Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: HD Cuts Jobs as Profits Skid....  (Read 8723 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: HD Cuts Jobs as Profits Skid....
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

Chip I have to agree with you. It is the working man that is going to take it. The problem I have is with the owners of the Dealerships. They have used and abused us for 18 plus years. A good friend of mine works at at dealership. They had a company meeting a few weeks ago. The owner made the statement he really didn't care what happened to anyone else that worked there, he has a lot of money and didn't need any of them.

Now how do you treat your employees like that? It is people like that, that have ruined this industry.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I'll bet this jerk is one of those who were late to the Harley party, and not one of those old time dealers who lived through the lean years.  Unfortunately, these sorts have ruined a lot more than just this industry.  They can be found at the upper levels of the food chain throughout our economy, strutting around like peacocks while screwing the employees and the stockholders.  Just as I was unable to shed a tear for poor Ken Lay and his poverty-pleading wife (check the off shore accounts, sweetheart), I won't be shedding tears for jerks like this dealer.  And I definitely won't be shedding tears for the folks at the top of the MoCo.  Over 700 jobs eliminated, and I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the top execs still get their perks and bonuses.  After all, they're doing a fine job cheapening the product.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 09:43:11 AM »

I'll bet this jerk is one of those who were late to the Harley party, and not one of those old time dealers who lived through the lean years.   Unfortunately, these sorts have ruined a lot more than just this industry.  They can be found at the upper levels of the food chain throughout our economy, strutting around like peacocks while screwing the employees and the stockholders.  Just as I was unable to shed a tear for poor Ken Lay and his poverty-pleading wife (check the off shore accounts, sweetheart), I won't be shedding tears for jerks like this dealer.  And I definitely won't be shedding tears for the folks at the top of the MoCo.  Over 700 jobs eliminated, and I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the top execs still get their perks and bonuses.  After all, they're doing a fine job cheapening the product.

Jerry

BINGO!!!!! Jerry you hit the nail right on the head.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hogasm

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2008, 07:11:54 PM »

I wanted to add this thought to this thread.
The economy is slowing and Harley is cutting back.
I (IMHO) think it has nothing to do with quality or the lack thereof.
Everything is slowing down.

But please keep this thought in mind.
In a mans world the worse thing you can do to him is hurt his family.
The second worse thing you can do is take away his job.
There are a lot of people losing their jobs, not because they are bad or not worth a chit, it's a result of the economic condition of the economy. Please, don't anyone cheer when someone loses their job.
It could be you, a loved one or a friend.
And there is no joy in that!

Chip

And you layed off how many illegals :nixweiss:

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2008, 07:19:42 PM »

If your job is puting thing together then you need too find another job or go back too school and be somebody that doesn't need a job and and live off the tax payer dime (local fereral gov't or state gov't or county gov't) that make nothing or supply nothing.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2008, 07:19:57 PM »

Chip I have to agree with you. It is the working man that is going to take it. The problem I have is with the owners of the Dealerships. They have used and abused us for 18 plus years. A good friend of mine works at at dealership. They had a company meeting a few weeks ago. The owner made the statement he really didn't care what happened to anyone else that worked there, he has a lot of money and didn't need any of them.

Now how do you treat your employees like that? It is people like that, that have ruined this industry.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Who said it - - - Bruce Rossmeyer or Mike Shelby ?

Had to be one or the other

hogasm

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2008, 07:29:20 PM »

Harley  sent out a memo at the end of last week stopping all production of the Touring model bikes. The plants will be off line until production of the 2009 models.

While talking to the owner of the local dealership...he informed me that he plans on selling his stock short on Monday at opening bell.

He also is looking forward to the new production numbers that the MOCO is installing to all dealers. The MOCO gave dealers 3 options for the 2009 production year. The new production numbers will be based on what options the individual dealers choose. In our discussions he was looking forward to production numbers like the old days where there was a waiting list for bikes and dealers could charge as much a $5000 over MSRP for a new bike.

Is this just like the greedy dealership owners you are talking about :soapbox:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »

Harley  sent out a memo at the end of last week stopping all production of the Touring model bikes. The plants will be off line until production of the 2009 models.

While talking to the owner of the local dealership...he informed me that he plans on selling his stock short on Monday at opening bell.

He also is looking forward to the new production numbers that the MOCO is installing to all dealers. The MOCO gave dealers 3 options for the 2009 production year. The new production numbers will be based on what options the individual dealers choose. In our discussions he was looking forward to production numbers like the old days where there was a waiting list for bikes and dealers could charge as much a $5000 over MSRP for a new bike.

