Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: OK all you V Rod experts, what do you see here  (Read 17706 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
OK all you V Rod experts, what do you see here
« on: March 25, 2008, 05:31:44 PM »

I looked at this bike today. Besides the obvious exhaust difference, do you see anything else?

2006 SE V-Rod, 2400+ miles. Pipes, SERT and for some reason they changed the air filter when dealer did the pipes and tuner.

(added) Pipes are "Bub's".

Was new in Jan 06, so it is out of basic and the original owner never got an extended.

There was a good size puddle of oil under the bike, but it was clean and could be from the knucklehead that did the service.
It is on consignment at a dealer, has had a 1000 and 5000 service done by the same dealer.

Any thing I should look for?
Any other hints?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:11:34 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
Re: OK all you V Rod experts, what do you see here
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:32:05 PM »

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 05:33:52 PM »

That V-Rod in the background is an 05, 4400+ miles and it is obvious it was laid down on the right side, unless you can scrape the full length of the exhaust pipe (staggered duals) on a turn  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:37:54 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »

Besides the oil leak/drip, this was the only problem I saw on my brief visit.

Looks like the cover is just glued on.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 05:51:03 PM »

And I thought there was only 1 color scheme for each shade.

This bike has charcoal fender and a a two tone tank, as is Ken's new bike. But during my search I have also found all red.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:53:16 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:18:10 AM »

Duane...the bike looks totally stock to my eye, other than the pipes, and I'd bet they are LOUD, like the RH staggered pipes.  They changed the filter to either an SE filter (paper POS) or K&N...flows more air.  Yes, that cover is glued on...no biggie to fix that.

To my knowledge, NO SE 06 had solid colors, so I don't know what you've seen, but it ain't stock if its all one color.

The dealer did the 5K service with only 2400 miles on the bike?  If they did, wouldn't surprise me if they got oil all over the bottom of the radiator support bracket from the filter change and didn't clean it off.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 06:10:34 AM »

looks totally stock to my eye, other than the pipes, and I'd bet they are LOUD, like the RH staggered pipes. 

Terry,
The pipes are "Bub's"

Obviously I didn't get to listen to it, it is on the 2nd floor of the dealer. I am still waiting to see if they any of the stock parts available, including the SERT dongle. Not that it is that big of a deal but I am letting the seller know that it will be a negotiating item if the original parts are not available. They were trying to make it a selling point, so why not?

They changed the filter to either an SE filter (paper POS) or K&N...flows more air.

The air filter was an HD part number. So I am sure it is no better then the Stage 1 kit filter that I took off of my bike that had holes in it!

To my knowledge, NO SE 06 had solid colors, so I don't know what you've seen, but it ain't stock if its all one color.

That what I thought, scarlet red and charcoal.

But
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130207339053&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123
&
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370028876762&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123
&
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120236358548&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123

The dealer did the 5K service with only 2400 miles on the bike?  If they did, wouldn't surprise me if they got oil all over the bottom of the radiator support bracket from the filter change and didn't clean it off.

The dealer does a service on any bike taken in and the bike is a little over two years old. So if you believe in the concept of a vehicle needs the oil changed whether it is run a lot or not then it is to be be expected, at least once a year.

The frame had oil on it, I didn't buy this yet, so it is only a question know. But the oil on the frame is where it would be if the seal was leaking between the transmission and inner primary if it was an air cooled v-twin.

Thanks for stopping in and looking at the pictures.
I had a little fun at your expense in the inspirational photo section, did you see it yet?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:15:29 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:24:49 AM »

Mi amigo Duanne....it looks fine except for the radiator issue (not a big deal)......how much he is asking? I had a '05 (the same color that is in the background) and now I have a '07 and let me tell you...the VROD SE are awesome....if you can get a good deal.......get it!!

dereck

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHXSE2.ORG

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: sold FLHRSE3 Black Ice
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »

(added) Pipes are "Bub's".

Duane,
I would ask to see the dyno chart with this set up.  I'm more interested in the air/fuel ratio across the rpm band than the hp & torque #s.  Changing a VROD from a 2-into-1 system to a 2-2 system makes them a lot lounder but can really drop the performance unless properly tuned.

If the set-up was done at a dealership, they should have the chart on file.

Good Luck!
dereck

I had a VROD before I bought my CVO and I always keep my eye open for an '06 SE VROD.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »

Duane...all those e-bay bikes are Orange and Black...the color scheme is correct on those models.  The Scarlet/Charcoal had the reverse paint configuration, as does the Yellow, if I'm not mistaken (I've only seen Craig's yellow, and honestly can't remember, but I think it's yellow and charcoal).

