Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~> Handle Bar & Front PM Brake Caliper Modification  (Read 25393 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE

Well here we are in the spring of 2008.  Hello everyone!!!!  I hope all is well…..Seems the posting has been somewhat slow so I thought I would throw out a thread for us FXR2 FXR3 and FXR4 owners….detailing a recent modification done to my 1999 FXR2. 

Last summer right before Sturgis I made another modification to my 2002 Road King Classic (the endless search so it seems  for the “perfect” road king handle bar, rolling my eyes, but this time I think I nailed it) which had to do with handle bars.  I decided upon the Wild One Chubby 10” Mini Apes.  These bars have a 10” end rise and a 36” width.  After spending nearly 1,600 miles over several days with the new handle bars I was quite ecstatic about finally finding a set of bars that I feel comfortable with!  The only reason I have referenced the RKC’s modification is simply because as you can imagine after spending several days on one particular bike and getting use to the dynamics of the ride and then after returning and only a couple of days later to go out into my garage and jump on my 1999 FXR2 and take it out for a ride, what a “shock” I felt in terms of the handle bar differences in terms of “width”.  As most of us owners of the FXR2 model are aware of our stock HD handle bars HD# 56473-98 are only 28” in width.  YIKES!!!!  LOL… pretty narrow….Of course if you own no other bike you have nothing as a reference point so 28” is no big deal….However….

When I first acquired my FXR2 I thought the stock bars were fine, initially everything seemed copasetic..….but I have a buddy who owns an FXR3 and he kept trying to share with me how I would probably not really like the “performance” of the handle bars due to the lack of width which really references elements of leverage especially while attempting to negotiate corners through out our local canyons where I ride.  Of course after only a few runs and then trading bikes amongst ourselves (FXR2 vs FXR3)….with two major differences being of course the 19” wheel that the FXR3 has vs the 21” of the FXR2 as well as the width of the bars (he actually runs an already modified handle bar on his FXR3 which is approximately 31” in width) I very much understood after taking on a few “canyon corners” what he was trying to help me understand.  There is such little leverage available with narrower bars vs a wider bar.  (Which by the way logically follows what I now have with my RKC handle bar width of 36” compared to the roughly 32” I was running prior to that modification, and given the “bigger” bike feel of “Classic”, it even seems more pronounced…..)

At the time of purchasing my FXR2, I was also in possession of a 2003 Low Rider (FXDL) and the stock handle bars on that bike was an HD# 56081-01 which were 30” wide, since I knew how I felt with them while riding the FXDL, I decided to purchase the FXDL stock bar and place it on my FXR2 basically gaining 2 inches of width. This was a very easy install as no modification of cables inclusive of  the throttle, idle, clutch, or brake line cable were needed.  This resulted in what I felt was a great improvement and had I of course not modified my RKC handle bar as mentioned above I would have been still using the stock FXDL handle bar on my FXR2, however the amount of difference I felt between my RKC with the wild one 10” Mini Apes having 36” of width compared to the FXDL bars having only 30” of width on the FXR2 was simply not satisfactory to me.  There just was too much difference between the two bikes.  It just seemed really so odd to me that I knew I had to do something about the width of my FXR2 handle bars to help my mind with this huge discrepancy.  I know most of you are thinking….it shouldn’t be that big of deal (the differences between the two bikes) after all you are obviously not riding them at the same time and there are always a number of differences between any two bikes…so what’s the big deal….well all I can tell you is I found my mind always wandering about the “odd” feeling I was having that it was actually disrupting my focus while even riding the FXR2…which is not a safe situation and prior to my adding the wild one’s on my RKC I certainly wasn’t experiencing any penetrating differences in the bikes while riding either bike….so this was something seemingly of importance…as I said very odd…..Anyway….

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:44:57 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~~~Handle Bar Modification!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »

I decided to do some further research to see if I could find ANY handle bar that might be wider so my search took me to FLANDERS.  www.flandersco.com and I came upon a specific handle bar referred to as an F5: FLANDERS - Bad Boy Bars® with the width being 32.25” while the end rise, center, and pull back measurements were basically exactly as the FXDL bars.   So a perfect match except that they provided more width from 30” to 32.25” reducing the difference in handle bar width from 36” (RKC) to 32.25” (FXR2) an amount equal to 3.75” less difference.  While it doesn’t sound like much really it is substantial, exactly what I was hoping to find.  I might also add there certainly is a point at which handle bars for the FXR2 could go the other way and have too much width as well.  It seems at least for myself that at 33” and beyond I would feel any bar to be much too wide for the FXR2.  

