Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Tall windshield on my SERK-better riding comfort?  (Read 8297 times)

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member
Tall windshield on my SERK-better riding comfort?
« on: February 10, 2008, 08:42:23 PM »

Will the tall windshield give me better riding comfort? I have the stock oversized wind deflector on mine and its just high enough to deflect wind right into my face. Anyone have the tall windshield on their SERK?

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK
Twilight Blue & Candy Cobalt

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

dreid3667

Re: Tall windshield on my SERK-better riding comfort?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 09:52:40 PM »

I have a 2007 FLHRSE, I bought the extra tall clear windshield. It is about 2" taller than the standard windshield on Roadkings.It really works great. Parts # 57995-96,I paid 265.36 plus shipping From zanottimotor.com. I would rather rise my bike without a windshield instead of using the wind deflector that came on the bike. If you are wanting most all the wind off your face, then go with the extra tall full size windshield I mentioned above. My wife is also glad I bought the new windshield.

owenja

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 09:53:53 PM »

Go to the vendor section and check out the clearview shields.  You'll be happy with them...

Jim

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:32:57 AM »

If you have the stock short windshield, you should at least get a standard Road King winshield of normal height.  I bought one for my 03 SERK and love it.  The short one was like not having one.  I guess it is sporty.  I sold mine on ebay.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »

Go to the vendor section and check out the clearview shields.  You'll be happy with them...

Jim

Yup, clearviews are thicker and flex less...I had one mt serk til I went with the DC fairing.

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 08:43:24 AM »

Clearview 17" is excellent. I'll use that for short trips and the fairing for longer ones. The stock screen was worthless last year on the trip to Sturgis, causing me to get some decent options.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 09:17:32 AM »

The stock wind deflector works perfectly!  It deflects the wind directly into your face, pulling your glasses off and ripping at your helmet!  It is so much more comfortable to ride with no windshield at all compared to this little marvel!

I purchased the standard RK windshield for mine and it provides an adequate amount of protection from the wind.  I'm 6'1" and I can see clearly above the top edge.  The only problem is the wind that still comes up around the tank, but it is not bad.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:27:48 AM »

The Clearview Windshields are the answer IMO.

Depending on your height they can help you get the correct height.  Make sure to get the "euro lip" as it is the best way to create the bubble effect to toss the wind over your head and greatly reduce/eliminate the turbulance around your head (from the wind  :huepfenlol2:).

Many of use have the Clearview and the windshield is dramatically clearer when you look through it as well.  A great investment in improving your riding experience.

Rog

Here are a couple of threads on Clearview for the SERK.  The first is Hoist's with pics of the euro lip.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11268.15

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=4606.0

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 09:56:14 AM by Rjob749 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 09:46:52 AM »

The Clearview Windshields are the answer IMO.

Depending on your height they can help you get the correct height.  Make sure to get the "euro lip" as it is the best way to create the bubble effect to toss the wind over your head and greatly reduce/eliminate the turbulance arond your head (from the wind  :huepfenlol2:).

Many of use have the Clearview and the windshield is dramatically clearer when you look through it as well.  A great investment in improving your riding experience.

Rog

Here are a couple of threads on Clearview for the SERK.  The first is Hoist's with pics of the euro lip.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11268.15

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=4606.0

I replaced the stock SERK windscreen, which was useless to me, with a HD Mid-low windshield. Much better. Then I replaced the lexan from the HD Mid-low, with an 18" clearview, and noticed no appreciable difference. Maybe the Clearview is good on a FD but it offers no benefit on my SERK, IMO. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 09:56:57 AM »

One benefit is the MoCo ain't gettin the few bucks...   >:(

Send it to John instead... :)

Miker

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 09:57:56 AM »

I replaced the stock SERK windscreen, which was useless to me, with a HD Mid-low windshield. Much better. Then I replaced the lexan from the HD Mid-low, with an 18" clearview, and noticed no appreciable difference. Maybe the Clearview is good on a FD but it offers no benefit on my SERK, IMO. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie, sounds to me like Binx was right.......you needed another inch. :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:19:11 AM by Rjob749 »

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »

