Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: FXR4's  (Read 27224 times)

fxr4

• ride it like you stole it
FXR4's
« on: January 08, 2004, 12:44:25 PM »

Well seems someone has asked if there are any FXR2 or FXR3 owners out there so I thought I would ask if there are any FXR4 owners out there. Had mine for about 2 1/2 years and love it. Have had some engine mods done and she runs pretty strong now. I really have enjoyed this bike better than others I've owned. Love the looks and handling.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: FXR4's
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 03:48:42 PM »

FXR4....what you said in the Glide forum......is why I visit all the forums, too.  Like I said in my other posts, I've already learned about the FXR CVO's from you.

I hope you hang around here long enough that when another FXR CVO owner shows up, there will be somebody here to greet him (or her).

It's gonna go kind of slow here, but I think it will pick up speed over the next six months.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

fxr4

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 08:14:19 PM »

Plan on hanging around JCZ. I've learned alot from you and others by your posts. I  still don't know alot about every CVO just mine but we can all learn from each other here. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 08:34:28 PM »

Yeah I 'm an fxr4 owner. I really am enjoying it. Got it the first of November. Kinda of bad timing weather wise, bit I'm still getting some riding time in. I really like all the fxrs....I didnt set out to buy a 4, but it was available at a nice price. I've added a few doodads (forward controls) and some chrome bolt covers. So FXR4, what engine mods have you done?

fxr4

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 10:43:29 PM »

Hatchetjak I've had the heads reworked,& new pistons, bigger cam , crane ignition ,Mikuni carb., & roller rockers installed to name a few things. Also running a V&H 2into1 pro pipe. I also have put a 21" frt. wheel on. Probably fixing to put a 70 tooth rear pulley on as it seems to be geared to high.   Well I've rambled on long enough. Glad to talk to another FXR4 owner. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 10:49:38 AM »

Sounds like some well thought out engine mods. I doubt that I will do anything that major. I do agree that these bikes seem to be high geared, but I don't mind, I like the low rpm on the hiway. I bet that 21inch front wheel looks great. I have been wondering if a 140 or 150 tire would be possible on the rear, (fender clearance). Maybe you, or someone, would know. hj

fxr4

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 01:42:28 PM »

They are geared like softails. The 94 and previous FXR's had a 70 tooth pulley just like all the EVO Dynas. On the tires HJ I'm running a 140 Avon Venom X with no issues. Have been told a 150 would work by some and that it  wouldn't work by others. So who knows .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 08:28:30 PM by FXR4 »

Gordon04

• Love my FXR4 and wife
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 03:04:22 AM »

Picked up my "new" FXR4 New Year's Eve.   Just love it.    Rides like a dream.  My first HD.  I would appreciate any real information on the FXR4s.  Have found 1 article on the bike from 1999, but can't find any real information on them.  If you know of articles or books please LMK.  Thanks for any help.

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2004, 10:57:14 AM »

I'm here too.  Got 12,000 miles on my tango FXR4.  Done plenty of +500 mi days.  Custom seat (Rich's).  Forward controls (floorboards).  Mikuni 42.  SE Cam.  SE Air.  Bub stubbies.  Pull-back handlebars.  Tall sissy (for the t bag).

It flies, and can tour quite comfortably.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 06:35:58 PM »

Plan on hanging around JCZ. I've learned alot from you and others by your posts. I
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 06:37:09 PM by psychodeuce »

RedFXR2

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 07:41:37 PM »

In brief, FXR's debuted in 1982 as the Superglide II.  They continued in 1983 and then got the EVO engine in 1984 and continued in that form until they were discontinued in 1994.  The frame design was derived from the XR racing frames of the day, meaning lighter and stiffer than the previous big twin frames.  They also got rubber mounted engines.  Some Harley diehards were offended by the visible frame members and side covers, saying that it reminded them of japanese bikes, but the lighter weight and handling characteristics, combined with the EVO and rummber mounts made for a Harley with great handling and acceleration.  In 1982 Cycle World tested an FXR at 14.26 in the quarter and 99 MPH in a flying half mile.  

In 1991 FXR's were still being made but Harley brought out a new frame design called the FXDB Sturgis and it soon developed into a line all its own, replacing the FXR frame in 1995.  The FXR's weren't selling as well as anticipated and the Sturgis was well received.  The low sales of them while new coupled with the discovery of what good bikes they really are make them not so commonly found on the used market today.

