Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Does he deserve to be our President?  (Read 11238 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Does he deserve to be our President?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2008, 09:08:57 AM »

I'm as conservative as they come but I think the future of energy comes from solar, wind, and water.  You make a reference to earth resembling Mars.  That pretty much happened in Pennsylvania in the beginning of the last century as entire counties were cleared for their wood  and the mountains leveled from the top down to get to their coal.  This leveling polluted the rivers with heavy metals that killed everything downstream.  Renewable energy that keeps us independent is the answer.  It's amazing to drive through the mountains of the Allegany National Forest and see all the flat top mountains and know there isn't a tree within sight that is over 100 years old.  We learn from our mistakes.

As for terrorists?  I'm of Roosevelt's BIG STICK mentality!

I'm with you, I buy blocks of wind energy from a wind farm, they add these blocks to the grid that offset the energy I use, it cost me about $15 a month more. You can say what you want about global warming, but using up natural resources, pumping millions of tons of pollutants into the air and water can't be good!! :nixweiss:
As for political Presidential stuff, the economy was on the decline in the last year of Clintons Presidency, you can pull it on and several sites and see actual numbers from those years, and with 911, things other related things that Clinton didn't have to deal with, I don't think you can compare the two. I wish there was a candidate out there that was for the people they are suppose to reperesent. Everyone of the candidates has an army of people telling them what they need to say to what people and to what race, or religious groups, how to attack their opponents. Their in you state, telling you what they think you want to here and why the other guy is so bad, then they get elected and you hear about government waste, political corruption, drug companies getting what they want and making billions of dollars at our expense, because our Representatives sold out to them and are now working as lobbyist for the companies!!! It would be nice to see Americans take some of the hostility they are showing towards eachother and direct it at the crooks we put in office from both parties.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 09:41:35 AM »

Staying on message maybe This is whom you are looking for to save your air, As far as dumping more pollutants Every June we release more people on the roads (Graduation) more Cars add the growth of india and china and all the new millions of NEW first time car owners in the third world and there you have it we are are left with burning candles to save the air we breath that is shared by everyone else, STOKE UP THE POWER PLANTS.

Who is Barack Obama?

Very interesting and something that should be considered in your
choice.

If you do not ever forward anything else, please forward this to all
your contacts...this is very scarey to think of what lies ahead of us
here in our own United States...better heed this and pray about it and share it.

We checked this out on 'snopes.com'. It is factual. Check for yourself.

Who is Barack Obama?

Probable U. S. presidential candidate, Barack Hussein Obama was born
in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., a black MUSLIM
from Nyangoma-Kogel, Kenya and Ann Dunham, a white ATHIEST from
Wichita, Kansas.
Obama's parents met at the University of Hawaii. When Obama was two
years old, his parents divorced. His father returned to Kenya. His
mother then married Lolo Soetoro, a RADICAL Muslim from Indonesia.?
When Obama was 6 years old, the family relocate to Indonesia. Obama
att ended a MUSLIM school in Jakarta. He also spent two years in a
Catholic school.

Obama takes great care to conceal the fact that he is a Muslim. He is
quick to point out that, 'He was once a Muslim, but that he also
attended Catholic school.'

Obama's political handlers are attempting to make it appear that he is not a radical.
Obama's introduction to Islam came via his father, and that this
influence was temporary at best. In reality, the senior Obama returned
to Kenya soon after the divorce, and never again had any direct
influence over his son's education.

Lolo Soetoro, the second husband of Obama's mother, Ann Dunham,
introduced his stepson to Islam. Obama was enrolled in a Wahabi school
in Jakarta.

Wahabism is the RADICAL teaching that is followed by the Muslim
terrorists who are now waging Jihad against the western world. Since
it is politically expedient to be a CHRISTIAN when seeking major
public office in the United States, Barack Hussein Obama has joined
the United Church of Christ in an attempt to downplay his Muslim
background. ALSO, keep in mind that when he was sworn into office he
DID NOT use the Holy Bible, but instead the Koran.

Barack Hussein Obama will NOT recite the Pledge of Allegience nor
will he show any reverence for our flag. While others place their hands
over their hearts, Obama turns his back to the flag and slouches.
Let us all remain alert concerning Obama's expected presidential
candidacy.

The Muslims have said they plan on destroying the US from the inside
out, what better way to start than at the highest level - through the
President of the United States, one of their own!!!!