The oil fill hole is located on the lower left front of the engine, so perhaps the service guy was just sloppy.  I've not heard about any leaks on a Vrod in that area, or any other for that matter.  Oil level on a V must be checked with the bike in a vertical position, and NOT on the sidestand.  They hold 4.5 quarts with a filter change.  Like the A/C motors, it is messy to change the filter, and oil can get all over everything, so I'd have them wash that entire area thoroughly and I'll bet the oil is from a sloppy oil change/refill.

If those are BUBS pipes, I'd want a listen, and also want to see a Dyno pull.  As I said, the RH equivalents were LOUD...I'm talking about setting off car alarms and chit when you ride by.  They also sound the most "Harley like" at idle, though after 4K RPM no V is ever going to sound like an air head.

I would want a K&N filter in the air box, and also check the air box to see if the top has been modified or removed completely.  The SE 1250 motors have a "stumble" from 3-4K RPM...feels like the motor is surging, and it is.  It can be tuned out, but if a canned map is just dumped in, that does not generally get rid of the stumble.  Above 4k, it's fine, but around town cruising is 3-4K, so I'd want to have that drivability issue resolved if it was my bike.  It's an A/F issue, and not a flaw in the engine.

I can see about $1200 worth of stuff it needs to have on it, depending on how you're going to use the bike, not including new exhaust if you don't like those.  Without a windshield (like the Windvest) they are a handful to ride because of the windblast, even with a full face helmet on, so that is a must have, IMO.

I did not have Ken's V tuned for absolute maximum numbers...I had it tuned for drivability and fuel economy in "normal" riding situations.  It will still go waaaaaaaaaaay the f faster than a person needs to go.  Depends on what you want the bike to do.  These bikes will easily reach 100mph in 3rd gear, and there's two more left, and that 100mph is in a very short distance.

TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 07:16:06 PM »

ask to see the dyno chart with this set up. 

The chart is supposed to be available, along with the map they downloaded.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 08:10:55 PM »

all those e-bay bikes are Orange and Black...the color scheme is correct on those models. 

So they are, I went back and looked at the description better. But the first two look more red then orange. And the red one I took pictures of looked more orange then red when I looked at them on the computer, go figure.

The oil fill hole is located on the lower left front of the engine, so perhaps the service guy was just sloppy.  I've not heard about any leaks on a Vrod in that area, or any other for that matter.  Oil level on a V must be checked with the bike in a vertical position, and NOT on the sidestand.

My guess now is they were sloppy and the oil is running down the frame from the front to the low spot in the rear.

If those are BUBS pipes, I'd want a listen, and also want to see a Dyno pull.  As I said, the RH equivalents were LOUD...I'm talking about setting off car alarms and chit when you ride by.  They also sound the most "Harley like" at idle, though after 4K RPM no V is ever going to sound like an air head.

On the a/c bikes I don't care for the 2->1, but staggered or straight duals just don't look right on the V.
Kind of like a jap bike trying to look like a harley.

I can see about $1200 worth of stuff it needs to have on it, depending on how you're going to use the bike, not including new exhaust if you don't like those.  Without a windshield (like the Windvest) they are a handful to ride because of the windblast, even with a full face helmet on, so that is a must have, IMO.

Pipes and a shield would probably be the minimun, but it is a CVO SE, so it already has everything ... what else could it need  :pepper:

I did not have Ken's V tuned for absolute maximum numbers...I had it tuned for drivability and fuel economy in "normal" riding situations. 

That would be my goal  :2vrolijk_21:

MV 2013

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 09:09:22 PM »

So they are, I went back and looked at the description better. But the first two look more red then orange. And the red one I took pictures of looked more orange then red when I looked at them on the computer, go figure.

My guess now is they were sloppy and the oil is running down the frame from the front to the low spot in the rear.

On the a/c bikes I don't care for the 2->1, but staggered or straight duals just don't look right on the V.
Kind of like a jap bike trying to look like a harley.

Pipes and a shield would probably be the minimun, but it is a CVO SE, so it already has everything ... what else could it need  :pepper:

That would be my goal  :2vrolijk_21:

Duane....honestly, the stock seat is pretty good for one up riding, but if the wifey ever get on, you'll be changing the seat.  Also, there is NO storage, so a rack is nice for a round bag of some sort.  If you get the fender base plate, backrest, and rack, I've got the perfect bag at a cheap price... ;)  Also, there is really not a lot of chrome pieces to be added...the regulator or cover.  If you want crash bars, they are available, but look kinda funky on the bike, IMO.  There are cylinder base covers...Special Ed has them on his bike and they look nice.  Other than those things, the 06 models really do have almost everything already on them, unless you just have to have chrome brake calipers, but the Brembo's that come on it were always fine with me...they will STOP the bike.