There are still those both in and out of HD that think that the FXR was the best thing Harley ever made.  As I was trying to decide what Harley I wanted I read up on all the models and was wishing that they still made them.  I am a former british bike fan and loved the handling of my Triumph Trident.  My FXR2 reminds me a lot of it--great handling but stable as a freight train on the highway ( and a whole bunch more trouble free).  I lucked across my FXR2 on consignment at a local shop.  Pristine condition.

When the CVO was opened in in York, PA. 1999, the FXR tooling was still around and HD realized that the newly introduced TC 88 wouldn't fit into the FXR frrame without substantial rework.  Knowing that the FXR still had plenty of fans both in and out of the Motor Company, they decided to use it as the first thing from the CVO.  The made 900 of each color of the FXR2 and 3 in 1999 and another 900 of each color FXR4 in 2000.

Any more and I'd be plagiarizing books but I hope that helps.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 11:01:05 PM »

Thanks for the explanation. Seems these bikes might become increasingly rare, sought after, and increase in value with each passing year. Not like my Deuce, which might become rare in about 150 years or so when most others have been scrapped in the junk pile. If I could only figure out how to live that long while preserving my bike I'd be al set!

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 09:28:36 AM »

That rarity in the market is (I think) already apparent by looking at prices in the Kelly Motorcycle Blue Book.  There things are still selling for almost what they cost new.  The guy that owns the shop where I bought it has built several show winning customs and could ride any HD or custom he wanted but his personal bike is an aging (gracefully) FXR.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.tp?kbb&;rc&17&zrc;Motorcycles

Me, I fgure I'll keep mine for as long as I continue to ride, although sometimes I think I should put in in my living room and just admire it. :)

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 11:15:43 AM »

That rarity in the market is (I think) already apparent by looking at prices in the Kelly Motorcycle Blue Book.

$17,550 for the FXR4, if I read KBB right.  That sounds about right.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 12:08:19 PM »

Just a little tidbit of info for anyone is not aware, Eric Buell designed the frame. [smiley=1syellow1.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

RedFXR2

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2004, 09:58:45 AM »

About prices--My 1999 FXR2 had a 49 state MSRP (new) of $16995.  The current Kelly retail for it (used) is $15860.  Pretty darn good at holding it's value.  I imagine the other CVO FXR's are comparable although I don't know their MSRP's.

I know that mine was purchased new locally, but since only 900 were made, not every dealer in the country even got one to sell, so I would imagine that the MSRP's were jacked up quite a bit by the dealers, and perhaps that should be taken into consideration.  Still, they're extremely good values.

DOUG_in_PHX

• IgoLD
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2004, 01:34:28 PM »

I'm here too.  Got 12,000 miles on my tango FXR4.  Done plenty of +500 mi days.  Custom seat (Rich's).  Forward controls (floorboards).  Mikuni 42.  SE Cam.  SE Air.  Bub stubbies.  Pull-back handlebars.  Tall sissy (for the t bag).

It flies, and can tour quite comfortably.

CAN we have more information about the Rich's custom seat?  I just got an FXR3, have the stock seat on it and a Corbin Gambler ( I think) which I will sell, as it is not comfortable for me.  I know there are a number of custom seat makers for Long Distance riders... is Rich's one of those?

Thanks,
DOUG in PHX
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 01:35:36 PM by DOUG_in_PHX »

DOUG in PHX

IgoLD

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 11:49:16 AM »

CAN we have more information about the Rich's custom seat?

mfgreen

Re: FXR4's - press release
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2005, 01:11:06 AM »

Harley-Davidson FXR4

FXR + EVO = Head Turner
By the Motorcycle Online Staff

LOS ANGELES, October 13, 1999 -- Cruisers are huge right now, accounting for the largest-selling segment of new motorcycle sales. And with new bikes flying off the showroom floors one right after the other, it's no surprise that aftermarket accessory suppliers are thriving as well. After all, when you've just plunked down a few month's worth of take-home pay, you don't want to look like everyone else on the road.

Harley-Davidson, leading the cruiser charge, decided that since their bikes were often the magnets for many aftermarket goodies they'd do a little customization in-house. The guys responsible for these changes are part of Harley's Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) program, and it's their goal to build low-volume, highly-customized cruisers better than anyone in the aftermarket. CVO has tried this approach before with their FXR2 and FXR3 and the result was a bike that dealers had more demand for than they knew what to do with.

With their newest exercise in customization, the FXR4 goes out farther on a limb than the precious versions. The chassis and 1340cc Evolution powertrain are standard fare, and while most of the mods that were made to the FXR2 and FXR3 are carried over to the newest model, the FXR4 boasts fourteen more goodies.

