Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Transmission Gear Set With Surprising Damage  (Read 30950 times)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Transmission Gear Set With Surprising Damage
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 04:16:21 PM »

I've had some problems with my 08 UC locking up in first gear. I have to rock the bike to get it out. It happens when i stop the motor in first gear an allow it to sit. The dealer said my problem is killing the motor in first gear. Never had this problems with any of last 3 Harleys or my wifes current 04. Bottom line is, they wont fess up; they say it's me creating the problem. I say BS!!!

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »

I've had some problems with my 08 UC locking up in first gear. I have to rock the bike to get it out. It happens when i stop the motor in first gear an allow it to sit. The dealer said my problem is killing the motor in first gear. Never had this problems with any of last 3 Harleys or my wifes current 04. Bottom line is, they wont fess up; they say it's me creating the problem. I say BS!!!

What are they suggesting, that you shift the bike into 6th before shutting off the engine?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »

My next best guess is just a poor casting of the gears that eventually did what they did, and having quality gear oil in the case kept it together longer.

Just think, if you had the Syn 3 junk we probably would have been making arrangements to get the bike back from York!

18+ years as a "A" tech specializing in engines - transmissions (manual and auto)- and rear axles I have seen a lot of failures, many just like yours and quite a few with absolutely no plausible explanation. Chit happens.

Yes it does.  Would've been nice to find an obvious failure.  But not going to dwell on it either (bike doesn't have points {ignition humor :huepfenlol2: }]).

Have had some gear boxes from cars I had on the track look like this after going in circles a few too many times.  But at least they had the courtesy of getting noisy.  I'm buying your thesis of super fine Redline.  Because I want to :bananarock: !

I'm even extending the thesis to the following:

Good lube and bad gears went 20K miles quietly.

This time have good gears.

Good gears and good grease---it'll run forever :apple: !

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 09:00:32 PM »

Are you going back with a Harley gearset or something different?

When I rode your bike I initially had a problem with it not wanting to
shift because of the clutch not working properly.At one point I could
not get it to shift up from 3rd to 4th. The more I rode it the better it
seemed to get. Could this have anything to do with your failure? :confused5:

Just trying to think of anything that might be considered a cause for
failure. :nixweiss:

Sorry about your trouble, but I know when you fix it that it will be
better than new because you will have a lot more attention to
detail than a tech would or the factory ASSembly line worker
would.  Good luck with your build.

Mark

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 10:11:54 PM »

Are you going back with a Harley gearset or something different?

When I rode your bike I initially had a problem with it not wanting to
shift because of the clutch not working properly.At one point I could
not get it to shift up from 3rd to 4th. The more I rode it the better it
seemed to get. Could this have anything to do with your failure? :confused5:

Just trying to think of anything that might be considered a cause for
failure. :nixweiss:

Sorry about your trouble, but I know when you fix it that it will be
better than new because you will have a lot more attention to
detail than a tech would or the factory ASSembly line worker
would.  Good luck with your build.

Mark

Mark, you were on it almost immediately after that new Barnett clutch got installed.  It had a couple of issues.  It was straightened out shortly thereafter.  That was separate from what happened here though.  Shifted like a dream after that.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 10:34:22 PM »

Don,
Damn Bro, I don't think I've ever seen something implode like that without any forewarning.  ???  Hopefully, the install will be as uneventful as the disassembly and you'll be back up and riding quick like.  This may be one of those things you'll never really find out how it happened, and with, like you said, a good gear set and good oil, it'll never happen to you again.  :2vrolijk_21:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 10:56:47 PM »

I suppose it's too late it the game to mention that where I in your shoes, the only trans that would find it's way into the bike would be a Baker DD6. Hell I'd even spring for a polished case. Cost - - hell yeah, but you only do it once.  It'd put the BOMB in your Cherry Bomb and would not, repeat would not do what your Screamin Eagle trans did - - - - ever.

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2008, 12:44:04 AM »

I suppose it's too late it the game to mention that where I in your shoes, the only trans that would find it's way into the bike would be a Baker DD6. Hell I'd even spring for a polished case. Cost - - hell yeah, but you only do it once.  It'd put the BOMB in your Cherry Bomb and would not, repeat would not do what your Screamin Eagle trans did - - - - ever.

B B

That really was my primary intention Brian.  Circumstances worked against it. 

Could not use the Baker gear set because of the clearancing done in this case.  Physically would not install.

No dealer I spoke with had a Baker transmission in stock.  I called several.  All said some variation of three to six weeks.  Apparently Baker doesn't fill vendor orders quickly.

Could buy directly from Baker with a promise of "maybe" ten days to two weeks for delivery.  But their price was $3500.  Much MUCH more then that quoted by some of the dealers.  I got an SE gear set for $1330 and didn't have to wait.  So the time difference compounded by the price difference pushed me the way I've gone.

I'd like to have put in the Baker.  It just didn't work out that way.  Am thinking, however, that to further rationalize the purchase of the various transmission tools I'll use them again this fall or winter and put a Baker gear set in the Road Glide.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 03:11:46 AM »

Is it too late to request that you save the tranny drain plug with the shavings and maybe have it encased in plastic so that it can be used as a centerpiece to the Annual CVO golf tournament trophy? The winner of this amazing event in Sedona specifically requested it and we can make it a perpetual trophy of sorts that will easily fit in a saddle bag.

What you say ? :nixweiss:

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 04:19:06 AM »

Is it too late to request that you save the tranny drain plug with the shavings and maybe have it encased in plastic so that it can be used as a centerpiece to the Annual CVO golf tournament trophy? The winner of this amazing event in Sedona specifically requested it and we can make it a perpetual trophy of sorts that will easily fit in a saddle bag.

What you say ? :nixweiss:

Joe

Couple of others had asked for that also :huepfenlol2: ?  Unfortunately it'd already been cleaned off. There will be lots of shavings in the oil drain container though.  So I guess it could be recreated :nixweiss: ?

(sickos!!)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Transmission Gear Set Scarier Then Roseanne Barr
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 11:04:30 AM »

Inner cage from the main shaft bearing.

Is this the bearing that first came apart ? If there any needles left are they blue or the race they ride on blue.
Were you running the 140w thick hypoid oil ?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 01:23:19 PM by DavidB »

MOBlue

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 12:59:44 PM »

I have the same 6 speed as you and the same type of deal, a winter special at the Springfield dealer, so if you ever figure out what happened I would be interested in the cause. Also curious how much this will cost you after you're done. :confused5:

vagabond6542

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 03:32:33 PM »

Don,

I read the thread about the tranny giving out after York. That some bad Chit man.
My take on what had happen, could mean some or not at all.
I think your gear set went through a extreme heat metal fatigue situation. Probably one of the gears started to shed away some it's apexes and it cascaded into foreign material circulating around to take out other gears. Being all were running in the same temperature environment, that would not be hard to do. Another contributing factor could be that the specs on the material used for the gears couldn't meet the temperature requirements.
Just my 02.  :nervous:

hogasm

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 09:08:12 PM »

B B

Well big B I really dont want to get your panties into a wad.......BUT.......my DD6, which by the way was installed by Baker himself.....has been into 3 times for 3 different problems.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  a big fan

guess the only saving grace is that when problems have occurred.....it did not lock up

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 09:10:48 PM »

Well big B I really dont want to get your panties into a wad.......BUT.......my DD6, which by the way was installed by Baker himself.....has been into 3 times for 3 different problems.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  a big fan

guess the only saving grace is that when problems have occurred.....it did not lock up

Were the needle bearings the problem ?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 21 queries.