Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~> Handle Bar & Front PM Brake Caliper Modification  (Read 25457 times)

elvislee

Re: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~> Handle Bar & Front PM Brake Caliper Modification
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »

Pic #5 of 6
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:26:15 PM by elvislee »

elvislee

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »

Pic #6 of 6

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

Thanks, it looks like they pull it back a few inches?  Did you have to replace all lines and cables?   Wiring extension?

Did you change the switch housings back to black?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:55:10 PM by skreminegul07 »
Any day on the bike is a good day.

elvislee

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2008, 11:00:39 PM »

Thanks, it looks like they pull it back a few inches?  Did you have to replace all lines and cables?   Wiring extension?

Did you change the switch housings back to black?

Phil,

1. Cables...The cables you see in these photos are the cables which came off the buckhorn bars I had on the bike before I put the 83T bars on.
        I bought new cables (Black) at stock +2" but have not put them on yet. I keep telling myself I'm gonna try my stock cables off the drag bars
       first and see if they will fit;, but as you can see I just haven't done it yet. When I do try the stock cables to the 83T bars and if they fit I will
       use them and return the +2" cables. So, when ever I get off my lazy A$$ I'll let ya'll know.

2. Wiring Extension...The wiring extension was a new set I purchased from HD when I had put my buckhorns on and that wiring came with
       the black switch housings and I just went ahead and put those on. I still have the stock chrome switch housings from the stock wiring and plan
       to reistall the chrome ones at the same time I decide to put the stock or +2" cables on.

So, because I had already had buckhorns on when I changed to the 83T bar it affected the cables and wiring on that swapover as to how it would have if I had been changing from the drag bar to the 83T. I know this doesn't help you much but my main purpose of showing you pics as I indicated earlier was to try and give you a visual of a yellow4 with different bars.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:02:50 PM by elvislee »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 03:49:44 AM »

Blaine~~~~

WOW your bike LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!! I really like those handlebars on there and more importantly from what you have been sharing it seems like they are working well for you too.....<~~~which should be anyone's primary reason for changing handlebars!!!! because they are more comfortable!!!!

Great photos too......your photos will only help this thread continue to be useful to others.......anyone owning an FXR4 now has something they can "visually" see that's different from the OEM handlebars......

ANOTHER "best part" about those bars is that they are pretty inexpensive as well~~~~

:bananarock:

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:38:25 PM by FXR2evo99 »

elvislee

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »

Blaine~~~~

WOW your bike LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!! I really like those handlebars on there and more importantly from what you have been sharing it seems like they are working well for your too.....<~~~which should be anyone's primary reason for changing handlebars!!!! because they are more comfortable!!!!

Great photos too......your photos will only help this thread continue to be useful to others.......anyone owning an FXR4 now has something they can "visually" see that's different from the OEM handlebars......

ANOTHER "best part" about those bars is that they are pretty inexpensive as well~~~~

:bananarock:

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tim...You know I ALWAY's appreaciate your kind words  :2vrolijk_21:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 06:35:39 PM »

Phil,

1. Cables...The cables you see in these photos are the cables which came off the buckhorn bars I had on the bike before I put the 83T bars on.
        I bought new cables (Black) at stock +2" but have not put them on yet. I keep telling myself I'm gonna try my stock cables off the drag bars
       first and see if they will fit;, but as you can see I just haven't done it yet. When I do try the stock cables to the 83T bars and if they fit I will
       use them and return the +2" cables. So, when ever I get off my lazy A$$ I'll let ya'll know.

2. Wiring Extension...The wiring extension was a new set I purchased from HD when I had put my buckhorns on and that wiring came with
       the black switch housings and I just went ahead and put those on. I still have the stock chrome switch housings from the stock wiring and plan
       to reistall the chrome ones at the same time I decide to put the stock or +2" cables on.

