Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: HD Cuts Jobs as Profits Skid....  (Read 8725 times)

J.J.

• Full CVO Member
  • If you can accept losing, you can't win
2006 Black and Slate
SE Stage 1
Rinehart True Duals
HD Race Tuner
99.8HP 103TQ

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: HD Cuts Jobs as Profits Skid....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:16:52 AM »

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »

Maybe they should fix some of the problems with the bikes, then they might not have to lay people off to pay the top brass! Hope the lay of the some of their engine design engineers!

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »

The other 360 non-production jobs should be the 110 motor design team, bring in a new group to take a wack at fixing the issues, the existing team ain't getting it done.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »

Interesting news but certainly not surprising.  "Iconic motorcycles" are they talking about the 08 MY or the 09MY? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »

I knew it was coming. It was just a matter of time. And to tell you the truth. I think the number figures are low. Every dealer around here is sitting on 200 plus bikes. Including a bunch of CVO's.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »

I knew it was coming. It was just a matter of time. And to tell you the truth. I think the number figures are low. Every dealer around here is sitting on 200 plus bikes. Including a bunch of CVO's.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

You're absolutely right...I was in a dealership on Monday, looking into buying a street glide for a commuter...when I walked in there, there were so many bikes on the floor that you could barely walk around them...over in the corner I saw two 08 SERKs, an 08 SEDyna, and an 08 SE Springer.  When the sales lady walked me back through the service department, they had probably another 100 new motorcycles sitting there waiting to go out on the floor, including a Canyon Copper 08 SEUC.  I commented that I'd never seen so many SE's in a dealership at one time.  She told me that she "thought" the SEUC was sold and that's why it was in the back room.  Before I left she told me that whatever any dealer around was offering they would match or beat to get my business...so this may be a good time for me to buy the Street Glide (had my eye on a crimson red one) for below MSRP.  8)  I think they'd do just about anything, within reason, to move a bike right now.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

BigR55

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »

According to the article, HD sold 330,000 units last year or 975 per day, six days a week. That is 121 / hour or 2 per second for an 8 hour day.
How many production sites are there? What is the tac time per unit? :-\

KCBlackSheep

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »

Sales guy at local HD just called this morning ....says manager ready to strike deal on bikes ......they getting backed up wont be long and getting a CVO around sealer invoice might not be out of the question

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 05:21:10 PM »

You're absolutely right...I was in a dealership on Monday, looking into buying a street glide for a commuter...when I walked in there, there were so many bikes on the floor that you could barely walk around them...over in the corner I saw two 08 SERKs, an 08 SEDyna, and an 08 SE Springer.  When the sales lady walked me back through the service department, they had probably another 100 new motorcycles sitting there waiting to go out on the floor, including a Canyon Copper 08 SEUC.  I commented that I'd never seen so many SE's in a dealership at one time.  She told me that she "thought" the SEUC was sold and that's why it was in the back room.  Before I left she told me that whatever any dealer around was offering they would match or beat to get my business...so this may be a good time for me to buy the Street Glide (had my eye on a crimson red one) for below MSRP.  8)  I think they'd do just about anything, within reason, to move a bike right now.

My friend got his new SG with a free 103 upgrade including slipons, open A/C and fuelpak. Paid under list with that stuff. There's good deals on new non-CVO bikes these days! Go get em Charlie! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 05:52:41 PM »

The 110 design team is three people.   :cucumber:

More news

Diedrich said slower production will protect the brand and help dealers avoid sales promotions just to clear inventory.

"Protecting the brand at Harley is job number one," Diedrich said. "It's a very high-quality brand and that's the most important thing."

To achieve the cuts, Harley will temporarily idle plants and change daily production rates, Ziemer said. These changes will result in the loss of about 370 unionized employees over the next several months, he said. About 80 percent of those cuts will be at the company's largest plant, in York, Pa., which has more than 2,770 hourly workers. About 14 percent of the cuts will be at plants in Milwaukee, the company said. It's not clear where the remainder will be. The company has plants throughout Wisconsin and in Kansas City, though spokesman Bob Klein said it appeared Kansas City wouldn't be affected.

Could be an interesting tour at York.

Layoffs can't help quality.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 05:54:09 PM »

More news

Diedrich said slower production will protect the brand and help dealers avoid sales promotions just to clear inventory.

"Protecting the brand at Harley is job number one," Diedrich said. "It's a very high-quality brand and that's the most important thing."

To achieve the cuts, Harley will temporarily idle plants and change daily production rates, Ziemer said. These changes will result in the loss of about 370 unionized employees over the next several months, he said. About 80 percent of those cuts will be at the company's largest plant, in York, Pa., which has more than 2,770 hourly workers. About 14 percent of the cuts will be at plants in Milwaukee, the company said. It's not clear where the remainder will be. The company has plants throughout Wisconsin and in Kansas City, though spokesman Bob Klein said it appeared Kansas City wouldn't be affected.

Yeah, we better have a prospect stay outside and keep an eye on the bikes while we're inside! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 06:03:19 PM »

Maybe a disgruntled ex worker will tell all about the engine issues for a few bucks.  Or at least info on the 2009s.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 06:42:51 PM »

What is going to happen with all of the dealer inventory when the 2008s hit the dealer floors in Mid July especially the way the economy is affecting people in different parts of the US. Stay tuned for great bargains.

geezerglide

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 06:54:35 PM »

The way the economy is going there are going to be less people spending money on toys (bikes). There will be a lot of changes coming unless things change.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »

Everyone realizes of course that the statement "It's a very high quality brand" is not the same thing as stating the products are high quality.  The Harley-Davidson brand currently enjoys a large and loyal following, regardless of the actual product quality.  In a society that values form over function, not surprising at all.  But, in a society that can also be very fickle, it's not a condition that's guaranteed to continue indefinitely.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 09:03:08 PM »

You're absolutely right...I was in a dealership on Monday, looking into buying a street glide for a commuter...when I walked in there, there were so many bikes on the floor that you could barely walk around them...over in the corner I saw two 08 SERKs, an 08 SEDyna, and an 08 SE Springer.  When the sales lady walked me back through the service department, they had probably another 100 new motorcycles sitting there waiting to go out on the floor, including a Canyon Copper 08 SEUC.   I commented that I'd never seen so many SE's in a dealership at one time.  She told me that she "thought" the SEUC was sold and that's why it was in the back room.  Before I left she told me that whatever any dealer around was offering they would match or beat to get my business...so this may be a good time for me to buy the Street Glide (had my eye on a crimson red one) for below MSRP.  8)  I think they'd do just about anything, within reason, to move a bike right now.