Most of the new add-ons are purely eye candy, such as the tear-drop-shape floating brake rotors, a laced 19-inch front wheel, chrome drag bars, a solid FLSTF rear chrome wheel, a chrome rear sprocket cover, billet mirrors, a chrome lower guard, wide-band billet footpegs, grips and shifter peg. A few of the items are performance oriented, however, like the new seat, dual four-piston calipers, P&A rear shocks, sealed wheel bearings and a sealed battery.

The production run is set for 970 units, each with a suggested retail price of $17,995, with prices in California slightly higher. The bikes are available in both Screaming Yellow Pearl and Candy Tangerine paint schemes with new Eclipse graphics.

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2005, 07:13:11 AM »

i'm looking at purchasing again fxr4, and noticed value has dropped since advent of twim cams.  have the fxr's in general lost interest?  how do you see the collectalbe value?  is 13.5 too much to pay for clean fxr4?

RedFXR2

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2005, 05:36:59 PM »

I have found that FXR's still have a niche following out there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 06:54:17 PM by RedFXR2 »

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2005, 08:47:15 PM »

thanks for your reply. i've owned all the fxr's when they were first released and they still charm me. i've found fxr2 (blue) low ,miles and that fxr4 w/ 6k miles..and am torn between the 2 bikes equal amt of accessories too.  blue or yellow..both units in the 13-13.5 range. nada values much less than kbb...which is more accurate?? they handle well, and hold up very dependalble too. i guess the fxr2's are less in value..and year older than the fxr4..so really worth less.  like you say..it comes down to what you want..but now market has changed so i don't want to pay 2k over average retail for 99-00 bike.
do you prefer your fxr2 over fxr4?
2 is more conservative, 4 more graphic..nearly same options.
thanks or your opinion

ps this will not be my only harley, i have touring bike also...road glide..and it is great!

RedFXR2

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2005, 09:42:30 PM »

i've found fxr2 (blue) low ,miles and that fxr4 w/ 6k miles..and am torn between the 2 bikes equal amt of accessories too.

Right before I left NC last Spring the same shop where I bought mine had a blue FXR3 on consignment that only had 60-something miles (really--I saw it).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 10:07:01 AM by RedFXR2 »

fxr4

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2005, 10:13:10 PM »

I agree with you RedFXR2. The FXR4 has electronic speedo and such. The axle size was also changed with the rest of the 2000 models. This is good and bad. I had a hard time finding a 21" frt. wheel because of the axle size and dual disc. I like them all. I see more red fxr 2's than blue ones but it is still rare to see any of them. Alot of people don't know what my FXR4 is and tell me nice sporty. I just tell em thanks. Just my .02

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2005, 10:40:26 PM »

looks like good following of fxr owners out there. i have friend who works for hd and has logged over 100,000 miles on his 93 fxr..and prefers it over any harley. he bought it new..and original owner, road w/ him last weekend.
still can't decide between fxr2 and fxr4 for same money..and just found 2 fxr3's blue for sale too...must be time of year to get em ready for cold storage..many thanks for the input on these units. these first cvo's are unique for sure...

RedFXR2

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2005, 02:21:50 PM »

The FXR4 has electronic speedo and such. The axle size was also changed with the rest of the 2000 models.

I never knew about the electronic speedo.  Thanks for the info.

fxr4

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2005, 08:38:47 PM »

No problem. That's what's so great about this place. We all learn something from each other.

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
Just stumbled in to the discussion
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2005, 04:04:57 PM »

Hey...

Buy the bike. Either bike. Whichever one your heart tells you to.

You know one feels more like your bike than the other.

I personally prefer the bike with the lower production number. But, the negative is that some parts will be tougher to find (you know...like in case you wreck)

I LOVE my FXR3 and will NEVER part with it. It's my first Harley. And, it's become part of me when I ride...you just feel connected to it. When that happens, if you ever sell/trade the bike, you'll always regret it.

Welcome to the family...
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2005, 08:05:23 PM »

well you are right, i've owned fxr's before ..and now getting fxr4 again...w/ plans on keeping her.  sold em in past for bigger bikes..and can appreciate smaller frame..and better handling of fxr. part of harlies past that will be missed.

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2005, 01:06:58 AM »

I've always seen more green FXR3's and yellow FXR4's.

