Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Jester Rebuild From the Ground Up  (Read 28065 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Jester Rebuild From the Ground Up
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2008, 05:01:53 PM »

Wow, that is awesome. Doesn't even look like the same frame  :2vrolijk_21: I guess that kind of brings this thread back to ground zero. Though all of the entertainment makes the time pass a little quicker till you get all the pieces back.  :huepfenlol2: For what it's worth ....We're all waiting, or at least I am. Can't wait to see some chrome next to that pretty red frame..... :2vrolijk_21:.....Jon

They did a good job. Until you really look at it, you don't realize how much splatter there is on the factory frames. You do know that they are different. I mean the red one was a brand new frame sent to Sumax and the black one still lives in my basement, without it's head. :)

:indian_chief:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »

Wow, what a difference. :o Never would have paid much attention before seeing the comparison. For those that weld is that splatter, etc normal and the MoCo just doesn't clean them up, or just poor workmanship?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

I've done some stick welding and a smidge of MIG welding just for fun and splatter wasn't that much of a problem. I'm not sure what factors could be changed to reduce or eliminate it. Each one of those is a little bead of metal stuck pretty good.

Sumax shows it can be done. I guess the MoCo just doesn't want to do it. Too much cha-ching wasted in their minds. :nixweiss:

vagabond6542

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2008, 05:22:43 PM »

I've done some stick welding and a smidge of MIG welding just for fun and splatter wasn't that much of a problem. I'm not sure what factors could be changed to reduce or eliminate it. Each one of those is a little bead of metal stuck pretty good.

Sumax shows it can be done. I guess the MoCo just doesn't want to do it. Too much cha-ching wasted in their minds. :nixweiss:

Could also be non qualified welders doing the work on the frame.
What do think?  :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2008, 05:37:44 PM »

Could also be non qualified welders doing the work on the frame.
What do think?  :nixweiss:

Would that be unqualified robots?  :nixweiss:

Maybe they use a local tech school to weld frames.

vagabond6542

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2008, 05:44:35 PM »

Would that be unqualified robots?  :nixweiss:

Maybe they use a local tech school to weld frames.

If it were robots doing the work, then the computer tech that programmed them need a sunrise wake-up call administered by 6 special attendants.
Don't yu tink? :huepfenjump3:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »

Poor workmanship...I spent over a week cleaning up a duece frame...a week!

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2008, 08:20:27 PM »

That's going to look great! You sure you & twolane aren't related? Can diamond cut be far behind??  ;) 8)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2008, 09:06:18 PM »

Wow, that is awesome. Doesn't even look like the same frame  :2vrolijk_21: I guess that kind of brings this thread back to ground zero. Though all of the entertainment makes the time pass a little quicker till you get all the pieces back.  :huepfenlol2: For what it's worth ....We're all waiting, or at least I am. Can't wait to see some chrome next to that pretty red frame..... :2vrolijk_21:.....Jon

I can't wait to ride it!

AJ

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2008, 06:31:51 AM »

I can't wait to ride it!

AJ

With trailer in tow of course. Man, that will be an expensive putt. I'll bring the Bushtec order form with.  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2008, 04:24:40 PM »

Wow, what a difference. :o Never would have paid much attention before seeing the comparison. For those that weld is that splatter, etc normal and the MoCo just doesn't clean them up, or just poor workmanship?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

A mig welder does splatter a lot. Ours does the same thing. BUT, I'm welding structural steel, not motorcycle frames. I think it's going to splatter no matter what you do. There's ways to clean it up..(obviously Sumax did), and ways to eliminate the splatter from sticking. There's different sprays that will stop it totally. Evidently MOCO didn't think it was an issue. If I were welding a frame on a 35,000 cycle, I'd think it was a big deal.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »

A mig welder does splatter a lot. Ours does the same thing. BUT, I'm welding structural steel, not motorcycle frames. I think it's going to splatter no matter what you do. There's ways to clean it up..(obviously Sumax did), and ways to eliminate the splatter from sticking. There's different sprays that will stop it totally. Evidently MOCO didn't think it was an issue. If I were welding a frame on a 35,000 cycle, I'd think it was a big deal.
I think the frames are probably welded together by robotics, but you would think w/technology these days they could eliminate a lot of that in advance or during the process. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2008, 06:35:29 PM »

I think the frames are probably welded together by robotics, but you would think w/technology these days they could eliminate a lot of that in advance or during the process. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

If they use robotic welders, they need to get some robots without Parkinsons. :P

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2008, 06:51:24 PM »

If they use robotic welders, they need to get some robots without Parkinsons. :P

Can't argue that. :(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2008, 07:26:05 PM »

Don't forget that the frames on the Electra Glides are the same as regular production (non-CVO) Electra Glides.  I haven't looked very closely, but I wonder if they do take more care with the welds and weld splatter on a bike with a color-cordinated frame such as the SE Road King, SE Dyna, or SE Softail Springer? :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »

Don't forget that the frames on the Electra Glides are the same as regular production (non-CVO) Electra Glides.  I haven't looked very closely, but I wonder if they do take more care with the welds and weld splatter on a bike with a color-cordinated frame such as the SE Road King, SE Dyna, or SE Softail Springer? :nixweiss:

I wouldn't think the color is known at the time the frame is being built. I would expect the quality to be consistent across all lines. They don't give a chit regardless what frame they're building.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.