CVO Social > Other Topics

enclosed trailer size

(1/5) > >>

porthole:
I am looking for a future purchase of an enclosed trailer. My preference is to get the highest GVW available with a single axle.
My question is; what is the smallest practical size to carry 2 dressers?
Can 2 bikes with bags and fairing fit in a 6x10?
Is it realistic to put one bike "bow in" and the 2nd "stern in"? (Sorry for the boat talk [smiley=nixweiss.gif])

Thanks for your info.

HUBBARD:

--- Quote ---I am looking for a future purchase of an enclosed trailer. My preference is to get the highest GVW available with a single axle.
Is it realistic to put one bike "bow in" and the 2nd "stern in"? (Sorry for the boat talk [smiley=nixweiss.gif])

Thanks for your info.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, 'er 'uh, porthole2,
 I use a FEATHERLITE 1610.  This Trailer is all aluminum.  The Lenght is 12' + a 3' V-Nose.  It is 6' 6" inside Height, and 6' 7" inside Width.  It has a 3500# Axle w/15" 6 Ply Tires.  But, mind you, I only haul 1 Dresser in mine.  I, personally, would not haul 2 Dressers in a single-axle Trailer.  If you cut or loose a tire, you've had a bad day.  I would reccomend a 1625 FEATHERLITE, which has 2, 3500# axles w/elec. brakes and takes a 2 5/16" Ball.  It is also 6' 7" inside width.  I don't think you can fit 2 Dressers, safely, into a Trailer w/6' inside width.  I've owned 9 Trailers in the last 25 years.  All different Brands.  I never would pay up for a FEATHERLITE, until one day I asked myself the question, "Why am I hauling a $40,000.00 Motorsickle in a $2800.00 Trailer?"  I can also attest to the fact that pulling this FEATHERLITE to Daytona and back, my Denali used 18 gallons less fuel than it did with a 12' Continental.  You decide.  Hope I've helped you, and WELCOME to the site!!  Later--HUBBARD        

70_GTX:
My friend and I used a 6x12 to haul an Ultra classic and a Road King Classic. It was very tight. I don't think two bikes with fairings would fit in anything 6 foot wide. The single axle jobs bounce around quite a bit and therefore you run the risk of getting the two bikes together. The tie downs are more likely to loosen also. The 12 footer let us stagger the bikes enough to gain some separation. Now, I have an 8.5X14, dual axle. Much better. The gas mileage wasn't that much different, but I feel they both pulled hard.

Jock:

--- Quote ---I am looking for a future purchase of an enclosed trailer. My preference is to get the highest GVW available with a single axle.

Thanks for your info.
--- End quote ---

Port,

Good luck on the 6x10, I do not see that happening...I do however have a 7x14 and have put all three of my bikes into it.

My vote...a minimun of 7x12 staggered...However, whatever you choose, be sure to take the bikes you will be hauling to the dealer and try it out first...Many of the claim to have the listed space, however once you place the bikes into them...not...

All the Best.

hd2003-se2005:
I'm with Jock!

A 7X12 is minimum!
Been looking at a Haulmark 7X12 or 7X14 Lowhauler, tandem axle.
A Low Hauler is great because it will fit in your garage!
To many restrictions here to leave it outside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version