The Scarlet color has an orange tint to it, depending on the light, but it's more red than orange overall.

TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 11:44:51 AM »

the stock seat is pretty good for one up riding, but if the wifey ever get on, you'll be changing the seat. 

Don't think that will be an issue with this one.

there is NO storage, so a rack is nice for a round bag of some sort.  If you get the fender base plate, backrest, and rack, I've got the perfect bag at a cheap price... ;) 

I was thinking just using a backpack for rides to work, don't really know how comfortable that will be though.

Also, there is really not a lot of chrome pieces to be added...the regulator or cover.

Probably

If you want crash bars, they are available, but look kinda funky on the bike, IMO. 

No way Jose, that's got to look like chit  :o

but the Brembo's that come on it were always fine with me...they will STOP the bike.

Just sitting on the bike the brakes feel better, zero "slop"

The Scarlet color has an orange tint to it, depending on the light, but it's more red than orange overall.

Yes, I have noticed that. And after going back and looking at the pictures the red looks orange - the orange looks red - jsut a bit confusing with changing light conditions

MV 2013

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »

Duane the only thing I dont see on that V Rod is you. Now go4it.  :cherry:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 11:07:39 PM »

Duane the only thing I dont see on that V Rod is you. Now go4it.  :cherry:

You know Dave, now that you made a post here, I just remembered you mentioning a V somewhere down by you, what was that?

MV 2013

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 05:12:49 AM »

You know Dave, now that you made a post here, I just remembered you mentioning a V somewhere down by you, what was that?

Are you ready to buy.  :nixweiss: It a 2006 SE scarlet/charcoal with V&H Powershots. The mileage is somewhere around 1,000 - 1,200.. and he wants $21- 20k. 
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

ESTYLE

• HOLD DEEZ!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 10:05:16 PM »

ILL TAKE 19,000..NEED to sell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know i dont have alot of posts but dave can vouch for my credibility, also dave has detailed knowledge about my bike. Someone take it off my hands, new baby on way!

Eric
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:09:06 PM by ESTYLE »
Are you part of the problem or the solution?

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 05:12:59 AM »

There you go Duane, no go for it. It all checks out. He has eveything that came with the bike.
Call me if you have questions. You can keep it in my stable and when you or Scot come down, you will have a extra bike to ride.  ;D

Dave 
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 05:15:59 AM »

ILL TAKE 19,000..NEED to sell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know i dont have alot of posts but dave can vouch for my credibility, also dave has detailed knowledge about my bike. Someone take it off my hands, new baby on way!

Eric

:o  no wonder you haven't bee n riding, its more fun to play house.  :huepfenlol2:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »

Hey Duane, what did you decide to do?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Just saw this thread and Terry pretty much covered everything.  I added the baseplate, sissybar, and backrest.  I decided to go with black because I thought it matched the paint better on the orange/black 05 model that I have and it doesn't stick out.  I agree that crash bar just doesn't work on the Vrod.  I also think it looks better with the turn signals relocated.  But in addition to looks, I had an issue with the nuts vibrating loose on the way from Myrtle Beach the day I bought it.  The only other thing I'd recommend you look at very closely is the weld from the bottom right frame to the foot brake.  Hogasm told me there was one other place that was notorious for a bad weld but I can't remember where it was.  Maybe under the seat or around the gas tank.  You might want to PM him for details.

I love the red.  I actually wanted red to begin with but then I saw the Black and Orange in person at Suck Bang and Blow in Fall 2005.

Go for it!  You won't be disappointed! 
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 09:53:38 AM »

I love the red.  I actually wanted red to begin with but then I saw the Black and Orange in person at Suck Bang and Blow in Fall 2005.

I like the red too. And if I get red I think the 1st order will be for a new front fender, have it painted to red.

MV 2013

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 04:34:06 PM »

I like the red too. And if I get red I think the 1st order will be for a new front fender, have it painted to red.

Hello mi amigo Duane...did you get it? VROD is fun to ride...totally different than the touring....having owned the 05 & current '07 i onlcy can say that it's fun  :2vrolijk_21:

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 09:12:22 PM »

Not if you get an 05'. ;)

Either way it's a great ride, can't go wrong, but Red is fastest.... :)
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 12:36:56 AM »

Not if you get an 05'. ;)

Either way it's a great ride, can't go wrong, but Red is fastest.... :)

06, red bikes have a gray front fender

MV 2013

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 05:41:50 PM »

If you change your mind and want an 05, let me know.  I'll sell her for $16,000 with all the extras on her and you can pick up the original parts from DC's house in Maryland. 

~V
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 01:44:54 PM »

just take it :huepfenjump3:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 21 queries.