Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Worst Case 110 Fix on 1258 of 1800 SEUC3  (Read 3074 times)

TNThumper

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anny #1258/1800
Worst Case 110 Fix on 1258 of 1800 SEUC3
« on: April 22, 2008, 06:31:17 AM »

I am about to pull the trigger on #1258 of 1800. After all the reports of no success on fixing the 110 by MOCO I come to the great and wise members of this board. Should I forget this deal or if not, what is the worst case fix for this problem? Worst case meaning if they can't fix the cylinder leak problem what is the "aftermarket fix"? The bike is cool, but you buy em to ride em.  :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Worst Case 110 Fix on 1258 of 1800 SEUC3
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:03:09 PM »

I am about to pull the trigger on #1258 of 1800. After all the reports of no success on fixing the 110 by MOCO I come to the great and wise members of this board. Should I forget this deal or if not, what is the worst case fix for this problem? Worst case meaning if they can't fix the cylinder leak problem what is the "aftermarket fix"? The bike is cool, but you buy em to ride em.  :nixweiss:

The absolute worst case is another bad crankshaft, eats the oil pump, engine locks up, wrecks the bike and you die.  But then you don't have to worry about fixing the leak so at least in that context you're out of the woods.

Short of that...

You'd be looking at doing some variation of what Scott or Howie or others have done.  A rebuild on your own.  Remove and throw away the Harley cylinders.  Buy a set of Axtells or some others.  Likely at the same time do some head work, mate it to new pistons and change cams to taste.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 12:11:23 PM »

The absolute worst case is another bad crankshaft, eats the oil pump, engine locks up, wrecks the bike and you die.  But then you don't have to worry about fixing the leak so at least in that context you're out of the woods.

Short of that...

You'd be looking at doing some variation of what Scott or Howie or others have done.  A rebuild on your own.  Remove and throw away the Harley cylinders.  Buy a set of Axtells or some others.  Likely at the same time do some head work, mate it to new pistons and change cams to taste.

what is the worst case fix for this problem?

Don

You are not thinking clearly!
The worse case fix?
Here tis,
Zippers Cycle comes up with a retro kit to resolve all the 110 problems and markets them thru the local Vespa dealer.
MSRP $3,995.00 w/no instructions and no warranty.
or
MSRP $3,995.00 w/instructions and warranty (either way the results are the same)

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

bigmuff

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:12:24 PM »

Pass on the deal.  Wait for the 09's to come out.  I almost bought a SERK until I read about all these problems.  I'm glad I backed out.  Instead I spent 1/10th of the money putting new wheels and "jewelry" (as my wife calls it) on my 05 Road King.  Much more piece of mind.

I think you'd be wise to wait.

CC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »

Don

You are not thinking clearly!
The worse case fix?
Here tis,
Zippers Cycle comes up with a retro kit to resolve all the 110 problems and markets them thru the local Vespa dealer.
MSRP $3,995.00 w/no instructions and no warranty.
or
MSRP $3,995.00 w/instructions and warranty (either way the results are the same)

:2vrolijk_21:

oh chit..... ???

TNThumper

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »

ok 2LR, now I know why my wife wants me to buy it, with your scenario she collects my life insurance and lives the rest of her life in peace.   :nervous:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »

ok 2LR, now I know why my wife wants me to buy it, with your scenario she collects my life insurance and lives the rest of her life in peace.   :nervous:

:oops:  So it's an HD/Wife conspiracy.  That's a scary thing.

All kidding aside, and returning to your initial question in the process; knowing all we actually do know I'd not buy one.  We ride to feel better.  To clear the head.  To ward off those things we want shed of.  It's done to make us sane and make is whole again. 

I can't do that if I'm wondering not if but likely when it will fail and how many times and how bad it will be and how much BS I've got to put up with to try and get it back on the open road again.  What a hoary process. 

Spend 8k less and find a nice low miles SEEG.  They'll run great without the drama and the trauma.  And to top it off you'll be putting money in another rider's pocket rather than HD's while saving some yourself.

At least that's what I'd do.

TNThumper

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 02:46:08 PM »

If the MOCO would fess-up we could actually make an educated guess about the failure rate that's out there, but since they won't, all we have to go on are the reports that are made by real people about what the MOCO calls figments of their imaginations.  This sucks!!!!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »

If you have not bought this bike, "do not seek the treasure!!" Wait to see what the offering is In July. Others say the 110 won't be back, I believe that it will, but maybe you will get lucky and they will make a change. I have followed this problem for a long time and watched it go from a few to many of the 110's and of course have experienced it myself at 5,000 miles. This is a real and true problem. They just do not know how to resolve it yet. Hopefully they can "find a cure" and get us back on the confidence wagon again!

KCBlackSheep

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »

I'm sure there are folks at MOCO that are incognito here reading thou

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:11:53 PM »

Spoke with moco yesterday about the oil leak problem and they stated that they have not heard anything back but positive feedback on the 07B gaskets. They stated that they are holding and no bad results as of yet.(HUMMMM) They also mentioned without saying anything that there was a major fix coming down the pike to fix this problem but would not say!! They made the statement to me that they are very aware of this problem and that it is a HUGE issue with Harley now. He told me that Harley will stand behind these bikes and they will resolve this issue completely. They know that these bikes are the Cadillac of the fleet and they know the client tell of the owners with this bike and they are going to take care of it whatever it takes.(HUMMM)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »

Spoke with moco yesterday about the oil leak problem and they stated that they have not heard anything back but positive feedback on the 07B gaskets. They stated that they are holding and no bad results as of yet.(HUMMMM) They also mentioned without saying anything that there was a major fix coming down the pike to fix this problem but would not say!! They made the statement to me that they are very aware of this problem and that it is a HUGE issue with Harley now. He told me that Harley will stand behind these bikes and they will resolve this issue completely. They know that these bikes are the Cadillac of the fleet and they know the client tell of the owners with this bike and they are going to take care of it whatever it takes.(HUMMM)
That at least sounds like they are admitting to the problem, and are willing to do whatever it takes to get it fixed. That response is a lot better then what others have been given in the past, and hopefully this issue will be resolved to everyones satisfaction soon.

* Fired00d is keeping his fingers crossed for those that own the 110's.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TNThumper

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 03:22:10 PM »

WOW that's encouraging, they need to keep the info flowing because it's just talk right now.... actions will speak volumes....they need to understand that hiding will just make it worse, since the people on this forum are true died in the wool HD fans, they represent that cross section of customers that purchase these Cataracts (That's YORK PA speak for Cadillacs).  :drink:  :drink:  :drink:  :drink:  :drink:

Thanks for the info, anyone else have any tidbits?

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 03:39:03 PM »

Otay den, how about buy a Cadillac Escalade, and a trailer so you can tow the 110" to and from the dealership for the 07/08A/B/C/D/E/F gaskets and out sourced cylinders and buy more chrome bling-bling?  :nixweiss:

:bananarock:

As Don say, I'd sure wait before investing in a 110" and at least see what they come out with this summer. 103" are proven and just get rid of the silly tensioners issue by going to a gear driven cam and upgrade the oil pump and camplate. Badda Bing Badda Boom.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »

Can you provide a bit more detail?  customer service rep, tech, dealer staff?  We (non loyal whiners) wait with baited breath.
Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.