I bought a low profile windshield for my serk and almost wish that I had bought the king size. I am 6' and the low profile blocks the wind from my forhead down. I tried a friends king size and found I was completely out of the wind. You may want to try both before laying out the $$$.  KB
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:22:53 AM by kb »
kb

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 09:05:21 PM »

I bought a low profile windshield for my seek and almost wish that I had bought the king size. I am 6' and the low profile blocks the wind from my forhead down. I tried a friends king size and found I was completely out of the wind. You may want to try both before laying out the $$$.  KB
King size works great for me. About 6'2" and good wind protection.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »

I got the Clearview with recurve.  While it was better than the stock mini-shield, it was far from what I was hoping for.  Still a lot of buffetting.  I don't use either one of them now.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 01:51:08 PM »

Thanks TN, you and Hoist got this hard bag thing started. The rest of us are just trying to keep up.

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

nightvet

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Annie SERK
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »

The answer is going to be dependent on your height. I got the mid-low HD shield and it's just about perfect. I'm 5'8".
The standard height I had on my previous RK Classic was at just the wrong height - if I pushed my self upright I'd just get over the edge and if I slouched just a bit I'd be looking through the lexan. With the mid-low I get plenty of protection and can see over the edge without problem. Like everyone else, I find the deflector worse than worthless, deflecting the wind right into my face.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »

The answer is going to be dependent on your height. I got the mid-low HD shield and it's just about perfect. I'm 5'8".
The standard height I had on my previous RK Classic was at just the wrong height - if I pushed my self upright I'd just get over the edge and if I slouched just a bit I'd be looking through the lexan. With the mid-low I get plenty of protection and can see over the edge without problem. Like everyone else, I find the deflector worse than worthless, deflecting the wind right into my face.

It's as if I've written that entire post myself NV! I'm 5-9 and bought the same windshield for the same reasons. My previous std. RK winshields were always too tall. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Travelinshoes

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 08:02:02 PM »

I'm 6' 2" and have the tall windshield and the tall boy seat on mine and the combo works perfect for me.  I can't compare the clearview, as I've never seen one, but I'm happy with the harley tall windshield.  As far as the flexing.....mine held up at 110.   :nixweiss:

T

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 10:11:03 PM »

I have the Clearview re-curve 17", it is perfect for me at 5'10".

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 10:47:07 PM »

I'm 5'9" and using the HD mid-low which works out perfect. The little smoked one is good looking when she's parked. JW

Fruitcake

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: My wifes bike 2004 FLSTC
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 08:53:02 AM »

I have a 2007 SERC and I hate my stock windshield as well!

I'm 5' 8" as you are, my last bike was a 2002 RKC and that windshield was just a little to tall not by much I had the same problem as you had with that windshield!

If I sat up straight I was finer if I  slouched  down a bit I was looking thru the Lexan

OK!    Where did you get your windshield?   And is it a lot better than the stock one?
We love Riding the hills of the North East Kingdom of VT, Northern NH and Western ME.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »

Fruitcake

Here's the p/n on the windshield nightvet and I were referring to: Road King® Detachable King-Size Windshield - Mid-Low Profile 58325-06. It works great for me. The smoke stock one is strickly for looks. Mine is stuffed in storage somewhere.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

Will the tall windshield give me better riding comfort? I have the stock oversized wind deflector on mine and its just high enough to deflect wind right into my face. Anyone have the tall windshield on their SERK?

Do yourself a favour and check out Memphis Shades.  You can have a tall windshield that has some colour in it to match your bike... Looks awesome!

Good luck with your choice and ride safe!

Take care,
Grizzly
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Fruitcake

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »

Fruitcake

Here's the p/n on the windshield nightvet and I were referring to: Road King® Detachable King-Size Windshield - Mid-Low Profile 58325-06. It works great for me. The smoke stock one is strickly for looks. Mine is stuffed in storage somewhere.

Thanks!

I will order one today!
We love Riding the hills of the North East Kingdom of VT, Northern NH and Western ME.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 04:05:37 AM »

Fruitcake

Hey Black Diamond 110,

It's been a while, how you been? I am curious why everyone hates the stock Windshield so much? There must be overwhelming evidence to justify the additional expenses for the replacement, which seems so common. What's the deal?

