Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: How Do You Softail Riders Like Long Trips on the Springer  (Read 16724 times)

drogers

• Full CVO Member
Re: How Do You Softail Riders Like Long Trips on the Springer
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »

For touring,I set my Springer up with Wild 1 bars,Tallboy seat,rear rack/short sissy bar,t bag,3" extended forward controls,big beefy pegs with fold out heel rest. Lean back and go! 300 mile days are fairly easy. No fairing. Never had one,but a buddy talked me into trying one. I bought the Harley Springer detachable windshield,however,a 2 mile test ride is all it took to get rid of it. The buffeting was so bad I couldn't even see. I do wear a full face helmet at all times though.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 10:35:46 PM »

i love this bike but...............my back, and bottom do get a little tired after a 300 mile trip, but not enough to keep me off it. OR i am just getting too old. But i am getting ready to take a 2200 mile round trip next weekfor vacation on it!

Do yourself a favour and have a gel pad cut into the foam and re-staple your seat back together.

You have an awesome looking bike and you might as well be comfortable.  With the softails today, if you've got a comfortable seat, you should be able to ride all day long and enjoy it.

Have a great holiday on a great bike.

Ride safe and enjoy!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »

Hi, I ride everywhere without windshield. But I have a full face helmet and it seems to let me ride faster and longer, then after 500 or 600 miles when you get off at your destination your eyes are not red and watery. Maybe see you two up at the Hood River GTG, 1,295 miles from here in Arizona.  I do want to see that jacket I have read about for last few months.

Hey, sorry I missed this post.  I ride everywhere without a windshield, too.  I wear a 3/4 helmet most of the time, but a full-faced helmet in the winter.  I absolutely love my bike and am never uncomfortable.  My longest ride was to Street Vibrations- maybe 200 miles.  I just get out there and RIDE.  The freeway doesn't bother me anymore.  I have the reach seat.  Standard handlebars.  I just put one of those velcro throttle controls on and it works really well.

My co-riders think I'm crazy.  Street glides, road kings and heritage softail.  They love their fairings, radios, warm legs.  My boyfriend wants me to get a Street Glide, but I don't want to get rid of my Springer.  I get tons of compliments on my bike because every other bike looks the same as the next.  I wonder if I would change my mind, as most do, if I were to get a Street Glide?  It's a nice bike, but is it exciting?  I want to RIDE, not SIT.
Smokin' Jacket (wanna know why?)
2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 06:45:28 AM »

Last month did 500 miles on one trip in two days and 700 miles on another in 3 days. Stock seat. T-bag helps the back. I love my bike.

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 04:31:38 AM »

Just back from a 7500 mile European trip on my 09 Springer, took just over 6 weeks, no issues just one beautiful ride  :cucumber:

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 02:26:36 PM »

Just back from a 7500 mile European trip on my 09 Springer, took just over 6 weeks, no issues just one beautiful ride  :cucumber:

nice one bogman, post some pics if another thread if you have some,

i am just back from a lil trip 2 the UK,  arrived in Boulogne France at 3pm from Dover, rode via Namur, Luxembourg, Metz,  Strassbourg, Basel arriving Zurich at 1am having suffered long tailbacks near Metz and from Basel to zurich, caught all the traffic leaving the Italy/Swiss football game.     grrr  midlined the traffic to stop from over heating, me and the motor

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 01:18:50 AM »

I recently finished a 6 day, 2,600 mile loop with another couple riding a ’09 FXSTSSE3 and a 2004 FLHTSE. The person riding the Springer gave the SE Electra Glide to his Wife and he moved to the Springer, which he really enjoys. I have a photo of the machines that I can post tomorrow.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »

Hey, sorry I missed this post.  I ride everywhere without a windshield, too.  I wear a 3/4 helmet most of the time, but a full-faced helmet in the winter.  I absolutely love my bike and am never uncomfortable.  My longest ride was to Street Vibrations- maybe 200 miles.  I just get out there and RIDE.  The freeway doesn't bother me anymore.  I have the reach seat.  Standard handlebars.  I just put one of those velcro throttle controls on and it works really well.

My co-riders think I'm crazy.  Street glides, road kings and heritage softail.  They love their fairings, radios, warm legs.  My boyfriend wants me to get a Street Glide, but I don't want to get rid of my Springer.  I get tons of compliments on my bike because every other bike looks the same as the next.  I wonder if I would change my mind, as most do, if I were to get a Street Glide?  It's a nice bike, but is it exciting?  I want to RIDE, not SIT.

My wife just leaves her night train in the back of the garage now that she bought a 09kiosk with beauty cases oooppps i mean a street glide. She is in love with her new fairing and radio/cd player, she just fitted a bare bones seat but has not ridden distance yet.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 09:21:49 PM »

This photo was taken near the St. Lawrence Seaway in Massena, NY. at one of the several greasy spoons that we visited during our travels. The green FXSTSSE3 is on the left and his previous ride, an ’04 FLHTSE is on the right. He doesn’t miss the Electra Glide at all.

He has run 5,000 miles on the Springer so far this season and this was his first ride behind the windshield. I have managed 6,957 miles on the Street Glide since June 25.

jester

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2009, 08:55:25 AM »

Since there seems to big a problem with getting the correct seat to fit the springer,I purchased a gel from SoftBottom.  I'm about to pull all the staples from the stock seat, insert the gel pad and staple everything back together.  I'll report back after completion and confirmation

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »

I read some touring forums, and it seems to be the consensus that the Airhawk seat pad is the best in making a seat more comfortable. I don't want to buy a new seat or modify the old one if there is an option. I ordered one, and we'll see if it's as good as everyone says.

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »

Jester et me know how it goes. That is something that I might consider doing if Thanks Jeff

Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »

Two thumbs up for the Airhawk pad. Have been to Sturgis and back on it twice now on my Wide Glide (640 miles one way) and did 3 of those stretches straight through. No issues at all. It is really a joy to use!

Gamecock

• 08 Inferno SE2
  • 08 SSSE

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno
    • CVO2: tbd
    • CVO3: tbd
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 02:50:32 PM »

This past Myrtle Beach rally, my first on the FXSTSSE2 with the stock seat. MAN! My ass was on fire 1/3 the way there, only 60 miles down the road! There and back, I knew I was going to have to get a new seat asap. One of the guys here on the site sold me his Sundowner. I also had the dealership tighten up the shock all the way in. These two actions have turned my bike into a VERY COMFORTABLE SE SPRINGER now! I'm sure I could get a bit more comfort with a gel seat, but I'm totally ok with the Sundowner on bike now. My wife loves it too. It looks great, the side flaps and studs add a lot of character to it, glad I got it for sure.

jester

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »

the softbottom pad underneath the original seat cover is much nicer to ride.  the pad isn't quite the right size so i'm trying to procure a large piece of the material to put under the whole seat.  i'll let you know how that goes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.