Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: It's ALIVE  (Read 31462 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: It's ALIVE
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008, 06:30:55 AM »

If the weather allows it the bike will be on the dyno tomorrow afternoon.  Weather is iffy though. 

You have a nice  :trailer:, lets git'r done
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2008, 06:35:07 AM »

Oh by the way, besides looking good, you need a better picture.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

hogasm

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2008, 09:42:07 AM »

Very sweet Don :2vrolijk_21:

I  know you are glad it is coming to an end.

Keep me in mind if you want to get rid of those push rods :coolblue:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »

You have a nice  :trailer:, lets git'r done

Don-

Do you have the trailer where you can't get it out if the roads are bad?

Bob

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2008, 11:29:35 AM »

Good deal, Two!  I can almost see the grin on your face from the right coast 'cause I know just how exciting it is to fire one up after the winter 'build'.  :huepfenlol2: yeehaw!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »

Don-

Do you have the trailer where you can't get it out if the roads are bad?

Bob

Bob, that would be almost more trouble than it was worth.  The trailer is in the shop while the bike is here at the house.  So it's a mile to the shop in lieu of two miles to the dyno guy.  The loading and unloading time seems a bit extreme for such a short trip ::) .

So far it's only chilly outside.  High 20s.  But nothing new falling so still clear roads.  Trees have a thick coat of ice all over them.  It looks like another bad ice storm had hit.  But the roads were always clean this time.  Weird storm.  Just a few degrees cooler while it was all falling and it'd be a terrible mess.  As is not a thing on the roads.  So if nothing else comes down between now and 1:00 I'll go dyno-ing.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2008, 11:38:51 AM »

Good deal, Two!  I can almost see the grin on your face from the right coast 'cause I know just how exciting it is to fire one up after the winter 'build'.  :huepfenlol2: yeehaw!  :drink: spyder

Thank you Spyder.  It's got a couple more heat cycles this morning with some good RPM variation in the tail end of the 4th and the 5th cycle.  It still sounds just so good sitting here in the garage.  Really hope no more rain or sleet fall fall yet this morning.  Very much looking forward to getting it buttoned up with the dyno tune.  A bad case of landing fixation is not going to get me out on roads that should be avoided.  But I certainly would like to get it done.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »

Oh by the way, besides looking good, you need a better picture.

Yeah, I know Duane.  Tried to make that one a tiny bit blurry on purpose.  Thought it would denote speed or movement or something.  Instead it's just a crappy picture :huepfenlol2: .

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2008, 12:17:07 PM »

Don I have been following your build and all its issues as somewhat of a lurker. Can't reply to all I read but I'm happy the ol' cherry is back up and running. Sounds like a winner and looks great as well.We will see how she runs at York. We also have a sheet of ice all over the damn place as well. Be good Bro,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2008, 12:33:48 PM »

your braver then me doing open heart surgery on your baby. good to see it all back together
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »

Don I have been following your build and all its issues as somewhat of a lurker. Can't reply to all I read but I'm happy the ol' cherry is back up and running. Sounds like a winner and looks great as well.We will see how she runs at York. We also have a sheet of ice all over the damn place as well. Be good Bro,Q

Thanks John.  Appreciate the good thoughts.  Am even trying to make time to make the Georgia run next month just to have an excuse to stretch it out a bit.  It is nice to have it buttoned up. 

I still can't seem to ever make my mind up on wheels though.  Go back to the pictures of yours often and envy your being able to pull the trigger there.  That is a choice that has been difficult for me.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2008, 01:32:01 PM »

your braver then me doing open heart surgery on your baby. good to see it all back together

It would've been better if it'd just been a weekend project.  Like it should have been.  Dragging it out was a nuisance.  Especially for just a top end overhaul they're really not bad to work on though Neal. 

Had to cut off, cut up or grind down a few allen wrenches to make new tools for the new rocker boxes.  But that's also just part of the task.  Got a baggie of "specialty" (read: home made) tools that match the bike.  Aside from those cut up allen tools it's likely the only thing a guy might not commonly have in his tool box that would be necessary to take the top end off and back on would be a ring compressor.

