Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Would Changing Gearing Create Any "Fun" Torque Benefits For Our FXR's  (Read 11187 times)

Bullwinkle

Re: Would Changing Gearing Create Any "Fun" Torque Benefits For Our FXR's
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 12:11:05 PM »

There is a product, Johnson Twistgear, that lowers the first four gears while keeping 5th stock:

http://www.twistgear.net/

Sounds like a good hybrid way to go.  You have better acceleration while keeping the taller top gear if you do a lot of highway cruising.

Bullwinkle

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »

There is a product, Johnson Twistgear, that lowers the first four gears while keeping 5th stock:

http://www.twistgear.net/

Sounds like a good hybrid way to go.  You have better acceleration while keeping the taller top gear if you do a lot of highway cruising.

Bullwinkle

Not promoting any one thing over the other HOWEVER, the primary gear change I mentioned costs $139 and is about a 2 on a scale of 1-10 of difficulty to accomplish. 

How much is the above and how good a mechanic do you need to be to install it ?

B B

B B

Bullwinkle

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 06:40:35 PM »

I doubt a Twistgear would be cheap unless you are a pretty fair mechanic with plenty of tools.

In any event, I could make a pretty good argument that it's cheaper and easier to do than install a six speed and it is difficult to have it all otherwise.  That is, you can have good acceleration but lose a bit on the slab. Or you could comfortably cruise at 85 but have, uh, leisurely acceleration.  Or leave it alone and have a little of both.

So you have a couple of alternatives if you need both:  Lower the first four gears or install a six (or now a Baker seven) speed transmission.  The Twistgear is cheaper.

My solution was to change out the rear pulley.  I ended up changing the front, too, but got exactly what I wanted.

Bullwinkle

Not promoting any one thing over the other HOWEVER, the primary gear change I mentioned costs $139 and is about a 2 on a scale of 1-10 of difficulty to accomplish. 

How much is the above and how good a mechanic do you need to be to install it ?

B B

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 12:35:55 PM »

I like what hese folks had to say. Looks lkike a nice tranny alternative in 5-speeds. Here's their detailed writeup on it:

http://www.twistgear.net/page%20html/about_helical.html

To read it all, just keep scrolling. ;)

OK, who's got it installed and how does it perform? How much did it cost? This seems like a better alternative than going to a 6-speed gearset, and probably cheaper too. Thenks gang! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.