Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: FXR4's  (Read 27227 times)

fxr4

• ride it like you stole it
FXR4's
« on: January 08, 2004, 12:44:25 PM »

Well seems someone has asked if there are any FXR2 or FXR3 owners out there so I thought I would ask if there are any FXR4 owners out there. Had mine for about 2 1/2 years and love it. Have had some engine mods done and she runs pretty strong now. I really have enjoyed this bike better than others I've owned. Love the looks and handling.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: FXR4's
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 03:48:42 PM »

FXR4....what you said in the Glide forum......is why I visit all the forums, too.  Like I said in my other posts, I've already learned about the FXR CVO's from you.

I hope you hang around here long enough that when another FXR CVO owner shows up, there will be somebody here to greet him (or her).

It's gonna go kind of slow here, but I think it will pick up speed over the next six months.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

fxr4

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 08:14:19 PM »

Plan on hanging around JCZ. I've learned alot from you and others by your posts. I  still don't know alot about every CVO just mine but we can all learn from each other here. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 08:34:28 PM »

Yeah I 'm an fxr4 owner. I really am enjoying it. Got it the first of November. Kinda of bad timing weather wise, bit I'm still getting some riding time in. I really like all the fxrs....I didnt set out to buy a 4, but it was available at a nice price. I've added a few doodads (forward controls) and some chrome bolt covers. So FXR4, what engine mods have you done?

fxr4

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 10:43:29 PM »

Hatchetjak I've had the heads reworked,& new pistons, bigger cam , crane ignition ,Mikuni carb., & roller rockers installed to name a few things. Also running a V&H 2into1 pro pipe. I also have put a 21" frt. wheel on. Probably fixing to put a 70 tooth rear pulley on as it seems to be geared to high.   Well I've rambled on long enough. Glad to talk to another FXR4 owner. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 10:49:38 AM »

Sounds like some well thought out engine mods. I doubt that I will do anything that major. I do agree that these bikes seem to be high geared, but I don't mind, I like the low rpm on the hiway. I bet that 21inch front wheel looks great. I have been wondering if a 140 or 150 tire would be possible on the rear, (fender clearance). Maybe you, or someone, would know. hj

fxr4

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 01:42:28 PM »

They are geared like softails. The 94 and previous FXR's had a 70 tooth pulley just like all the EVO Dynas. On the tires HJ I'm running a 140 Avon Venom X with no issues. Have been told a 150 would work by some and that it  wouldn't work by others. So who knows .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 08:28:30 PM by FXR4 »

Gordon04

• Love my FXR4 and wife
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 03:04:22 AM »

Picked up my "new" FXR4 New Year's Eve.   Just love it.    Rides like a dream.  My first HD.  I would appreciate any real information on the FXR4s.  Have found 1 article on the bike from 1999, but can't find any real information on them.  If you know of articles or books please LMK.  Thanks for any help.

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2004, 10:57:14 AM »

I'm here too.  Got 12,000 miles on my tango FXR4.  Done plenty of +500 mi days.  Custom seat (Rich's).  Forward controls (floorboards).  Mikuni 42.  SE Cam.  SE Air.  Bub stubbies.  Pull-back handlebars.  Tall sissy (for the t bag).

It flies, and can tour quite comfortably.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 06:35:58 PM »

Plan on hanging around JCZ. I've learned alot from you and others by your posts. I
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 06:37:09 PM by psychodeuce »

RedFXR2

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 07:41:37 PM »

In brief, FXR's debuted in 1982 as the Superglide II.  They continued in 1983 and then got the EVO engine in 1984 and continued in that form until they were discontinued in 1994.  The frame design was derived from the XR racing frames of the day, meaning lighter and stiffer than the previous big twin frames.  They also got rubber mounted engines.  Some Harley diehards were offended by the visible frame members and side covers, saying that it reminded them of japanese bikes, but the lighter weight and handling characteristics, combined with the EVO and rummber mounts made for a Harley with great handling and acceleration.  In 1982 Cycle World tested an FXR at 14.26 in the quarter and 99 MPH in a flying half mile.  

In 1991 FXR's were still being made but Harley brought out a new frame design called the FXDB Sturgis and it soon developed into a line all its own, replacing the FXR frame in 1995.  The FXR's weren't selling as well as anticipated and the Sturgis was well received.  The low sales of them while new coupled with the discovery of what good bikes they really are make them not so commonly found on the used market today.

There are still those both in and out of HD that think that the FXR was the best thing Harley ever made.  As I was trying to decide what Harley I wanted I read up on all the models and was wishing that they still made them.  I am a former british bike fan and loved the handling of my Triumph Trident.  My FXR2 reminds me a lot of it--great handling but stable as a freight train on the highway ( and a whole bunch more trouble free).  I lucked across my FXR2 on consignment at a local shop.  Pristine condition.

When the CVO was opened in in York, PA. 1999, the FXR tooling was still around and HD realized that the newly introduced TC 88 wouldn't fit into the FXR frrame without substantial rework.  Knowing that the FXR still had plenty of fans both in and out of the Motor Company, they decided to use it as the first thing from the CVO.  The made 900 of each color of the FXR2 and 3 in 1999 and another 900 of each color FXR4 in 2000.

Any more and I'd be plagiarizing books but I hope that helps.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 11:01:05 PM »

Thanks for the explanation. Seems these bikes might become increasingly rare, sought after, and increase in value with each passing year. Not like my Deuce, which might become rare in about 150 years or so when most others have been scrapped in the junk pile. If I could only figure out how to live that long while preserving my bike I'd be al set!

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 09:28:36 AM »

That rarity in the market is (I think) already apparent by looking at prices in the Kelly Motorcycle Blue Book.  There things are still selling for almost what they cost new.  The guy that owns the shop where I bought it has built several show winning customs and could ride any HD or custom he wanted but his personal bike is an aging (gracefully) FXR.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.tp?kbb&;rc&17&zrc;Motorcycles

Me, I fgure I'll keep mine for as long as I continue to ride, although sometimes I think I should put in in my living room and just admire it. :)

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 11:15:43 AM »

That rarity in the market is (I think) already apparent by looking at prices in the Kelly Motorcycle Blue Book.

$17,550 for the FXR4, if I read KBB right.  That sounds about right.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 12:08:19 PM »

Just a little tidbit of info for anyone is not aware, Eric Buell designed the frame. [smiley=1syellow1.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.