Is nice to see/hear/feel it all back together.  Hopefully the weather stays clean for another couple of hours so I can get to Golden's and back.  If so will have a dyno visit to share this evening.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2008, 03:02:48 PM »

I still can't seem to ever make my mind up on wheels though.  Go back to the pictures of yours often and envy your being able to pull the trigger there.  That is a choice that has been difficult for me.
Not to mention:  even ROTORS.  ::)  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »

Hopefully the weather stays clean for another couple of hours so I can get to Golden's and back.  If so will have a dyno visit to share this evening.

Good luck and keep us informed!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »

Good luck and keep us informed!

:2vrolijk_21:

Made it.  Was a good day.  High 20s outdoors.  1/2" of ice all over the trees and ground.  Dark gray skies.  Whole scene looked winter gothic.  Roads were clear though.  Perfectly clear.  Off to the dyno it went.

John's driveway was patchy ice.  But nothing terrible.  Dyno trailer was indoors in its winder habitat behind the motor home.  Nice and comfy 60 degrees for tuning.

Red bike did better than I expected.  Well enough, in fact, that now I've got to put a clutch in it.  It's slipping.   :oops:

Going in knew this might potentially be an issue.  Finally talked myself out of just replacing the clutch while the top end was torn off and waiting to see if it would actually be necessary.

It is.

Even with the slipping clutch got a nice tune done.  Bike is very very rideable now.  Engine sounds good and feels great.  Took it out for 20-25 miles after leaving the dyno and before the freezing rain chased me back to the house.  It is going to be a fun ride for sure.

Obviously not going to pre-ordain perfection in hot weather.  Neither John nor I saw anything that would suggest later issues though.  If there are he'll tweak it of course.  But I feel good that it will be ok.

When starting this project I was expecting final numbers in the mid one-teens to perhaps the very low one-twenties.  Honestly thought that would be the extent of what this build would produce as I'd made a couple choices with low end rather than high end in mind.  I don't ride at high RPM.  I do use and enjoy torque at the low end.  So that was the goal.

Having planned that way, and with John Golden's artistry and skill dialing it all in, it seems that a bit of both was achieved.  Before the clutch really started slipping one run produced an HP # as high as 128.1.  Best torque number was 119.8. 

It hits 100 foot pounds of torque by 2600-2650 RPM.  Is at 85 foot pounds sometime before 2500 (that's the lowest RPM readout on the chart).  Climbs to about 105 before 3000.  A few RPMs later is where the clutch starts giving way after it got hot.  Runs varied more and more as the clutch got hotter.

The top end numbers are certainly pleasing.  Seeing 128 and 119 with the clutch's grip dancing suggests that when fully dialed in and fully broke in something in the 130 and 125 range is at least possible.  I could care less about the top end though.

By 4500 RPM I'm already seeing 112 foot pounds of torque.  The entire cruising and pass-a-truck RPM range of 2600-4000 is above 100 foot pounds and climbing.  It is going to be fun to ride it again.

I'll say it again.  It is going to be a fun ride again.

No more detuned late arriving power.  Just a nice quick snap and a nice sharp pull right where you want it and when you want it.  This is going to be great with the trailer behind it.  The AFR line, as John's seemingly always are, was beautiful. 

John and Sandy leave for Daytona tomorrow.  I'll get a clutch replaced sometime in the next couple weeks.  John has already asked to tweak it again after that's done.  It's not that it really needs it.  The tune would be perfectly rideable as it is now.  I'd never worry about it or give it a second thought of any kind.  He's just that good of a guy and that interested in what he does. 

So as spring gets a little closer he'll spin it one more time.  We'll see a run then without the dancing dips of a girly clutch after it has been replaced by a big strong boy clutch.  Until then, I'm still quite pleased with the result.  The red bike has a smile on its face once more.  And so do I.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.