Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Tall windshield on my SERK-better riding comfort?  (Read 8296 times)

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
Re: Tall windshield on my SERK-better riding comfort?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »

I checked out Memphis site and they have replacement wind shields available. My question is this, can you use your original equipment on their wd's? (replacement kits). I want to keep the price down by using my original equipment. Good ideas to drill holes to make the shield fit. just a thought
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:07:21 PM by lzyboy »
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 08:26:07 PM »

MJZ,
can you send me a pic, I'm 5'10" and looking for a shield. color to match (of course)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »

FWIW I'm 5' 8.75" and shrinking, and went with a Clearview 18" with recurve in light smoke. Waited over two months for it, and am less than impressed with quality. Yeah it's thicker, so it vibrates less, but mine has small circular (about 1 mm diameter or so) inclusions visible IN the plastic -- kinda looks like tiny water drops.  I probably should have gone with their 19". The 18" puts the windstream right at the top of my head when I slouch and on my forehead if I sit bolt upright. My sightplane is right at the top edge of the 18" so I can easily see over it. I also have the extra tall Road King windshield which I got to replace a damaged OEM shield, but haven't got to try it yet. Now I see from various posts that there are taller SERK owners than I that apparently are getting acceptable protection with shorter windshields (under 18") than mine. I can only surmise that this might be attributed to different torso or leg lengths and/or riding posture. I.E. two people of the exact same height might require different height windshields to place the windstream above their forehead.

leoniru

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »

I have a 2007 FLHRSE, I bought the extra tall clear windshield. It is about 2" taller than the standard windshield on Roadkings.It really works great. Parts # 57995-96,I paid 265.36 plus shipping From zanottimotor.com. I would rather rise my bike without a windshield instead of using the wind deflector that came on the bike. If you are wanting most all the wind off your face, then go with the extra tall full size windshield I mentioned above. My wife is also glad I bought the new windshield.

Wouldn't work over here, as soon as it rained you'd be blind.   

Has anyone seen the windscreen wipers which have been designed for bikes.  I've seen 2, the first one is a blade you pull across the top of the windscreen (unsafe) the other had the same fixings but was battery powered.
My mate had one on his Golding along with an ashtray!!!

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:59 PM »

it's interesting to read all the post of different height riders and what shield height works for them. You quickly see that the height of the shield has very little to do with the height of the rider. It comes down to what each person preceives as best for them. After riding a couple thousand miles with the original shield I was ready to be happy with just about anything. The 17' Clearview was GREAT compared to the original shorty, even though it was no where near covering my full face (I'm right at 6'). I got the 9" smoke with the fairing which puts it at about the same height as the 17".

I don't like teh way face shields look, but I'll seriously consider replacing my helmet visor with a full face shield for those long long trips. It will be popped off at every stop and only used on the highways.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

anglia48

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »

I installed a clear tall windshield on my 08 RK. Very happy with it. Less wind in the face. Quiter ride too.   

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2008, 06:36:33 PM »

it's interesting to read all the post of different height riders and what shield height works for them. You quickly see that the height of the shield has very little to do with the height of the rider. It comes down to what each person preceives as best for them. After riding a couple thousand miles with the original shield I was ready to be happy with just about anything. The 17' Clearview was GREAT compared to the original shorty, even though it was no where near covering my full face (I'm right at 6'). I got the 9" smoke with the fairing which puts it at about the same height as the 17".

I don't like teh way face shields look, but I'll seriously consider replacing my helmet visor with a full face shield for those long long trips. It will be popped off at every stop and only used on the highways.
The type(height) of seat and if you use highway pegs are some oher things that determine where the windstream is going to buffet you.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 04:36:59 PM »

Had a chance to ride for about 5 hours yesterday. First long test of the fairing with a 9' shield. For the first time ever (including my years on a WG) I experienced no buffeting at all. Nice.

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 09:44:49 PM »

I know this post has been shuffled to the back. However, many questions and answers were given. I looked around for many products to satisfy my needs. Basically to find a windshield. Many companies sold just the shields with no hardware. Called mephis and they will sell the wind shield without the hardware. So $100.00 up just for plastic and more for the hardware.

Clearview, sells a 7 hole shield allowing me to use my existing hardware and will be here at the end of the month (April). Let you all know what it looks like and how rides.

Its 17" light smoke, fits existing hardware. Good price with CVO discount.. so far so good.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 08:02:25 AM »

I know this post has been shuffled to the back. However, many questions and answers were given. I looked around for many products to satisfy my needs. Basically to find a windshield. Many companies sold just the shields with no hardware. Called mephis and they will sell the wind shield without the hardware. So $100.00 up just for plastic and more for the hardware.

Clearview, sells a 7 hole shield allowing me to use my existing hardware and will be here at the end of the month (April). Let you all know what it looks like and how rides.

Its 17" light smoke, fits existing hardware. Good price with CVO discount.. so far so good.

They work pretty good...I have one 18" light tint...It is a nice product just check for inclusions and take your time installing the hardware.   :2vrolijk_21:

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 11:22:09 AM »

I have the 17' and don't see any markings, quality problems. It's a real nice windshield, less buffeting than a regular HD shield. Others may not have had a problem, but I thought it was much harder than I expected to take the original hardware off the HD shield and put on the Clearview. Be very careful not to bend the metal straps when you remove them from the original - they are stuck on real tight.

neocacher

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »

i bought a used Road King windshield today for my 08 SERK.  I mounted it but I havent had a chance to ride with it yet.  The stock shorty looks good,  but I wouldnt want to go on a long trip with it.  But I would not say it is totally useless.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 08:25:02 AM »

I have the 17' and don't see any markings, quality problems. It's a real nice windshield, less buffeting than a regular HD shield. Others may not have had a problem, but I thought it was much harder than I expected to take the original hardware off the HD shield and put on the Clearview. Be very careful not to bend the metal straps when you remove them from the original - they are stuck on real tight.

Use a heat gun to soften up the adhesive.  You can then stick them on the new shield.  I bought a tinted 17" replacement from Rifle with the seven mounting holes.  Very pleased.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »

Use a heat gun to soften up the adhesive.  You can then stick them on the new shield.  I bought a tinted 17" replacement from Rifle with the seven mounting holes.  Very pleased.

This week I just got one of the Rifle windshields just like skreminegul07. I was using a stock size Road King windshield which was a little too tall.

I do notice that I don't seem to get as much air around my 1/2 helmet with the Rifle 17" shield versus the 19.5" stock RK shield. Now you would think that the taller one would do better in this area but at 75~90 the wind around my helmet is less with the shorter windshield. I was curious today after reading this post again as to why and maybe this is the reason.

The Rifle windshield is about 1" wider then the stock RK windshield. This Rifle windshield is the one made specifically for the SERK windshield hardware with the 7 bolt pattern across.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.