Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 110 vibration?  (Read 5778 times)

yoderjl

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
110 vibration?
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »

I have noticed that about 3500 rpm's and up my bike seems to vibrate more than my buddies 07 night train with the 96 ci motor. Does anybody else with a 07 or 08 springer think this too? I would think that with the balanced engine it would'nt but maybe it is because of the extra ci's. Still runs good though.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
Re: 110 vibration?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:47:34 AM »

Does the night train have the B motor? My buddy has the 96 Ultra which doesn't have the balanced motor and it vibrates more at idle but is ok at cruise.In general,Harley's vibrate

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 06:49:53 AM »

That is ...or was exactly the same feeling I got when I rode my CVO springer with a totally chocked engine with the standard pipes, filter and ECM. It was after I released all its potential with the ThunderMax w Autotune, having changed the pipes and filter, that I not only got better torque and power figures below 4 K, but what is better, over 4 K it pulls and pulls in a seemingless power surge that either has made thanks to the TMax a better balanced engine or the thrust feel makes you forget the vibration.... :orange: :orange: whatever it is, it makes all the difference in the World.

I also have a Dyna FXDC 07, and that bike is much smoother thanks to the rubber mounts, and before doing the mod on the CVO I was convinced it was faster and pulled away stronger. Now I can assure you that the Dyna might be doing fine, but now the power of the bigger CVO is obviously present and unleashed. :2vrolijk_21:

Don't wait any longer and do the apropriate mods to your Springer....
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 07:29:11 AM »

I have noticed that about 3500 rpm's and up my bike seems to vibrate more than my buddies 07 night train with the 96 ci motor. Does anybody else with a 07 or 08 springer think this too? I would think that with the balanced engine it would'nt but maybe it is because of the extra ci's. Still runs good though.

I noticed mine was vidy above 3k at first, changed the pipes to a VH BR 2 into 1 and put the new Super Race tuner in richined it up a little and it feels better. But you may want to take a quick look at your motor mount bolts to see if there is any powder residue around them, front bottom long bolt and the top motor mount under the fuel tank and on both cylinder heads. I wouldnt put a wrench on them, unless you have a service manual with correct torque specs. Would be best to take it to a dealer and have them check it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 09:25:45 AM »

A 45 degree V twin is going to shake and vibrate, even with a balance shaft.  Just as with the rubber mount engines, there will be certain engine speeds where the balancers or rubber mounts are more effective, and speeds where they are less effective.  The trick is to design the balancers or the mounts for maximum damping at the most common riding speeds.

Assuming you aren't talking about the normal amount of vibration, there are several possibilities that could make one worse than another.  A common problem is uneven combustion pressures between the two cylinders, caused by the "close enough for government work" map from the factory.  A really good tune that maps each cylinder separately will go a long way toward making the bike smoother.  Another factor is the exhaust system.  Check for proper clearances, no binding, all clamps and mounting bolts properly tightened, etc.  A good idea would be to loosen everything and then retighten, starting at the heads and moving toward the rear.  Be aware that some aftermarket systems can worsen the vibration, while some seem to improve it.

If your vibration starts getting worse, have your crankshaft checked for runout.  I don't want to cause you undue stress or alarm, but some have in fact had severe vibrations from crank runout.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 01:04:17 PM »

Yep, Harleys vibrate. That's what they do! There's vibration, and then there's annoying or problem vibrations when something's wrong. If something's wrong, find it and fix it. If nothing's wrong, a little vibration is part of the ride. Rubbermounts look like they're vibrating a lot at idle, more so than a B motor which is solid mounted. But at speed the rubbermounts absorb that vibration so much better than a counterbalanced HD V-twin. But if you want no vibration on a motorcycle (I don't know why anyone would) get a Jap bike with a crankshaft. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

vagabond6542

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »

A 45 degree V twin is going to shake and vibrate, even with a balance shaft.  Just as with the rubber mount engines, there will be certain engine speeds where the balancers or rubber mounts are more effective, and speeds where they are less effective.  The trick is to design the balancers or the mounts for maximum damping at the most common riding speeds.

Assuming you aren't talking about the normal amount of vibration, there are several possibilities that could make one worse than another.  A common problem is uneven combustion pressures between the two cylinders, caused by the "close enough for government work" map from the factory.  A really good tune that maps each cylinder separately will go a long way toward making the bike smoother.  Another factor is the exhaust system.  Check for proper clearances, no binding, all clamps and mounting bolts properly tightened, etc.  A good idea would be to loosen everything and then re tighten, starting at the heads and moving toward the rear.  Be aware that some aftermarket systems can worsen the vibration, while some seem to improve it.

If your vibration starts getting worse, have your crankshaft checked for runout.  I don't want to cause you undue stress or alarm, but some have in fact had severe vibrations from crank runout.Jerry

I had such a case. The engine was replaced because of a "way out" crank runout. :(
Talk to Hoist about what is needed to replace the crank shaft, if you want to use your "dollar" on the motor. 8)

There are many ways to "power balance" a V Twin so that it will run smooth. But you will have to become meticulous about it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:17:13 PM by vagabond6542 »

yoderjl

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 01:57:39 PM »

well i have already got exhaust and a powercommander on it already. the vibration is not real bad but it is worse than the 96b engine on his night train. I will have the dealer check it at my first service. And i am getting it tuned at the same time. It is probably ok.

Lamo

• 2007 Springer Softail CVO

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 02:29:21 AM »

Hey how did you go with you vibration problems? My 2007 springer softail cvo has the exact same problem

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 12:02:46 AM »

And my 2008 FXSTSSE2 CVO Springer in Perth WA

I've just gotten used to the vibes I think , had it 18months+ now. Blurry mirrors at 110 Km/H

I have tried several different tunes in the ECM , SERT and TTS , and the TTS cals make it run smoother for sure

My 2013 CVO Breakout is noticeably "smoother" all thru' the revs , but is way less " grunty "
No illegitimi carborundum

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.