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2005, 06:48:28 AM »

Where can one get accurate number of fxr2's, 3's 4's produced.  i've heard varing numbers on all these fxrs.  most say 900 each, of which 450 of each color. in all two colors for each variety.  2's red, blue, 3's green, blue, fxr4 yellow and tangeerine. but more of one color than another.  more red's, greens, yellows..but harley must have that info recorded someone.  can any of you get real numbers produced on these units.  i'm getting yellow fxr4 tomorrow..and going 1k miles one way to get her..i'm  partial to yellow..and already had tangerine 2 yrs ago.  why do these handle so much better than dynas? if they handled so well why not put twins cams in that frame( w/ modification) and continue.  these evo's still good strong motor and durable too. i think the cvo fxrs have depreciated as far as they will, and now are holding value against current cookie cutter dynas..and lot better rider than sportys. us fxr cvo owners have something special in a sea of bikes out there...ride on!! i'll post shot of her ..once obtained ..and secure.

just item of concern...whats all folks doing down south w/ bikes?  may be bunch of flood damaged units available soon..who knows

RedFXR2

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2005, 11:53:54 AM »

I have tried to determine the color by color breakdown of each model but have never seen reliable statements.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 12:37:31 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2005, 12:40:46 PM »

The SEFXR2:

RedFXR2

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2005, 12:46:56 PM »

The SE Evo:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2005, 02:38:54 PM »

Are you buying that one in Iowa I saw on ebay with 600 miles on the clock?

That bike is also listed in the "For Sale" section here on the board.  I told my wife I was gonna buy it and that's as far as I got. [smiley=cry2.gif]

RedFXR2

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 02:38:15 PM »

That bike is also listed in the "For Sale" section here on the board.

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2005, 09:01:59 PM »

bought fxr4 in wisconsin w/ 6k miles and few accessories, got to spend a day or so cleaning her up..lots of rain in illinois, kentucy, tn. nice drive..and well worth the trip.  saw lot of bikes out this weekend..in spite of the rain!!

macbiker

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2005, 09:01:27 PM »

This is just an FYI for all you FXR4 owners.

RedFXR2

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2005, 11:28:09 AM »

This is just an FYI for all you FXR4 owners.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 11:42:26 AM by RedFXR2 »

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2006, 09:02:05 PM »

any fxr2,3,4's going to the fall rally in the smokies? Looks like i can make this gathering. we are only 5hrs away so probably will ride entire trip. I guess we should make reservations soon..but must get my plans set for Sturgis first..then this rally.  It will be good to see selection of cvo's. Look forward to it!  Sure like my yellow fxr4..and really look forward to the warmer weather.  In alabama we ride year round..but more fun w/ warmer temps.  

RedFXR2

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2006, 10:46:20 AM »

any fxr2,3,4's going to the fall rally in the smokies?

I wish I could definitely say yes right now but just can't commit yet.  I was there last April and can attest to the quality of the group of folks you'll meet.

It's early, so I'm still hoping.  Would love to meet some other FXR fans--only two of us there in April.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2006, 02:59:07 PM »

I wish I could definitely say yes right now but just can't commit yet.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2006, 04:17:12 PM »

And book your room now while there is still rooms available.  You can always cancel later if indeed something stops you from being able to make it.  I booked our room, submitted a leave request as soon as 103 posted information.  So I am planning and my boss knows I am planning on attending.  Now if something goes South for some strange reason....

I will be so sad........... :'(

More FXRs would be great.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2006, 09:40:18 PM »

Good advice, Mrs.We.  Just don't forget the 30 day cancellation policy if you do!

FXR4INCA

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2006, 09:17:19 AM »

I love my fxr4, it is my 4th harley, & by far my favorite.  Im having a hard time finding saddlebags that will wirk with my turn signals. Any advise would be appreciated.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2006, 07:07:15 PM »

What's a nice FXR4 going for these days. I get around a bit and love FXR's even though I don't own one any more. Used to be everyone's go to guy for anything FXR  In any event, I would post stuff I see for sale in my travels if I thought it was a good deal. Last one I saw was at Bumpus in Memphis for $17,500 last fall. It was all there except the original exhaust and a few doo dads had been added.. Very nice ride, one of my all time favorites. Any one of you who owns one , good for you and take care of it.

RedFXR2

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2006, 07:31:10 PM »

Kelly Blue Book says $15085.

I periodically surf the various online dealers periodically just to check prices for the FXR2-3-4 line and find the mid teens to be pretty much standard, depending on mileage and condition, of course.

HD hasn't mass produced that frame (light, yet stiff so they handle great and transfer power to the ground very efficiently as well) since 1994 and only made 900 each of the 3 CVO FXR's in 1999 and 2000 so there's not very many around.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 07:42:05 PM by RedFXR2 »

FXR4INCA

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2006, 08:20:57 AM »

I spent about 4 months looking looking for my fxr. I found that they seem to be priced differently around the country. Here in california they go for 15000+. I found mine at a dealer in Kentucky for 10,995, then paid $625 to have it shipped to me. It had 9800 miles on it, The chrome is a little pitted here & there, one of the side covers has a chip in the paint, and the paint on the rear fender is chipped by where the seat bolt is. I had to do the 10,000 mi service, and it will need new tires soon. But it runs & rides perfect. All in all I think I got a really good deal.  

