Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: My SERK is stuck in the garage!!!  (Read 2727 times)

Sean M Cary

My SERK is stuck in the garage!!!
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:14:56 PM »

This morning for some reason the opener would not work (turns out the GFI had tripped) so I lifted the door after disengaging the opener...

It was freaking HEAVY - as in it took all of my strength to get it open.  Got my KLR out and just about slammed the door on my foot letting it close.

Get home tonight, check the power - GFI tripped (still not sure why) and looked up and I have a cracked/broken torsion spring.  Of course nobody is answering their phones at 1800.   :wall: :wall:

So the KLR is stuck outside and the SERK is stuck inside until I get a repair done - and I am not messing with a torsion spring, I have this affinity for my digits and eyeballs.  At least the correct bike is stuck safely inside.

What a pain!!

Sean

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: My SERK is stuck in the garage!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:16:39 AM »

Ahhhhhh, the modern conveniences.  :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:23:23 AM »

Torsion springs on garage doors are best left to the experts. You are making a wise decsion obi wan  :2vrolijk_21:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Sean M Cary

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:25:23 AM »

Torsion springs on garage doors are best left to the experts. You are making a wise decsion obi wan  :2vrolijk_21:

Roger that! "Jason" will be there in about 10 minutes, covered up the SERK to keep prying eyes away from my baby...  And the wife has orders to shoot if he touches any of my tools.

I hate letting others do work on my stuff - but am smart enough to realize the things have enough energy to kill or maim!   :'(

Sean

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:38:04 AM »

Nothing like winding the springs with home made punches, getting it wound really good, punch slips, flies out, and the incurring noise/puckering.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:42:51 AM »

Ours broke a few years ago.  Decided that being remembered as "that crazy guy who cut his head off winding a stupid garage door spring" was not such a great way to be remembered, so sought professional help. Now if I had been in my 20s at the time instead of 40 something.............  ::)

Wise decision, Sean.

Mike
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:39:09 AM »

I think you all lack a true sense of adventure . This spring could be what memories are made of. :nervous: :nervous: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:44:10 AM »

I think you all lack a true sense of adventure . This spring could be what memories are made of. :nervous: :nervous: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Now that's funny!
 :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Sean M Cary

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »

Sure - like the scars I have from all the rest of my bright ideas...character marks.

$155 and a $15.00 tip and I can hit the garage down opener riding in tonight, wife reports mission complete all fixed.  I guess it must have cracked while we were out, it ripped the molding off around the garage door when it released...that is some power.

So I will have to take the SERK for a ride to make up for not taking her to work today.

Sean

Sean M Cary

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 11:57:36 AM »

It tore the molding off around the outside of the door!  I am not sure when it happened, had to have been while we were out - reportedly they are really, really loud.  It's like a 1/4 diameter wire spring.

I would have thought the J&S had given way and my SERK had fallen...or ducked thinking we were taking incoming!

Sean

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »

It tore the molding off around the outside of the door!  I am not sure when it happened, had to have been while we were out - reportedly they are really, really loud.  It's like a 1/4 diameter wire spring.

I would have thought the J&S had given way and my SERK had fallen...or ducked thinking we were taking incoming!

Sean
They are that. Have had a few to break here at the station in my career they will definitely induce the pucker factor.
 :pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 05:22:09 PM »

Nothing like winding the springs with home made punches, getting it wound really good, punch slips, flies out, and the incurring noise/puckering.

Bob you say that with experience huh. :o
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 05:28:45 PM »

This morning for some reason the opener would not work (turns out the GFI had tripped) so I lifted the door after disengaging the opener...

It was freaking HEAVY - as in it took all of my strength to get it open.  Got my KLR out and just about slammed the door on my foot letting it close.

Get home tonight, check the power - GFI tripped (still not sure why) and looked up and I have a cracked/broken torsion spring.  Of course nobody is answering their phones at 1800.   :wall: :wall:

So the KLR is stuck outside and the SERK is stuck inside until I get a repair done - and I am not messing with a torsion spring, I have this affinity for my digits and eyeballs.  At least the correct bike is stuck safely inside.

What a pain!!

Sean

Sean in an emergency to open the door.... you can use a small cable clamp to piece the spring together and rewind the spring. Agreed if you dont know what your doing leave it to a pro, and whats your toes. Good luck. :2vrolijk_21:

Dave
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 05:31:39 PM »

And invest in two 1/2" diameter Hot Roll Round bar 30" long.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 05:38:07 PM »

:rifle: the garage door  :zwtf: and then seat and  :2vrolijk_09:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 21 queries.