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »

With all due respect...in your first post, you mention conservative fiscal policy that balances the budget...I think Clinton was the first in may years that actually accomplished that goal, and left George M (for Moron...he got his degree from Harvard because his daddy contributed large sums of money to the institution...I work in a large Urban Univ. so know a little bit about the politics of such things) a surplus to squaller, which he wasted no time in doing with 600 dollar "rebates" to people who went out and blew the money.  Also, I don't know if it's "we don't want in our backyard" or if some people realize that enough is enough with regards to present or future damage to what is left.  You see deer grazing by the oil pumps because MAN has eliminated all their natural predators, not because they LIKE the oil pumps!!

I pose this question to all who propose "utilizing our natural resources to their fullest extent":  Where do you draw the line for present and future generations...when the whole f'ing country looks like Mars?

GW is not a fiscal conservative but do not imply that Clinton was......

but this hate Bush rhetoric you have is now more explaaned through the fact

the you work for a large Urban University the "motherland and Birth place" of all liberalism

of course you think us mere idiots that get a 600.00 rebate (of Taxes we already paid) is wasted because I am

stupid and unable to spend it wisely. (wisely is determined by your standards) and by the way the surplus you call it

is and was my money......it is everyones money not the Government.

All liberals think the government knows what is best for us morons out there.....other wise us gun toting NRA card

carrying idiots will surely shoot ourselves.

How better to define it than to call the president a moron himself, do you really think you can get that far in politics

and be a moron also? (obviously you think so)

Let me save the time and I will post the Liberal Rant!
Bush lied Kids Died
go to War for Oil
He stole the election (both)
the reason he got there was his Daddy
He really did not serve in the military and even then he went awol
Haliburton
Oil,  Oil, Oil, then more Oil
Haliburton
Bible toting idiot
can't spell FBI
Blew up twin trade towers
especially building 9
Katrina,   Katrina, katrina

did I get it all?
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2008, 10:52:37 AM »

:vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2008, 11:07:45 AM »

Howie,

I have been to this company.  I have watched them take any number of "waste" materials and convert it into hydrocarbons - shredded tires, automotive fluff (the non metallic residue from ground up cars), sludge from the bottom of the Delaware River, ground plastics, all types of landfill materials.  They place the material in a vacuum microwave reactor and hit it with very high frequency microwaves.  The microwaves separate the hydrocarbons in the form of natural gas, methane, and various types of oils.  Once treated, the remaining non hydrocarbon material has been reduced to about one fifth the orginal quantity.  What remains is basically carbon - mostly in the form of carbon black (also recyclable).  There is virtually no land fill residue remaining - and the resulting hydrocarbons are in various forms of usable energy.  It is one of those things you have to see to believe...  It will be interesting to watch the technology grow to a commercially viable product.

Scott

How many kw's of energy was required by the vacuum microwave reactor to produce how many kw's of energy in the form of H?  It does not a have to be in kw's, it could be joules or what have you but the efficiency in conversion always has a loss, always.   

1 therm of dino will typically yield only .4 therm in electrical output due to loss in conversion from chemical energy(oil) converted to themal energy(boiler) conveted to mechanical energy(steam turbine) conveted to electrical energy(generator).  Small increases in this heat rate help but it is the 1st law of thermodynamics, no free lunch.

What makes dinofuel so great is its ability to be transported and stockpiled easily.  Canada is full of it! and oil too!

It has been a hurdle in the business for some time.   If I could only .......

Miker   

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 11:19:36 AM »

Staying on message maybe This is whom you are looking for to save your air, As far as dumping more pollutants Every June we release more people on the roads (Graduation) more Cars add the growth of india and china and all the new millions of NEW first time car owners in the third world and there you have it we are are left with burning candles to save the air we breath that is shared by everyone else, STOKE UP THE POWER PLANTS.

Who is Barack Obama?

Very interesting and something that should be considered in your
choice.

If you do not ever forward anything else, please forward this to all
your contacts...this is very scarey to think of what lies ahead of us
here in our own United States...better heed this and pray about it and share it.

We checked this out on 'snopes.com'. It is factual. Check for yourself.

Who is Barack Obama?

