Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Type of helmet you wear most...  (Read 30743 times)

Sean M Cary

Type of helmet you wear most...
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:55:30 AM »

Just wondering - I have always worn a Full Face... 

I have to cover up totally as a DoD/Marine with long shirt/long trou and over the ankle shoes with hard sole 24/7... 

(My belief is they are trying to make riding such a chore we will give it up, but we have lost 8 Marines since Oct to motorcycle crashes... :-\)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Type of helmet you wear most...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:00:46 AM »

Mostly 1/2 helmet year round.

Own a full face that I will wear when extremely cold.

Have a skid lid that I will wear at times locally. :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »

I have to cover up totally as a DoD/Marine with long shirt/long trou and over the ankle shoes with hard sole 24/7... 

(My belief is they are trying to make riding such a chore we will give it up, but we have lost 8 Marines since Oct to motorcycle crashes... :-\)

As I've ridden more I have come to enjoy the full face helmet more and more. There's something to be said for feeling safer when riding. Around town it's the 1/2 helmets, but anytime we're out of the immediate area, out comes the full bucket. :2vrolijk_21:

:indian_chief:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 09:03:35 AM »

Sean,
Also since your now in N.C. be careful wearing a skid lid if that's your choice. N.C. has been cracking down on those wearing "Beanie/Skid Lid" non DOT approved helmets.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 09:19:38 AM »

Winter it's for sure the full face, Summer it's the ½.

Arkansas is a "No Helmet" State and most of my buddies ride with no helmet.  WoW MoM says if I ride with no helmet that I have NO RIDE!  :o So now that I got in that mode of wearing a helmet when riding I feel NaKeD without one.  ;D  but no ones wants to see that.  :-[

~bubba~
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:48:20 AM »

Could be worse, I remember a requirement for a high visibility vest back when I lived in Va Beach, for anyone riding a bike on base.

Actually, the long (heavy) pants, boots, gloves, and helmet have been my minimum required riding gear since the late 60's, after being run over once and run off the road twice.  I would highly recommend a good riding jacket also, but I find it difficult to comply with that one when the temps get much above 80°.  I require the same minimum gear for my passenger.  She's learned to accept it, but I do get some negative feedback on the really hot days.

I've worn a Snell full face helmet exclusively since approximately 1982, and haven't considered going back to a 3/4 (I wouldn't waste my time or money wearing a skid lid).  I may not have a pretty face, but it's the only face I've got and I prefer to not have it ground into hamburger.  I also like the additional wind, rock, and bug protection.  If you've ever had a june bug smack you in the head at highway speeds, you know what I'm talking about.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 10:27:33 AM »

I started wearing the 3/4 because of wind noise and I located a set of inexpensive speakers to enable tunes from the iPod.  It's a win/win situation.  Oh, saftey too.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 03:45:16 PM »

I had a 3/4 helmet that I gave to the new owner of the Sportster.  Since then I've been wearing just a half-helmet.  I just ordered my first full-face helmet.  I ordered the modular kind.  It's an HCI (I think) for $99.  It is DOT approved, but not SNELL.  Once I get adjusted to it, I might buy a nicer one with more graphics that is Snell-approved.  I liked the orange-black Harley full-face modular helmet but it's $300 for no added protection so I'll stick with my basic black for now.

After our accident in 2006, I will not go without one - even in a "no helmet" state.  I had a deep scrape in the helmet that was about 4" long.  I am kind of partial to having hair (and more importantly SKIN) on my head!!   
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »

Winter it's for sure the full face, Summer it's the ½.

Arkansas is a "No Helmet" State and most of my buddies ride with no helmet.  WoW MoM says if I ride with no helmet that I have NO RIDE!  :o So now that I got in that mode of wearing a helmet when riding I feel NaKeD without one.  ;D  but no ones wants to see that.  :-[

~bubba~
OK.  That's Spew #1 for today.  :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »

FL Marine,
I am with you on the military regs.  In Europe the AF has made it mandatory to have your helmet ECE certified...none of the halfers are ECE.  I have a DOT halfer but don't wear it anymore.  I have a full face AGV Ti Tech which is nice but was only BCI and DOT I e-mailed AGV but it took them a while to get back to me so I went "shopping"  I ended up buying a Scorpion because it fit me the best again full face...course 2 days later I got the response from AGV that said the same helmet that I have is ECE in Europe but they don't get the helmets that they sell in the US to have the cert and vice versa for the helmets that they sell in Europe...OH well at least I have a BSR helmet now.  I need to get my kids ECE helmets too now.  I wear a vest too especially when going on base it is easier for the ID card, though the reg states that you need to have bright colored and reflective the ICON vest is at least practical if FUGLY.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »

I've gone to a full coverage lately except the hottest months.  Right now, I'm looking for a small/lightweight LEGAL skidlid for the summer.  Danged helmet laws.  >:( aaaargh.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

harleydiva

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 08:17:10 PM »

I am very claustrophobic and hated the thought of wearing a full faced helmet.  The Harley full faced helmet was a thumbs down.  However, the Nolan full faced is a  :2vrolijk_21:.   Terry and I both have worn the Nolan full faced for over a year and they're great.  Comfort year round.   :2vrolijk_21:   

Sean M Cary

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 08:21:43 PM »

Sean,
Also since your now in N.C. be careful wearing a skid lid if that's your choice. N.C. has been cracking down on those wearing "Beanie/Skid Lid" non DOT approved helmets.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Nah, I am all over the Full Face thing...  I have two MC's now, the daily ride is my KLR 650 so it would look pretty odd wearing the skid lid with the dual sport...  We are required to cover up 24/7 by the DoD - and I guess I would only get in trouble if I had an accident, but not worth the trouble.  So I wear the required PPE every ride, have to when I go on base anyway, and I ride on base every day.

Sean

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 10:04:42 PM »

Nolan N102 Flip up with blue tooth. Best Helmet I have ever had.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 10:10:13 PM »

Nolan N102 Flip up with blue tooth. Best Helmet I have ever had.

ditto!

i do wear a shorty a fair amount on quick trips...but want to migrate to the Nolan eventually all the time
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.