Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mikuni hsr42 carb  (Read 7425 times)

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
mikuni hsr42 carb
« on: January 15, 2004, 09:59:48 PM »

I am seriously thinking of changing from the stock cv carb to the mikuni 42. They get great reviews, but I would like to hear if anyone on the forum has had experience with one.....?

fxr4

• ride it like you stole it
Re: mikuni hsr42 carb
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 01:21:11 AM »

I am pleased with mine. Don't know what it will do with a stock bike as mine was added along with other engine mods.  I never ever have to use the enricher. With my engine mods I get 40 mpg.  Two things I don't like is ,it sticks out further than stock and takes some getting used to (My leg touches air cleaner cover) and it is a little noisy. I don  't know how to describe the noise. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I've talked with others and they said theirs did the same thing. No major noise just a different sound. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 08:09:11 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, but could you tell me approx how much further it sticks out? My leg already touches the air cleaner with the stock carb.

fxr4

• ride it like you stole it
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 10:10:08 PM »

I'm 5'11" tall and my foot slips off of the highway peg as my foot no longer rests on the center of the peg. Half of the sole of my boot hung off the peg. I made a spacer for the peg and it helped some. If I'm not mistaken in a previous chat we had you mentioned you had forward controls. If so I don't know how or if it will affect you. I'm presently looking for a solution to my issue. It only bothers or aggravates me on long trips.(200 miles or more) That is the only big gripe I have. The air filter is the thinner one so changing this wasn't an option. Like I said it's not that bad when you get used to it but if I could find a longer peg or mounting system that moved peg out further I'd give it a try.

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 11:24:33 AM »

I am seriously thinking of changing from the stock cv carb to the mikuni 42. They get great reviews, but I would like to hear if anyone on the forum has had experience with one.....?

I have the Mikuni on my bike, with Drag Specialties forward controls.  Extremely happy with the carb.  Of course, I also upgraded the cam, ignition, air box, pipes, etc.  This 80cc EVO motor performs magnificently.  The carb was a significant part of the performance upgrade.  However, I did the carb and cam at the same time, and I wouldn't have done one without the other.  The other engine mods came later at different times.

I originally had some confort issues with the foward controls, but not anymore since I changed my forward pegs to floorboards, which, due to their design, stick out quite a bit as compared to foward pegs.  Real happy with those.  With my chaps acting as a bit of a cushion, I have no discomfort issues at all.

Good luck.  I think you will notice a difference with the Mikuni.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 11:52:31 AM »

Hatchet if you are looking for preformance go for the 44mm Screaming Eagle CV it is a better all around carb!! It can be a little tougher to dial in though! [smiley=laugh.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 01:11:59 PM »

I have a rejetted CV and the SE cleaner on my CVO and a mikuni HSR 42 on my FXDX . bith have SE slip-ons. The Mik gets better mileage ( 4-7 mpg ) , has much better response , and power.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 01:19:17 PM by nidan »
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

richfxr2

• Let's ride
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 12:34:48 PM »

I replaced the carb with the Mikuni 42, added a cam and new iginition.  While you are doing this you may as well get as many chrome parts in as possible.  Installed the Kuryakin forward controls as well and at 6'1" my right knee, at times, hits the stock air filter cover but it is not annoying.  As earlier stated the EVO responds well to these mods.  One item I have had to redo, is removing the 3/4 banjo bolts that hold the air cover plate on, replace all gaskets and locktight in the 3/4 bolts as I experienced them lossening up due to vibration.  Good luck
Rich

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.