Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: XP Home, XP Pro, Vista for Home Desktop?  (Read 3063 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: XP Home, XP Pro, Vista for Home Desktop?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 08:41:46 AM »

Here's my two cents (which is worth pretty much zilch after inflation):  Unless you just have to have the latest visual effects and irritating security features, stick with XP Pro SP2.  Vista has been a major disappointment to the computing public as well as to Microsoft (similar to the MoCo's "upgrade" to the 110, if you know what I mean), and has led many computer companies to continue to offer XP on their custom built PC's.  Vista is just one more example of what many call "bloatware", software that is overly complicated and requires too many system resources.  XP runs fine on a machine with 512 MB of RAM, but Vista requires 1024 MB minimum just to run with all the visual features enabled.  Decent performance requires even more RAM, more like 2048 MB (2 GB).

As for the support issue, Microsoft will continue to support XP with security updates for the foreseeable future.  Support is also available through non-Microsoft sites and forums for user issues.  In a couple of years, maybe MS will get their act together and come out with a decent operating system and you can upgrade at that time.  Or you may want to move to Linux and get off the Bill Gates bloatware train.  And Pete also offers an excellent idea; the Apple (Mac) is an excellent system for anyone not heavily invested in Windows experience and software.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 09:10:55 AM »

I'm with the majority here XP Pro SP2 - it is proven and works. Vista has too many bugs right now for me to even consider it. As stated before Microsoft will continue to support it for a while and there are so many XP user forums out there that you should have no problems finding help with it if needed.

I would like to see a MAC in action though. I have never used one and have only heard good things about them.

Just my $0.02  ;D

Kathy

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 09:15:58 AM »

This is what I do for living buy sell build and repair laptops and desktops Xp pro the one  :orange: :nervous:to go for at the moment both for compatability and ease of use need any further help PM me

I agree with RedBone!  As a self-builder for many years, have to say XP Pro is the finest OS Microsoft has ever offered.

I would demand the supplier install XP, and if they refuse find one that will.  Vista may be the OS of the future once a few service packs are out.  Or it could become the next Windows ME!

My $0.02 worth.
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 10:18:37 AM »

Thanks everyone for their replies.  Like Bluefelix, I have no Mac experience.  (Talk to 2Lane, he'll say I don't even have Windows experience).   :)    I also thought about Vista being compared to the 110 MOCO as GRC stated. 

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 10:39:12 AM »

Lots of problems and complaints with Vista... we have XP.

If we were buying a new one, I would go see a Mac demo... have heard nothing but good things about them!

Might be worth the 15 minutes if you have the time.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 10:42:01 AM »

Bob...I'm running XP Pro on all my machines (home desktop, laptop, Suzanne's laptop), and the IT professionals in my office (UAB, so they are very concerned about system stability and security) will not touch Vista with a 10 foot pole right now.  I've just heard of too many issues right now with Vista to feel comfortable with it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 11:25:54 AM »

I will just echo what most everyone has said; Go with XP. 
I have 7 computers here in my office.  I have a new laptop that has Vista - 3 running XP Pro - 2 running 2000 - and even one still running 98.  XP is by far the most user friendly and stable operating system.  And like someone else said, XP is compatible with some of the older programs/drivers that you may still want to use.  I have a client/friend that is a computer geek for FAA - he writes flight simulator programs.  He told me that Vista is a memory hog...He also said that the FAA will not buy computers with Vista.
We are going to finally have to replace the old computer that is running 98 in the next week or so and I have already checked on ordering a new one from Dell with XP Pro.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 02:57:39 PM »

Just a point of clarification, the iMac will run windows programs.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 06:07:48 PM »

my father just ordered a dell and paid $60 extra for the xp to be put in.  so, it's still available

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 04:42:49 PM »

Ordered a new Dell desktop today with XP Pro..  Again, thanks to everyone who responded and looked.  Bob

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »

Ok this is where I break from the group.  I would seriously consider the iMAC.  My son has been telling me for many months the MAC is superior to any PC, less complicated for non-geeks (like me), more flexible and user friendly.  He owns one and I have used it and I must agree with him.  Wish I had listened to him before buying this POS PC laptop I am using now.  Go to a Best Buy and try it then compare to PC and see what you think.   

I agree with you!    :2vrolijk_21:

I have been a Dell user since Jan 0f 2001 and kept my Pentium 3 Win2000 box running until the mother board passed away this past October. I upgraded to a Second Dell box with Xp in 2002 and then a Dell Laptop in 2004 with XP.

All are networked and are on a UPS my desktops stay up 24/7, all are running Ad watch, and Spybot and I’ve been a Mcafee user since 1994 and have never been infected on any of my machines.

My take on Vista is its windows ME the Microsoft version that came after win 98 it had more problems than solutions to get to the same spot.

The Mac with open source office is all you really need to surf and bill pay and email which about the entire app’s the average user needs.

Since Windows XP it’s trickier  maintain your pc (hardware) wise after it gets some age on it, but it can be done. I changed (upgraded) my Hard Drive about every three years and with XP having built in a hardware finger print you cannot just take the Hard drive out and put it another box, like it can with win 2000, I took my old drive and put it in a Pentium 4 box changed one driver (video) and I was back up and running.

I changed my laptop HD found a nice program and a larger drive online it copied the whole drive over and then all I had to do was swap the drives, and then use the enclosure with my old drive as a USB 80 Meg storage disk. Took all of 30 min. to complete.

If anyone needs any help or suggestions PM me and maybe we can get you back up and running or keep you running once your HD fails its way too late to recover any lost files or memories.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.