After having installed the FLANDERS - Bad Boy Bars® on my FXR2 I can say that they are GREAT handle bars for the FXR2, the extra width is great for canyon riding and not so wide that they are uncomfortable either.  Visually there is hardly any difference between the FXDL handle bars I was running and the FLANDERS Bad Boy Bars® so that too is a positive.

Finally perhaps the point is regardless of whether I have another bike which prompted me to search for different handle bars for the FXR2, I would simply say that you may very well benefit from considering a modification from the stock 28” wide handle bar to a 32.25” wide handle bar resulting in better performance when entering curves as well as other types of riding, I know I am.

Cost to install the F5: FLANDERS Bad Boy Bars® is approximately $220.00

Here is the install

***DS-300133             F5: Flanders Handlebars - Bad Boy Bars®                                                       $81.56
HD# 56633-06            Black Vinyl Throttle Cable     28.5”                                                                  $17.60
HD# 56634-06            Black Vinyl Idle Cable            28.5”                                                                $17.60
DS- D-80338              38” Goodridge Clear Coated Stainless Steel Brake Line Cable                               $36.95
                                         600-03CL ASSY Custom Hose Assembly
03-5961                      Biker’s Choice 12 MM Banjo 35 Degrees                                                          $10.95
B594-03C                   Goodridge 10 MM Banjo 45 Degree                                                                  $12.95
                                (at the location of the caliper ie: bottom)  
26311                         12 MM Banjo Washer  (2)                                                                              $2.50
26310                         10 MM Banjo Washer  (2)                                                                              $2.60
85090                          PKG Chrome Cable Ties                                                                              $12.99
HD# 10081                  Double Loop Cable Ties   1.56 ea  x 3   (To connect throttle & Speed Cable)           $4.68  
HD# 91147-02             Billet Chrome Cable-Bracket Kit                                                                     $39.95
71795-63A                   Regulator Black Vinyl                                                                                    $2.54
                                                                                                                                           -----------------
                                                                                                                                                $218.00

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT NO MODIFICATION OF LENGTH WAS REQUIRED FOR THE OEM STOCK CLUTCH CABLE FOR EITHER THIS APPLICATION OF THE FLANDER'S BAD BOYS HANDLE BARS OR THE 56085-83T (CHROME) OR THE 56085-83A (BLACK)

***If you venture to the FLANDERS website you will notice that the bars are more expensive than I am listing above and that is because I purchased my bars from a HD dealer offering 20% discount, I simply provided the Drag Specialties part number.  

You will also note that I decided upon the black vinyl coverings for the throttle and idle cables.  For the brake line cable extension I acquired (since our FXR2’s already come with stainless steel) a vinyl covered stainless steel goodridge brake line cable.  Also it should be noted the change for the brake line cable is also in part due to another modification of the stock FXR2 evo caliper over to a Performance Machine front brake caliper which also reflected the need for the change in B594-03C Goodridge 10 MM Banjo 45 Degree fitting.  It also should be noted that any change in length of a brake line cable will also require new banjo fittings above at the master cylinder as well as below at the caliper because the stock HD brake line cable is a one piece construction.  Because I modified the angle of the banjo fitting from 90 degrees to 45 degrees I was able use a 38” length of cable for my application.  If one were going to reuse their stock caliper with this handle bar modification I still feel the brake line cable would need to be lengthened I am just entirely sure how much and in part that decision would be based upon what you choose for angles at both the master cylinder and caliper locations….

*HD# 56432-98  Throttle Black Cable Stock HD For FXR2  26.5”  so essentially one is needing +2” of cable length
      *HD# 56433-98   Idle      Black Cable Stock HD For FXR2  26.5”   so essentially one is needing +2” of cable length

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:50:40 PM by FXR2evo99 »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »

Now that is a great and informative couple of post!
Thanks

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »

A photo of my FXR2 also showing the new PM Caliper I briefly mentioned as well....and also note that I am running a 19" laced HD # 43312-84 wheel $283.20 in June of 2005 as well as an HD# 59524-99 FXR3 Front Fender $44.55 purchased brand new off of ebay and to have it painted $100.00.  The only difference between an FXR2 and FXR3 front fender is  the rotation of the angle of the piece that attaches to the fender and provides the bolt locations of the fender to the fork.  Since I did add the FXR3 fender as I liked the angle of attachment better for the 19" look, I took the fender to my local painter who matched the color perfectly after 10-12 tries, but he finally got it right....it looks factory for sure!