Wayne....I think if you actually Snope that yourself, instead of believing an e-mail someone sent you, that you will find the entire message is nothing but a giant lie, and has been proven to be so not only by Snopes, but other sources as well.  Whether you support the man or not, bringing these kind of lies into the picture of him is just wrong, no matter how you look at it.

As for India and China...yes, there will be millions of additional vehicles on the road as a result of them gaining the ability to reach one of their goals in life....car ownership.

What the US can do, and should do, is provide leadership to the rest of the world in all things...that puts pressure on other countries to make better policy.

As for George W being "smart"...I have never questioned his ability in the political arena.  That does not necessarily equate to the intelligence needed to understand Global politics, nor the interconnectivity of nearly every single thing that most have sited here as issues they care about.  His ignorant stand on stem cell research is one shining example of his lack of understanding, or perhaps shows that he just doesn't give a chit about the overwhelming good that will certainly come out of it.  Almost everyone here knows someone with MS...there is GREAT promise that stem cell research can provide some answers to that devastating disease, and many others.  I work in a medical research environment, so I'm not talking out of my butthole here...

Climate change is happening in front of everyone's eyes...the evidence that human beings are making a huge contribution to that event is absolutely overwhelming.  Cetainly, there are "for hire" scientists who will say otherwise, but please remember that a few scientists, hired by the Tobacco industry, also said nicotine is not addictive.  Anyone who has tried to stop smoking can tell you otherwise.  The preponderance of scientific evidence shows, with no if's, and's, or but's, that our current lifestyle will likely result in catastrophic change, even as soon as 50 years from now, and certainly within the next 200 years...there is evidence that some events happen much more quickly than was once believed.  Global warming is actually a misnomer, and a term that really should not be used any longer...Climate Change is a more accurate description of the results of human activity on the planet.  The US has the ability to develop ways to stop or slow this down.  The upcoming elections are, in my opinion, one of the most important in our history, for a number of reasons.  A person with a Global perspective is critical.  Isolationism, "taking over" chit, and trying to "bully" our way around is no longer an option...the repurcussions are too potentially devastating in both the short and long term.  Plus, we simply cannot afford it.

We are involved in a war that in my opinion should never have happened.  I TOTALLY support our men and women who have served in that struggle, and continue to do so.  My reality of that situation is that it is a no win situation...please....I am not saying that some good things have not happened there, and some of the people are better off.  The country, as a whole, is NOT in better shape as a result of our efforts.   I do not think the people are capable of governing themselves in any way close to what we would consider a democracy.  Just not going to happen.  We are throwing money down a hole, and losing young men and women in the process.  It is a brown Vietnam, and everyone knows how that one ended.  I also supported those who fought there, though I was dead set against the war itself.

Our energy needs are not sustainable with fossil fuels without causing irreparable damage to not only the landscape, but the environment and other life forms as well.  Period.  Alternative, sustainable methodology to meet our needs, while reducing our impact, must be developed, and quickly.  We have the ability, just not the sense of urgency...yet.  It is coming.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008, 11:25:15 AM »

GW is not a fiscal conservative but do not imply that Clinton was......

but this hate Bush rhetoric you have is now more explaaned through the fact

the you work for a large Urban University the "motherland and Birth place" of all liberalism

of course you think us mere idiots that get a 600.00 rebate (of Taxes we already paid) is wasted because I am

stupid and unable to spend it wisely. (wisely is determined by your standards) and by the way the surplus you call it

is and was my money......it is everyones money not the Government.

All liberals think the government knows what is best for us morons out there.....other wise us gun toting NRA card

carrying idiots will surely shoot ourselves.

How better to define it than to call the president a moron himself, do you really think you can get that far in politics

and be a moron also? (obviously you think so)

Let me save the time and I will post the Liberal Rant!
Bush lied Kids Died
go to War for Oil
He stole the election (both)
the reason he got there was his Daddy
He really did not serve in the military and even then he went awol
Haliburton
Oil,  Oil, Oil, then more Oil
Haliburton
Bible toting idiot
can't spell FBI
Blew up twin trade towers
especially building 9
Katrina,   Katrina, katrina

did I get it all?

Please do not put words in my mouth...

Birmingham, Alabama is for damn sure not Berkely, California, so you know not of what you speak.  I will also not engage in a personalized pissing contest with you, so game is over for me....

TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 11:30:17 AM »

How many kw's of energy was required by the vacuum microwave reactor to produce how many kw's of energy in the form of H?  It does not a have to be in kw's, it could be joules or what have you but the efficiency in conversion always has a loss, always.   

