Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: It was a WILD weekend on the Dragon  (Read 5323 times)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
Re: It was a WILD weekend on the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 10:12:54 PM »

I've always heard if you are a first timer it better to ride the Dragon on a weekday.  My wife and I had planned  to hit it on a Wed. or Thurs. but she got suffered a kidney infection in Front Royal and she couldn't ride for 2 days.  Maybe this year!

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 10:21:23 PM »

I've always heard if you are a first timer it better to ride the Dragon on a weekday.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 07:43:25 AM »

I have had the 00 dresser there once and the 03 dresser there twice.
A very interesting place.
Fortunately for me and "Tater" the dressers start grinding kickstands and floorboards long before they get out of shape!

And as DDL said the weekday is best. Even for the most experienced rider!
The weekends are for the ones that have no fear, no bills and no responsibility.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 12:12:28 PM »

Since at least some of the membership is close to or has done The Dragon do we have any personal stories of incidents either witnessed or been part of?  Not only might it be interesting and informative could be instructive for those of us that haven't been there yet.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 12:31:05 PM »

My thoughts on the Dragon revolve around the traffic.  I think that may be what begs to make it different than many other mountain passes.  It brings out the competitiveness in you as other bike traffic is in and around you and it also makes it all the more dangerous as you are meeting traffic that's riding at all different levels whether going up or coming down.  No room for error on either your or their parts.  The challenge of 'survival' !!!  Too bad they can't close it off and/or run it just one way....up or down.  Then, you could really have some heart-stopping fun! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 12:45:32 PM »

These guys  [smiley=policeman.gif]  [smiley=policeman.gif]  [smiley=policeman.gif]  [smiley=policeman.gif]  [smiley=policeman.gif]  [smiley=policeman.gif]  are gonna be all over us [smiley=anxious.gif] [smiley=army.gif] [smiley=bandana.gif] [smiley=beatnik.gif] [smiley=biker.gif] [smiley=disguise.gif] [smiley=glasses2.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 04:23:37 PM »

These guys

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 06:54:49 PM »

These guys
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 07:03:02 PM by BLM777 »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 07:06:40 PM »

These guys
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 09:36:23 PM »

These guys

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 09:43:47 PM »

In past years the only time police came to Deals Gap was if there was a bad accident.

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 02:43:55 AM »

Have been to the Dragon 10 to 12 times and have yet to see it patroled by the police.  I have seen a few acidents there with police and emergency present.  On one trip we came around a corner and aparently an 18 wheeler was trying to negotiate a sharp curve (why he took 129 in an 18 wheeler I dont know) and because of his length crossed over the yellow line as a car was comming in the oposite direction - yep the car ended up under the 18 wheeler.  When we got there they we trying to get the people out.  One other time we got there just as a rider on a sport bike had gone over the side.  He must have flow better than 50 feet in the air considering were he landed.  A nurse was a corider on a bike that stopped just after us and she assistied him until the emergency folks got there.  The interesting thing was I walked the area where he went off and there we no skid marks on the pavement only the dirt sholder.  It apears he fixated straight ahead and not through the curve and went right where he was looking and almost never hit the brakes.  Evidently it happens a lot.

We ride a lot in the mountians and as said many time at the Dragon.  For what its worth the thing I believe are important are:
1)  Ride your own ride and dont be intimidated by others (those with you or otherwise)
2)  Keep your reves up especially on these v-twins, dont let the bike lug down shift this will allow you to pull the bike thrugh the turns.
3)  Look through the turn, not straight ahead, not directlly in front of the bike keep your eyes several second ahead where possible.  If your looking straight ahead thats were the bike is going to go (note example above), if your looking directly in front of the bike you will not be able to properly set up the curve and if there are any surprises (rocks, gravel, critter, etc.) you will not have time to evade.
4)  Use as much of the lane as possible (left to right) to set up your curve with the least amount of arc possible and aim for exit point where you can see where the road goes after the curve (once you see this point is also the time that you accelerate the bike).  Sometimes this happens very quickly especially at the dragon because as you come out of one curve you are immediatly setting up for the next.

Sorry for the long post.  Hopes this helps.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 08:09:41 AM »

Good post, Johnny! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 12:34:57 PM »

I live within a mornings ride of the Dragon , it is well worth the ride up.
I caught it last summer on an intermittently rainy saturday, traffic wasn't too bad , but I did have a few OHMYGOD moments when an 18 wheeler or RV would be taking thier half out of the middle or worse of a hairpin.

CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Daniii

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 10:02:20 AM »

Having been injured on the Dragon, I can add my tale.
  I have an '03 V-Rod, set up as much for touring as possible.  We towed to the Topoco Lodge (at the S Entrance), and decied to take a spin the night we arrived (after driving from Dallas! - bad decision #1). We went most of the way N, then turned around.  At mile 2, near the top but still in Tn, we were behind a very slow Mini-van.  As I was having to clutch to keep from stalling, I decided to pass.  (Bad decision #2).  Looking up the hill to watch out for crotchies coming down, I missed a turn right in front of us, and we went into the ditch at about 20mph.  
  Jenny was tossed over my shoulder, landing on her back. I stayed on the bike.   After getting it off Jenny, whose leg was slightly pinned under the (fortunately soft) leather bag,  she was complaning of chest pains, and was advised by the immediately helpful half dozen or so witnesses, including at least one EMT, not to move.  
 I did not mention the pain in my wrist, or complain about the apparent cut in my chin (windshield)  (first good decision).   An ambulance arrived 1/2 hour later, and took Jenny to Blount Cty Hospital. I arranged to get my trailer pulled from the lodge, loaded the bike (it started, wasn't leaking any fluids, but the lower left side was messed up), and went back to the Tapoco.  The nice folks there let me check out without charging me, and after the gift of a Darvoset from a fellow rider (HD Bagger - the wrist was becoming a problem) I towed the broken bike, on the trailer, back over the Dragon (10pm by now) to the Hospital to retrieve the wife, who had no ID with her.   This is a story in itself, driving the dragon one handed, at night, on drugs.
  She was out by 11:30 (This was a Sunday night).  They didn't get around to me till 2:00AM, and at 3:30 AM determined my wrist was broken (no kidding!). We checked out at about 4AM, with my wrist in a splint, and my chin superglued together.  We continued our 3000 mile trip (Business and pleasure). But when we got home, I went into surgery the next day where they rebroke it, added metal and screws.
  2 years later, we are both still riding the bike, but no passing trucks on winding roads.      
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 10:04:10 AM by Daniii »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 22 queries.