Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Attn: All 2008 HD Owners: Possible problems with the new electronic Throttle  (Read 6753 times)

Fruitcake

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: My wifes bike 2004 FLSTC

From another forum

Repost for Thorn - HAMMER
Date: Mon Mar 24, 2008 21:19 GMT
This is a repost for Thorn about his brother HAMMER. If you have an 08 H.D. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get it checked out.

My Brother HAMMER was killed today in a bike accident -- He was the President and Chapter Holder for Boozerfighters Chapter 39 in Granburys, Texas. He is also the Owner of Jackhammer Tattoo. his wife Sindi is in serious condition.
Seems that the new electronic throttle on the 08 H.D.'s has a problem they accelerate on their own and you can shut them down. he had just got his bike back from H.D. for this problem and they told him it was fixed. this time he was in a curve and couldn't pull out of it , ran off the road and threw Sindi of ,then the bike flipped over on him and broke his neck .

please if you have one of these bikes or you know someone that does , get it checked.

REST IN PEACE HAMMER MY BROTHER ----BOOZERFIGHTERS UP!!!

We love Riding the hills of the North East Kingdom of VT, Northern NH and Western ME.

SPIDERMAN

Very sorry to hear of the loss of a friend, brother and fellow rider. My condolences to the family, prayers for his wife to pull through and sympathy for all of this man's brothers and friends.

With al due respect, if I may use this thread as a springboard for something that bothers me a lot about many many riders. I have heard many horror stories in my 40 years on the road of similar situations for a variety of reasons. When Carburetors were the norm, this was a frequent occurence. I have had it happen as have many of my friends. In most every case where I spoke to people a case of amnesia as to the existence and purpose of the Kill Switch occured. I've gotten to know and care a good deal about many people on this site so I am asking everyone to please burn into your riding minds that when the engine starts to race, hit the kill switch. And whatever you do, don't pull in the clutch. Let the motor slow down the bike. This is why road racers have a wrist strap attached to the kill switch as do snowmobiles, ATV's, dirtbikes and wave runners. Sorry to pick this thread to preach a sermon, but I hope I don't have to read another post like this one.

B B

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II

that when the engine starts to race, hit the kill switch.

And whatever you do, don't pull in the clutch. Let the motor slow down the bike.

Perhaps BB you could expound a little here.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Fruitcake

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: My wifes bike 2004 FLSTC

Very sorry to hear of the loss of a friend, brother and fellow rider. My condolences to the family, prayers for his wife to pull through and sympathy for all of this man's brothers and friends.

With al due respect, if I may use this thread as a springboard for something that bothers me a lot about many many riders. I have heard many horror stories in my 40 years on the road of similar situations for a variety of reasons. When Carburetors were the norm, this was a frequent occurence. I have had it happen as have many of my friends. In most every case where I spoke to people a case of amnesia as to the existence and purpose of the Kill Switch occured. I've gotten to know and care a good deal about many people on this site so I am asking everyone to please burn into your riding minds that when the engine starts to race, hit the kill switch. And whatever you do, don't pull in the clutch. Let the motor slow down the bike. This is why road racers have a wrist strap attached to the kill switch as do snowmobiles, ATV's, dirtbikes and wave runners. Sorry to pick this thread to preach a sermon, but I hope I don't have to read another post like this one.

Please understand this was not my brother!

I found this thread on another forum. And I agree that if you press the clutch lever in and apply the brake the engine will still rev up put you can stop.

I posted this as  warning!

I also agree that he should have hit the kill switch and it should have killed the engine.

They claim that he did that.  We only no what was said!
I have electronic fuel control on my Polaris 4x4 ATV and it's never given me a problem in 4 years!

B B
We love Riding the hills of the North East Kingdom of VT, Northern NH and Western ME.

SPIDERMAN

Brother as in brother to his fellow Boozefighters, brother as in a fellow rider.

Brother in spirit

B B

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange

Bro, I'm sorry for your loss, and may Sindi heal quickly and completely.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member

What is Willy gonna say about this one??? Daaa what throttle problem??

Also curious, other then Harley, who else uses the electronic throttle? BMW?? Goldwing?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:02:27 PM by sportygordy »

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3

Deepest condolences and white light for healing the lucky one! Hope the MOCO does a voluntary recall to allay fears and concerns-chit's scary! :-X

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

Very sad occurrence.

BB's remarks on the engine kill switch are very appropriate.  Got in the habit of using it a long time ago.  Regular throttle cables can also bind - sincerely hope this is an isolated electronic problem for the throttle by wire.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:13:26 AM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II

Why not pull the clutch in?

I can see hitting the kill switch and let the dead engine slow you down, but if your stuck at WOT odds are you already have a hand on the clutch lever. Seems first instinct would be to just pull the lever.

Something I don't recall ever addressed at the Riders Edge classes.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Street Glide Orange Lava

Sorry to hear this one, the kill switch is an appropriate topic, although this is not the time for a suggestion, i would highly suggest someone on his behalf secure the bike and contact a good products liability firm, and make sure no one monkeys with the evidence. DO NOT RELEASE IT TO THE insurance company, and make sure the traffic homicide guys dont try to power up the bike or monkey with the throttle!. Realize this wont bring a brother back but will help protect her and his families interests. I hope she recovers quickly
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS A DRINK

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser

Thought and prayers go out to the families.  Haven't had any issues with the electronic throttle.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY

How was it determined that this was the cause, and actually happened. If it did and he was into a tight turn, I could see how he didnt have time to react by eng kill switch or pulling in the clutch.
Very sad and sorry for your loss.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

TXzBob

• CVO1: '08 FLHRSE4

Sad, sad story...

This is quite alarming since I have my 2 week old FLHRSE4 in the shop for an issue with the throttle; apparently there's a short in the sensor.  I didn't experience any runaway issues...the engine light just came on and didn't go away, I rode it 10 miles to the dealership.

novazeus

• Full CVO Member

Sad, sad story...

This is quite alarming since I have my 2 week old FLHRSE4 in the shop for an issue with the throttle; apparently there's a short in the sensor.  I didn't experience any runaway issues...the engine light just came on and didn't go away, I rode it 10 miles to the dealership.

That's what happened with the first FLHRSE4 I bought. I rode it 8 miles from the dealership and 8 miles back because the engine light came on and stayed on. After three days and the dealership not being able to fix it, they returned my check and I went to another dealership and bought another one. I never actually found out why the light came on.

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!

Nothing can be said but we me are sorry for your friend, brother and his wife. I just got a 2008 for my wife so trust me we will have a chat about what to do in a "What if." I really believe the MOCO checks and rechecks and tests and retests their bikes long before we ever see them. No question something happens and beam we look to blame someone but things happen way beyond our control and the motor companies. I am sure they will hear about this if not already and are doing what they must to fix the problem and yes cover their butt. In the end the advice to hit the kill switch when ANYTHING goes a miss is the best advise and keep it off until you come to a stop, is the best advise in dealing with what remains a risky sport. We throw our legs over our bikes every day and we better understand the risk. That was in the riders course and we can not forget it.
God bless our fallen brother and his wife and all of us who have the passion to ride. Without his tragedy we would not be aware of what could happen and what to do. While today is a huge loss to all who knew him in his passing he will save may lives. That is major!
Dave
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.