You must have been at Whitts. They have another 150 plus sitting in a warehouse not even set up as of yet. They also have had their quota cut by 70%.

I is real ugly out there for the dealers. But they have had it coming. I hope half of them lose their A$$!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 09:06:13 PM »

What is going to happen with all of the dealer inventory when the 2008s hit the dealer floors in Mid July especially the way the economy is affecting people in different parts of the US. Stay tuned for great bargains.

geezerglide

You mean 2009's!!!! :oops:

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 09:49:14 PM »

More news

Layoffs can't help quality.

Moe, Curly and ....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »

You must have been at Whitts. They have another 150 plus sitting in a warehouse not even set up as of yet. They also have had their quota cut by 70%.

I is real ugly out there for the dealers. But they have had it coming. I hope half of them lose their A$$!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I'll have to check out Whitts.  My wife and I were up in Dumfries and stopped in at East Coast.  They're under completely new management and they're trying to improve on the lousy rep they have as a dealer.   Might be a good time to get a deal on a bike out of them.... ;)

2012 FLHXSE3

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »

You mean 2009's!!!! :oops:

Be Safe

THE DAWG
:oops:

Your right, old timers setting in.

geezerglide

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 06:28:08 AM »

:oops:

Your right, old timers setting in.geezerglide

You mean SOMETIMERS!!!!!! And if it keeps up we can call it ALLTIMERS!!!!!

It's all good.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

REGGAB

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 06:58:01 AM »

The way the economy is going there are going to be less people spending money on toys (bikes). There will be a lot of changes coming unless things change.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

???                     "Will it go 'round in circles?  Will it fly high like a bird up in the sky.........................."  BILLY PRESTON, BRUCE FISHER (1972)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 07:24:41 AM »

I wanted to add this thought to this thread.
The economy is slowing and Harley is cutting back.
I (IMHO) think it has nothing to do with quality or the lack thereof.
Everything is slowing down.

But please keep this thought in mind.
In a mans world the worse thing you can do to him is hurt his family.
The second worse thing you can do is take away his job.
There are a lot of people losing their jobs, not because they are bad or not worth a chit, it's a result of the economic condition of the economy. Please, don't anyone cheer when someone loses their job.
It could be you, a loved one or a friend.
And there is no joy in that!

Chip

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Lennyiti

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 07:28:51 AM »

Very well put. ;)

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 07:36:55 AM »

ditto
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

NukeIT

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 07:41:59 AM »

There are a lot of people losing their jobs, not because they are bad or not worth a chit, it's a result of the economic condition of the economy. Please, don't anyone cheer when someone loses their job.

Chip

You have a point, the man at the bottom always seems to suffer the most, while the company and CEO still live big
"It's not a bike, It's a lifestyle!"

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 07:51:43 AM »

The ones on the bottom always suffer.  These jobs are the good union manaufacturing jobs that go away and never return.  York has already suffered a large amount of these jobs dissappearing in the recent decade.
They only build what someone else designs.  There has been no evidence here of assembly quality in the 110s.

The MOCO has put off raising MSRP despite the increases in benefits, energy, steel, etc. while still being attractive to Wall Street.  I think the only way to maintain profit margin for the investors (management bonuses) and not raise MSRP is to lower cost of goods sold by using inferior or marginal parts from China.
So we have happy investors and somewhat happy employess and pissed off customers.  This is not a formula with a future.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 08:01:11 AM »

I for one would like to see the overcompensated American CEO's bear some of the brunt instead of the working guy trying to support his family.

James L. Ziemer     
Chief Executive Officer, President and Director, Harley-Davidson, Inc. 2323
Age Total Annual Compensation This person is connected to 23 board members in 2 different organizations across 2 different industries.

See Board Relationships
57 $875,534 USD
As of Fiscal Year 2007

BACKGROUND*
James L. Ziemer has been President and Chief Executive Officer of Harley-Davidson Inc. since April 30, 2005. Mr. Ziemer served as Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Harley-Davidson Inc., from December 1990 to April 2005. His career at Harley-Davidson has spanned more then 38 years. Mr. Ziemer has been Director of Harley-Davidson Inc., since December 2004 and Textron Inc., since March 1, 2007. He served as President of The Harley-Davidson Foundation Inc. from ... 1993 to 2006.

Read Full Background

CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS*
3700 West Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53208

United States

Phone: 414-342-4680
Fax: 414-343-4621
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERSHIPS*
2007-Present
Director and Member of Audit Committee
Textron Inc.
2005-Present
Chief Executive Officer, President and Director
Harley-Davidson, Inc.
EDUCATION*
There is no Education data available.
OTHER AFFILIATIONS*
Textron Inc. ANNUAL COMPENSATION*
Salary $875,534
Total Annual Compensation $875,534

STOCK OPTIONS*
Restricted Stock Awards $928,103
All Other Compensation $76,011
Exercisable Options 226,211
Exercisable Values $815,254
Unexercisable Options 211,654
Total Value of Options $815,254
Total Number of Options 437,865

TOTAL COMPENSATION*
Total Annual Cash Compensation $875,534
Total Short Term Compensation $875,534
Other Long Term Compensation $1,004,114
Total Calculated Compensation $4,447,713

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 08:15:20 AM »

Chip

Chip I have to agree with you. It is the working man that is going to take it. The problem I have is with the owners of the Dealerships. They have used and abused us for 18 plus years. A good friend of mine works at at dealership. They had a company meeting a few weeks ago. The owner made the statement he really didn't care what happened to anyone else that worked there, he has a lot of money and didn't need any of them.

Now how do you treat your employees like that? It is people like that, that have ruined this industry.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

Chip I have to agree with you. It is the working man that is going to take it. The problem I have is with the owners of the Dealerships. They have used and abused us for 18 plus years. A good friend of mine works at at dealership. They had a company meeting a few weeks ago. The owner made the statement he really didn't care what happened to anyone else that worked there, he has a lot of money and didn't need any of them.