So far, I have had little or no problems with the stock windshield, although, I've been a whopping 575 miles so far. Teach me fearless one.....

Mike K.
kona76
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 09:24:58 AM »

Hey Mike

My problem with the stocked smoker is it buffers just enough to direct the passing air directly into my face knocking my glasses about. After 30 or 40 miles of constantly adjusting my eyes, I figure it ain't worth it. She rides better naked than with the little smoker on.  ;D  For riding around town, work and the like I guess it would be ok but when I'm riding I perfer something I'm just able to look over. More comfort and I can hear her purring while I ride. My music is my motor.

I'm not sure about the fearless thing, last time I got shot at I recall being scared chitless!  :o After we were done I mean!  ;)

JW

Fruitcake

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 07:17:02 PM »

Fruitcake

On the HD web site it says I need this part # kit 58221-04. Did you buy this mounting kit as well? And if you did how much was it? I can't find it on the web site for some reason!

nightvet

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Annie SERK
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 02:58:39 AM »

You don't need it - that's to provide the mounting hardware on the Road King Custom which comes without windshield mounting hardware. The mid-low will mount on the same hardware the little smoker uses.

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 09:05:09 AM »

I really like the looks of the small original shield, but on long trips I was getting plastered with bugs. At each gas stop I had to do a complete "debugging" of my glasses, my face, my teeth!!!

The Clearview 17" is a nice alternative.

Fruitcake

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »

You don't need it - that's to provide the mounting hardware on the Road King Custom which comes without windshield mounting hardware. The mid-low will mount on the same hardware the little smoker uses.

Thanks again, I'm sick of my helmet and glasses almost ripping my head off by the stock windshield and for saving me money!

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »

I checked out Memphis site and they have replacement wind shields available. My question is this, can you use your original equipment on their wd's? (replacement kits). I want to keep the price down by using my original equipment. Good ideas to drill holes to make the shield fit. just a thought
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:07:21 PM by lzyboy »
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 08:26:07 PM »

MJZ,
can you send me a pic, I'm 5'10" and looking for a shield. color to match (of course)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »

FWIW I'm 5' 8.75" and shrinking, and went with a Clearview 18" with recurve in light smoke. Waited over two months for it, and am less than impressed with quality. Yeah it's thicker, so it vibrates less, but mine has small circular (about 1 mm diameter or so) inclusions visible IN the plastic -- kinda looks like tiny water drops.  I probably should have gone with their 19". The 18" puts the windstream right at the top of my head when I slouch and on my forehead if I sit bolt upright. My sightplane is right at the top edge of the 18" so I can easily see over it. I also have the extra tall Road King windshield which I got to replace a damaged OEM shield, but haven't got to try it yet. Now I see from various posts that there are taller SERK owners than I that apparently are getting acceptable protection with shorter windshields (under 18") than mine. I can only surmise that this might be attributed to different torso or leg lengths and/or riding posture. I.E. two people of the exact same height might require different height windshields to place the windstream above their forehead.

leoniru

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »

I have a 2007 FLHRSE, I bought the extra tall clear windshield. It is about 2" taller than the standard windshield on Roadkings.It really works great. Parts # 57995-96,I paid 265.36 plus shipping From zanottimotor.com. I would rather rise my bike without a windshield instead of using the wind deflector that came on the bike. If you are wanting most all the wind off your face, then go with the extra tall full size windshield I mentioned above. My wife is also glad I bought the new windshield.

Wouldn't work over here, as soon as it rained you'd be blind.   

Has anyone seen the windscreen wipers which have been designed for bikes.  I've seen 2, the first one is a blade you pull across the top of the windscreen (unsafe) the other had the same fixings but was battery powered.
My mate had one on his Golding along with an ashtray!!!

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:59 PM »

it's interesting to read all the post of different height riders and what shield height works for them. You quickly see that the height of the shield has very little to do with the height of the rider. It comes down to what each person preceives as best for them. After riding a couple thousand miles with the original shield I was ready to be happy with just about anything. The 17' Clearview was GREAT compared to the original shorty, even though it was no where near covering my full face (I'm right at 6'). I got the 9" smoke with the fairing which puts it at about the same height as the 17".

