Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Heat Demons Grips  (Read 4497 times)

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
Heat Demons Grips
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »

Has anyone installed the Heat Demons grip warmers on their 2004 FLHTCSE or their 2005 FLHTCSE2 :confused5:  I just purchased a set and was planning to put them on this weekend.  So I thought that I would check and see if somebody has already done this.  If so, any help or advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.  The factory Harley Davidson Stealth Grips Heated Grips won't work because of the internal wiring.  So I guess I will put them on eBay to see if I can find a buyer.

Ride Safe  :helmet:
Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Heat Demons Grips
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »

There is an extensive thread on the subject here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=15668.0

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:18:53 PM »

I might suggest that you contact twolan,,, uh, nevermind... >:(

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »

hd-dude, I was trying to see if someone had done this on our bikes not the ultras that already have some of the wiring from the stock grips that no longer work.

Thanks, Ride Safe  :helmet:
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »

hd-dude, I was trying to see if someone had done this on our bikes not the ultras that already have some of the wiring from the stock grips that no longer work.

Read further into the thread...Boatman has installed these on his 05.

BTW....there is no difference in the heated grips installed from the factory on the 06's...Stealth Grips, internal wiring.  Exactly the same thing you have in your hand.  HD states in their catalog "not suitable for internal wiring" then turns around and puts them on the 06, 07, and 08's. Having said that, the HD heated grips are notoriously unreliable, so if I were starting from scratch, I'd do Heat Demons...I replaced the stock units with the Heat Demons and like them better so far.

Installation is pretty easy...just get a really good ground.  At this point in time, contacting Boatman (Bob), or reading his install post, would be your best bet for install help.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »

Quote from: link=topic=19619.msg313972#msg313972 date=1200370733
I might suggest that you contact twolan,,, uh, nevermind... >:(

cuthbertss, you know I did try to contact Twolanerider.  Twolanerider, has always been a great source of great info in the past.  Maybe, I had a bad email adddress.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »

cuthbertss, you know I did try to contact Twolanerider.  Twolanerider, has always been a great source of great info in the past.  Maybe, I had a bad email adddress.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yea, uh...  that'd probably be considered a "Proxy Posting" 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 06:18:26 PM »

05Rider-

It is not hard to do, but takes some time.

1) Remove lower inner fairing and ignition switch

2) Remove grips

3) Follow the directions fishing the internal wires from side to side.  Spray windex on the snake as a lubricant.  I couldn't fish the wires from side to side all in one shot so I just snaked to the middle of the bars and then went the rest of the way.

4)  The wires are tiny and so are the connectors.  Make sure you have the wires pushed all the way in the connectors before squeezing with pliers until the cap is seated in the connector.  An extra set of hands can help.

5)  I just ran the power wire to the accessory switch power and added a 4 amp in line fuse.  The ground I ran clear back to the battery as I couldn't get a good ground up front.

The HDemons work great with our stock grips and heat evenly and fully.  Do like the instructions say and make sure they heat before you put back together.

Hope this helps and ask any question that you have.  Bob

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »

Twolanerider, has always been a great source of great info in the past.  Maybe, I had a bad email adddress. 

Yes, he helped me like he did everyone else here.  Join the bandwagon to get 2Lane reinstated.

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 01:12:11 PM »

Yes, he helped me like he did everyone else here.  Join the bandwagon to get 2Lane reinstated.

Boatman, I have been away from the site for a while.  I just noticed that Twolane had been banned and I don't know why  :confused5:  Don has helped so many of us on this site and I will do whatever I can to help get him reinstated.  Please send me a PM and let me know how I can help.  Thanks for the info on the Heat Demons :xyxthumbs:.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:57:45 AM »

Thanks for the info on the Heat Demons :xyxthumbs:.

Hi Mark.  Did you get the grips installed yet?  Very sorry for the delay in seeing your PM on the topic. 

