Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Tall windshield on my SERK-better riding comfort?  (Read 8295 times)

nightvet

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Annie SERK
Re: Tall windshield on my SERK-better riding comfort?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »

The answer is going to be dependent on your height. I got the mid-low HD shield and it's just about perfect. I'm 5'8".
The standard height I had on my previous RK Classic was at just the wrong height - if I pushed my self upright I'd just get over the edge and if I slouched just a bit I'd be looking through the lexan. With the mid-low I get plenty of protection and can see over the edge without problem. Like everyone else, I find the deflector worse than worthless, deflecting the wind right into my face.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »

The answer is going to be dependent on your height. I got the mid-low HD shield and it's just about perfect. I'm 5'8".
The standard height I had on my previous RK Classic was at just the wrong height - if I pushed my self upright I'd just get over the edge and if I slouched just a bit I'd be looking through the lexan. With the mid-low I get plenty of protection and can see over the edge without problem. Like everyone else, I find the deflector worse than worthless, deflecting the wind right into my face.

It's as if I've written that entire post myself NV! I'm 5-9 and bought the same windshield for the same reasons. My previous std. RK winshields were always too tall. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Travelinshoes

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 08:02:02 PM »

I'm 6' 2" and have the tall windshield and the tall boy seat on mine and the combo works perfect for me.  I can't compare the clearview, as I've never seen one, but I'm happy with the harley tall windshield.  As far as the flexing.....mine held up at 110.   :nixweiss:

T

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 10:11:03 PM »

I have the Clearview re-curve 17", it is perfect for me at 5'10".

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 10:47:07 PM »

I'm 5'9" and using the HD mid-low which works out perfect. The little smoked one is good looking when she's parked. JW

Fruitcake

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: My wifes bike 2004 FLSTC
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 08:53:02 AM »

I have a 2007 SERC and I hate my stock windshield as well!

I'm 5' 8" as you are, my last bike was a 2002 RKC and that windshield was just a little to tall not by much I had the same problem as you had with that windshield!

If I sat up straight I was finer if I  slouched  down a bit I was looking thru the Lexan

OK!    Where did you get your windshield?   And is it a lot better than the stock one?
We love Riding the hills of the North East Kingdom of VT, Northern NH and Western ME.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »

Fruitcake

Here's the p/n on the windshield nightvet and I were referring to: Road King® Detachable King-Size Windshield - Mid-Low Profile 58325-06. It works great for me. The smoke stock one is strickly for looks. Mine is stuffed in storage somewhere.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

Will the tall windshield give me better riding comfort? I have the stock oversized wind deflector on mine and its just high enough to deflect wind right into my face. Anyone have the tall windshield on their SERK?

Do yourself a favour and check out Memphis Shades.  You can have a tall windshield that has some colour in it to match your bike... Looks awesome!

Good luck with your choice and ride safe!

Take care,
Grizzly
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Fruitcake

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »

Fruitcake

Here's the p/n on the windshield nightvet and I were referring to: Road King® Detachable King-Size Windshield - Mid-Low Profile 58325-06. It works great for me. The smoke stock one is strickly for looks. Mine is stuffed in storage somewhere.

Thanks!

I will order one today!
We love Riding the hills of the North East Kingdom of VT, Northern NH and Western ME.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 04:05:37 AM »

Fruitcake

Hey Black Diamond 110,

It's been a while, how you been? I am curious why everyone hates the stock Windshield so much? There must be overwhelming evidence to justify the additional expenses for the replacement, which seems so common. What's the deal?

So far, I have had little or no problems with the stock windshield, although, I've been a whopping 575 miles so far. Teach me fearless one.....

Mike K.
kona76
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 09:24:58 AM »

Hey Mike

My problem with the stocked smoker is it buffers just enough to direct the passing air directly into my face knocking my glasses about. After 30 or 40 miles of constantly adjusting my eyes, I figure it ain't worth it. She rides better naked than with the little smoker on.  ;D  For riding around town, work and the like I guess it would be ok but when I'm riding I perfer something I'm just able to look over. More comfort and I can hear her purring while I ride. My music is my motor.

I'm not sure about the fearless thing, last time I got shot at I recall being scared chitless!  :o After we were done I mean!  ;)

JW

Fruitcake

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 07:17:02 PM »

Fruitcake

On the HD web site it says I need this part # kit 58221-04. Did you buy this mounting kit as well? And if you did how much was it? I can't find it on the web site for some reason!

nightvet

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Annie SERK
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 02:58:39 AM »

You don't need it - that's to provide the mounting hardware on the Road King Custom which comes without windshield mounting hardware. The mid-low will mount on the same hardware the little smoker uses.

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 09:05:09 AM »

I really like the looks of the small original shield, but on long trips I was getting plastered with bugs. At each gas stop I had to do a complete "debugging" of my glasses, my face, my teeth!!!

The Clearview 17" is a nice alternative.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

Fruitcake

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »

You don't need it - that's to provide the mounting hardware on the Road King Custom which comes without windshield mounting hardware. The mid-low will mount on the same hardware the little smoker uses.

Thanks again, I'm sick of my helmet and glasses almost ripping my head off by the stock windshield and for saving me money!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 21 queries.