silver-black thank you for your comments!!!   :2vrolijk_21:
Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:33:12 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »

4 Piston Caliper and Bracket 1984 - 1999 FXR & XLH

125X4SL CALIPER FOR 11.5" DISCS
Single (1) Caliper & Bracket   Performance Machine Part #   Retail   
To be used with stock 11.5" disc.
Peformance Machince Part # Chrome   1219-0017-CH   $399.95   

FRONT - FOR 84-99 FXR, FXD AND XLH EQUIPPED W/ SINGLE DISC WITH A STOCK OR CUSTOM WIRE SPOKE WHEEL W/ 11.5” ROTORS (125 X 4SL CALIPER)

Part Number   Description   Suggested Retail
DS-325103    Single disc, Chrome     $399.95 /  $319.95  <~~~I purchased for

"DS" stands for Drag Specialties
I ordered this from a HD dealership offering 20% off of the Drag Specialties listed price + I paid shipping to my door.
The PM part number above only works for LACED wheels if you have an FXR3 with the "mag" wheel you need to of course contact PM or go to their website to determine the proper fitment for a mag wheel which is different.

As noted in my above posting I purchased a new goodridge brake line cable part number as previously listed above.

--------------------------------------

I will follow up after a thousand miles or so of useage to let all know what I think of the product.  Both my buddy (the FXR3 owner) and myself made these modifications to our bikes, as the evo brakes of course are not as responsive at least as compared to my 2002 RKC front calipers (yes of course I know I have two calipers in that application but still....) I am going to leave the stock evo caliper on the rear as 70-75% of my braking power is coming from the front calipers anyway....plus I like the black on the rear as oposed to chrome anyway which is an added bonus....

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »

Another photo of the PM Caliper

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:03 PM »

and finally one final photo of the bike....showing the handle bars more from the rear....you might also notice the rear turn signals being relocated as I am set up to run the FXR convertible saddle bags...which required the turn signals being moved....you might also notice the FXR3 seat....(simply pointing out modifications that are in the photo)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:27:58 PM by FXR2evo99 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:43:12 PM »

That's a GREAT lookin' 2! :shocked2: :2vrolijk_21:  Some before/after photos would have been nice to be able to see how much width you gained from stock, though.  I would like some wider bars on my FXR3, too.  It came with the same part number (56473-98) stock.  The bike handles well, but as you mention, the narrow-ish bars are not very confidence inspiring in the curves.  Do you have any photos of your bike from similar angles prior to the bar change?

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 01:51:48 AM »

Thank you! 103tHunDer .......and CONGRATULATIONS to YOU on your new FXR3 purchase being 1 of 64 owners of the Dark Candy Blue with flames....

There is no doubt about gaining width between the stock bar and the FLANDERS bar I installed....as I mentioned previously heck it's 28" stock compared to 32.25" with the FLANDERS bar.  At the same time the difference is not distracting in terms of the "visual appeal of the bike".

I actually have rounded up 5 photos that were taken of the bike before the stock handle bars were removed.  The first photo is a photo taken right after I purchased the bike and I was replacing the rocker gaskets which had some weeping, thus the tank is removed.  While I don't have any photos taken directly behind or in front of the bike you could take some of your own bike and then compare as well.

The rest of the photos will follow.

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:48:35 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 01:53:23 AM »

Another one taken from behind as well....

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:54:46 AM »

another one taken from outside.....

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:08:10 AM »

Now this photo was taken with my buddies FXR3 that I mentioned before side by side, in this photo you should be able to see the width of the bars on the FXR3 I was attempting to describe in the beginning of this thread.  The bars on the FXR3 (emerald green) are approximately 31" wide.  I could have gone with a pair of these but I thought back in 2005 at the time that the FXDL (low rider) handle bars would be wide enough at 30" and since I already knew how they felt on my 2003 FXDL I decided I would stick with them on the FXR2.  Then when I made the modification to my 2002RKC last summer as previously stated I felt I wanted to go wider than even the [approximate] 31" wide bars he had on his FXR3 so I skipped the bar on his FXR3 and began a search to find a bit wider bar, and I found the FLANDERS F5 Bad Boy Bars at 32.25" in width.  As you might be able to tell it's really hard to visually see the difference between his 30" wide bar and my stock 28" bars on the FXR2 in this photo.  My point is that changing the width of the bars doesn't negatively impact the "visual stance" of the bike's appearance, but it sure does ergonomically make a huge difference in a positive way.

