Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~> Handle Bar & Front PM Brake Caliper Modification  (Read 25399 times)

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'

Elvislee,

Great pics of the bike.  One item of caution...I had a fork bag mounted where yours is and I let my suspension get sloppy (waited too long to change out the fork oil).  The fork compressed enough over time to actually cause the bag to dent my fender.  I had a soft leather H-D bag with a pad lock in it which probably was a bad idea.

Thanks,

Joe

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE

Elvislee,
Can you post a picture and part number for you saddle bag brackets?  Thanks!

FXR3Joe

Elvislee,

Great pics of the bike.  One item of caution...I had a fork bag mounted where yours is and I let my suspension get sloppy (waited too long to change out the fork oil).  The fork compressed enough over time to actually cause the bag to dent my fender.  I had a soft leather H-D bag with a pad lock in it which probably was a bad idea.  Thanks,

Joe

Joe~~~

I noticed above you are trying to reach Elvislee.....for what it's worth.....basically....

Elvislee doesn't post at CVO Harley anymore, he does most of his "posting" over at Harley Tech Talk or "HTT" thus.......if you follow the "attached" "LINK" provided below you will if you are a member there be able to relay your questions to him and he can send you some photos via e~mail I am sure.....

CLICK HERE:  Elvisee Profile

He is always glad to help.....he is a great guy!  I simply responded here because it might be a "long" time before he might catch up with this THREAD to even see your question of him.  The "LINK" above should send you to his profile on that website and you should be able to send him a "private message" but in order to do that as I mentioned above you must first be a member, since I am a member there I was able to establish the link.  Membership there like here is not based upon a "fee" requirement so if you aren't a member it's pretty hassle free to become one.
 :jalapeno:
Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:56:54 AM by FXR2evo99 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member

Frisco Kid....

I wish you well with your decision to go with the flanders "bad boy" bars....I know I have liked mine.  Hope they make things a bit more comfortable for you.

THE BIG ANSWER lol......is:

Tim ALWAYS has 'THE BIG ANSWER'
  :P

I feel nonplussed by the Performance Machine Caliper that was put on, both Paul (owner of the green FXR3) and I installed the PM Chrome Caliper on our FXRs.  We both are in agreement....they pretty much suck for the amount of money we spent.....but they "look" good.....don't get me wrong....it's not like the bike is unsafe or that there is not improvement, as there has been....but for the amount of $ spent we both feel they are under performing.

and if you had DUAL up front, you'd be out even more $ .... COST is the only reason I haven't put PM calipers on my bike, as I'd need 3 of them and I just am not going to spend that kind of money just for looks.  The FXR4 has great braking with the duals up front, I'm very happy with the stock setup.

Knowing what I know now, I would do 1 of 4 things:

A) I would purchase a right fork with the brackets for another disc for the right fork and put a new master cylinder on to handle the extra caliper and run two discs up front with the old style evo calipers.....part numbers could be arrived at by looking at either evo dynas or another fxr model that ran dual brakes up front.  Just remember our forks are "chrome" so you need to find a right fork leg which is chromed and uses the old style evo calipers to accomplish, haven't done any research on this matter to confirm which exact part numbers to work from.

B) Go to the FXR4 model and purchase the front forks on an FXR4 as well as discs and the master cylinder from the FXR4 and then acquire two appropriate calipers that fit ie: the twin cam style calipers that are "black" finished vs the "silver finish" since I am more fond of "black", the FXR4 calipers have a "silver" finish.  I believe the front forks of the FXR4 are chromed as well.....just so you know.

This, IMHO, would be the easiest way to do it..... yes, the forks on the 4 are chrome, yes, the calipers are silver, black is ok, but if you have a silver motor and case, silver calipers go well with it    :-)

C) Scrape the Idea of the FXR4 idea above and go to a 2001 or so FXDX sport front fork set up which is a "cartridged" style fork set up which gets one into the elements of whether one feels the FXDX Sport front forks would perform better than the current oem FXR2, FXR3, or FXR4 forks from a stand point of the "cartridged" styled system.  The FXDX Sport also is a dual disc situation.  Now realize the FXDX Sport front forks are not "chromed" so if that was important move to D.

D) Before installing the FXDX Forks on to your bike pay to have them chromed....and then proceed with all necessary elements for installation.  This system would of course accomplish three things, 1) Chromed Front Forks, 2) A "Cartridged" Styled Front Fork System which you can "dial in" and finally 3) Twin Cam (for lack of a better term) later styled calipers which work fantastic on my 2002 RKC and stop that 750 lb monster lol, so you know you would get great performance with a much lighter (aprx 200 lb) plateformed bike which are a "dual" disc set up.

Since it pretty much works out to a 70/30 split for stopping in that 70% of your stopping power is attributed more to the front brakes over the rear brakes my feelings of course that leaving the oem FXR2, FXR3 brakes are just fine....but if you felt you needed to have them match changing that caliper could be done as well but from a "performance" stand point not particularly needed in my opinion.

So there you have it.....

:pepper:

Regards,

Tim

Good Stuff, like always Tim !!!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.