Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: TIPS FOR POLISHING CHROME  (Read 9887 times)

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
TIPS FOR POLISHING CHROME
« on: May 20, 2005, 09:58:50 AM »

Here are some tips on polishing aluminum, chrome parts.

Tripoli
Brown (all-purpose cut and color) Used for basic clean up on minor scratches and light work, many times the first step to get an even finish and good color. Use a medium spiral sewn buff here, typically 3/8" sewing.

Chrome rouge
White (fine cut mostly color) Used in many applications as a final finish on very good quality metal or to color after Tripoli. Using a 3/8 spiral sewn buff is acceptable and for final application a loose buff is used.

Jewelers rouge
Pink (fine compound color only for mirror finish) Used to achieve a custom high quality "mirror" finish which is a final application after Tripoli or Chrome rouge. A loosely sewn buff is appropriate, but most often a loose buff is used with jewelers rouge.

Plated parts
Note: All compounds can cut through plating. You can do more damage than good polishing a thinly plated part. Also be careful polishing clear coat. Generally, you should remove all clear coat to do any polishing. Try not to mix aggressive compounds with color compounds on the same buff. If you need to use the same buff, clean it with a raking action. A file edge is best, but any heavy gauge metal, hard and straight will work.

Aluminum wheels
For polishing or cleaning an aluminum wheel or wheels first check for clear coat (this has to be removed to polish ex: Sanded off). The Polishing is usually a two step process. First using Tripoli and a buffing wheel remove scratches and blend out for the first step. Second using  Jewelers rouge and a new buff, finish out the fine lines and blend.  cleaning, polishing, and ection.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 12:02:18 PM by MAVERICK »
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
Re: TIPS FOR POLISHING CHROME
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 02:40:27 PM »

Any recommendations on the re-application of a clear coat to protect all that work? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 02:41:01 PM by Coolbreeze »
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 11:53:21 PM »

best thing for clear coat is 3-M glaze, don't remove your clear coat unless you know a good painter.  You are better off to touch up a chip, after several applications you build up the chip till it can be sanded down with 1400 wet dry sandpaper.  Then buff it out with a slow speed buffer.  As far as using any kind of jewelers rouge on chrome, stay away from it.  At the very least you will leave marked of some kind, or at the worst, you will break into the nickel plate.  A mild chrome polish and alot of elbow grease is the best.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

doubledeuce3

• sweet baby
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 04:27:31 PM »

what do you think of mothers? or any other polish like turtle wax chrome cleaner>?

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »

what do you think of mothers? or any other polish like turtle wax chrome cleaner>?
I have used Turtle Wax chrome polish forever. The stuff is good. I finish it off with Glare, after I've got it clean with  Turtle wax
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 07:33:52 AM »

I like Simichrome to get off any stains, Windex wipes for quick clean ups, and Glare to protect it all and make it shine.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 07:38:31 AM »

Thanks , this will come in handy!
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:19:29 PM »

I like the Mothers chrome polish....goes on easy and comes off just as easy :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 11:18:36 PM »

Has anyone used a Teflon-based product, for chrome and paint?  I'm looking for a good product to use on all surfaces and help retard the effects of a very humid environment near ocean waters. 

I spend a lot of time keeping all the chrome clean that I've accumulated.  I've heard good things about Teflon products.  I just ordered some stuff made by DuPont.  Just wondering if anyone has had experience with it, or if there might be something as good or better out there.  I use a lot of Blue Magic, and I don't mind donating some elbow grease.  But, when I deploy, I feel she's left here virtually unprotected.

Thanks...
2007 Smurf SEUC, Birthdate 9/11/06

Proud to be an American Infidel!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »

Has anyone used a Teflon-based product, for chrome and paint?  I'm looking for a good product to use on all surfaces and help retard the effects of a very humid environment near ocean waters. 

I spend a lot of time keeping all the chrome clean that I've accumulated.  I've heard good things about Teflon products.  I just ordered some stuff made by DuPont.  Just wondering if anyone has had experience with it, or if there might be something as good or better out there.  I use a lot of Blue Magic, and I don't mind donating some elbow grease.  But, when I deploy, I feel she's left here virtually unprotected.

Thanks...

Glare...use it on all hard surfaces.  The stuff works as advertised, and a lot of people here use it as well.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 11:54:19 AM »

Glare...use it on all hard surfaces.  The stuff works as advertised, and a lot of people here use it as well.

Yessir!  The stuff is awesome!  Just wish it would have repelled that paint mist.

flytens

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 10:50:30 PM »

What do you use on your pipes? 

REGGAB

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 11:24:37 PM »

What do you use on your pipes? 

Glare Pro Polish and Brite Max 6S for detail.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 08:29:54 AM »

Here is my #1 tip for polishing chrome - feel free to pass it along.

Drop bike off at Fired00d's place along with a case of liquid refreshment.  Pick bike up at end of the day.

Jerry ;D ;D ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 08:31:53 AM »

Here is my #1 tip for polishing chrome - feel free to pass it along.

Drop bike off at Fired00d's place along with a case of liquid refreshment.  Pick bike up at end of the day.

Jerry ;D ;D ;D

Really?  Is this true?  I can actually get to Fired00d's house relatively easily.  And, my bike needs to be detailed for our trip - leaving Sunday.  What is the liquid refreshment of choice Gary?  I will pick it up, drop bike off this afternoon, pick up in morning. Work for you? 

:cherry:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.