Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GAS HOGS WORTHLESS  (Read 1038 times)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
GAS HOGS WORTHLESS
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:27:53 AM »

My wife and I bought a new Camray Hybrid today. No trade in, just a down payment and monthly terms. When we were wrapping up the deal we overheard this guy extremely pissed!!! The guy came in with a fairly new Chev Tahoe to trade for a Toyota. The dealer told him they would not take his vehicle for a trade, they wouldn't even offer him a grand. This guy was furious. Apparently this particular dealer has taken so many gas guzzlers for trades over the last month they cant sell them or give them away. In fact a peek out in the used car lot revealed a ton of trucks, suv's and a couple Hummers. These gas prices are way out of hand...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 12:31:18 AM by sportygordy »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: GAS HOGS WORTHLESS
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:52:07 AM »

I agree. If it gets really bad, I'm gonna park the Durango and buy something else.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

pcarr1701

• Junior CVO Member
  • The Switchblade Guy

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 06:51:46 AM »

I thought about dumping the Tahoe, but after looking at the fact that it is paid off, the amount of money I would lose on the vehicle, and the cost of gasoline, I realized that it is just better to ride it out and wait for relief in a year or so.  I just don't want to lose $5k on the car, then enter into a payment.
Patrick Carr
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Wildfire

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:21:26 AM »

I agree,

My Durango may be worthless as a trade in TODAY, but it is not a worthless vehicle. Sure I could go out and pick up a hybrid compact car, but then what would I use to tow, go camping, and shuttle kids and hundreds of pounds of sports equipment around?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »

Adversity brings opportunity, now is the time to buy the gas guzzlers, they can be had for a song and if you do the math spending $4000/yr on gas vs

$2000/yr is less than $200. more per month but what are you saving on the car you bought?   more than $200./month!!!!!!

I just picked up an older Tahoe for $3000.00, gas would have to go up a lot more to justify buying another car.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:57:27 AM »

Remember the 70s gas crunch? People were crushing Muscle Cars as fast as you could get them to the crusher! Now look what they are worth. As a car guy as well as a rider I am waiting for the right buys on a classic car. Just last night I was with a friend that got a 1958 Savoy (Christine) in trade, his out of pocket was $1,250! Only 60,000 miles on this old lead sled! If you have a barn I would say pack them in, people will get used to $4.00 a gallon and look for classic gas hogs again. Mark my words......Dave

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 07:13:49 PM »

Last winter, I bought my Aviator for almost $10k less than asking price and $5k less than loan value.  The guy thought I was insane when I made him the offer but a few weeks later, he called me up and told him if I'd come pick it up right then, he'd take my offer.  I ran right over and got it.  I bought it for the 3rd row and DVD player for road trips with the boys.  Now that I'm not making road trips, and already hate the payments, I want to get rid of it but I'm stuck because of the the fact it is an SUV!  It doesn't matter how luxurious it is or that the leather seats are air-conditioned (which is normally a big selling point in this heat and humidity)!!  People are doubling up on deodorant and rolling down the windows trying to boost gas mileage! LOL!  They don't mind feeling like that sweaty little kid in the back of my dad's Gran Torino sticking to the seats and my brother and sister's legs in 1972!  Ewwww!

Gas is over $4 down here now and I thank God every day I work from home.  When I took this job, I took a pay cut of $5k a year to work from home.  Back then I was wondering if I was crazy but thought it would be justified by being home when the boys get home from school and I'd save money on business attire.  Now, I have no doubt that I made the right decision.  I'd probably spend that much in gas!  I do get stir crazy at times, though!

I am seeing more and more people on scooters and mopeds every day!  Particular senior citizens.  CRAZY!
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 22 queries.