Now how do you treat your employees like that? It is people like that, that have ruined this industry.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I'll bet this jerk is one of those who were late to the Harley party, and not one of those old time dealers who lived through the lean years.  Unfortunately, these sorts have ruined a lot more than just this industry.  They can be found at the upper levels of the food chain throughout our economy, strutting around like peacocks while screwing the employees and the stockholders.  Just as I was unable to shed a tear for poor Ken Lay and his poverty-pleading wife (check the off shore accounts, sweetheart), I won't be shedding tears for jerks like this dealer.  And I definitely won't be shedding tears for the folks at the top of the MoCo.  Over 700 jobs eliminated, and I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the top execs still get their perks and bonuses.  After all, they're doing a fine job cheapening the product.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 09:43:11 AM »

I'll bet this jerk is one of those who were late to the Harley party, and not one of those old time dealers who lived through the lean years.   Unfortunately, these sorts have ruined a lot more than just this industry.  They can be found at the upper levels of the food chain throughout our economy, strutting around like peacocks while screwing the employees and the stockholders.  Just as I was unable to shed a tear for poor Ken Lay and his poverty-pleading wife (check the off shore accounts, sweetheart), I won't be shedding tears for jerks like this dealer.  And I definitely won't be shedding tears for the folks at the top of the MoCo.  Over 700 jobs eliminated, and I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the top execs still get their perks and bonuses.  After all, they're doing a fine job cheapening the product.

Jerry

BINGO!!!!! Jerry you hit the nail right on the head.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hogasm

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2008, 07:11:54 PM »

Chip

And you layed off how many illegals :nixweiss:

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2008, 07:19:42 PM »

If your job is puting thing together then you need too find another job or go back too school and be somebody that doesn't need a job and and live off the tax payer dime (local fereral gov't or state gov't or county gov't) that make nothing or supply nothing.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2008, 07:19:57 PM »

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Who said it - - - Bruce Rossmeyer or Mike Shelby ?

Had to be one or the other

hogasm

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2008, 07:29:20 PM »

Harley  sent out a memo at the end of last week stopping all production of the Touring model bikes. The plants will be off line until production of the 2009 models.

While talking to the owner of the local dealership...he informed me that he plans on selling his stock short on Monday at opening bell.

He also is looking forward to the new production numbers that the MOCO is installing to all dealers. The MOCO gave dealers 3 options for the 2009 production year. The new production numbers will be based on what options the individual dealers choose. In our discussions he was looking forward to production numbers like the old days where there was a waiting list for bikes and dealers could charge as much a $5000 over MSRP for a new bike.

Is this just like the greedy dealership owners you are talking about :soapbox:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »

Harley  sent out a memo at the end of last week stopping all production of the Touring model bikes. The plants will be off line until production of the 2009 models.

While talking to the owner of the local dealership...he informed me that he plans on selling his stock short on Monday at opening bell.

He also is looking forward to the new production numbers that the MOCO is installing to all dealers. The MOCO gave dealers 3 options for the 2009 production year. The new production numbers will be based on what options the individual dealers choose. In our discussions he was looking forward to production numbers like the old days where there was a waiting list for bikes and dealers could charge as much a $5000 over MSRP for a new bike.

Is this just like the greedy dealership owners you are talking about :soapbox:
He's going to be in for a shock. :o Those price/tactics only work when the economy is flourishing and people have disposable money I think things are going to be a little different this time around. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2008, 07:39:51 PM »

He's going to be in for a shock. :o Those price/tactics only work when the economy is flourishing and people have disposable money I think things are going to be a little different this time around. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
I'm shocked that any dealer would make that kind of statement and expect someone to actually believe it at this stage in the game.  I've only talked to one recently and he was very realistic about the state of the economy and credit availability......remember, most people that buy these things have been financing them......and may were using home equity to do it.  Might be a 'soft' market all around for awhile.  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2008, 07:45:06 PM »

Spyder,
You got that right. Any dealer that would believe that now is the time to jack prices up is going to loose his business (at the least). Sometimes you eat steak, sometimes you eat bologna....... Eating is the important thing.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »

Spyder,
You got that right. Any dealer that would believe that now is the time to jack prices up is going to loose his business (at the least). Sometimes you eat steak, sometimes you eat bologna....... Eating is the important thing.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
ahhhhh, well put, GrassHopper!   ;)  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2008, 08:23:08 PM »

You know I'll never do it. I know I'll never do it, but somedays I stop and think about it. IT being buying something other than a Harley. There was a Yamaha Roadliner parked outside the restaurant Bubba_T and I had lunch at today. With the exception of the directionals looking like someone stole them off a little kiddy Buck Rogers Rocket ride, it was a cool bike. Big sucker too. Gotta go at least 100lbs more than a Road King. Design impetus is obviously an H-D Road King. Engineering is pure Japanese. Lots of little solutions looking for problems all over the bike. Waaaaaaaay overdesigned, but still as a total package a cool looking ride. Even up close. From 20 feet it's a standout. hmmmmmmmm didn't I date a girl like that once ? Okay, I'm drifting again.My point is according to the owner, you can order up the bike with a lot of different looks to suit your taste vice buyin the standard package (ala H-D) and then buying more parts. I've said this on other threads. This is where the industry is at right now in my opinion. Options without takeoffs. H-D really needs to get on this bandwagon if they want to survive. I will always own at least one Harley, but I find myself spending more time looking at bikes like this Roadliner today.

B B
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 09:22:23 PM by SPIDERMAN »

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 03:23:45 PM »

04/22  3:19P (DJ) *DJ Harley-Davidson Sees Chgs $20M-$25M >HOG
Story 9446 DJ Harley-Davidson Sees $20M-$25M Charges Related To Job Cuts
  DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson Inc. (HOG) on Tuesday said it expects to
record charges of around $20 million to $25 million related to work force
reductions.
  The Milwaukee company said all of the estimated charges will involve
severance benefits, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
  Harley-Davidson said it believes substantially of all of the charges will
result in cash expenditures, although the timing of the expenditures will
vary. It expects to record all of the charges in 2008, the SEC filing said.
  The company reported plans to cut 370 unionized jobs and 360 non-unionized
jobs in a press release last Thursday.

