Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Author Topic: AJ's 3rd gasket set  (Read 36660 times)

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
Re: AJ's 3rd gasket set
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2008, 09:49:43 AM »

I have a fellow jester rider that is on his first fix with about 14,000 miles and hd overnighted gaskets to them .they also are doing new jugs,valve guides (old were loose).His bike has no extras or mods.I told him the best way to get rid of the heat was a pro tunner ,se aircleaner,dyno,and pipes.He figures the 34,000 dollars it should be good to go already.  RIDE SAFE JDO

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 10:12:19 AM »

AJ,

Since you asked:   This whole subject is pretty damn pathetic for a 40k motorcyle that is flagship of the MoCo.

I would suggest someone else look at the motor another dealer based on some of the comments made.   I would not have anything milled down  If it needs ot be milled down they should replace it with new otherwise the only other reason to mill it down is to have headwork done and change the cylinders and walk away happy. 

In regards to the cylinders.

First off tell these F' nuts that they shouldnt be working on your bike.   They told you the clearance was good even though there was a noise, then if I recall correctly they told you they clearanced them.   There is no evidence there they even touched the rocker boxes.  That is a blatant lie or if they did not do it then they did not heed your complaint of noise which there is definitely evidence of hitting that went on.   Either case that is not good customer service no matter how you slice it.  Appeasement is not a good relationship.

1. Cylinders~demand new ones period end of subject.  If they refuse you get on the horn with the motor company and start to demand a new motor the cylinders will probably be their fall back.   Get from them to your satisfaction that if this happens a 4th time you want a new motor end of subject or you will be lemon lawing the bike.
2. demand new studs not the herky jerky it is fine ... fine does not equal what you have and why take another chance. 
3. those heads need to be cleaned up even if it is just a polish job, I would not put them back on unless they get a clean up job at the least.   I would not repeat not spray warm / hot or any other water into my intake.   (this is an old racing trick to remove carbon from your pistons and chamber not the gum you have in your chambers)   So to be clear I would not advocate doing this, but for those that want to know what you do is rev the engine after it is hot to say about 5000 rpm and give it a quick blast this will remove the carbon build up on the top of the pistons / chamber.)  This is not something that most of the people here /anywhere should be considering doing.   
4. At 20k miles get new springs put on the heads.   They make a set that handles up to .650 lift use those so later your choices arent limited.  I dont mean just bolt htem on either there is some tetious work there.
5. replace the lifters your basically going to rebuild the top end there is no reason not to pay for these out of your own pocket since it is apart.   More precautionary than anything else.
6  Do not allow them to put it back together until they get new cylinders put in new rings all new gaskets and clean the heads.   Yours look very similiar to mine if your remember the pictures.

Replace the compression releases since your already there and as Scott noted the wire looks burned.   They need to take their time and align that wire / shroud better so it is not another Harley repeat performance.

If you have any questions or want to discuss AJ call me on the cell.

I hope you get it fixed right this next go around,

If this were me it is time to be a bit aggressive with the dealership and motor company. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 07:09:44 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 10:38:27 AM »

AJ,

What a great thread and some great shots illustrating the ongoing problems with these engines.

I have to say y'all are much more devoted to these motors than I was.  As I sit here and write this, I find it unbelievable that a company with over a hundred years of making engines, would continue to produce a product that has such serious issues. I am not naive enough to know that in the end, it is all about the money, but this is truly a disgrace to the MoCo.  One model year was bad enough, but to produce the same engine in the 2008 model year really blows my mind.  WTF will they do next year. :nixweiss:

And on top of the mechanical issues, there are still way too many techs that have no idea how to fix a bike (as evidenced by the comments stated in this thread by those much more knowledgeable than I)

As you know, I ditched my bike after 5K miles to avoid the inevitable leaking heads.  I chose to take the easy way out because I do not have the time or patience, or mechanical ability to wait out a fix.  I really admire you folks who hang in there and attempt to get it right.  No way should anyone have to worry about this after spending what we do for these bikes.   I know my 2008 Ultra is not immune to problems, but so far so good.

I will continue to monitor the status of this as one of my friends still has a 2007 CUSE2 and has already had one repair.

I sincerely hope you get this repaired the right way and that one day, it finally sticks.  Best of luck and ride safe.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

hogasm

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2008, 11:10:32 AM »

AJ, I have had the opportunity to spend some time with the service rep in this area. They know there is a problem, a big problem.

In a joking statement by the rep, he said maybe the MOCO would come out with a service bulletin that a set screw should be installed in the cylinder to stop movement, since they are sooo cheap.

The MOCO will replace the cylinders.
There is a new set of gaskets....that have no part number....to replace the older ones.
Don't allow the dealer to continue any more work till the service rep sees the bike. You will probably get a new motor.
It appears to me that your service writer is an idiot, and his mechanics don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Probably why you are n for the 4th time.

Good luck

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2008, 07:33:51 PM »

Don't allow the dealer to continue any more work till the service rep sees the bike. You will probably get a new motor.
It appears to me that your service writer is an idiot, and his mechanics don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Probably why you are n for the 4th time.

Good luck

I'm with Brian, have the rep look at it and demand a new motor.  Good luck and keep us posted.  Bob

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2008, 12:43:20 AM »

I wanted to post a few more that show the ACR wire where it has begun to melt. Thanks to Chief for pointing it out.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2008, 12:44:40 AM »

These may be redundant but they are different shots.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2008, 12:45:28 AM »

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2008, 12:47:26 AM »

Last one. Maybe someone can see else that I am missing.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2008, 08:03:08 AM »

My only other comment would be that 19200 miles of your valve spring retainers hitting your rocker boxes has not done your valve guides any good.  The side load this interference has put on your valve guides has most likely caused premature wear at best...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 11:21:52 AM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2008, 11:17:42 AM »

Horse hockey...Make em cover the differnece with axtell barrels!  Howie is on to something, get as much hd crap off as you can...When mine grenades its off to Wes...My wa----ty is up 7 months, not extended.

Best of luck AJ....When you gonna be back down?

Miker

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2008, 11:55:13 AM »

Horse hockey...Make em cover the differnece with axtell barrels!  Howie is on to something, get as much hd crap off as you can...When mine grenades its off to Wes...My wa----ty is up 7 months, not extended.

Best of luck AJ....When you gonna be back down?

Miker

I'm hoping the bike will be done so I can make it down to Daytona and then head your way.

AJ

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2008, 02:27:30 PM »

So AJ where do you stand with the dealer, what are the plans at this point?    Now its our turn to ask for feedback  :huepfenlol2:

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »

So AJ where do you stand with the dealer, what are the plans at this point?    Now its our turn to ask for feedback  :huepfenlol2:

Harry, the plan right now is to wait until tomorrow morning when I will get on a conference call with Chuck and John M. from Harley Davidson. He has been my contact point at the MoCo and I will let him know what I have seen so far. Chief and I have been in contact with him previously. At this point I have absolutely no intention of replacing any part of a $35,000 motorcycle with an aftermarket part.

I will ask the MoCo to replace the cylinders again with new parts as well as new pistons and heads. A very good point was made here that if the valves and springs have been hitting the rocker boxes for as long as they have, there is sure to be premature wear on those parts. I feel that this is the least that they can do considering I made them aware of the situation over six months ago and nothing was done at that time.

Time will tell,

AJ

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »

I forgot to mention that the service department is closed on Sunday's now so there is no one in today.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 22 queries.