1 therm of dino will typically yield only .4 therm in electrical output due to loss in conversion from chemical energy(oil) converted to themal energy(boiler) conveted to mechanical energy(steam turbine) conveted to electrical energy(generator).  Small increases in this heat rate help but it is the 1st law of thermodynamics, no free lunch.

What makes dinofuel so great is its ability to be transported and stockpiled easily.  Canada is full of it! and oil too!

It has been a hurdle in the business for some time.   If I could only .......

Miker   

Solar powered vacuum microwave reactors in the trunks of your cars! Solar panels on the roof, sensitive enough to generate power with infra-red sensitivity! Convert the garbage to fuel with em! Easy chit man! Did it a few years ago but got bored with it. ::) I'd rather pay 4 bucks a gal.! ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »

The argument about stem cell research is very simple and a little dishonest to blame GW and his policy.

Stem cell research is not restricted to any limited lines
it is not ilegal to do to stem cell research on any lines, there are no restrictions on the research
stem cells have not lived up to the expectations of delivering breakthroughs.

The bottom line was GW would not use FEDERAL Money to support research outside of the original lines
that were set aside for this research.

There are people who believe their federal dollars should not be used for War and those who believe it should not be used for destroying human embryos.

Stop taking federal money and you can do all of the research you want, and if it is all that promising getting
private dollars to fund this would be easy, keyword is promising, much easier to throw federal dollars down the
research toilet than private dollars who wants results.

Federal research dollars are the "low Hanging fruit" and you do not have to even produce anything for the money.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008, 11:45:37 AM »

The argument about stem cell research is very simple and a little dishonest to blame GW and his policy.

Stem cell research is not restricted to any limited lines
it is not ilegal to do to stem cell research on any lines, there are no restrictions on the research
stem cells have not lived up to the expectations of delivering breakthroughs.

The bottom line was GW would not use FEDERAL Money to support research outside of the original lines
that were set aside for this research.

There are people who believe their federal dollars should not be used for War and those who believe it should not be used for destroying human embryos.

Stop taking federal money and you can do all of the research you want, and if it is all that promising getting
private dollars to fund this would be easy, keyword is promising, much easier to throw federal dollars down the
research toilet than private dollars who wants results.

Federal research dollars are the "low Hanging fruit" and you do not have to even produce anything for the money.

That's right...shouldn't blame GW for that one...

Federal dollars for research is indeed a boondoggle...NASA was a useless endevour, as is most other medical related research.  Federal dollars for basic science is indeed a waste of money, and private dollars should be spent by large companies so they can get the results THEY want, for the causes THEY pick and choose, based on THEIR ecomonic needs.  To hell with the public good...

TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »

I wish it would warm up "outside" so we could all go riding.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 12:02:10 PM »

I thought SO  ;D

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 12:21:15 PM »

That's right...shouldn't blame GW for that one...

Federal dollars for research is indeed a boondoggle...NASA was a useless endevour, as is most other medical related research.  Federal dollars for basic science is indeed a waste of money, and private dollars should be spent by large companies so they can get the results THEY want, for the causes THEY pick and choose, based on THEIR ecomonic needs.  To hell with the public good...

I get the sarcasm, and did not want to make it personal and I am sorry for that.....

this is why I like riding so much, it is an escape from reality

and I do not care if the guy riding next to me is a flaming

liberal/facist/NeoCon/socialist or whatever....when I ride, I do not Care
Formally FLHTCUSE3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »

I get the sarcasm, and did not want to make it personal and I am sorry for that.....

this is why I like riding so much, it is an escape from reality

and I do not care if the guy riding next to me is a flaming

liberal/facist/NeoCon/socialist or whatever....when I ride, I do not Care

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!!! :2vrolijk_21:

"I just wanna be free to ride my machine.....!"

And stay free to do it!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2008, 12:40:49 PM »

Funny how people forget this stuff!!! I could go on, but here just some of Clintons fine achievements!