-Gee L. Lee, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-1346

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
  04-22-08 1548ET
  Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 03:51:47 PM by 110mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 07:41:33 PM »

Harley is doing fine in some very difficult economic times. Yes sales and profits are down but they have made 2 very smart adjustments that will help them turn the corner quickly: (1) They have acually been REDUCING motorcycle inventory by cutting production faster than their sales declines (2) They have reduced expenses to get in line with their operating expenses. You will see dealer inventories get pretty lean before the 09's start rolling in.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 10:44:30 PM »

k2,we can tell about the reality with the factory/dealer /public relationship and some will get it some won't.  Some dealers get it, some won't. Some customers will just say FTF, then pull there skirts back down and bitch some more.. I have been riding a long time (34 years) on Harley's and have seen the good and the bad and a lot of people have a good reason to complain to a point. If the twin cam area and others areas are going to a whipping post against the factory for those who wont get therapy I now ask the moderators to get involved and give the kids there own play pen and us purist a break. We know the 110 motor has problems. It took the factory 6 years or better to come up with a fix for the cam tensioners. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:50:18 AM by AXIL »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 11:02:16 PM »

k2,we can tell about the reality with the factory/dealer /public relationship and some will git it some wont,  some dealers git it, some wont. some customers will just say FTF  then pull there skirts back down and bitch some more..  i have been riding along time(34 years) on Harley's and have seen the good and the bad and alot of people have a good reason to complain to a point. but if the twin cam area and others is going to a whipping post against the factory for those who wont get therapy i now ask the moterators to get invalved and give the kids there own play pen and us purist a break

You are kidding right?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 11:08:51 PM »

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 07:47:48 AM »

k2,we can tell about the reality with the factory/dealer /public relationship and some will git it some wont,  some dealers git it, some wont. some customers will just say FTF  then pull there skirts back down and bitch some more..  i have been riding along time(34 years) on Harley's and have seen the good and the bad and alot of people have a good reason to complain to a point. but if the twin cam area and others is going to a whipping post against the factory for those who wont get therapy i now ask the moterators to get invalved and give the kids there own play pen and us purist a break
Axil - you my friend are one funny MF'er!!

Howie

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 08:08:39 AM »

And you layed off how many illegals :nixweiss:

Brian

NONE!

Illegal workers (in my type of work) typically work for subcontractors and you don't lay off subcontractors.
You know the drill, you just stop calling them when there is nothing for them to do.
You know that!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 08:27:37 AM »

It seems that every month or two, someone wanders to this site and declares that the people involved in the TwinCamGate scandal are whiners.  Inviting discussion is one thing, but spewing without any facts or experience except that you are a loyalist (whatever the hell that means) is idiotic.  I believe in the First Ammendment so go for it.  I also believe in the Second Ammendment.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 08:30:02 AM »

It seems that every month or two, someone wanders to this site and declares that the people involved in the TwinCamGate scandal are whiners.  Inviting discussion is one thing, but spewing without any facts or experience except that you are a loyalist (whatever the hell that means) is idiotic.  I believe in the First Ammendment so go for it.  I also believe in the Second Ammendment.
I'm hoping it's just a feeble attempt to fan the flames  :huepfenlol2:

Howie

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 08:52:26 AM »

...........................  i have been riding along time(34 years) on Harley's and have seen the good and the bad and alot of people have a good reason to complain to a point. but if the twin cam area and others is going to a whipping post against the factory for those who wont get therapy i now ask the moterators to get invalved and give the kids there own play pen and us purist a break

What does "therapy" consist of for folks who realize they just pissed away almost as much as the average American makes in a year on a POS Harley that has all the reliability of a Yugo, while the MoCo blows them off with lies?  Buy some more overpriced Chinese chrome at your friendly dealership while your bike sits in the cue back in service?  That has been the response of way too many over the years, and is one of the main reasons the MoCo can get away with treating customers like excrement.  The therapy I recommend is more along the lines of "tough love", and it starts with placing your wallet firmly back into your pocket and leaving it there until H-D gets serious about proper quality, reliability, and customer service.  If the apologists for H-D want to keep on grabbing their ankles, hey, it's still a relatively free country.  Unlike the place where they are sourcing most of their parts nowdays.

Jerry

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »

I just got back from my therapist opthamologist and he said that my outlook on the MoCo is healthy, even for a loyalist.  (I guess there's a certain number of years you have to ride an HD to be called a loyalist... :nixweiss:) So I'll just happily continue complaining discussing about the piss-poor attitude limited responses of the MoCo to its customers.   ???

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:55:56 AM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2008, 09:57:46 AM »

If the MOCO can't fix the bikes maybe they can pass out Prozac to fix us? 

HD probably laid of the people assigned to fix the 110.  It's probably end of life anyway.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2008, 10:06:26 AM »

What does "therapy" consist of for folks who realize they just pissed away almost as much as the average American makes in a year on a POS Harley that has all the reliability of a Yugo, while the MoCo blows them off with lies?  Buy some more overpriced Chinese chrome at your friendly dealership while your bike sits in the cue back in service?  That has been the response of way too many over the years, and is one of the main reasons the MoCo can get away with treating customers like excrement.  The therapy I recommend is more along the lines of "tough love", and it starts with placing your wallet firmly back into your pocket and leaving it there until H-D gets serious about proper quality, reliability, and customer service.  If the apologists for H-D want to keep on grabbing their ankles, hey, it's still a relatively free country.  Unlike the place where they are sourcing most of their parts nowdays.

Jerry

DAMN JERRY!!!!!!! I DON'T THINK I COULD HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER!!!!!

I think the point Axil was trying to make is. We all know the 110 motor has some major problems. If you look in the twin cam section you will see majority of the posts are about 110 problems. Most of the problems are about the leaks. I too get tired of reading the same old same old. The posts about the problems are now everywhere in this site, not just in the twin cam section. I do feel for you guys. If you look in the past. It took the MOCO 6 years or better to come up with a fix for the cam tensioners. We ( or some of us ) bitched, moaned and complained. You now hear nothing about them, except in the older models. I know for a fact HD is working on a solution for the 110 problem. What it is or what it will be I have no idea.  

