Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Author Topic: The field narrows, McCain, Hillary, Obama.  (Read 12867 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: The field narrows, McCain, Hillary, Obama.
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2008, 03:11:41 PM »

Just read on Yahoo that Romney announced today that he is dropping out:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080207/pl_nm/usa_politics_romney_dc_9

This should sew it up for McCain.  Will be interesting to watch the remaining primaries to see if Romney supporters will move to McCain or Huckabee
The news was explaining it as he's "suspending" his campaign at this time. Which would mean he may come back later (this way he doesn't have to give up his delegates at this time). :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 03:17:03 PM »

The news was explaining it as he's "suspending" his campaign at this time. Which would mean he may come back later (this way he doesn't have to give up his delegates at this time). :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
No, I just watched his entire speech and he's dropping out for good to support McCain's bid and to ensure that Obama/Clinton don't gain any more traction.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »

from his own web site:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Washington, D.C. – Today, addressing the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), Governor Romney announced that he was suspending his presidential campaign for the sake of Republican unity and the future of our country. In 2008, Republicans must stand united if we are to prevent Senators Clinton and Obama from taking the White House. As a nation at war and facing uncertain economic times, the American people cannot afford the Democrats and their agenda for retreat and economic slowdown. With today's speech, Governor Romney outlined the significance of this election and the need for the Republican Party to remain strong.

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 03:23:14 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

No, I just watched his entire speech and he's dropping out for good to support McCain's bid and to ensure that Obama/Clinton don't gain any more traction.  spyder

Yeah, I read too that the term is "suspending" his campaign.....either way, he's done.  Well, I guess if Romney's campaign is "suspended" and he hangs on to his deligates he could come back and get the nomination by default if McCain strokes-out or something.
Also makes me wonder if there was not some kind of backroom discussion about the VP job?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 03:27:50 PM by LRebel »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 04:02:11 PM »

Guess Romney decided not to waste spend more of his mega millions on running.

Back room political deals are business as usual.  Figure he & Huckabee are vying for VP.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2008, 04:14:29 PM »

Guess Romney decided not to waste spend more of his mega millions on running.

Back room political deals are business as usual.  Figure he & Huckabee are vying for VP.

I suspect you may be right about the VP job.

I read that Romney spent $40 million of his own money on his campaign.....I guess that was his "mad" money that he really didn't need anyway. 
I guess that's how the other half lives....I wouldn't know :nixweiss:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2008, 04:21:21 PM »

I suspect you may be right about the VP job.

I read that Romney spent $40 million of his own money on his campaign.....I guess that was his "mad" money that he really didn't need anyway. 
I guess that's how the other half lives....I wouldn't know :nixweiss:
WOW!!!! Just think what 40 million of mad money could do for us OCD/SEO fools. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 04:30:43 PM »

WOW!!!! Just think what 40 million of mad money could do for us OCD/SEO fools. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

In a few years, with inflation, it might buy us a year's supply of gas for our CVO's.   :o   (Hope not)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Yeah, imagine the possibilities.......chrome plated tires :2vrolijk_21:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2008, 06:56:07 PM »

If McCain's got even 1/2 a lick of common sense he'll pick Huckabee for VEEP. Huckabee will bring in the faithful and they're the ones screamin at McCain at the moment. Romney can't do that.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2008, 09:33:47 PM »

If McCain's got even 1/2 a lick of common sense he'll pick Huckabee for VEEP. Huckabee will bring in the faithful and they're the ones screamin at McCain at the moment. Romney can't do that.

I love casting runes trying to figure VP choices.  What if the Primary campaign season left them hating each other?  What if this, what if that.....

Governor Huckabee does bring some calm to the conservative base.  He'd also be at least some benefit for the "south."  But that won't seal the deal.

One thing to remember for whomever Senator McCain ends up choosing.  Governors that are candidates for President seem willing to pick from anywhere for their VP choices.  The rare Representative from the US Congress who makes it nominee status seems willing to consider from across a wider board as well.  Senators almost always pick from the Senate.  It's such a club.  And they (nearly) all aspire to the big job.  So they have shared dreams. 

No matter how much sense it might make for McCain to pick some particular someone else.  Good odds have to go to him choosing first from some current or past member of the Senate. 

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »

Remember, McCain is old 71-72 . His choice for VP should be mindful of that reality.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2008, 08:48:21 AM »

I love casting runes trying to figure VP choices.  What if the Primary campaign season left them hating each other?  What if this, what if that.....

Governor Huckabee does bring some calm to the conservative base.  He'd also be at least some benefit for the "south."  But that won't seal the deal.

One thing to remember for whomever Senator McCain ends up choosing.  Governors that are candidates for President seem willing to pick from anywhere for their VP choices.  The rare Representative from the US Congress who makes it nominee status seems willing to consider from across a wider board as well.  Senators almost always pick from the Senate.  It's such a club.  And they (nearly) all aspire to the big job.  So they have shared dreams. 

No matter how much sense it might make for McCain to pick some particular someone else.  Good odds have to go to him choosing first from some current or past member of the Senate. 

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2008, 10:14:26 AM »

Remember, McCain is old 71-72 . His choice for VP should be mindful of that reality.

...easy, pick another <OWG.  :nervous: Doc

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2008, 10:55:30 AM »

If McCain has any sense (and trust me, I'm not giving him too much credit in that category), and if the National Republican Party Leaders have any forethought, they will look for a VP that will possibly be a good presidential candidate in 4 years - Not some empty suit that will set quietly on the sideline nodding his head (after all, McCain is OLD - might not be up to another campaign and 4 year term).  IMO, a good VP will be someone that will bring unity back to the Republican Party and one that can also restore conservative values.
If the "powers that be" don't think this through, they stand a good chance of loosing the loyal Republican voters, because IMO, it's starting to get awfully darn hard to tell the Republicans from the Dems.
Who do I think would be a VP that could be a viable candidate in 4 years and accomplish what the Republican party needs?..... I can't think of anyone that would be the perfect candidate.  Maybe Huckleberry would be as good as any :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.