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/faculty/yooj/courses/forrel/reserve/Penn%20LR%202.html

Aside from getting himself impeached but not removed, President William J. Clinton’s most noteworthy impact on the Constitution has been in the area of war powers.  When it comes to using the American military, no president in recent times has had a quicker trigger finger.  In March, 1999, for example, President Clinton ordered 31,000 American servicemen and women to engage in air operations against Serbia, the largest and most powerful province of the former Yugoslavia, to prevent the “ethnic cleansing” of Albanians living in Kosovo.  As part of an operation sponsored by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), 7,000 American ground troops then entered Kosovo on June 10, 1999, after NATO bombing had forced Serbia to withdraw its forces.  It is unclear how long American troops will remain, as NATO’s goals include not just ending war but building a new nation in Kosovo.

While broader in scale and destructiveness, President Clinton’s Kosovo operation followed a pattern set by similar military interventions over the last eight years.  Since December 1995, some 20,000 American troops have implemented a U.N.-brokered peace plan in Bosnia, another former province of the former Yugoslavia.  American war planes continue to enforce a no-fly zone in Iraq, and on occasion American cruise missiles and bombs have attacked Iraqi military assets.  In the summer of 1998, President Clinton again used cruise missiles, this time to hit suspected terrorist targets in Sudan and Afghanistan.  In 1994, President Clinton sent 16,000 American troops to Haiti, under the auspices of the U.N., to oversee its transition to democratic government.  In 1993, President Clinton expanded the goals of the 28,000 American troops in Somalia, originally deployed by President Bush for humanitarian reasons, but then withdrew them after the deaths of soldiers in combat.  On President Clinton’s watch, American troops also have participated in U.N. peacekeeping missions in dangerous places such as Macedonia and Rwanda.

In none of these cases did the Clinton administration seek congressional authorization for its decisions to use force abroad.  In fact, the President has justified his military interventions more often on the need to uphold our obligations to the United Nations or NATO, than upon congressional approval.  Although on several occasions Congress refused to authorize the use of force, President Clinton argued that he had the sole constitutional power as Commander-in-Chief to send American servicemen and women into harm’s way.  While he often signaled that he would welcome congressional support, he also made clear that he would implement his military plans without it.  President Clinton further refused to acknowledge that the War Powers Resolution bound his discretion to act.  Arguably, the Clinton administration’s use of the military in several long-term interventions has rendered the War Powers Resolution a dead letter.

Clinton Technology Transfer to China

http://www.fas.org/news/china/1998/booklet.htm

1998 Clinton Bombs Iraq

Politicians link Clinton's timing to impeachment scandal
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9812/16/iraq.strike.07/index.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/09/clinton_i_wasnt_soft_on_bin_la.html

As usual, Clinton figures that the rest of us are too stupid or lazy to look it up for ourselves. And having read the complete report when it came out more than two years ago, I think it is an inescapable fact that a vacillating, equivocating administration had more than one opportunity to take out terrorist mastermind Bin Laden, but blew it.

A good place to look is the report's "Chapter 4: Responses to Al Qaeda's initial assaults," Section 4.5, "Searching for Fresh Options." There you have details of how Bin Laden was ready to be plucked, but someone in the administration either ignored or nixed it. Or put it on an endless "you-decide, not-me" merry-go-round.

For example, the report said the CIA was receiving "reliable" reports that Bin Laden would be in the Sheikh Ali hunting camp in the Afghan desert south of Kandahar until at least midmorning of Feb. 11, 1999. The military was targeting him for a hit with cruise missiles, and only needed a green light. Yet, no missiles were launched, to the disappointment of field agents and the CIA's "Bin Laden" unit. By Feb. 12, Bin Laden had moved on, and the golden opportunity passed.

Still, the CIA hoped that Bin Laden would return to the popular camp, but Richard Clarke, the nation's counterterrorism chief, may have blown it by calling the United Arab Emirate to express his concern about the their officials associating with Bin Laden at the hunting camp. Being no fools, the terrorists within a week had "hurriedly dismantled" and deserted the camp, the report said.

In May, 1999, the report said, the administration may have missed the best and last opportunity to hit Bin Laden with cruise missiles as he was moving in and around Kandahar. "It was a fat pitch, a home run," a senior military official told the commission, confident of the intelligence and the possibility of minimal "collateral damage." The report picks up the story:

"He expected the missiles to fly. When the decision came back that they should stand down, not shoot, the officer said, 'We all just slumped.' He told [the commission] he knew of no one at the Pentagon or the CIA who thought it was a bad game. Bin Laden 'should have been a dead man' that night, he said."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.919 seconds with 22 queries.