I just wish they would come up with a fix real soon, so we can move on to bigger and better things. Like how can I make my 110 scream!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2008, 10:08:24 AM »

I think he may have more experience than anyone on this board!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2008, 10:13:17 AM »

I think the point Axil was trying to make is. We all know the 110 motor has some major problems. If you look in the twin cam section you will see majority of the posts are about 110 problems. Most of the problems are about the leaks. I too get tired of reading the same old same old. The posts about the problems are now everywhere in this site, not just in the twin cam section. I do feel for you guys. If you look in the past. It took the MOCO 6 years or better to come up with a fix for the cam tensioners. We ( or some of us ) bitched, moaned and complained. You now hear nothing about them, except in the older models. I know for a fact HD is working on a solution for the 110 problem. What it is or what it will be I have no idea.  

I just wish they would come up with a fix real soon, so we can move on to bigger and better things. Like how can I make my 110 scream!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Dawg, You're going to love this.  I talked to the performance guy at the dealership I bought my SEUC about gettting some more torque and ponies out of the old 110 and asked him what I should do.  First thing he said was get rid of the stock crank and also do the Timken conversion...he stated that right now he doesn't recommend going any further with the 110 other than stage one because the crank is just not designed well enough to handle much more torque.  He said he put in whatever I wanted, but he said if I put too much torque on that crank, I'll end up imploding the engine.  Interesting huh?

2012 FLHXSE3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »

I think he may have more experience than anyone on this board!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Then I would think he'd be a little bit kinder and more sympathetic to these people's issues then. This is no joking matter when people spend 35 grand of their hard earned money to get the bike of their dreams, only to find they've just entered hell instead. Anyone bored with reading about the 110's should just not read it. I have a feeling you're gonna keep hearing about it more and more as time passes, until they all get fixed. But calling people whiners because they don't know where to turn on this, while having HD treat them like idiots, surely doesn't help at all! ;)

Hoist! 8)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »

Be Safe

THE DAWG

You have one DAWG?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2008, 10:48:07 AM »

You have one DAWG?

Absolutely not. I have had to opportunity to buy 3. I will not take the plunge till the problems are resolved or I make up my mind to go right to a 120. Plain and simple. I do have 2 103's and really like them.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2008, 10:51:45 AM »

Dawg, You're going to love this.  I talked to the performance guy at the dealership I bought my SEUC about getting some more torque and ponies out of the old 110 and asked him what I should do.  First thing he said was get rid of the stock crank and also do the Timken conversion...he stated that right now he doesn't recommend going any further with the 110 other than stage one because the crank is just not designed well enough to handle much more torque.  He said he put in whatever I wanted, but he said if I put too much torque on that crank, I'll end up imploding the engine.  Interesting huh?

There you go.

At least he has enough gonads to tell the customer. The problems started when they changed the crank/bearing assemblies. That was in 03. The early 103's would hold up but again the timken is a must. Welding the flywheels is not a major issue if you aren't pulling holeshots with the bike. If you do weld them toooo!!!!

Be Safe

TH DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2008, 11:03:39 AM »

Then I would think he'd be a little bit kinder and more sympathetic to these people's issues then. This is no joking matter when people spend 35 grand of their hard earned money to get the bike of their dreams, only to find they've just entered hell instead. Anyone bored with reading about the 110's should just not read it. I have a feeling you're gonna keep hearing about it more and more as time passes, until they all get fixed. But calling people whiners because they don't know where to turn on this, while having HD treat them like idiots, surely doesn't help at all! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie believe me he does. It is a problem that has no fix as of yet. What good does it do to come on here and rant and rave about a problem that has been around for 2 years????

We know the problem exsists. Now if you want to impress everyone here POST ABOUT THE FIX!!!!!! Hell I wish I could and beat everyone to it.

As far as no where to turn, I agree. The MOCO left you and a bunch of others hanging out to dry. What good does it do to air it here EVERYDAY?????? You are good at organizeing events. Go find a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit and get everyone with a 110 involved. That might be the solution to the problem right now.

Get in the MOCO's pocket DEEP. Maybe the fix will be a new motor.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »

Howie believe me he does. It is a problem that has no fix as of yet. What good does it do to come on here and rant and rave about a problem that has been around for 2 years????

We know the problem exsists. Now if you want to impress everyone here POST ABOUT THE FIX!!!!!! Hell I wish I could and beat everyone to it.

As far as no where to turn, I agree. The MOCO left you and a bunch of others hanging out to dry. What good does it do to air it here EVERYDAY?????? You are good at organizeing events. Go find a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit and get everyone with a 110 involved. That might be the solution to the problem right now.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Hehe, where ya been Mike. What do you think I've been posting about since Dec. THE FIX. The fix my way! Take 8500 bucks out of my pocket, FTF & FTW, and build your own engine. New cases, S&S crank, Timken conversion, everything available Feuling, Axtell barrels, CP pistons, and worked heads with no HD parts left in em! To me, that's the only fix.

I tried going this route after the 1st failure, only to be screwed by an HD dealer that didn't know how to assemble an engine properly. Nothing lost then but my time, since they were charging all the labor to w.....ty. So I then went to a real engine builder that I know personally and he built me an entire engine, from the ground up, using most of the parts we used on the first attempt.

So I now have a completely custom built 110 in my bike, fully paid for by me, so I don't have to bitch and whine about my bike breaking. 8500 bucks out of my pocket to get that privilege, with no help or satisfaction from the MoCo. And lawyers ain't my style. Riding my bike is. And it's gotta be strong and reliable. I knew what I had to do to get that, and that's what I did. Others aren't necessarily in that boat, or have the desire to do anything but rely on the Factory.

Am I happy spending 8500 bucks out of my pocket after spending 32 grand on the bike itself? F NO!!! But I did what I have to because I can't go thru the crap everyone else is now. Complaining about people complaining, is worse than hearing all the bitching about these 110's! So let em vent a little man! No skin off your nose. AXIL's either!!! ;)

ADDED: And BTW Mike, don't you think that all this documentation here of everyone's issues will help them should they later decide to go the legal route? Nothing but good can come from everyone discussing and documenting these issues here!