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2006, 01:58:38 PM »

What's a nice FXR4 going for these days. I get around a bit and love FXR's even though I don't own one any more. Used to be everyone's go to guy for anything FXR
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 01:59:58 PM by MJZ »

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2006, 02:12:16 PM »

It is still there, saw it and a 02 FXDWG3 there yesterday. They tell me there has really not been any interest in the "Ole Yeller" probably due to the motor, new people are afraid of the Evo.

Nevermind!!! It sold this morning for 16,500. Had 11,405 miles. Chit, it sat there on the floor for a year with no interest, I go in yesterday, get a good eyeball of it, call back today to deal and bam, it's sold. Just my luck. :'(

RedFXR2

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2006, 02:34:49 PM »

It is still there, saw it and a 02 FXDWG3 there yesterday. They tell me there has really not been any interest in the "Ole Yeller" probably due to the motor, new people are afraid of the Evo.

Wouldn't doubt it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 02:38:17 PM by RedFXR2 »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2006, 04:06:41 PM »

[highlight]Plus, a lot of people nowadays, unless they know Harleys, really don't know what a FXR is/was.[/highlight]    

Sad but so very true. I regret having divested myself of my FXR's and a garage full of parts, but you know it's like that Three Non Blondes album  Bigger Better Faster More   You get caught up in the gotta have the latest thing. I am really hoping to grow old with my  03 SERK now that I have filled the garage with spare parts for it

RedFXR2

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2006, 05:13:04 PM »

You get caught up in the gotta have the latest thing.

Oh, yes, I understand.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 05:17:20 PM by RedFXR2 »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2006, 06:47:24 PM »

Hard to believe that yellow 4 sat at Bumpus for a whole year. Wish now I had bought it, chit I've spent sixteen five on parts for Elvis since them   but anyway, kinda funny to think of the Twin Cam crowd havin the same attitude toward Evo's that the Evo crowd had toward Shovelheads and the Shovelhead - -- -  back to 1903 probably but then again talk to folks that have never owned or ridden a Revolution and you get the same thing in reverse - - - or is that forward ?

RedFXR2

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2006, 08:07:08 PM »

... kinda funny to think of the Twin Cam crowd havin the same attitude toward Evo's that the Evo crowd had toward Shovelheads and the Shovelhead - -- -

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2006, 02:30:42 PM »

RE: "The made 900 of each color of the FXR2 and 3 in 1999 and another 900 of each color FXR4 in 2000."

I have always been told that HD will not say how many they make of each CVO, although the Stealer I bought my 4 from told me they made "about" 900 TOTAL. "About" 600 Yellow and "about" 300 Tangerine.

Don't know, don't really care, but that's what they said.
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2006, 03:17:32 PM »

RE: "It flies, and can tour quite comfortably"

Agree it flies, but I ain't in on the "tour quite comfortably" :-) maybe the custom stuff (H-bars, seat, etc) has improved your Tour-ability, but mine is "functionally" the way it came - and it is definately IMO a "cruiser". On the strip in Ybor City, can't be beat. Toolin' around Daytona, yep I'm in. But I-10 from Jacksonville to L.A.? FXR ain't my first choice, second or third either :-)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2006, 04:37:04 PM »

Agree it flies, but I ain't in on the "tour quite comfortably " :-) maybe the custom stuff (H-bars, seat, etc) has improved your Tour-ability, but mine is "functionally" the way it came - and it is definately IMO a "cruiser". On the strip in Ybor City, can't be beat. Toolin' around Daytona, yep I'm in. But I-10 from Jacksonville to L.A.? FXR ain't my first choice, second or third either :-)

Ever ride an FXRP,FXRT, or FXRD ?  I had an 86 RD Gran Touring Edition (whoops another limited edition H-D we forgot to add to the "CVO" list) and thought nothing of 600 mile days. Only made that model one year, it was a decked out RT with tour-pak, tape player, footboards, and D- - dual exhaust  Yep an FXR with Bagger exhaust.  Just saw a gorgeous Red RT in perfect shape go for 9k at San Diego H-D  I think the new owner bought it on faith and hoping to get the most bang for his buck. He won't be disappointed.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2006, 04:37:17 PM »

BTW... Here's mine.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »

Sweet ride dude  real sweet   ;)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2006, 10:19:24 AM »

Here's a newer pic. BTW, can anyone tell me how to get access to the "Gallery" linked aboved? I can view, but how can I get access to post instead of putting them all here?