Bob's install the same approach I took.  Some of the guys removed the outer fairing and radio.  Bob and I (and probably a few others) took the posterior approach ( :oops: ) and came at it from the other end. 

Hopefully you've got them on and working.  So far I've been real pleased with mine.  Seem to work nicely.  Good luck and don't hesitate to shout out if there's a question pending with getting them done.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »

Future conversation with Don regarding the Heat Demons:

Bob-My heat Demons no longer work.

Don-Did you check the fuse?

Bob-What fuse?

Don-Remember the 4amp inline fuse I told you to add when you got the power off the accessory switch circuit?

Bob-Silence, light goes on.

Figured I better post this as I would forget about the added fuse and now I at least can do a search someday.    (The fuse is behind the lower fairing-acc switch side).

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 11:26:12 AM »

Future conversation with Don regarding the Heat Demons:

Bob-My heat Demons no longer work.

Don-Did you check the fuse?

Bob-What fuse?

Don-Remember the 4amp inline fuse I told you to add when you got the power off the accessory switch circuit?

Bob-Silence, light goes on.

Figured I better post this as I would forget about the added fuse and now I at least can do a search someday.    (The fuse is behind the lower fairing-acc switch side).

hehehehehe.... oops  :oops:

I cheated there Bob.  When I did mine I also remade any accessory harnesses that had ever been created and moved the fuse locations down to the fuse block.  So now with the exception of an big inline to the power adaptor I plug the heated clothes or battery tender in to all the fuses are down there where I actually think to look for them.

Had you had them on for a long duration when the fuse blew?  Has it repeated?  Were they installed on a shared circuit where something else might add to the load?  Why is the sky blue?

In any case glad it was just a fuse.  Even if it wasn't the easiest fuse to get to that's still better than ripping the guts out of the handlebars again.

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 12:39:30 PM »

Hi Mark.  Did you get the grips installed yet?  Very sorry for the delay in seeing your PM on the topic. 

Bob's install the same approach I took.  Some of the guys removed the outer fairing and radio.  Bob and I (and probably a few others) took the posterior approach ( :oops: ) and came at it from the other end. 

Hopefully you've got them on and working.  So far I've been real pleased with mine.  Seem to work nicely.  Good luck and don't hesitate to shout out if there's a question pending with getting them done.

Don, I have not attempted to start the install yet.  I am going to try to do it on Monday on my day off.  So, any help you can send my way would be greatly appreciated.  It is great to hear from you :2vrolijk_21:  I sure hope things will work out and get you back on line with us.  Where you are great asset to us all :pepper: :pineapple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :apple:!!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »

Don, I have not attempted to start the install yet.  I am going to try to do it on Monday on my day off.  So, any help you can send my way would be greatly appreciated.  It is great to hear from you :2vrolijk_21:  I sure hope things will work out and get you back on line with us.  Where you are great asset to us all :pepper: :pineapple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :apple:!!!!

Mark, I'll PM you my phone number (though it seems everyone here already has it anyway :huepfenlol2: ) so if you have some unexpected hassle during the install don't hesitate to give a call.  Bob's description above in this thread does cover the bases though.

It's not a difficult install.  That's not to say that there's not some challenge to getting things apart and back together.  Just that none of it isn't pretty straight forward. 

If you can take the ignition switch on and off you can do it from tank side.  Even easier if you want to go ahead and take the tank off but that wouldn't be absolutely necessary.  You could use it an an excuse to clean and wax the tops of the rocker boxes and to install the fuse for the grips down by the battery where it'd be easier to get to rather than under the fairing.  But it's do-able either way.

The other option is pulling the outer fairing and the radio. Again, not hard things to do.  You're just gaining access to the hole in the bottom of the handlebars one way or the other.

After that you'll snake wires from the right side to the middle.  Then grab the power and ground wires that will join in the middle and snake them all on the left side.  The make some color matcing connections on the left side.  The Heat Demons switch will be a direct and easy mount on stock handlebars.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.