Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Type of helmet you wear most...  (Read 30745 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Type of helmet you wear most...
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 04:02:07 AM »

Nolan N102 Flip up with blue tooth. Best Helmet I have ever had.

Me too! :2vrolijk_21:  It's the only helmet that I wear now........all the others sit up on a shelf.  A shattered jaw is what convinced me to go to a flip face....I used to wear the little beannie helmet but that didn't provide much protection for a face plant into the back of a box van.

I was surprised that the vote at the top doesn't provide an option for the flip face helmet since they're so popular, now.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 04:42:16 AM »

If I am riding on the 07 SEUC, here in Hawaii I wear a 1/2 helmet because it is way to hot wearing a full face behind the windscreen.  Now on my commuter bike my CBR 1000RR I wear a KBC flip-up full face, because I don't have to take it off going onto base.  Most of my friends with traditional full face helmets have to remove them comming on base, because the contract guards say they can't teel who it is with a full face helmet on to compare to their ID card.

Sean, I know here in Hawaii I have not had any problem getting on base with my 1/2 helmet on my SEUC. I also went thru the MSF Rider Coach class in a 1/2 helmet as did a few others.  I have also taught classes with the 1/2 helmet on.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 10:58:07 AM »

I always wear a full face , and the majority of times either full leathers or lighter jackets with full crash pads.. . 
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Sean M Cary

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 12:58:11 PM »

Me too! :2vrolijk_21:  It's the only helmet that I wear now........all the others sit up on a shelf.  A shattered jaw is what convinced me to go to a flip face....I used to wear the little beannie helmet but that didn't provide much protection for a face plant into the back of a box van.

I was surprised that the vote at the top doesn't provide an option for the flip face helmet since they're so popular, now.

Check - will see if I can edit it...didn't think about that style.

Sean

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 01:41:30 PM »

Mostly a half helmet with no face shield - it's warm here most of the year.

On longer trips I waer a 3/4 with full face shield. Less wind fatigue & easier in rain for me.

Saving my pennies for the full face Nolan N102 that Hd-dude & JCZ have.   Times 2 to include 1 for my BSR.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »

Oklahoma is a "No Helmet" state if you are over 18.  I go w/o a helmet except when it is too stinking cold, then I have a full face.

When we travel to helmet states, BSR & I have half helmets, cuz they are cooler when it is hot and easier to pack away when we leave a helmet state.

I know, I know......it is a good idea to wear a helmet.  And I always tell new riders that they should probably wear a helmet, but as long as Oklahoma is a "no helmet" state, I intend to exercise my right to decide, JMHO.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 09:02:06 AM »

After my "incident" in FLA riding in shorts, tank top, tennis shoes and no helmet, I decided to change my riding habits (figured someone was trying to tell me something).  Choose to wear a helmet (1/2) all the time now, I like the carbon fiber, feels really light and DOT 3 http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/.  Where full faced when really cold. Just my 2 cents!  Ride safe!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »

I do not wear a helmet unless I'm traveling to a state that requires them. Then I wear a half helmet. I've been to a lot of bike crashes. Helmets can help sometimes but my choice is to go without. I have to admit, I have been considering wearing on as I get older (wiser?)

JW

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE Red
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 Black
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 09:51:51 AM »

I wear a half helmet about all the time. I do have a full face flip-up if I'm riding a long time in cold weather. Sometimes in no helmet states I'll cruise around town without one but if I I'm traveling I'll have one on. As for skid lids I always tell my riding buddy here, if you are going to be bothered with a helmet why not wear a good one.

Muley

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 09:55:36 AM »

Harley carbon kevlar 1/2 helmet 9 months out of the year, Harley carbon kevlar full face during the winter months.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »

HQ & I always wear 3/4 coverage helmets.  Last summer bought KBC Tour Coms and they are great.  Fit perfectly and are very comfortable. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:48:48 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »

After my "incident" in FLA riding in shorts, tank top, tennis shoes and no helmet, I decided to change my riding habits (figured someone was trying to tell me something).  Choose to wear a helmet (1/2) all the time now, I like the carbon fiber, feels really light and DOT 3 http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/.  Where full faced when really cold. Just my 2 cents!  Ride safe!

I run the Head Tripp non-DOT version from the company above. It's got the same impact protection as their DOT version, it just doesn't pass the "5 lb spear test". The DOT version has more padding, and as a result, passes that test as well. As long as nobody chucks a 5 lb spear at my head, I'm fine with having the same impact protection, while completely retaining the look of my old plastic skid lid. And DOT stickers are less than a buck a piece! ::) ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BANDANAGIRL

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • LIVE LAUGH RIDE

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG Cherry Sold
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG Orange Sold, 2005 SEEG Teal Sold, 2005 SEEG Banana Sold
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 02:31:59 PM »

Just got my new nolan 3/4 helmet with bluetooth from Jim. Used it for the first time on the Laughlin trip. I love it. Don and I used the intercom which was great. Worked great even when we got a distance away from each other. He wears a nolan full face  and loves it also.

Soozie :cherry:

2006 Cripplecreek, Co.
                     2008 Sedona, Az.
                     2009 HoodRiver, Or.
                     2010   Pala, Ca.
                     2010 New River , Wv.
                     2011 Lake Tahoe, NV.
                     2012 Spokane, Wa.
                     2013 Santa Fe, NM.                      2014 Carmel & M.V.

REGGAB

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 07:34:59 PM »

Most of the time I run a DOT half.  When it's cold, I'll pull out the 3/4.  I also have a skid lid I wear when I'm feeling lucky, but feel really STOOOOOPID for wearing it when I get back home.................until the next time I feel lucky.  Sick mind.

Renea has the Harley Diva helmet from 2007(no relation, but if Suzanne had anything to do with the development of that helmet.....she did a great job  :2vrolijk_21: )  that she wears exclusively.  I think it is a 3/4, but it might be a 1/2.............so.........does that mean it's a 2/3?  Renea loves that helmet.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 12:24:39 PM »

Could be worse, I remember a requirement for a high visibility vest back when I lived in Va Beach, for anyone riding a bike on base.

Actually, the long (heavy) pants, boots, gloves, and helmet have been my minimum required riding gear since the late 60's, after being run over once and run off the road twice.  I would highly recommend a good riding jacket also, but I find it difficult to comply with that one when the temps get much above 80°.  I require the same minimum gear for my passenger.  She's learned to accept it, but I do get some negative feedback on the really hot days.

I've worn a Snell full face helmet exclusively since approximately 1982, and haven't considered going back to a 3/4 (I wouldn't waste my time or money wearing a skid lid).  I may not have a pretty face, but it's the only face I've got and I prefer to not have it ground into hamburger.  I also like the additional wind, rock, and bug protection.  If you've ever had a june bug smack you in the head at highway speeds, you know what I'm talking about.

Jerry

When I was a young 2nd or 1st Lt had a boss who was a Major then (Colonel now...smart guy) who said, 5$ head, 5$ helmet when I showed him my brand new Shoie FF and stated that I felt like a tool wearing the FF.  All the other Harley riders were wearing skid lids (I was the lone officer who had a bike...sadly for some reason not many of us ride, probably the doing more then one thing at a time limitation) and a FF was considered overkill or uncool...

I still think it was good guidance...and hope I have more then a $5.00 head.

My very opinionated .02

Sean
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.