Thanks...

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2006, 10:32:54 AM »

Damn you dude, now I want one   :D

FXRon2

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2006, 07:40:06 PM »

Killjoy,

Well, I'll have to let you know what I think about doing some real miles on my FXR2. I'm going to put about 1300+ on it next weekend. I'll be going to Tombstone and Phoenix (area) from San Diego. Plus I'll be doing some riding while I'm there (cruising?) I've never done more than about 200-300 on it in a day before.

As far as mods go....I have a detatchable windshield, forward controls, and of course the FXR4 seat. I'll just have a medium size bag on the passenger seat. I think I should be fine....

I'll let ya know when I get back...maybe some pix too....

Ron
1999 FXR2
1999 FLHR
1996 FXSTSB (Bad Boy)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2006, 07:56:49 PM »

Ron,

Sounds like a great time! Keep the shiny side up and we look forward to hearin' (& seein') all about it when you get back!

keep grinnin' in the wind...

keith

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2006, 01:50:07 PM »

if anyone needs any info on the fxr4 i have just about any info you might need. all info i have are from harley davidson when it was first introduced on the market. as well i have tons of mags with write ups in it when it was introduced.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2006, 10:24:55 PM »

if anyone needs any info on the fxr4 i have just about any info you might need. all info i have are from harley davidson when it was first introduced on the market. as well i have tons of mags with write ups in it when it was introduced.

Keith,
         I am thinking seriously about buying a yellow FXR4. Could you PM me with a list of all of the CVO stuff that should be on the bike. Even if the owner has modified it, I want all of the original parts so you vou could be my new best friend here by educating me on what I should be looking for.

Thanks,
           Big B

RedFXR2

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2006, 12:44:09 PM »

First, welcome to the board.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 12:47:15 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2006, 02:34:23 PM »

RE: long and short hauls on bikes.

Where does short end and long begin?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 02:39:35 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2006, 03:40:34 PM »

Sounds like a plan.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 03:42:39 PM by RedFXR2 »

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »

...as I recall the FXR4 came with flatter, drag-type bars.

What's wrong with the drag bars? I can easily get 50 - 60 miles before I get the aching elbows like nails driven through my joints! It only adds to the experience! The suffering only proves the dedication :-)

All kidding aside though, if you are thinking long-hauling vs. bar-hopping, you'll want to change the bars like Red suggests.

RedFXR2

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2006, 09:14:42 PM »

I'd like to get a gander up close of those bars if ya could

I'm probably the only one walking around that does not have a digital camera so it would be a while before I could produce a photo of my handlebars.  But maybe the next two drawings will help.

Schematic of FXR4 bars:

RedFXR2

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2006, 09:16:04 PM »

And the same schematic of my FXR2 bars.  You can see how much flatter the ones are on the 4.  Also, the risers on the 4 are straight vertical, while the ones on the 2 are pullback.

RedFXR2

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2006, 09:28:22 PM »

Not my bike but here's the bars on a FXR2:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:29:33 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2006, 08:21:35 PM »

Right down this page is a thread on HD VIN's

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1155850751

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2006, 04:29:45 PM »

Elvislee

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 04:31:32 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2006, 10:33:45 AM »

The FXR's are a sportier, lighter version of the current day FLH frame. This bike and the Evo motor saved HD (with the Feds help) from extinction. It was the best street bike of its day (and still is), used for touring an Police duty as well. Most "club" riders prefer this to any HD model ever. And they ride serious! To date, I still would take one over a Dyna any day. I built an 89" Evo Pro Street (Kenny Boyce frame). It uses all FXR components with the custom pro street frame. The bike weighs 425 lbs. and it flies. Anyone thinking of getting rid of an FXR-DON'T. You can not easily replace it. Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2006, 10:40:21 AM »

I had a FXRSP in the mid 90's, can't remember exactly when, Kirker 2 into 1 exhaust and really enjoyed it.

