Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 7932 times)

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: Helmets
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 01:07:49 AM »

When riding crotch rockets, definitely because if you don't you can't see when going so fast.  Also, back in '96 I was on my way home from an early am ride & luckily it was cooler on the Southern California coast that particular day because I had on long pants, leather jacket & gloves.  I was 5 minutes from home when I came to an intersection with a van making a left turn travelling in the same direction as I was, blocked my view of any oncoming traffic.  I tried to look around the van, slowed down and thought I've done this a thousand times carefully and flicked the throttle to accelerate.............then a little blue Mazda GLC made a left turn in front of me & the last thing I remembered was flying through the air, doing a front flip and landing on my back on the other side of the intersection.  Luckily, the Honda Interceptor had the front of the seat meet the end of the tank like a skateboard ramp and I launched instead of being a passenger into the side of the little car.  Needless to say I was sooo lucky to walk away but, I still have that Shoei 100 full face helmet with the little dots from the asphalt pavement making a faint racing stripe across the top of the brain bucket as a reminder of what can and will happen even if you're careful. Needless to say my guardian angel was with me that day because the guy at the dealer was shocked when he asked " who was the pilot on this bike?" and I answered "I was" and he said "and you're still walking?".  

Anyways, full face for off-road and cold nights on the H-D, half helmets in states that require them & off when we're in beautiful scenic country and just enjoying the cruise where they're not required.

May your guardian angels always be with you!

Yellowsed

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 05:55:02 AM »

Beanie in state...off as I cross the border from MA to RI, CT and NH
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 09:59:49 AM »

I wear mine because we are required to. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] If it was not the law I would chose to wear it or not, depending on where I was goping and what I was doing.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 02:59:16 PM »

Required in WV--Hopefully about to change--View WV Helmet Law Reform under "In The News"---Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 09:54:53 AM »

I wear it...and of course it's DOT legal ;) because pavement beats skull.

I have a rather large skull, and the DOT lids all look like a friggin' mushroom on my head,....and catch air when I'm riding, so I'm constantly feeling it flip up. Full-faces restrict my peripheral vison and hearing too much. Plus, tough to find one in a "fat head" size.

But...I figure something is better than nothing if I go down.

I've never not worn one...so I guess I don't know the "freedom" of not wearing one. Maybe this year while rolling thru Laconia.  

On a related note, I have to learn to braid my hair, or put the ponitail holders on myself. These rat's nest knots are killing me :)
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 10:57:41 AM »

This is going to be an interesting poll Cabo.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 11:23:22 AM »

JCZ.......couple of questions on the chinbar flip helmet.  Can you ride at night w/ the blue tint faceshield?  And will eyeglasses fit in the helmet and allow the chinbar faceshield to flip up while wearing them?  thanks, spyder [smiley=confused5.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 11:53:23 AM »

They are required in Cal. I think 18 and under should be required..otherwise personal choice. I did not use to wear helmets but I have seen too many bad accidents where the rider would have made if he had a helmet...along with personal experience. Saw a kid...17-18..loose control, go off his bike and slide on his back about 50 feet. I stopped my car to protect him and as I ran up, I wondered what the fluid smear on the ground was...unfortunately for him it was his brain...the whole back of his head was gone. That stays with you for a long time...still I am for personal choice.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 01:01:51 PM »

JCZ.......couple of questions on the chinbar flip helmet.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sailordb

• Ride hard-live free
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2005, 01:58:29 PM »

I wear my helmet for several reasons, some of which have been so elequently stated here. The main reason is because I stole it from a CHP in 1986 when he left it on his mirror. It is as much a "battle trophy" as head gear....and it is a damn good helmet.
If you ain't having fun you're in the wrong place.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 02:11:26 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmm.  Wonder what the statue of limitations is on that? [smiley=confused.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2005, 02:44:20 AM »

Have always worn a helmet because it was required.  I used to wear a 3/4 but since deciding to get off the bilke doing 55 & sliding across three lanes of the freeway in Nashville a couple years ago I dicided to upgrade to full face.  Took a little getting used to but now it is natural and I realy enjoy it on colder days.  I wear glasses with the helmet and switch between clear and mirrored shields.  Most of the time I will ride with the shield up except rain, other bad weather, cold or on the interstate.  Dont leave home without it!!

RedFXR2

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2005, 01:03:36 PM »

I've always lived in states that require helmets but I'd wear one, law or not.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 01:05:30 PM by RedFXR2 »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2005, 01:56:09 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmm.

West Coast GTG   

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2005, 08:21:48 PM »

Required in Washington state so I have to.  When riding outside the state, it just depends if I wear one or not.  Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.