Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Hawg-Wired "Direct Connect" System  (Read 40801 times)

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
Re: Hawg-Wired "Direct Connect" System
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2008, 12:33:38 AM »

Jim, Got my amp yesterday, will install tomorrow.  Going to put in in a friends 08' Road Glide first to let him hear it.  So you might get a call for another order.  Laaaaater,  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2008, 12:37:04 AM »

Jim, Got my amp yesterday, will install tomorrow.  Going to put in in a friends 08' Road Glide first to let him hear it.  So you might get a call for another order.  Laaaaater,  Let's Roll

Gabe;
Thanks, I got your message late, call me back anytime :2vrolijk_21:

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2008, 10:02:55 PM »

Well, I installed my amp on Saturday and it's very nice.  Very simple straight foward.  In the garage it was almost to loud, but is alaways to lound in the garage.  So I got out on the road for a bit and i could really tell the difference.  The sound is much clearer and crisper.  That is also runnig the older HW BT-504 speakers, really should sound "most excellent" with the newer sx or cx speakers.  I even installed it on a friends 08' Road Glide before I put it in mine and HD stock speakers never sounded so nice.  So my friend has started to save some $$ for his upgrade.  One thing I learn and advice for the next person to do the install. Disclaimer, this is on my 05' SEEG, so I magine is the same on and 04' SEEG.  Don't know about the 06' and up. 

The location on the amp is.  All the way back almost touching your gages on top of your existing radio.  That means that you have to make it fit in between the radio and the big fat wire loom that runs on top of your radio.  First I just put as far back on top of the radio against the wire loom. NOT FAR ENOUGH, the faring would hit.  And yes if I would of pay close attention to HD Dudes pics. on the first page, that 's exactly how he did it.  Under the loom.  I had to pull one of the loom anchors out and presto Nice and tight under there. 

I do have a pop that sounds when you turn off the bike, like the amp is powering down.  It didn't do it on my friends 08' RG, so I called Jim and he's going to call HW and take care of it.  Sorry for the long read.   Laaaaaaaaater,   Let's Roll

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:57:49 PM by LETS_ROLL »
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »

Update.  HD Dude contacted HW and a new amp is on the way.  Excellent customer service, class act.  Wish all businesses operated like that.   Laaater,  Let's Roll
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:58:32 PM by LETS_ROLL »
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2008, 07:49:25 PM »

L_R, thanks for posting about your install and the need to mount the amp under the wire loom.  I could have seen myself getting pretty frustrated this weekend without that piece of advice.

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2008, 10:46:21 PM »

L_R, thanks for posting about your install and the need to mount the amp under the wire loom.  I could have seen myself getting pretty frustrated this weekend without that piece of advice.

Live & learn.  I'm sure if you would of got to it first and had some difficulties you would passed it along.  This was my turn.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2008, 05:18:14 PM »

. . .

I do have a pop that sounds when you turn off the bike, like the amp is powering down.  It didn't do it on my friends 08' RG, so I called Jim and he's going to call HW and take care of it.  Sorry for the long read.   Laaaaaaaaater,   Let's Roll

Poop.  I've got that on mine, too.  Wonder if it somehow has anything to do with the CVO head unit? :nixweiss:  Let us know if your replacement amp does it, too.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2008, 05:23:19 PM »

Poop.  I've got that on mine, too.  Wonder if it somehow has anything to do with the CVO head unit? :nixweiss:  Let us know if your replacement amp does it, too.

I don't think I'd worry about a pop when turning on and off. Many excellent amps will do that. My home unit does it, and so does my Miata, even with the volume off. I think it's common for a remote amp turning on. Any noise during operation? Buzzing, feedback, humming, popping, etc? Then I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

They look like nice speakers. Too bad they didn't have them in 6-1/2"!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »

I don't think I'd worry about a pop when turning on and off. Many excellent amps will do that. My home unit does it, and so does my Miata, even with the volume off. I think it's common for a remote amp turning on. Any noise during operation? Buzzing, feedback, humming, popping, etc? Then I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

They look like nice speakers. Too bad they didn't have them in 6-1/2"!

