

Alright, I found those little bastages up in there, tie wrapped to the harness.  I was going to come back and post that I'm not sure how excited I could get myself about cutting the terminals off, but I see Jim has already answered that concern. :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2008, 11:08:06 PM »

Brian;
The CX x-overs have bare leads on them. You could get some insulated mae spade lugs and crimp them onto the CX leads. This would allow you not to cut the factory female lugs off the harness. I can probably set these up for you before shipping if you want.....

Funny.  I'm pretty sure that's what I did.  Makes sense anyway.  But all I remembered for sure was that they were different.  Too many chores between then and now :huepfenlol2: .
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 22 queries.