Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Transmission Gear Set With Surprising Damage  (Read 31080 times)

vagabond6542

Re: Transmission Gear Set With Surprising Damage
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »

Don,

Extremely glad to hear that you weren't injured due to the tranny failure. I've seen alot of unexplainable things happen in 24+ years of wrenching on cars and trucks. Sometimes, minor fatigue caused by normal wear gets exaggerated by circumstance. Just glad you were able to get it back together at a minimal cost, as $3400.00 is outrageous for a bike tranny! Here's hoping (and knowing) that you'll have numerous years and miles on a now trouble free tranny built by hands that really care-YOURS!

Flyndyna

I have to chuckle at this.  Some 45 years ago starting out as a High tech technician, I learned a very valuable lesson.
If you want something done right, do it yourself. I guess even in this day and age, it still holds true. :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2008, 01:14:08 PM »

OUCH :(

Ouch is right.  And yet that was a bargain find on eBay.  Best price elsewhere just ordering for dealer was a few hundred bucks more.  Bikes need to be cheaper to own and operate. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »

In the meanwhile, having to ride that 00 SERG can't be all bad.  ;)

B B

That is the truth my friend.  Certainly helps make the annoyance of the failure less annoying.  And don't give a second thought to offering up idea, suggestions, advice or throwing stones with messages written on them.  If you didn't care you wouldn't bother to say a damn thing.  So it's always all good.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2008, 02:09:03 PM »

Don,
Think that anyone (MOCO, etc.) can do an in-depth failure analysis on the tranny? Be nice to know if it was bearing or gear failure caused by what, etc. Surely there is someone (maybe even Baker) that would do it right, or maybe it's just too badly munged up to really tell?  :nixweiss:

If you can recreate the 'trophy' maybe we can do something, but surely save the shavings and plugs are easy to come by. Encased in plastic for posterity and to be passed from CVO golfer generation to generation, ah the horror........

:drink:
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »

Not having been into a gear box I am wondering.
 Would runing the heavy 140w oil instead of the 90w oil keep the needle bearings from getting there  proper lubrication ?
 There not pressure fed and the oil has to make its own way into the bearing.

kurtlange

• Full CVO Member
  • chrome me
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2008, 09:42:29 PM »

looking at the pic of the cage for the roller bearing, i'd bet that's the screech and the lock-up was when the rollers got into the gears. looks like the gears chewed up most of the rollers.

this is what the rear differential looked like on a 4x4 i had that ate a bearing. truck was only 1 week old...

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »

Would runing the heavy 140w oil instead of the 90w oil keep the needle bearings from getting there  proper lubrication ?

Many many years ago when AMSOIL was first introduced, their only product was gear oil. They had displays at all of the swapmeets etc with two cutaway gearboxes. One had H-D's (at the time) Dino fluid and the other AMSOIL heavyweight gear oil. When you turned the gearsets, the AMSOIL would climb the gears and end covering the gears for 360 degrees. The regular H-D fluid would only splash on the lower sections of the gears. The heavier the weight of the gear oil, the more this effect would take place. The only drawback to using heavier than needed fluid is drag on the gears - - - the amount of extra effort it takes for the gears to push through the heavy weight fluid. As such, your hypothesis above is not valid.

B B

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2008, 01:35:42 PM »

Many many years ago when AMSOIL was first introduced, their only product was gear oil. They had displays at all of the swapmeets etc with two cutaway gearboxes. One had H-D's (at the time) Dino fluid and the other AMSOIL heavyweight gear oil. When you turned the gearsets, the AMSOIL would climb the gears and end covering the gears for 360 degrees. The regular H-D fluid would only splash on the lower sections of the gears. The heavier the weight of the gear oil, the more this effect would take place. The only drawback to using heavier than needed fluid is drag on the gears - - - the amount of extra effort it takes for the gears to push through the heavy weight fluid. As such, your hypothesis above is not valid.

B B

Im not concerned about the gears, there going to get oil . The secondary shaft rides in a needle bearing . Very tight tolerances. When these bearings let go they will they destory the transmission. Im just wondering if the thicker oil has a problem getting into these bearings.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:37:51 PM by DavidB »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »

Im not concerned about the gears, there going to get oil . The secondary shaft rides in a needle bearing . Very tight tolerances. When these bearings let go they will they destory the transmission. Im just wondering if the thicker oil has a problem getting into these bearings.

Ok, I understand where you're coming from, but I believe that as the fluid heats up, it tends to become more - - - - well fluid I guess would be the word. The difference being that the viscosity breakdown is not as great with the higher numbers. In any event, think of your wheel bearings as a point of reference here. You work axle grease into the bearings by hand and then install them in the wheel with a seal to hold in the grease. My experience with needle bearing failure is relative to foreign matter finding it's way into the bearing cage and cause the individual "needles" to bind and seize. Having said all that, lack of lubrication is certainly the culprit in many many mechanical failures, so at the end of the day, your theory is as good as mine or anyone else's.

B B

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2008, 03:06:21 PM »

From Redline's website:
"The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90."

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2008, 06:00:23 PM »

Couple of others had asked for that also :huepfenlol2: ?  Unfortunately it'd already been cleaned off. There will be lots of shavings in the oil drain container though.  So I guess it could be recreated :nixweiss: ?

After cleaning his transmission drain plug of fragmentation, Don returns to the garage to install a more heavy duty model.

(sickos!!)
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2008, 09:01:43 PM »

After cleaning his transmission drain plug of fragmentation, Don returns to the garage to install a more heavy duty model.

oh wow, just think about packing those nuts with black powder and dropping it off the high school  ::)

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »

here ya go don, Install this herringbone gear set and I promise you wont ever have another problem  :2vrolijk_21:  ;D

Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2008, 09:48:18 PM »

here ya go don, Install this herringbone gear set and I promise you wont ever have another problem  :2vrolijk_21:  ;D

Well....... there goes another round of engine upgrades to turn those babies.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2008, 09:52:40 PM »

Well....... there goes another round of engine upgrades to turn those babies.

Don

Just get John to retune your SERG for torque and there should be no problem turning those gears.
It worked for me and he's closer to you.
Go for it

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.