Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: American Iron Mag HOG Helpline  (Read 28679 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: American Iron Mag HOG Helpline
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 08:44:54 AM »

The major "trade" magazines in every industry, are funded thru advertising, by the big companies in those industries. These magazines rarely say anything bad about those companies. It's a "don't bite the hand that feeds you" thing! ;)

Hoist! :o
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:51:35 AM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 10:06:40 AM »

Years ago biker mags were many times thinly veiled advertisements for the products they "reviewed".  Stopped subscribing to any a LONG time ago, since the favorites were getting good reviews and the less favorites (not enough ad revenue perhaps?) got poor reviews, regardless of product.

The public is skeptical on media in general now, not just biker mags.  Most media has an agenda, and whatever that is, they push it.  Those who like it tend to lap it up & those who dislike it seek other media they tend to agree with.  Ad revenues & market share rule the day, and objectivity is relegated to the aspect of a convenience too many times.

Forums like this one shed the light of day (truth) since most who post do so to share info, and IMHO that is a better source than many media outlets on biker issues such as this 110 problem.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 10:26:23 AM »

This is definitely an opportunity that does not need to be passed up.  Might actually cause the mag to do a little investigative reporting instead of just parroting what some dealer told them.

If I had a 110 and had the problem, they would for sure hear from me...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 10:36:29 AM »

You're dead nuts on about the quality of information is better here than in the rags, but we have to realize that we only have 4,656 members here and the rags have a much broader circulation.

:indian_chief:

True, on the circulation vs membership here, my above comments are better suited for those who have been paying attention to the media INATTENTION to this issue.  I know my local dealer did a COMPLETE engine swap on a 110 last year & the MoCo responded very quickly & overnighted a new 110 in by van.  Dealer did not take the engine down - it was shipped intact back to Milwaukee.  So obviously somebody up there knew there were issues.  Whether these could be identifiable by VIN/production dates is still anybody's guess.  So far they are handling these issues as if they are one-offs, when obviously they are not.

My opinion of much media, particularly print, is in my most polite term, dismal.  So many times the so called objectivity is more subjective than not.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 12:37:20 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

vagabond6542

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 10:41:34 AM »

The only part about this that I find strange is that someone else might find it to be shocking or unusual.  I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but this sort of thing didn't go away with the convictions of folks like Ken Lay or Conrad Black.  It has always been a part of business (you rub my back, I'll rub yours), it just took the "ME" generation to turn it into an art form.  Call me a cynic (actually, that would be one of the better things I've been called over the years  8) , but I don't see a mad dash toward true integrity in business and/or politics happening in the rest of my lifetime.  The "what's in it for me" attitude is just too pervasive in our society.

Jerry

Jerry,
It is call pragmatism with a "without regard to the players".
This has been around for a very long time.
IMHHO

George
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:44:05 AM by vagabond6542 »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 10:56:24 AM »

I was just at a Christmas Party this week .................
big time players, (with hot babe girlfriends/wives :-*)

Wow, wives and girlfriends at the same party  :'(
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »

Wow, wives and girlfriends at the same party  :'(
:huepfenlol2:
I like shiny stuff!

deputydawg

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 11:05:33 AM »

No, No! Just one Feline per customer. Mark :coolblue:
It's OK, we're just trying to have fun!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »

You're dead nuts on about the quality of information is better here than in the rags, but we have to realize that we only have 4,656 members here and the rags have a much broader circulation.

We have all been clamoring for publicity of this problem. Ideas of class action law suits and ads in the New York Times have been offered up. Well, here it is, publicity. Now, what are we going to do about it? Let the editor put it to bed by claiming that his dealer says its a non-issue? I hope not.

Because of what you mentioned the Admin of this forum has asked that this not be done publicly on this forum, and would further like to add that the site not be mentioned in any publications as the source for/of this information. If any one would like to contact media or any other public source it would be appreciated if it was represented as "owners" of the bikes involved instead of "members of CVOHarley" or the mention of "CVOHarley" in there statements. Thanks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »

Because of what you mentioned the Admin of this forum has asked that this not be done publicly on this forum, and would further like to add that the site not be mentioned in any publications as the source for/of this information. If any one would like to contact media or any other public source it would be appreciated if it was represented as "owners" of the bikes involved instead of "members of CVOHarley" or the mention of "CVOHarley" in there statements. Thanks.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Oops. Did I do it too? If so, sorry.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 11:40:02 AM »

we are not asking that just to be a pain in the A$% we are trying to look out for the best interest to the site. rightfully or wrongfully other forum based sites have had legal battles with the corporations for which they are unofficial owners groups to. because of this we do our best to not have the site put into that position
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 11:57:31 AM »

Singed up and posted my experience.  :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 11:58:56 AM »

we are not asking that just to be a pain in the A$% we are trying to look out for the best interest to the site. rightfully or wrongfully other forum based sites have had legal battles with the corporations for which they are unofficial owners groups to. because of this we do our best to not have the site put into that position

Naitram

I read the article and thought it was good to be mentioned in a major publication.
But being mentioned can also mean being associated with a problem.

Your right, protecting the "Mother Ship" is of utmost importance.
Bet you never thought that would be an issue when you started this site did you?

:nixweiss:                     :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 12:08:14 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Potential legal issues aside, I think posting or responding as individual owners is more powerful then posting as members of the CVO Forum. 

I think it would be easy for some to dismiss our comments as "those CVO Forum guys" and lump all our comments into an "agenda" category. 

IMO lots of responses as individual owners would carry more weight and lend credibility to the issue...

Scott

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 12:36:53 PM »

I posted my story there.  And yes unfortunately our bikes/motors will be treated like lepers.
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.