I have had several DWG's since and have truly enjoyed them as well although they aren't designed for the same style of riding.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 10:41:21 AM by Rjob749 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2006, 11:10:53 AM »

You can't compare the ride/handling of a "swingarm" bike to a softail. The softails were developed (and also helped save HD) around the 4 speed frames and the backbones were modified to fit the new Evo motors in 1984. The rear end section, behind the seat post, was redesigned for the look of a Rigid, with everything else being pretty much standard 4 speed frame (FX) stuff. They look great but can not handle like conventional swingarm bikes. The FXR's and FL's have a 3 point rubber mounting system with frame supported transmission/swingarm mounting (the 2 diamond shaped blocks below the seat). The Dyna's have a single rubber mount to the rear of the tranny which connects to the swingarm and frame. The swingarm is not directly connected to the frame. It's connected to the frame via the transmission. This is a cheaper and easier way to build bikes on an assembly line. That does NOT make for better performance, in my opinion, only cheaper. The FXR is a much stiffer chassis set-up than the Dyna and therefore handles better. Conversely, the softail chssis is just that (soft chassis) and the driveline is solid, not rubber-mounted. Even with stiffer shocks, the suspension just can't perform as well as conventional swingarm systems. That's why softails always had much more vibration and HD had to design the TC "B" motors so they didn't vibrate as much. I also have an '85 FXWG. This is a 4-speed swingarm bike, modified by the factory to fit the Evo's in '85/'86, when the 4-speed swingarm frames were scheduled to be discontinued (for the FXR!). It's a solid-mount, 4-speed Evo (with a kicker) and is smoother than a TC88"B". The 1985/86 4-speed swingarm Evo's were some of the best Harleys ever built. Enjoy your FXR's while you still can! Hoist!

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »

...I also have an '85 FXWG....

I had that bike too, in Black & Blue. What a Great bike!

...Enjoy your FXR's while you still can!...

Still can? FXR's [size=18]FOREVER[/size][/u]!!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2006, 06:28:29 PM »

Nice ride. It looks like a sweet machine. If you want another bike, don't get rid of that one. It's a keeper! Just like my Pro Street, FXWG, and soon to come '07 BI SERK! Ride safe and enjoy. Hoist!

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2006, 01:51:07 AM »

...Man thats a cool ride! What size tire you got on the rear? Is it stock? It looks a little bigger? Could be my eyes playing tricks again...Sweet Ride!

Thanks elvislee. It is actually stock, just the camera angle makes it look that way.

Robertgmitchell

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2006, 01:31:30 PM »

Hoist, I just bought an 85 FXWG on ebay and so far I love it. I had to fix a lot of electrical problems and the oil lines were routed incorrectly (puked 2 quarts of oil on first start). Do you have any pictures of the wiring mess under the seat. I cleaned my wires up a lot but I'm curious how the factory routed the wires.

I also have drag pipes and I installed baffles to get it through inspection. Should I remove them? They make a chirping sound that I don't like but I'm more concerned with proper tuning and power.

RGM
RGM
----------------------------------------------------------
Let's roll...

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2006, 10:02:36 PM »

Hoist, I just bought an 85 FXWG on ebay and so far I love it. I had to fix a lot of electrical problems and the oil lines were routed incorrectly (puked 2 quarts of oil on first start). Do you have any pictures of the wiring mess under the seat. I cleaned my wires up a lot but I'm curious how the factory routed the wires.

I also have drag pipes and I installed baffles to get it through inspection. Should I remove them? They make a chirping sound that I don't like but I'm more concerned with proper tuning and power.

RGM

Hey RGM, let me be the first to welcome you here.

Great looking ride, I only have one problem.  How the hell did a '85 get to be so old and I still feel like it is 1985 [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Robertgmitchell

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2006, 12:56:07 PM »

What's really sad is that I took my bike to Eastern Perf. over here in Maryland to get it through inspection and they wouldn't work on it. They don't work on evolutions or older. I guess the mechanics don't like getting dirt under there nails. It might upset the customers with "real" motorcycles. You know, the $50,000 customs.

Poor me, I'll have to wrench on my own ride.

RGM
RGM
----------------------------------------------------------
Let's roll...

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2006, 02:02:28 PM »

What's really sad is that I took my bike to Eastern Perf. over here in Maryland to get it through inspection and they wouldn't work on it. They don't work on evolutions or older. I guess the mechanics don't like getting dirt under there nails. It might upset the customers with "real" motorcycles. You know, the $50,000 customs.
Poor me, I'll have to wrench on my own ride. RGM

If only I had kept some of the bikes I have had over the years, small budgets and no good sense have let a  lot of great bikes go down the road.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2006, 06:44:29 PM »

...the customers with "real" motorcycles. You know, the $50,000 customs...

I hear ya, but if you ask me... a $50,000 custom is just a $10,000 bike with $40,000's worth of marketing and multiple brain-dead TV shows creating a "follow the herd" mentality in the new generation "bikers" (pronounced "RUBs") Pah-leeeze.

Everytime I see some 55 year old clown talking about or buying a Thunder Mountain or Big Dog for his first bike, I have to walk up and remind them about how far that money would go in golf clubs and country club dues.