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:56:38 AM by Hoist! »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »

Be Safe

THE DAWG

It's does a lot of good to know there is a new version of gasket so your dealer doesn't install the known bad ones.  It's also nice to update the dealer about liner issues, crank runout issues.  If this site did not exist, I would not have known there was a known problem, others would be buying more of these, I would not not have known to have the crank checked which led to a new motor.  Remember the leak is a leak, but the crank issue is terminal.
This site is HD's conscience well as up to the minute tech support source of info.  I think this pales the cam bearing issue.  I had a 2000 and never had the issue in the 30K miles I rode it.  And the MOCO actually sent letters and covered the part for 50K miles.  We haven't got squat.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2008, 11:50:11 AM »

I think this pales the cam bearing issue.  I had a 2000 and never had the issue in the 30K miles I rode it.  And the MOCO actually sent letters and covered the part for 50K miles.  We haven't got squat.

Well, now that I've got 52K miles on mine, I guess I'm 'on my own', huh?  :nervous:  spyder

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2008, 05:49:20 PM »

................................... If you look in the past. It took the MOCO 6 years or better to come up with a fix for the cam tensioners. We ( or some of us ) bitched, moaned and complained. ................................................
Be Safe

THE DAWG

Dawg, the chain tensioner issue illustrates exactly why I have no faith in H-D doing the right thing with the 110's.  The original TC cam drive was seriously flawed, both from a premature wear and a timing variation perspective.  The problems surfaced early in the 7 year life of that original design, and even though H-D knew a large percentage of tensioners were failing, with some doing major damage in the process, they never implemented a service program to repair them at MoCo expense, nor did they even add a warning to the maintenance schedule to have them checked at specific mileage intervals. Failure to officially acknowledge a problem means the problem doesn't exist, at least in Milwaukee.    

Jerry

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2008, 07:11:35 PM »

It's does a lot of good to know there is a new version of gasket so your dealer doesn't install the known bad ones.  It's also nice to update the dealer about liner issues, crank runout issues.  If this site did not exist, I would not have known there was a known problem, others would be buying more of these, I would not not have known to have the crank checked which led to a new motor.  Remember the leak is a leak, but the crank issue is terminal.
This site is HD's conscience well as up to the minute tech support source of info.  I think this pales the cam bearing issue.  I had a 2000 and never had the issue in the 30K miles I rode it.  And the MOCO actually sent letters and covered the part for 50K miles.  We haven't got squat.

You can't have squat if they don't have a fix. Why would they give you something they don't have????? The gasket change is just a band aid till a solution is found.

The crank isssue is something entirely different. THAT IS A PROBLEM THEY CAN SOLVE!!!!!! But they problem exsists because they tried to save money in engine assenbly labor. That problem is BS!!!!! I had it also. I choose not to come on here and bitch. I had it fixed and am very happy with it now.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2008, 07:13:43 PM »

Dawg, the chain tensioner issue illustrates exactly why I have no faith in H-D doing the right thing with the 110's. The original TC cam drive was seriously flawed, both from a premature wear and a timing variation perspective.  The problems surfaced early in the 7 year life of that original design, and even though H-D knew a large percentage of tensioners were failing, with some doing major damage in the process, they never implemented a service program to repair them at MoCo expense, nor did they even add a warning to the maintenance schedule to have them checked at specific mileage intervals. Failure to officially acknowledge a problem means the problem doesn't exist, at least in Milwaukee.    

Jerry

Jerry I agree. I went to a gear drive at 10k. I would have done it anyway as I was changing cams. But the fact is I would of had to of done something to save my engine.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2008, 07:14:49 PM »

Well, now that I've got 52K miles on mine, I guess I'm 'on my own', huh?  :nervous:  spyder

Damn Spy I never thought that was a bad place to be!!!!!! :orange:

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »

OK,OK, alright !  I made a statement that I believe in and I made a mistake making it personal.  For that I sincerely apologise.  And for that I was ridiculed.and for that it was said that I was a newbie and should not speak up and was also threaten with the 2nd amendment. I bet I have starred down more weapons then you have. I still stand with keeping it in one thread .thats my Frost amendment rights, and i still apologize for getting personal.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:09:54 AM by AXIL »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2008, 10:43:01 PM »

ok,ok ,alright !  i made a statement that i believe in and i made a mistake making it personal.  for that i sincerely apologise.  and for that i was ridiculed.  and for that it was said  that i was a newbe and should not speak up and was also threaten with the 2nd amendment. i bet i have starred down more weapons then you have.  i still stand with keeping it in one thread .thats my frist amendment rights, and i still apologise for gittin personal.

AXIL
     1st off, your not a newbie anymore, so our way of welcoming you to junior member status is to pick on you. Next, unless you say something personally offensive to someone NEVER apologize for your opinion. It's your right. DAWG didn't get his nickname from being bashful but he's a good dude and cool, so let it run off like water on a duck ok ?  And by the way if I missed your entrance to our great site when you joined awhile back. WELCOME

B B

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2008, 10:57:45 PM »

ok,ok ,alright !  i made a statement that i believe in and i made a mistake making it personal.  for that i sincerely apologise.  and for that i was ridiculed.  and for that it was said  that i was a newbe and should not speak up and was also threaten with the 2nd amendment. i bet i have starred down more weapons then you have.  i still stand with keeping it in one thread .thats my frist amendment rights, and i still apologise for gittin personal.

Welcome, Axil.  You have to realize that some of us are a bit sensitive as owners of this fiasco.  We have missed vacations, broken down on the road, etc.  As a matter of fact, last year, a few of us asked for a separate Topic heading for the 110 motor issues and were denied.  Read what you want, contribute what you can but please don't add to the stress this has caused many of our members. 
Thanks 

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2008, 10:58:29 PM »

tough crowd here.  I have a 110 and am thinking it might be any day now.  It won't cost me any sleep when it breaks.  It's only parts.  I will, however, come here 1st and look at EVERY post in the TC section getting the best information I can on dealing with the MoCo on how to get it fixed.  That gives me even more confidence in riding it and in the information I get here.  PLEASE!  Whine away and keep them coming!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »

Thank you Spiderman,  I did vent but I did get personal and I hope my apology is accepted. I have been friends with DC for almost 50 years,and your right , he's good man. may be I will meet you and some of the other people on this site this year. I am really looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:11:55 AM by AXIL »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2008, 11:05:17 PM »

thank you spiderman,  i did vent but i did get personal and i hope my apology is accepted. i have been friends with mike for almost 50 years.  and your right , he's good man. my be i will meet you and some of the other people on this site this year. look foward to it.
Damn Bro that's got to be worth an award. :huepfenlol2:

Seriously Mike is alright for a "Truckie" ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2008, 11:18:22 PM »

Hey guys thanks for chiming in, Dawg is at the top of my list of hero's, I have heard al ot and seen a lot. We were vollies at station 3 in Rockville Md. He's a stand up guy. I could tell you more but I'm a slow typer, and he might get embarrassed. You all have a good night and happy motoring
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:14:55 AM by AXIL »

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2008, 11:46:10 PM »

Also as another having been afflicted with the 110 issues, I do not find it boring or redundant to be discussing it. In fact, I rely solely on this forum to keep abreast of any new developments. Where else would you go for info on a problem that doesn't exist?  I have yet been able to find the enthusiasm to pick up my ride from the dealership where it has been for over seven months waiting for a possible fix. I have little reason or desire to ride it until I am convinced that it will perform at least for a  riding season before I must return it to the dealer for repair. It has been repaired using the original 07A gasket set. I probably should have saved the 9k I just invested on a trailer to haul it back and forth and gone the "Sybil" route.  >:(

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2008, 12:36:19 AM »

Serkcus, I have stated and amended my thoughts. I am here to learn and help. I find it redundant only in the fact that at this point the same topic is in multiple threads. I have known about this problem for well over a year and a half and so have many others. I am not going ha ha mine is a 103, which it is.  I want to see a fix almost as bad as you.

Seven months, I don't know what to say, but I don't have a fix. Unless you go with the after market. Yes it sucks but thats not my point....less venting in so many threads and more solution's. there are a lot of people on this site that have fixed there problems so lets here more positive and less negative. I wish you luck and I really mean it

AXIL
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:19:34 AM by AXIL »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2008, 12:51:28 AM »

Axil,
Welcome to the site from another fellow Virginian...don't know how I missed your coming on to the site.  Never be afraid to say what you feel here...as you can see none of us are.  One of the great things about this site is the information we share...even if it's b*tching, it's life's experience that we can take to the dealer and tell them things the MoCo's not.  If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't have known about the latest and greatest band aid gasket the MoCo is offering this week for the head leaking problems.  My dealer didn't even know about them, until I told him about them...We all look forward to your posts and sharing your wealth of riding experiences with us.  That's what's so great about this place....again welcome and have fun.  :)

2012 FLHXSE3

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2008, 03:02:59 AM »

Damn Bro that's got to be worth an award. :huepfenlol2:

Seriously Mike is alright for a "Truckie" ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks to all for the kind words. This is a great site where I have many friends and family to boot. This really is a good place to hang around.

Well I guess the "CAT" is out of the bag now. Axil and I have been running the streets for a very long time. Almost since the days we were wearing diapers. It is hard to think back that far. He is more than a friend he is a "MY BEST FRIEND". Many years ago we went in separate directions in our careers. I became a Firefighter and he became an HD mechanic. He is one of the most respected in the industry. No I am not blowing his horn either.  He is a wealth of information and I was the one who talked him into joining this great site. He knows what everyone is going through. There is a fix on the way. No one knows when or how but the factory is working on it.

We did talk tonight and we both agree "WE FEEL YOUR PAIN". The problems all the 110 owners are having is very sad to say the least. I just hope the MOCO comes up with a fix SOON. The amount of money spent on buying a CVO is bad enough. When you buy one you go into an elite group. When you bought an 07 or 08 model you went into another elite group. A 110 owner.

Be Safe

THE DAWG   
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:22:01 AM by DCFIREMANN »
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2008, 06:57:31 AM »

Thanks Mike and Axil for understanding. I really value both you guys input. Excellent stuff. This is a sore subject for many. Used to be for me. Keep coming with your great tech stuff. I learn a lot from you guys! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2008, 08:01:53 AM »

greetings everybody,  hope you have a great time tonight and tomorrow.  wish i could be there but it is spring and i'am waiting on a set of bandaids for a 110 springer.  the weather looks good so happy motoring.  axil

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2008, 09:41:58 AM »

Thanks Mike and Axil for understanding. I really value both you guys input. Excellent stuff. This is a sore subject for many. Used to be for me. Keep coming with your great tech stuff. I learn a lot from you guys! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Howie,
Not to diss what you've done to your bike, but it should still be a sore subject for you.  You should not have had to of put $8500 into a $30K motorcycle to "make it right".  :-X   I know you're going to be much happier with the new build and the additional feelings you're going to get with all that new power and torque, but you shouldn't have had to of basically buy a new engine to achieve those results.  We all know that relatively few leave their bikes stock, but to have to do what you did to make it right, is absolutely reprehensible, imo, on the MoCo's part.  Ride safe.

2012 FLHXSE3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2008, 09:46:47 AM »

Howie,
Not to diss what you've done to your bike, but it should still be a sore subject for you.  You should not have had to of put $8500 into a $30K motorcycle to "make it right".  :-X   I know you're going to be much happier with the new build and the additional feelings you're going to get with all that new power and torque, but you shouldn't have had to of basically buy a new engine to achieve those results.  We all know that relatively few leave their bikes stock, but to have to do what you did to make it right, is absolutely reprehensible, imo, on the MoCo's part.  Ride safe.

Well, ya gotta move on with your life too Charlie. That was the purpose for doing it in the first place. That, and the fact that I always loved the HD motor design, but a factory motor was never built good enough, strong enough, or powerful enough for me anyway! What's done is done. I'm happy with the way it runs now. It is what it is. I'd just like to see you guys with no other alternatives, be made whole again, so you can move on with your lives too! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2008, 09:57:21 AM »

Well, ya gotta move on with your life too Charlie. That was the purpose for doing it in the first place. That, and the fact that I always loved the HD motor design, but a factory motor was never built good enough, strong enough, or powerful enough for me anyway! What's done is done. I'm happy with the way it runs now. It is what it is. I'd just like to see you guys with no other alternatives, be made whole again, so you can move on with your lives too! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
Understand Howie.  It really doesn't boil down to not having alternatives, it's really forcing a manufacturer to follow through and make right what is, obviously, a poorly tested engine before they put it out in the general populace.  I'm already a beta tester for Microsoft when I buy a piece of software and have grown accustom to eagerly awaiting the arrival of Service Pack 1 to fix all the mistakes that should have been caught before being declared "ready" for the public.  I never expected to be a beta tester for the MoCo also.  Ugh...sorry for the rant.  :soapbox:

2012 FLHXSE3

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2008, 11:10:46 PM »

Axil, appreciate reading your posts and a belated welcome aboard.  :) Sorry to have sounded like another bitter HD owner. :-[ On a better note, snowed about 12 inches here today, thanks to those Wyoming folks who, it's reported  sent the stuff up here so no need to worry about picking up my ride for a least another few days..sigh 

I guess another way of looking at these 110 problems is that if/when we get a permanent fix, it will be like xmas :bananarock:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2008, 05:24:18 PM »

Well on the tour at the factory today. Low and behold the touring assembly was shut down for the day. Yep that is right every Friday the will produce no touring models till the 2009 change over. That is a budget cut.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »

Well that explains the leakers. Close down Thursday nite and forget what you were working on Monday! :o

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2008, 12:33:32 AM »

Serkus,
            Where you been dude ? Seems like I haven't seen your name on the board in quite awhile.

B B

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »

Well on the tour at the factory today. Low and behold the touring assembly was shut down for the day. Yep that is right every Friday the will produce no touring models till the 2009 change over. That is a budget cut.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

That beats shutting the line down all together-come on BUY MORE CHROME- we'll reverse this recession as a group!

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2008, 01:47:50 PM »

That beats shutting the line down all together-come on BUY MORE CHROME- we'll reverse this recession as a group!

WhachutalkinboutCapo ?

We're already the MoCo's profit margin.

My $20,000 2007 Road Glide is as I sit here today, a $40,000 Faux SERG It's about $1,000 away from having more chrome than Elvis and that bike is sooooooooo chromed out it's - - - - - well that's how it came to be named Elvis. I'm doing my part as are you (with TWO CVO's) and every other brother and sister on this site. We ARE the bling bling of the H-D world. Not much more we can do unless we all buy sidecars so there's more places to hang the bling.

B B

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »

Not much more we can do unless we all buy sidecars so there's more places to hang the bling.

B B
Uh Oh... :-\..there's that never-ending thought that swims around in the recesses of my mind ..... Brian brings it up.  8)  No more room in the garage.. :nixweiss:...gotta figure something out.  :confused5: aaaaargh.  spyder

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2008, 06:49:52 PM »

WhachutalkinboutCapo ?

We're already the MoCo's profit margin.

My $20,000 2007 Road Glide is as I sit here today, a $40,000 Faux SERG It's about $1,000 away from having more chrome than Elvis and that bike is sooooooooo chromed out it's - - - - - well that's how it came to be named Elvis. I'm doing my part as are you (with TWO CVO's) and every other brother and sister on this site. We ARE the bling bling of the H-D world. Not much more we can do unless we all buy sidecars so there's more places to hang the bling.

B B

Uh oh, I better stop adding to the Nana and get some new bling for Elvis.

Hell, what am I talking about, there is nothing I can add to Elvis.  Hell when someone gets under the bags and gets a chrome rear caliper and chrome shocks, which fall under "stealth chrome", you know they've run out of ideas.  Hell BB do I need to take a flashlight and see if you chromed the inside of the gas tank? HD and Kury need to get on it and come up with some new bling. ;D ;D ;D

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »

Uh oh, I better stop adding to the Nana and get some new bling for Elvis.

Hell, what am I talking about, there is nothing I can add to Elvis.  Hell when someone gets under the bags and gets a chrome rear caliper and chrome shocks, which fall under "stealth chrome", you know they've run out of ideas.  Hell BB do I need to take a flashlight and see if you chromed the inside of the gas tank? HD and Kury need to get on it and come up with some new bling. ;D ;D ;D

Mark,
        Check out the Kuryakn Tappet Block Accent, the hidden air horns that tuck inside of the saddlebags behind the shocks and the right rear lower frame cover that will compliment the mid frame covers you already have on the bike. It covers up that big ugly brkt/frame mess that the passenger footboard brkts boldt to. Also, you could pull the swingarm and have it chromed. Talk to Hogasm if you decided to do this. On the H-D side of things, there is the new H-D exhaust brkt covers. Also, the H-D Chrome Rear Fender Extension w/light.

Beyond that, my long range plan for Elvis hads been eventually to do some stuff in GOLD buddy. The wire wheel spokes, the trim rings around the headlight, spotlamps, directionals and speedo. There's a company that can plate the plastic trim rings. Hell, according to what I saw, they can plate a skull. Anyway, that was always the plan. Once I ran out of places to chrome, change a small amount of it to gold to accent the chrome and add to the cache of the bike as being totally exclusive.

Does that give you something to work on ?

B B
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 07:17:56 PM by SPIDERMAN »

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2008, 03:41:30 PM »

05/19  3:15P (DJ) *DJ Harley-Davidson Funding $1B Rule 144A Notes Rated 'A'>
Story 6032 PRESS RELEASE: S&P/Harley-Davidson Funding $1B Rule 144A Notes
   The following is a press release from Standard & Poor's.

CHICAGO (Standard & Poor's) May 19, 2008--Standard & Poor's Ratings Services
today said it assigned an 'A' rating to Harley-Davidson Funding Corp.'s Rule
144A $1 billion 6.8% medium-term series C notes due 2018.
  "We expect proceeds to be used to repay commercial paper borrowings and for
general corporate purposes," explained Standard & Poor's credit analyst Andy
Liu.
  The notes are guaranteed jointly and severally by Harley-Davidson Financial
Services and Harley-Davidson Credit Corp.
  The ratings on Harley-Davidson, including the 'A' corporate credit rating,
were placed on CreditWatch with negative implications on April 18, 2008 based
on the deteriorating outlook for the motorcycle market in the U.S.
  Milwaukee, Wis.-based Harley-Davidson is the only major U.S.-based
motorcycle manufacturer. Total debt outstanding was $2.1 billion as of March
30, 2008.
  Ratings List
New Rating
  Harley-Davidson Funding Corp.
Rule144A $1B 6.8% notes                 A/Watch Neg

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
  05-19-08 1522ET
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 21 queries.