Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: It was a WILD weekend on the Dragon  (Read 5308 times)

Daniii

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: It was a WILD weekend on the Dragon
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 10:02:20 AM »

Having been injured on the Dragon, I can add my tale.
  I have an '03 V-Rod, set up as much for touring as possible.  We towed to the Topoco Lodge (at the S Entrance), and decied to take a spin the night we arrived (after driving from Dallas! - bad decision #1). We went most of the way N, then turned around.  At mile 2, near the top but still in Tn, we were behind a very slow Mini-van.  As I was having to clutch to keep from stalling, I decided to pass.  (Bad decision #2).  Looking up the hill to watch out for crotchies coming down, I missed a turn right in front of us, and we went into the ditch at about 20mph.  
  Jenny was tossed over my shoulder, landing on her back. I stayed on the bike.   After getting it off Jenny, whose leg was slightly pinned under the (fortunately soft) leather bag,  she was complaning of chest pains, and was advised by the immediately helpful half dozen or so witnesses, including at least one EMT, not to move.  
 I did not mention the pain in my wrist, or complain about the apparent cut in my chin (windshield)  (first good decision).   An ambulance arrived 1/2 hour later, and took Jenny to Blount Cty Hospital. I arranged to get my trailer pulled from the lodge, loaded the bike (it started, wasn't leaking any fluids, but the lower left side was messed up), and went back to the Tapoco.  The nice folks there let me check out without charging me, and after the gift of a Darvoset from a fellow rider (HD Bagger - the wrist was becoming a problem) I towed the broken bike, on the trailer, back over the Dragon (10pm by now) to the Hospital to retrieve the wife, who had no ID with her.   This is a story in itself, driving the dragon one handed, at night, on drugs.
  She was out by 11:30 (This was a Sunday night).  They didn't get around to me till 2:00AM, and at 3:30 AM determined my wrist was broken (no kidding!). We checked out at about 4AM, with my wrist in a splint, and my chin superglued together.  We continued our 3000 mile trip (Business and pleasure). But when we got home, I went into surgery the next day where they rebroke it, added metal and screws.
  2 years later, we are both still riding the bike, but no passing trucks on winding roads.      
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 10:04:10 AM by Daniii »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.