Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: HD Cuts Jobs as Profits Skid....  (Read 8724 times)

J.J.

• Full CVO Member
  • If you can accept losing, you can't win
2006 Black and Slate
SE Stage 1
Rinehart True Duals
HD Race Tuner
99.8HP 103TQ

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: HD Cuts Jobs as Profits Skid....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:16:52 AM »

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »

Maybe they should fix some of the problems with the bikes, then they might not have to lay people off to pay the top brass! Hope the lay of the some of their engine design engineers!

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »

The other 360 non-production jobs should be the 110 motor design team, bring in a new group to take a wack at fixing the issues, the existing team ain't getting it done.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »

Interesting news but certainly not surprising.  "Iconic motorcycles" are they talking about the 08 MY or the 09MY? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »

I knew it was coming. It was just a matter of time. And to tell you the truth. I think the number figures are low. Every dealer around here is sitting on 200 plus bikes. Including a bunch of CVO's.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »

I knew it was coming. It was just a matter of time. And to tell you the truth. I think the number figures are low. Every dealer around here is sitting on 200 plus bikes. Including a bunch of CVO's.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

You're absolutely right...I was in a dealership on Monday, looking into buying a street glide for a commuter...when I walked in there, there were so many bikes on the floor that you could barely walk around them...over in the corner I saw two 08 SERKs, an 08 SEDyna, and an 08 SE Springer.  When the sales lady walked me back through the service department, they had probably another 100 new motorcycles sitting there waiting to go out on the floor, including a Canyon Copper 08 SEUC.  I commented that I'd never seen so many SE's in a dealership at one time.  She told me that she "thought" the SEUC was sold and that's why it was in the back room.  Before I left she told me that whatever any dealer around was offering they would match or beat to get my business...so this may be a good time for me to buy the Street Glide (had my eye on a crimson red one) for below MSRP.  8)  I think they'd do just about anything, within reason, to move a bike right now.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

BigR55

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »

According to the article, HD sold 330,000 units last year or 975 per day, six days a week. That is 121 / hour or 2 per second for an 8 hour day.
How many production sites are there? What is the tac time per unit? :-\

KCBlackSheep

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »

Sales guy at local HD just called this morning ....says manager ready to strike deal on bikes ......they getting backed up wont be long and getting a CVO around sealer invoice might not be out of the question

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 05:21:10 PM »

You're absolutely right...I was in a dealership on Monday, looking into buying a street glide for a commuter...when I walked in there, there were so many bikes on the floor that you could barely walk around them...over in the corner I saw two 08 SERKs, an 08 SEDyna, and an 08 SE Springer.  When the sales lady walked me back through the service department, they had probably another 100 new motorcycles sitting there waiting to go out on the floor, including a Canyon Copper 08 SEUC.  I commented that I'd never seen so many SE's in a dealership at one time.  She told me that she "thought" the SEUC was sold and that's why it was in the back room.  Before I left she told me that whatever any dealer around was offering they would match or beat to get my business...so this may be a good time for me to buy the Street Glide (had my eye on a crimson red one) for below MSRP.  8)  I think they'd do just about anything, within reason, to move a bike right now.

:devil:

My friend got his new SG with a free 103 upgrade including slipons, open A/C and fuelpak. Paid under list with that stuff. There's good deals on new non-CVO bikes these days! Go get em Charlie! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 05:52:41 PM »

The 110 design team is three people.   :cucumber:

More news

Diedrich said slower production will protect the brand and help dealers avoid sales promotions just to clear inventory.

"Protecting the brand at Harley is job number one," Diedrich said. "It's a very high-quality brand and that's the most important thing."

To achieve the cuts, Harley will temporarily idle plants and change daily production rates, Ziemer said. These changes will result in the loss of about 370 unionized employees over the next several months, he said. About 80 percent of those cuts will be at the company's largest plant, in York, Pa., which has more than 2,770 hourly workers. About 14 percent of the cuts will be at plants in Milwaukee, the company said. It's not clear where the remainder will be. The company has plants throughout Wisconsin and in Kansas City, though spokesman Bob Klein said it appeared Kansas City wouldn't be affected.

Could be an interesting tour at York.

Layoffs can't help quality.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 05:54:09 PM »

The 110 design team is three people.   :cucumber:

More news

Diedrich said slower production will protect the brand and help dealers avoid sales promotions just to clear inventory.

"Protecting the brand at Harley is job number one," Diedrich said. "It's a very high-quality brand and that's the most important thing."

To achieve the cuts, Harley will temporarily idle plants and change daily production rates, Ziemer said. These changes will result in the loss of about 370 unionized employees over the next several months, he said. About 80 percent of those cuts will be at the company's largest plant, in York, Pa., which has more than 2,770 hourly workers. About 14 percent of the cuts will be at plants in Milwaukee, the company said. It's not clear where the remainder will be. The company has plants throughout Wisconsin and in Kansas City, though spokesman Bob Klein said it appeared Kansas City wouldn't be affected.

Could be an interesting tour at York.

Yeah, we better have a prospect stay outside and keep an eye on the bikes while we're inside! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 06:03:19 PM »

Maybe a disgruntled ex worker will tell all about the engine issues for a few bucks.  Or at least info on the 2009s.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 06:42:51 PM »

What is going to happen with all of the dealer inventory when the 2008s hit the dealer floors in Mid July especially the way the economy is affecting people in different parts of the US. Stay tuned for great bargains.

geezerglide

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 06:54:35 PM »

The way the economy is going there are going to be less people spending money on toys (bikes). There will be a lot of changes coming unless things change.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.