Here is some information about the bars on my buddy's FXR3 that he put on:
Here is the part number these handle bars either come in black mat or chrome:

56085-83A Black Mat Finish
56085-83T Chrome

In the HD Catalogs the bars are described in the following ways:

HD Catalog Part # Tip To Tip   Base Width   Rise       Pull Back       Price
2003 56085-83A        31.5"         7.5"             4"           7.5"                         Black Satin
2003 56085-83T        31.0"         8.0"             4.5"        5.5"                          Chrome

2007 56085-83A        31.5"         7.5"             4"           7.5"                         Black Satin
2007 56085-83T        31.0"         8.0"             4.5"        5.5"                         Chrome

2008 56085-83A        31.0"        7.75"            4.5"        5.75"          $51.00     Black Satin
2008 56085-83T        31.0"        7.75"            4.5"        5.75"          $49.95     Chrome

Well as you can see lol HD has a hard time deciding what size these bars are....each year or so it's something entirely different....but I did check with my buddy and on his FXR3 he has the "Chrome" version of these bars on which would be the HD# 56085-83T

If you have any of the above HD catalogs listed above you will be able to see them.....I just don't think your going to be able to figure out how exact these measurements are from the descriptions provided the only choice one has is simply to commit to purchasing them and seeing if you like them, what I do for sure is they are indeed a bit narrower than the Flander's BAD BOY handle bars but then again they are a bit less expensive as well....and my buddy does like them on his FXR3....but all I know is he is running these, and I verified that he is also needed to modify his throttle cable and idle cable.

Basically for me I would either be running one of these two bars either the "Flander's Bad Boy Bars" or the HD# 56085-83T which are the "chrome" version. What I like the best is that the FLANDER'S BAD BOY bars are just a bit wider and that was my entire purpose for putting a second set of bars onto my bike vs remaining with the stock bars.....Choosing the HD# 56085 83T chrome bars would of course also save one another $40.00 aproximately over the Flander's Bad Boy Bars if one were to purchase the HD bars from a HD 20% discount dealer as well.

So there you have it....lol

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:36:28 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 02:13:13 AM »

and finally a photo taken outside from an angle showing the stock 28" handle bars on my FXR2.

If I can be of further assistance to you or anyone else feel free to either post a question....glad to help....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 07:10:31 AM »

Now this really sucks.
FXR2evo99 your killing me!
One of my best past memories of bikes was my 86 FXRC that I bought new and made the motor a 98" S&S runner.
I loved that bike.
FXR2evo99 I sit here and read your informative post and wish I had one like yours.
A very cool and good looking bike!
You should be proud!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »

I am reposting the photo below just to mention a few more details. 

You should also be able to notice that the external "handle bar" wiring runs smoothly against the lower aspect of handle bar in this photo and without any wire ties or "external" wire clips.  In the stock and FXDL handle bars there are approximately 2 predrilled holes per side for wiring clips to secure the wiring to the underneath of the handle bar. However the F5: FLANDERS - Bad Boy Bar® is not predrilled for wiring. FLANDERS however does indeed make a version of this handle bar to accomodate internal wiring, but I felt that would require removing the tank and then determining where the handle bar wiring originates at without the need for splicing, it just seemed a bit overwhelming to do a clean job.  Also what came to mind is that every time one wanted to remove the handle bar from the bike all of this effort would need to be repeated to remove and reinstall...it just seemed way too complicated.  Obviously HD did not make this a simple endeavor or they would have installed in some sort of way, easily disconnecting the wires for modifications such as this, so I left well enough alone.  Thus, I went with FLANDERS "non" internal wiring handle bar the "F5: FLANDERS - Bad Boy Bar®"  As you perhaps can tell the wires lay very nicely against the bottom part of the handle bar and to this point I haven't even bothered to use any of the "chrome" wire ties  to "better" secure the "loom" of wiring along the bottom of either side of the handle bars that I purchased as you may have noted above in my parts list. 

Finally, on this matter DO NOT become focused on drilling any holes into the handle bar for the stock wiring clips, and don't ask me why I know this....lol...besides as I have just mentioned everything seems to be working just fine without any securing at all.  Also note that there is no need to lengthen the wiring, so no splicing or soldering is required.)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 21 queries.