Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: FXR4's  (Read 27298 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: FXR4's
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2006, 10:33:45 AM »

The FXR's are a sportier, lighter version of the current day FLH frame. This bike and the Evo motor saved HD (with the Feds help) from extinction. It was the best street bike of its day (and still is), used for touring an Police duty as well. Most "club" riders prefer this to any HD model ever. And they ride serious! To date, I still would take one over a Dyna any day. I built an 89" Evo Pro Street (Kenny Boyce frame). It uses all FXR components with the custom pro street frame. The bike weighs 425 lbs. and it flies. Anyone thinking of getting rid of an FXR-DON'T. You can not easily replace it. Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2006, 10:40:21 AM »

I had a FXRSP in the mid 90's, can't remember exactly when, Kirker 2 into 1 exhaust and really enjoyed it.

I have had several DWG's since and have truly enjoyed them as well although they aren't designed for the same style of riding.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 10:41:21 AM by Rjob749 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2006, 11:10:53 AM »

You can't compare the ride/handling of a "swingarm" bike to a softail. The softails were developed (and also helped save HD) around the 4 speed frames and the backbones were modified to fit the new Evo motors in 1984. The rear end section, behind the seat post, was redesigned for the look of a Rigid, with everything else being pretty much standard 4 speed frame (FX) stuff. They look great but can not handle like conventional swingarm bikes. The FXR's and FL's have a 3 point rubber mounting system with frame supported transmission/swingarm mounting (the 2 diamond shaped blocks below the seat). The Dyna's have a single rubber mount to the rear of the tranny which connects to the swingarm and frame. The swingarm is not directly connected to the frame. It's connected to the frame via the transmission. This is a cheaper and easier way to build bikes on an assembly line. That does NOT make for better performance, in my opinion, only cheaper. The FXR is a much stiffer chassis set-up than the Dyna and therefore handles better. Conversely, the softail chssis is just that (soft chassis) and the driveline is solid, not rubber-mounted. Even with stiffer shocks, the suspension just can't perform as well as conventional swingarm systems. That's why softails always had much more vibration and HD had to design the TC "B" motors so they didn't vibrate as much. I also have an '85 FXWG. This is a 4-speed swingarm bike, modified by the factory to fit the Evo's in '85/'86, when the 4-speed swingarm frames were scheduled to be discontinued (for the FXR!). It's a solid-mount, 4-speed Evo (with a kicker) and is smoother than a TC88"B". The 1985/86 4-speed swingarm Evo's were some of the best Harleys ever built. Enjoy your FXR's while you still can! Hoist!

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »

...I also have an '85 FXWG....

I had that bike too, in Black & Blue. What a Great bike!

...Enjoy your FXR's while you still can!...

Still can? FXR's [size=18]FOREVER[/size][/u]!!!
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2006, 06:28:29 PM »

Nice ride. It looks like a sweet machine. If you want another bike, don't get rid of that one. It's a keeper! Just like my Pro Street, FXWG, and soon to come '07 BI SERK! Ride safe and enjoy. Hoist!

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2006, 01:51:07 AM »

...Man thats a cool ride! What size tire you got on the rear? Is it stock? It looks a little bigger? Could be my eyes playing tricks again...Sweet Ride!

Thanks elvislee. It is actually stock, just the camera angle makes it look that way.

Robertgmitchell

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2006, 01:31:30 PM »

Hoist, I just bought an 85 FXWG on ebay and so far I love it. I had to fix a lot of electrical problems and the oil lines were routed incorrectly (puked 2 quarts of oil on first start). Do you have any pictures of the wiring mess under the seat. I cleaned my wires up a lot but I'm curious how the factory routed the wires.

I also have drag pipes and I installed baffles to get it through inspection. Should I remove them? They make a chirping sound that I don't like but I'm more concerned with proper tuning and power.

RGM
RGM
----------------------------------------------------------
Let's roll...

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2006, 10:02:36 PM »

Hoist, I just bought an 85 FXWG on ebay and so far I love it. I had to fix a lot of electrical problems and the oil lines were routed incorrectly (puked 2 quarts of oil on first start). Do you have any pictures of the wiring mess under the seat. I cleaned my wires up a lot but I'm curious how the factory routed the wires.

