Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zippers air filter versius Screamin Eagle  (Read 6836 times)

23mc

Zippers air filter versius Screamin Eagle
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:38:34 PM »

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and I hope your more help then others. I have an 05 Screamin eagle fatboy. I currently have a Zippers air cleaner installed. I would like to switch to the Screamin Eagle air cleaner ( the one with the chrome elbow). Will there be any diff. between the two performance wise? I had the bike dyno tuned last year, and I dont want to pay for that again. I installed a gear drive set and BW48 cams, exhaust is a Rinehart 2into1. When the tuner set up the bike he didn't have the screamin eagle air cleaner cover on it. When I got the bike home I installed the cover and had alot of popping on deceleration. I didnt think this was a problem and got used to the popping. In the spring when I serviced the bike I removed the cover on the air cleaner and the popping was gone. Now I have the Zippers air cleaner uncovered the problem is I get caught in the rain alot and there is no protection. I want to switch to the Screamin Eagle Air cleaner will this air cleaner pull as much air as the Zippers? Any help would be great. Thanks Dave

SPIDERMAN

Re: Zippers air filter versius Screamin Eagle
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »

Before I debate the merits of which air cleaner is the best, I'd like to find out where this idea of getting caught in the rain with an open filter comes from. This is like some kind of urband legend or something. What exactly is supposed to happen if it starts raining and you're running a filter without a cover ?

As to what works best ? That is so connected to your particular build or combination of parts that there is not clear-cut answer. Obviously a Screamin Eagle breather kit is a heck of an improvement from the paper filter in the ham can your new H-D comes with. Is the SE the best ?  For a mild Stage I, II, or III set-up, I think it is. Most of these other products are intended for big cams, re-worked heads etc. Stage IV and V motors. The Doherty Power PACC, the Ness Big Sucker, Zippers etc work well depending on the motor. As with everything my mantra is matched parts. My advice would be to go with the late model Screamin Eagle breather kit and you should be fine. You've basically got a stage I motor.

B B

23mc

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »

Thanks for the input. I'm a little confused though. I said I have gear drives and have changed the cams not to mention the exhaust and air cleaner. The bike has been dyno tuned and I got some decent numbers for not messing with the heads (110 Tq 100 HP) I think I might be more than a stage 1 motor. My question would the Screamin eagle work as well as the Zippers air cleaner?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »

Thanks for the input. I'm a little confused though. I said I have gear drives and have changed the cams not to mention the exhaust and air cleaner. The bike has been dyno tuned and I got some decent numbers for not messing with the heads (110 Tq 100 HP) I think I might be more than a stage 1 motor. My question would the Screamin eagle work as well as the Zippers air cleaner?

My apologies, I have a bad head cold and must have missed that. Your motor is somewhere in the stage III catagory. The SE Breather should work ok although I'd be looking at using the BC Gerolomy air filter kit along with it if I were you. I am not familiar with your Cams. Can you post the specs on them ?

B B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »

If your gonna use the SE Breather - I'd make sure to get a K&N filter element.  The MOCO SE breather comes with a cheap paper filter element....which is a piece of crap...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:38:46 PM »

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and I hope your more help then others. I have an 05 Screamin eagle fatboy. I currently have a Zippers air cleaner installed. I would like to switch to the Screamin Eagle air cleaner ( the one with the chrome elbow). Will there be any diff. between the two performance wise? ... Thanks Dave

Welcome aboard Dave! :2vrolijk_21:

I believe Dave's referring to the SE Heavy Breather, not the regular SEAC assembly. I have no experience with it, but some others here do. I like the S&S dual runner air cleaner assembly for that type of filter. It performed extremely well. Might want to check that out too. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:43:43 PM »

Welcome aboard Dave! :2vrolijk_21:

I believe Dave's referring to the SE Heavy Breather, not the regular SEAC assembly. I have no experience with it, but some others here do. I like the S&S dual runner air cleaner assembly for that type of filter. It performed extremely well. Might want to check that out too. ;)

Hoist! 8)

yep...you're right...I wasn't paying close enough attention!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

23mc

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 10:47:09 PM »

Thanks all, I'm going to into the S&S filter. I really like the look of the screamin eagle though. Thanks for all the info. This looks like a great site with lots of helpful info.

23mc

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »

This is the screamin eagle air cleaner I was talking about. Screamin' EagleĀ® Street Legal "Heavy Breather" Performance Air Cleaner Kit

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 11:35:35 PM »

This is the screamin eagle air cleaner I was talking about. Screamin' EagleĀ® Street Legal "Heavy Breather" Performance Air Cleaner Kit

I'd call the H-D's customer service 800 number if I were you and get one of their techs on the line. Explain what you have for cams, etc and see what he says. I'm not sure, but I think the Heavy Breather is big motors (113) or CNC heads with large intake valves and high lift cams. You might be buying more than you need for your set-up.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 02:29:07 PM »

I'd call the H-D's customer service 800 number if I were you and get one of their techs on the line. Explain what you have for cams, etc and see what he says. I'm not sure, but I think the Heavy Breather is big motors (113) or CNC heads with large intake valves and high lift cams. You might be buying more than you need for your set-up.

B B

The Heavy Breather is the stock A/C assembly on the '08 110 SE springers. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

23mc

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »

Hoist do you think it would be ok on my 103?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 02:11:02 AM »

Hoist do you think it would be ok on my 103?

According to the P&A catalog, it only works with '08's. So I don't think it'll work on your 103. Unless someone knows something else about it. The S&S is expensive, but it's a much better performing filter assembly for that type of unit. ;)

Hoist! 8)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 06:52:40 PM »

23mc, as i read your question, i think your whole problem is the tune, a lower flowing filter may help, but a band aid at best.

23mc

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 08:28:54 AM »

I dont have a problem with the performance of the bike (it flys) I just like the look and price of the screaming eagle cleaner. I just wanted to know if it would work. The only problem is when the tech tuned the bike he did so with the teardrop cover off. When I got it home I put it back on and started experencing popping sounds on de-acceleration. I'm not crazy about the look of the filter with the teardrop cover off. Thats why I wanted the screamin eagle set up. Dave

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.