So, because I had already had buckhorns on when I changed to the 83T bar it affected the cables and wiring on that swapover as to how it would have if I had been changing from the drag bar to the 83T. I know this doesn't help you much but my main purpose of showing you pics as I indicated earlier was to try and give you a visual of a yellow4 with different bars.  :2vrolijk_21:

Great info.ward controls, which did you go with?  With integrated master cylinder?  I noticed the stock rear brake line has a place for the brake light switch to T into it.  Doesn't look like a longer one like that might be available.

elvislee

Great info.ward controls, which did you go with?  With integrated master cylinder?  I noticed the stock rear brake line has a place for the brake light switch to T into it.  Doesn't look like a longer one like that might be available.

Phil...First I know this is an old post and I was just reading through some older stuff and just now realized I never answered your questions...I don't know what happened as to why I didn't;, but I SINCERALEY APOLOGIZE. I always try and make it a point to respond back to someone and I guess I missed this somehow :-[

Now to try and answer your questions.

1. The forward controls I cannot positively identify by PN as I bought them used from "omtg" (Kenny) on this site after he bought his Fxr2. I do know they are Kuryukyn's and I THINK they are the discontinued ones of PN: 9064 if I'm correct. If I understand your question correctly; no, they are not with the intergrated Master Cylinder.

2. I am completely clueless to the "T" you are talking about..I am gonna look at it tomorrow to see what you are talking about  :confused5:...Maybe you could school me on this...Anyway...AGAIN, MY APOLOGIES...Blaine

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Previously there was a request for a photo of what the OEM FXR2 or FXR3 Handle Bars look like as compared to say the "new" width of a set of Flanders "Bad Boy" handle bars, so I recently saw a photo of Frisco Kid's FXR3 bike taken from the rear (even though his paint scheme is different it's a confirmed FXR3) so I am simply attaching the photo from another THREAD on a Handle Bar discussion so that in the future other's might be able to compare the "width" difference.  The FXR2 & FXR3 OEM handle bars are 30" wide while the Flanders "Bad Boy" handle bars are 32.25" wide.

Regards,

FXR2evo99

COMPARE THIS PHOTO WITH REPLY #1 FOR A VISUAL COMPARISON
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:01:17 PM by FXR2evo99 »

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3

I have been through this page a half dozen times as it is so imformative.
Now imgine my suprise to see my bike here. Love it.
So here is my BIG question.
How did the PM caliper perform?
WAs it worth the bucks?
My guess is it was.
I ordered the Flanders bad boys for my bike and can't wait to put them on.
Live free or die like a rat in a trap.

1999 FXR3
EV27 Cam, Adjustable push rods, S&S Carb, Crane Single-Fire, RB Pipe.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

I have been through this page a half dozen times as it is so imformative.
Now imgine my suprise to see my bike here. Love it.
So here is my BIG question.
How did the PM caliper perform?
Was it worth the bucks?
My guess is it was.
I ordered the Flanders bad boys for my bike and can't wait to put them on.

Frisco Kid....

I wish you well with your decision to go with the flanders "bad boy" bars....I know I have liked mine.  Hope they make things a bit more comfortable for you.

THE BIG ANSWER lol......is:

I feel nonplussed by the Performance Machine Caliper that was put on, both Paul (owner of the green FXR3) and I installed the PM Chrome Caliper on our FXRs.  We both are in agreement....they pretty much suck for the amount of money we spent.....but they "look" good.....don't get me wrong....it's not like the bike is unsafe or that there is not improvement, as there has been....but for the amount of $ spent we both feel they are under performing.

Knowing what I know now, I would do 1 of 4 things:

A) I would purchase a right fork with the brackets for another disc for the right fork and put a new master cylinder on to handle the extra caliper and run two discs up front with the old style evo calipers.....part numbers could be arrived at by looking at either evo dynas or another fxr model that ran dual brakes up front.  Just remember our forks are "chrome" so you need to find a right fork leg which is chromed and uses the old style evo calipers to accomplish, haven't done any research on this matter to confirm which exact part numbers to work from.

B) Go to the FXR4 model and purchase the front forks on an FXR4 as well as discs and the master cylinder from the FXR4 and then acquire two appropriate calipers that fit ie: the twin cam style calipers that are "black" finished vs the "silver finish" since I am more fond of "black", the FXR4 calipers have a "silver" finish.  I believe the front forks of the FXR4 are chromed as well.....just so you know.