Besides, IMO, they have exceeded good taste in the custom chopper building world, and have arrived at "whatever can be, but has never been done". I saw one at a local bike night with something around a 1 gallon fuel tank and a diamond-plate "seat". Yeah, that's practical!

You got the real bike - even if you have to find a "real shop" to wrench on it. Or even better yet if you have the knowledge, do the work yourself and know that it is done right. If you don't have the knowledge, take your time with your bike and a good service manual and learn - that way you know what you are riding inside and out. Most stealership mech's may have the required knowledge, but quite frankly they just don't care about your bike like you do.

Anyway, good luck and screw eastern performance. We're here if we can help.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2006, 07:40:40 PM »

I hear ya, but if you ask me... a $50,000 custom is just a $10,000 bike with $40,000's worth of marketing and multiple brain-dead TV shows creating a "follow the herd" mentality in the new generation "bikers" (pronounced "RUBs") Pah-leeeze.

Everytime I see some 55 year old clown talking about or buying a Thunder Mountain or Big Dog for his first bike, I have to walk up and remind them about how far that money would go in golf clubs and country club dues.

Besides, IMO, they have exceeded good taste in the custom chopper building world, and have arrived at "whatever can be, but has never been done". I saw one at a local bike night with something around a 1 gallon fuel tank and a diamond-plate "seat". Yeah, that's practical!

You got the real bike - even if you have to find a "real shop" to wrench on it. Or even better yet if you have the knowledge, do the work yourself and know that it is done right. If you don't have the knowledge, take your time with your bike and a good service manual and learn - that way you know what you are riding inside and out. Most stealership mech's may have the required knowledge, but quite frankly they just don't care about your bike like you do.

Anyway, good luck and screw eastern performance. We're here if we can help.

Should I go there?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaa
Not worth the effort.
Enjoy the ride!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2006, 08:40:57 PM »

Should I go there?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaa
Not worth the effort.
Enjoy the ride!
good boy!  ::) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2006, 03:18:39 AM »

RGM

Nice looking Glide!

There's are quite a few things to clean up on the old 4 speeds, to really have it right-on. Wiring-wise, you pretty much have to bring it up to modern standards to have it be trouble-free. I had my bike rewired for start, ignition, lighting and

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2006, 03:34:40 AM »

Also, keep an eye on the clutch. It has the old original diaphragm style with a keyway shaft. If you replace it use a Rivera pro clutch which presses into you stock clutch basket. Lock the basket to the shaft so you don't spin it. The old clutches don't cut it with a hot rod motor.

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2006, 11:58:35 PM »

Hey FXR boys.  Just picked up a Yellow FXR4 last weekend.  Got it from the original owner.  It had 1747 miles when I picked it up.  Totally original except for Accel 8mm Yellow wires and HD tapered mufflers.  He gave me the original wires and mufflers.

Been looking for one at a resonable price for months.  Put 150 miles on it on Sunday.  Great ride.  Fun bike.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2006, 04:22:34 AM »

Hey FXR boys.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2006, 08:34:31 AM »

Hey FXR boys.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2006, 11:21:04 AM »

Hey FXR boys.

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2006, 08:08:20 PM »

Thanks everyone.  As soon as I take some pictures, I will try to post.  Not too good with attaching.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2006, 05:38:36 PM »

hey ElvisLee, are those bars called: buckhorns?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] They look comfortable.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2006, 06:41:08 PM »

Yea Spyder; "Buckhorns" and they are comfortable. Man the change in ride comfort for the POSITIVE from the dragbars is unexplainable...One thing I'm still not sure about is the mirrors...The stock set straight out and still not sure if I like with the new bars...Gonna ride a while and see how it goes with them...Oh!...[highlight]Kept ALL the stock parts.[/highlight]
good deal, there.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 06:44:06 PM by spydglide »

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2006, 11:21:13 AM »

elvislee,

looks good! I wasn't sure it would look that good from hearing your plans, but man it really does. great job! I agree with the discussion about the mirrors though. I can't really see the rear axle in these pics. It is possible to snap a few shots of the CHROME axle and post in here?

Thanks!

~KJ

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2006, 07:28:05 PM »

Well folks...I wasn't gonna do this; but, here goes....!!!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Looking good, you should put one of these in this thread - Ok ..whats everybody look like?

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2006, 08:48:15 PM »

Just wanted to say I love the FXR's and try to stay away from this section cause wifey promised to divorce me if I buy another bike which I most certainly will if I keep looking at these gorgeous FXR's you guys have. You guys are the keepers of the flame  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Big B
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 21 queries.