I don't like teh way face shields look, but I'll seriously consider replacing my helmet visor with a full face shield for those long long trips. It will be popped off at every stop and only used on the highways.

anglia48

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »

I installed a clear tall windshield on my 08 RK. Very happy with it. Less wind in the face. Quiter ride too.   

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2008, 06:36:33 PM »

it's interesting to read all the post of different height riders and what shield height works for them. You quickly see that the height of the shield has very little to do with the height of the rider. It comes down to what each person preceives as best for them. After riding a couple thousand miles with the original shield I was ready to be happy with just about anything. The 17' Clearview was GREAT compared to the original shorty, even though it was no where near covering my full face (I'm right at 6'). I got the 9" smoke with the fairing which puts it at about the same height as the 17".

I don't like teh way face shields look, but I'll seriously consider replacing my helmet visor with a full face shield for those long long trips. It will be popped off at every stop and only used on the highways.
The type(height) of seat and if you use highway pegs are some oher things that determine where the windstream is going to buffet you.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 04:36:59 PM »

Had a chance to ride for about 5 hours yesterday. First long test of the fairing with a 9' shield. For the first time ever (including my years on a WG) I experienced no buffeting at all. Nice.

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 09:44:49 PM »

I know this post has been shuffled to the back. However, many questions and answers were given. I looked around for many products to satisfy my needs. Basically to find a windshield. Many companies sold just the shields with no hardware. Called mephis and they will sell the wind shield without the hardware. So $100.00 up just for plastic and more for the hardware.

Clearview, sells a 7 hole shield allowing me to use my existing hardware and will be here at the end of the month (April). Let you all know what it looks like and how rides.

Its 17" light smoke, fits existing hardware. Good price with CVO discount.. so far so good.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 08:02:25 AM »

I know this post has been shuffled to the back. However, many questions and answers were given. I looked around for many products to satisfy my needs. Basically to find a windshield. Many companies sold just the shields with no hardware. Called mephis and they will sell the wind shield without the hardware. So $100.00 up just for plastic and more for the hardware.

Clearview, sells a 7 hole shield allowing me to use my existing hardware and will be here at the end of the month (April). Let you all know what it looks like and how rides.

Its 17" light smoke, fits existing hardware. Good price with CVO discount.. so far so good.

They work pretty good...I have one 18" light tint...It is a nice product just check for inclusions and take your time installing the hardware.   :2vrolijk_21:

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 11:22:09 AM »

I have the 17' and don't see any markings, quality problems. It's a real nice windshield, less buffeting than a regular HD shield. Others may not have had a problem, but I thought it was much harder than I expected to take the original hardware off the HD shield and put on the Clearview. Be very careful not to bend the metal straps when you remove them from the original - they are stuck on real tight.

neocacher

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »

i bought a used Road King windshield today for my 08 SERK.  I mounted it but I havent had a chance to ride with it yet.  The stock shorty looks good,  but I wouldnt want to go on a long trip with it.  But I would not say it is totally useless.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 08:25:02 AM »

I have the 17' and don't see any markings, quality problems. It's a real nice windshield, less buffeting than a regular HD shield. Others may not have had a problem, but I thought it was much harder than I expected to take the original hardware off the HD shield and put on the Clearview. Be very careful not to bend the metal straps when you remove them from the original - they are stuck on real tight.

Use a heat gun to soften up the adhesive.  You can then stick them on the new shield.  I bought a tinted 17" replacement from Rifle with the seven mounting holes.  Very pleased.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »

Use a heat gun to soften up the adhesive.  You can then stick them on the new shield.  I bought a tinted 17" replacement from Rifle with the seven mounting holes.  Very pleased.

This week I just got one of the Rifle windshields just like skreminegul07. I was using a stock size Road King windshield which was a little too tall.

I do notice that I don't seem to get as much air around my 1/2 helmet with the Rifle 17" shield versus the 19.5" stock RK shield. Now you would think that the taller one would do better in this area but at 75~90 the wind around my helmet is less with the shorter windshield. I was curious today after reading this post again as to why and maybe this is the reason.

The Rifle windshield is about 1" wider then the stock RK windshield. This Rifle windshield is the one made specifically for the SERK windshield hardware with the 7 bolt pattern across.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 21 queries.