C) Scrape the Idea of the FXR4 idea above and go to a 2001 or so FXDX sport front fork set up which is a "cartridged" style fork set up which gets one into the elements of whether one feels the FXDX Sport front forks would perform better than the current oem FXR2, FXR3, or FXR4 forks from a stand point of the "cartridged" styled system.  The FXDX Sport also is a dual disc situation.  Now realize the FXDX Sport front forks are not "chromed" so if that was important move to D.

D) Before installing the FXDX Forks on to your bike pay to have them chromed....and then proceed with all necessary elements for installation.  This system would of course accomplish three things, 1) Chromed Front Forks, 2) A "Cartridged" Styled Front Fork System which you can "dial in" and finally 3) Twin Cam (for lack of a better term) later styled calipers which work fantastic on my 2002 RKC and stop that 750 lb monster lol, so you know you would get great performance with a much lighter (aprx 200 lb) plateformed bike which are a "dual" disc set up.

Since it pretty much works out to a 70/30 split for stopping in that 70% of your stopping power is attributed more to the front brakes over the rear brakes my feelings of course that leaving the oem FXR2, FXR3 brakes are just fine....but if you felt you needed to have them match changing that caliper could be done as well but from a "performance" stand point not particularly needed in my opinion.

So there you have it.....

:pepper:

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:05:07 PM by FXR2evo99 »

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3

Someone has obviously give this some real thought.
None of those options sound cheap! But it is rare that the best option is the cheapest.
In the short term I will live with what I have.
But if a deal presents itself, I might just jump at it.
It seems that most people with older evo style dual disks are pretty happy with them.
And I see guys swapping out front ends pretty regularly.
So this is one more thing to scavenge from the shows and classifieds.
IMO chrome calipers don't look nice stuffed into the bumper of some careless rubber necker.
I love that too close lane change into immediate braking.
Thanks.
Live free or die like a rat in a trap.

1999 FXR3
EV27 Cam, Adjustable push rods, S&S Carb, Crane Single-Fire, RB Pipe.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

The engine on the transmission on the FXR4 are also gray, like the brake calipers,  which is the way HD picks the colors, I believe.
The 1999 also have single or dual pistons (not sure)  and the 2000 calipers are quad.  Going from the single disk 1999 setup to the 2000 dual disc setup must be a considerable increase in stopping power.  I have the 2000 FXR4 and can tell you that it stops quick.  You only need 1 finger.
That was one of the reasons that I selected the 2000 over the 1999.  But that's just me.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

The engine on the transmission on the FXR4 are also gray, like the brake calipers,  which is the way HD picks the colors, I believe.  The 1999 also have single or dual pistons (not sure)  and the 2000 calipers are quad.  Going from the single disk 1999 setup to the 2000 dual disc setup must be a considerable increase in stopping power.  I have the 2000 FXR4 and can tell you that it stops quick.  You only need 1 finger.  That was one of the reasons that I selected the 2000 over the 1999.  But that's just me. 

skreminegul07~

I should have mentioned what you said above as well that the 00 FXR4 indeed has the "silver" or "grey" engine thus the calipers are matching to that "theme".  And of course the FXR2s and FXR3s have the black engine thus one would automatically be prone to looking for "black" calipers in such an application.....  GOOD POINT!!!

Indeed I would also agree with your assessment that the dual disc set up with the "twin cam" style 4 piston caliper set up is a huge improvement over the FXR2 or FXR3 bike OEM one disc single piston "evo" style brake caliper.....although I must admit it seemed to stop me WITHOUT putting my feet on the ground like the "Flinstones"  :2vrolijk_21:  lol.

This was the logic used by going to the PM New Caliper Brake for myself and Paul with each of our bikes ie: FXR2 and FXR3, in the end we got some "performance" but as I said above "underwhelming" performance just the same although not such bad performance that we are endangering the riding experience....that's why if anyone is thinking of modifying their front end on either the FXR2 or FXR3 I would recommend one of the four options mentioned above.

Regards,

Tim

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'

Elvislee,

Can you post a picture and part number for you saddle bag brackets? 

Thanks!

FXR3Joe
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.