I also have drag pipes and I installed baffles to get it through inspection. Should I remove them? They make a chirping sound that I don't like but I'm more concerned with proper tuning and power.

RGM

Hey RGM, let me be the first to welcome you here.

Great looking ride, I only have one problem.  How the hell did a '85 get to be so old and I still feel like it is 1985 [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Robertgmitchell

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2006, 12:56:07 PM »

What's really sad is that I took my bike to Eastern Perf. over here in Maryland to get it through inspection and they wouldn't work on it. They don't work on evolutions or older. I guess the mechanics don't like getting dirt under there nails. It might upset the customers with "real" motorcycles. You know, the $50,000 customs.

Poor me, I'll have to wrench on my own ride.

RGM
RGM
----------------------------------------------------------
Let's roll...

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2006, 02:02:28 PM »

What's really sad is that I took my bike to Eastern Perf. over here in Maryland to get it through inspection and they wouldn't work on it. They don't work on evolutions or older. I guess the mechanics don't like getting dirt under there nails. It might upset the customers with "real" motorcycles. You know, the $50,000 customs.
Poor me, I'll have to wrench on my own ride. RGM

If only I had kept some of the bikes I have had over the years, small budgets and no good sense have let a  lot of great bikes go down the road.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2006, 06:44:29 PM »

...the customers with "real" motorcycles. You know, the $50,000 customs...

I hear ya, but if you ask me... a $50,000 custom is just a $10,000 bike with $40,000's worth of marketing and multiple brain-dead TV shows creating a "follow the herd" mentality in the new generation "bikers" (pronounced "RUBs") Pah-leeeze.

Everytime I see some 55 year old clown talking about or buying a Thunder Mountain or Big Dog for his first bike, I have to walk up and remind them about how far that money would go in golf clubs and country club dues.

Besides, IMO, they have exceeded good taste in the custom chopper building world, and have arrived at "whatever can be, but has never been done". I saw one at a local bike night with something around a 1 gallon fuel tank and a diamond-plate "seat". Yeah, that's practical!

You got the real bike - even if you have to find a "real shop" to wrench on it. Or even better yet if you have the knowledge, do the work yourself and know that it is done right. If you don't have the knowledge, take your time with your bike and a good service manual and learn - that way you know what you are riding inside and out. Most stealership mech's may have the required knowledge, but quite frankly they just don't care about your bike like you do.

Anyway, good luck and screw eastern performance. We're here if we can help.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2006, 07:40:40 PM »

I hear ya, but if you ask me... a $50,000 custom is just a $10,000 bike with $40,000's worth of marketing and multiple brain-dead TV shows creating a "follow the herd" mentality in the new generation "bikers" (pronounced "RUBs") Pah-leeeze.

Everytime I see some 55 year old clown talking about or buying a Thunder Mountain or Big Dog for his first bike, I have to walk up and remind them about how far that money would go in golf clubs and country club dues.

Besides, IMO, they have exceeded good taste in the custom chopper building world, and have arrived at "whatever can be, but has never been done". I saw one at a local bike night with something around a 1 gallon fuel tank and a diamond-plate "seat". Yeah, that's practical!

You got the real bike - even if you have to find a "real shop" to wrench on it. Or even better yet if you have the knowledge, do the work yourself and know that it is done right. If you don't have the knowledge, take your time with your bike and a good service manual and learn - that way you know what you are riding inside and out. Most stealership mech's may have the required knowledge, but quite frankly they just don't care about your bike like you do.

Anyway, good luck and screw eastern performance. We're here if we can help.

Should I go there?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaa
Not worth the effort.
Enjoy the ride!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2006, 08:40:57 PM »

Should I go there?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaa
Not worth the effort.
Enjoy the ride!
good boy!  ::) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2006, 03:18:39 AM »

RGM

Nice looking Glide!

There's are quite a few things to clean up on the old 4 speeds, to really have it right-on. Wiring-wise, you pretty much have to bring it up to modern standards to have it be trouble-free. I had my bike rewired for start, ignition, lighting and

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2006, 03:34:40 AM »

Also, keep an eye on the clutch. It has the old original diaphragm style with a keyway shaft. If you replace it use a Rivera pro clutch which presses into you stock clutch basket. Lock the basket to the shaft so you don't spin it. The old clutches don't cut it with a hot rod motor.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.