Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Garmin Introduces Nuvifone  (Read 6204 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Garmin Introduces Nuvifone
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:38:11 PM »

New York/January 30, 2008/PR Newswire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN) and the world’s leading GPS manufacturer, today announced its entrance into the mobile phone market with the nüvifone, an all-in-one, sleek and slim, touchscreen device that combines a premium phone, mobile web-browser, and cutting-edge personal navigator. The nüvifone is a work of art in features, design and functionality and is destined to transform how individuals connect, communicate and navigate their life.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Garmin Introduces Nuvifone
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:59:35 PM »

New York/January 30, 2008/PR Newswire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN) and the world’s leading GPS manufacturer, today announced its entrance into the mobile phone market with the nüvifone, an all-in-one, sleek and slim, touchscreen device that combines a premium phone, mobile web-browser, and cutting-edge personal navigator. The nüvifone is a work of art in features, design and functionality and is destined to transform how individuals connect, communicate and navigate their life.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

It's cr&p like this that is keeping them from giving me a Zumo with color radar.  >:(

:indian_chief:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:32:37 PM »

kinda neat.....wonder how the quality is?  thanks D00d.  8) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09:27 PM »

Ok, for two years ( I don't really know how long it has been) you have been saying the ZUMO 550 is the model, the be all and the end all of GPS for the bike.  And now the God of GPS posts a new Garmin product....... what is the deal?  Is this a better than the Zumo 550 or just a nice to know about product.  I can not keep up.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »

Ok, for two years ( I don't really know how long it has been) you have been saying the ZUMO 550 is the model, the be all and the end all of GPS for the bike.  And now the God of GPS posts a new Garmin product....... what is the deal?  Is this a better than the Zumo 550 or just a nice to know about product.  I can not keep up.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 04:41:41 AM »

I don't use my 550 anymore. I threw it out when my wife told me to "get lost"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 06:43:34 AM »

It still is (IMO), but this would be nice for someone that was looking to have a smartphone w/GPS option. There is no way I would be able to give up my Zumo for something like that I would imagine the screen wouldn't be big enough to use on the bike. :nixweiss: Along w/most of these multi use gadgets will lack features that an instrument that has one primary function has.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 06:55:14 AM »

Good to know.  Thanks.  ;D  Why is everyone being mean to me, I just asked.  Jamey is trying to find the money to buy the 550, so if there is a change in the wind, want to know what it is, that's all. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 07:10:09 AM »

It's more or less inevitable that some manufacturer will create a handlebar or radio integrated device that will combine GPS, phone, mini-pc, MP3 player, & who knows what else.  The Bluetooth capability of the 550 already does this (no pc) - figure there will be better versions eventually. Maybe it will even be voice activated like my Palm Treo phone. 

Still like the Zumo 550 - know it will be hopelessly outdated in the next 2-5 years, but won't buy the brand spankin' new version until the price drops well below $1,000. 

There are other GPS phones - mine could be adapted to be one unless I read the literature wrong.  I have Google Maps bookmarked in it & that works ok.  I have a couple of websites bookmarked that have color radar. New Nuvi phone looks ok - not for me.

The days when I rode a bike with no electronic stuff, etc. are getting farther & farther away.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 07:15:47 AM »

...The days when I rode a bike with no electronic stuff, etc. are getting farther & farther away.
Isn't that the truth.  I had to remind my husband just yesterday, that there used to be a time that people did not have bikes with even a windshield on them, so that is why there is so much uproar about the easy pass for the toll booths.  We have gotten very spoiled, and very fast at it too.   ;)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:34:26 AM »

Isn't that the truth.  I had to remind my husband just yesterday, that there used to be a time that people did not have bikes with even a windshield on them, so that is why there is so much uproar about the easy pass for the toll booths.  We have gotten very spoiled, and very fast at it too.   ;)

Mrs.We - Sometimes I remember the Good Old Days & then I remember in a few years these will be the Good Old Days.

Took an Iron Butt ride a few years ago in Florida.  Only bike with an Easy Pass was mine.  Lots of foot tapping at the umpteen toll booths.  Times have sure changed - rode with no windshield for many years.  8)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »

Good to know.  Thanks.  ;D  Why is everyone being mean to me, I just asked.  Jamey is trying to find the money to buy the 550, so if there is a change in the wind, want to know what it is, that's all. 
Mrs.We, I don't think anyone is being mean to you.  (well, twolanerider did use the whip trying to imply that you needed to 'keep up'....har!).  I love my zumo 550....still trying to learn all of it's capabilities....it's much smarter than I.  Will you and Jamie both have one or will he be like BlueFelix and have to follow the navigator?  :nixweiss: har!  :huepfenlol2: :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 08:17:50 AM »

Mrs.We, I don't think anyone is being mean to you.  (well, twolanerider did use the whip trying to imply that you needed to 'keep up'....har!).  I love my zumo 550....still trying to learn all of it's capabilities....it's much smarter than I.  Will you and Jamie both have one or will he be like BlueFelix and have to follow the navigator?  :nixweiss: har!  :huepfenlol2: :drink: spyder
Definately only one.  We ride together almost all the time.  Seldom separate.  One is all you need.  And I was only joking.   :)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »

I check Garmin's site at least once a week, hoping to see that they've released a Zumo product with color radar. I've seen this picture for at least a solid year.

The Zumo is got to be getting long in the tooth and I have to believe something new is coming along. For awhile they were bringing out new models quite frequently, but the 550 has been here for quite some time now.

It's time for my new motorcycle unit with radar.

I'm waiting......(tapping fingers on desk)  :)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 11:59:11 AM »

I check Garmin's site at least once a week, hoping to see that they've released a Zumo product with color radar. I've seen this picture for at least a solid year.

The Zumo is got to be getting long in the tooth and I have to believe something new is coming along. For awhile they were bringing out new models quite frequently, but the 550 has been here for quite some time now.

It's time for my new motorcycle unit with radar.

I'm waiting......(tapping fingers on desk)  :)

Chuck,
Keep tapping, the Zumo 1050 with collision avoidance and dopler weather radar won't be out on the streets for quite awhile.  Seems they can't find a suitable place to mount the suitcase sized linear amplified needed to provide the atmospheric-cutting 10,000 watts for the dopler radar.  Also, they're still trying to figure out how to prevent the "crispy critter" effect on people ahead of you.   ::) :P

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.