Is this just like the greedy dealership owners you are talking about :soapbox:
He's going to be in for a shock. :o Those price/tactics only work when the economy is flourishing and people have disposable money I think things are going to be a little different this time around. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2008, 07:39:51 PM »

He's going to be in for a shock. :o Those price/tactics only work when the economy is flourishing and people have disposable money I think things are going to be a little different this time around. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
I'm shocked that any dealer would make that kind of statement and expect someone to actually believe it at this stage in the game.  I've only talked to one recently and he was very realistic about the state of the economy and credit availability......remember, most people that buy these things have been financing them......and may were using home equity to do it.  Might be a 'soft' market all around for awhile.  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2008, 07:45:06 PM »

Spyder,
You got that right. Any dealer that would believe that now is the time to jack prices up is going to loose his business (at the least). Sometimes you eat steak, sometimes you eat bologna....... Eating is the important thing.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »

Spyder,
You got that right. Any dealer that would believe that now is the time to jack prices up is going to loose his business (at the least). Sometimes you eat steak, sometimes you eat bologna....... Eating is the important thing.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
ahhhhh, well put, GrassHopper!   ;)  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2008, 08:23:08 PM »

You know I'll never do it. I know I'll never do it, but somedays I stop and think about it. IT being buying something other than a Harley. There was a Yamaha Roadliner parked outside the restaurant Bubba_T and I had lunch at today. With the exception of the directionals looking like someone stole them off a little kiddy Buck Rogers Rocket ride, it was a cool bike. Big sucker too. Gotta go at least 100lbs more than a Road King. Design impetus is obviously an H-D Road King. Engineering is pure Japanese. Lots of little solutions looking for problems all over the bike. Waaaaaaaay overdesigned, but still as a total package a cool looking ride. Even up close. From 20 feet it's a standout. hmmmmmmmm didn't I date a girl like that once ? Okay, I'm drifting again.My point is according to the owner, you can order up the bike with a lot of different looks to suit your taste vice buyin the standard package (ala H-D) and then buying more parts. I've said this on other threads. This is where the industry is at right now in my opinion. Options without takeoffs. H-D really needs to get on this bandwagon if they want to survive. I will always own at least one Harley, but I find myself spending more time looking at bikes like this Roadliner today.

B B
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 09:22:23 PM by SPIDERMAN »

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 03:23:45 PM »

04/22  3:19P (DJ) *DJ Harley-Davidson Sees Chgs $20M-$25M >HOG
Story 9446 DJ Harley-Davidson Sees $20M-$25M Charges Related To Job Cuts
  DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson Inc. (HOG) on Tuesday said it expects to
record charges of around $20 million to $25 million related to work force
reductions.
  The Milwaukee company said all of the estimated charges will involve
severance benefits, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
  Harley-Davidson said it believes substantially of all of the charges will
result in cash expenditures, although the timing of the expenditures will
vary. It expects to record all of the charges in 2008, the SEC filing said.
  The company reported plans to cut 370 unionized jobs and 360 non-unionized
jobs in a press release last Thursday.

-Gee L. Lee, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-1346

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
  04-22-08 1548ET
  Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 03:51:47 PM by 110mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 07:41:33 PM »

Harley is doing fine in some very difficult economic times. Yes sales and profits are down but they have made 2 very smart adjustments that will help them turn the corner quickly: (1) They have acually been REDUCING motorcycle inventory by cutting production faster than their sales declines (2) They have reduced expenses to get in line with their operating expenses. You will see dealer inventories get pretty lean before the 09's start rolling in.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 10:44:30 PM »

k2,we can tell about the reality with the factory/dealer /public relationship and some will get it some won't.  Some dealers get it, some won't. Some customers will just say FTF, then pull there skirts back down and bitch some more.. I have been riding a long time (34 years) on Harley's and have seen the good and the bad and a lot of people have a good reason to complain to a point. If the twin cam area and others areas are going to a whipping post against the factory for those who wont get therapy I now ask the moderators to get involved and give the kids there own play pen and us purist a break. We know the 110 motor has problems. It took the factory 6 years or better to come up with a fix for the cam tensioners. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:50:18 AM by AXIL »
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 11:02:16 PM »

k2,we can tell about the reality with the factory/dealer /public relationship and some will git it some wont,  some dealers git it, some wont. some customers will just say FTF  then pull there skirts back down and bitch some more..  i have been riding along time(34 years) on Harley's and have seen the good and the bad and alot of people have a good reason to complain to a point. but if the twin cam area and others is going to a whipping post against the factory for those who wont get therapy i now ask the moterators to get invalved and give the kids there own play pen and us purist a break

You are kidding right?
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.