Hoist! 8)

Yeah, this does it whether the head unit's on or not.  There is some buzzing that you hear in between songs on the MP3 player that increases/decreases with the volume setting, but it could be distortion coming from it, not the amp.  No doubt a running motor will make it totally go away.  Need to try a CD, haven't yet.  Radio sounds pretty clean, though.

The amp has really got some kick!  I can tell that already, just in the garage.  Whoever on here said that going to the Hawg Wired amp and speakers from the Hog Tunes speakers was about the same leap as going to Hog Tunes from the stock speakers was right on.  The clarity of these speakers in the vocal range (where our ears are the most sensitive) is amazing.  It sounds like Toby Keith and Martina McBride are in my garage! :shocked2:  I was skeptical about spending the $500 or $600 premimum over a replacement set of Hog Tunes speakers when I cannibalized them from the SEEG to give to the SERG a couple of weeks ago, but in yet another case of "you get what you pay for," now I'm already wondering how long the Hog Tunes can possibly last in the SERG now that I've got the Hawg Wired system in the SEEG.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2008, 09:53:12 PM »

Yeah, this does it whether the head unit's on or not.  There is some buzzing that you hear in between songs on the MP3 player that increases/decreases with the volume setting, but it could be distortion coming from it, not the amp.  No doubt a running motor will make it totally go away.  Need to try a CD, haven't yet.  Radio sounds pretty clean, though.

The amp has really got some kick!  I can tell that already, just in the garage.  Whoever on here said that going to the Hawg Wired amp and speakers from the Hog Tunes speakers was about the same leap as going to Hog Tunes from the stock speakers was right on.  The clarity of these speakers in the vocal range (where our ears are the most sensitive) is amazing.  It sounds like Toby Keith and Martina McBride are in my garage! :shocked2:  I was skeptical about spending the $500 or $600 premimum over a replacement set of Hog Tunes speakers when I cannibalized them from the SEEG to give to the SERG a couple of weeks ago, but in yet another case of "you get what you pay for," now I'm already wondering how long the Hog Tunes can possibly last in the SERG now that I've got the Hawg Wired system in the SEEG.

Sounds like you've had the same impression I did when going through all the incremental steps.  It's a nice setup.  Crank it up and enjoy.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »

The Hogtunes are very good over stock.  The HWired is just plan great over the former.  It's hard to justify spending so much money, but when the HW works as advertised, it's worth it.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2008, 10:25:35 PM »

Hey, Bob, you have the Direct Connect amp, right?  Do you have any popping with your when you turn the ignition off?  It's pretty loud on this one and just hope it's not doing any damage to the speakers.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2008, 10:36:45 PM »

Hey, Bob, you have the Direct Connect amp, right?  Do you have any popping with your when you turn the ignition off?  It's pretty loud on this one and just hope it's not doing any damage to the speakers.

Yes, I have the CX speakers and the direct connect amp..  I don't have the noise you have.  I didn't have any AM radio and had a little noise in the radio when I had my bixenon ballast laying on the radio last year.  Everything was fine when I moved it.  Too bad it's a weekend and have to wait until HW opens.  I know Jim will get it straightened out with HW..  Just a pain to do everything twice.

You remembered to use the speaker wires you had to find tied up under the fairing to bypass the internal radio amp?

Other than that, I don't know what the problem is Brian.  Good luck and let us know what it was.  Bob

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »

Thanks, Bob.  Yeah, I hooked the speakers up to the stock leads to make sure they worked, first, but then tied those up and out of the way and used the other set of leads after I insalled and connected the DC amp.  I'll wait and see what Lets_Roll comes up with when he switches his out.  Swapping the amp is no biggie, so if that takes care of his I'll see if I can do the same.

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2008, 09:02:56 PM »

Ok guys, here is the problem. For the 04-05 Seeg we need to unplug the white plug behind the radio.  To the right as you're looking at it w/ the fairing removed.  That is the power supply to the amp that's on the bikes allready, (that we're not using anymore) so the amp is powering down and it comes thru.  Unplug it and tie it up out of the way.  Did it after HD Dude sent me another amp and it still did the same thing.  Called the Dude and after a few minutes he figured it out.  So the amps are good.  Try that and see what happens.  Laaaaaaaaaater,  Let's Roll

pic. is of the plug that needs to be disconnected
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.