Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Looking for 110 build advice-2008 SERK  (Read 3835 times)

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member
Looking for 110 build advice-2008 SERK
« on: June 06, 2008, 09:29:39 AM »

I'm getting 110tq/92hp now with my stage 1 SE A/C, Rinehart TD's & a map from Latus HD on my 2008 SERK.  I am very happy but would like to explore some mild build options for my riding style; mostly 2-up in the hills. Excuse my ignorance but I am looking for advice on maybe having my heads ported and a bigger TB along with maybe a cam. I readily admit to not knowing even if I would gain much by doing this. Thats why I'm asking here. Will I pick up significant performance gains by this and would you recommend a certain combination of head porting, TB and cam to go with? Are the stock heads on my bike good enough? If I go this far should I also replace the cylinders and pistons? I see a few 110 owners here have replaced the stock HD cylinders with Axtell cylinders. I have not had any problems yet and am still under warranty but I only have 2,000 miles on my bike. Hoping for the best there. I live in upstate NY and have been looking at some of the head porting websites and Im not sure which way to go here for more performance out of my 110? Can someone give me a nudge in the right direction? I've installed A/C's, exhaust, flashed my own map using my SERT, installed a thundermax on my 07 dyna but I am not familiar with engine work.

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK
Twilight Blue & Candy Cobalt

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Looking for 110 build advice-2008 SERK
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:33:15 AM »

Think you need to talk to Hoist.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »

Good luck on your build, whatever you decide to do. I would talk with several builders, in your area would be best IMO. Be careful with your money. You can spend a lot and not get much for it. If your "very happy" with what she does now, I'd really consider leaving it alone. JMHO.

I would also skip the SE 58 throttle body for now as this seems to be the hang up in my build for now. From my experience I would talk with them and see what they know about this electronic throttle control system on our 08's.

Is Hillside Cycle in you neck of the woods. I've read some good things about them but have never used them.

Good luck again.

JW

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:05:06 AM »

I will echo Black Diamond's thoughts.  Talk to some builders in your area, pick who you want, and then get specific details from them on what mix of parts they would suggest.  You can then post their recommendations here and you will get plenty of feedback on what is good and bad about the list.  :2vrolijk_21:

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 03:59:34 PM »

I'm getting 110tq/92hp now with my stage 1 SE A/C, Rinehart TD's & a map from Latus HD on my 2008 SERK.  I am very happy but would like to explore some mild build options for my riding style; mostly 2-up in the hills. Excuse my ignorance but I am looking for advice on maybe having my heads ported and a bigger TB along with maybe a cam. I readily admit to not knowing even if I would gain much by doing this. Thats why I'm asking here. Will I pick up significant performance gains by this and would you recommend a certain combination of head porting, TB and cam to go with? Are the stock heads on my bike good enough? If I go this far should I also replace the cylinders and pistons? I see a few 110 owners here have replaced the stock HD cylinders with Axtell cylinders. I have not had any problems yet and am still under warranty but I only have 2,000 miles on my bike. Hoping for the best there. I live in upstate NY and have been looking at some of the head porting websites and Im not sure which way to go here for more performance out of my 110? Can someone give me a nudge in the right direction? I've installed A/C's, exhaust, flashed my own map using my SERT, installed a thundermax on my 07 dyna but I am not familiar with engine work.
Before you invest money in internal upgrades, get a professional extensive tune with someone proficient with the SERT. It will be well worth the $400 or $500 you will spend.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »

I don't own a 110, but I've been around motors long enough to know that your question is the proverbial " should I open up the can of worms " There's some folks on the site who will tell you the only way to get into your motor is to get into it. In other words tear it out of the bike, tear it down the the cases and rebuild it from the crank up. Others will suggest this or that. From your post, it's hard to say what to offer for advice. Basically you'd like a little more out of your motor. Normally that's what you get when you add a free flowing breather,exhaust system and a SERT or a PC. You've got the exhaust and breather but no tuner. You're running a map from another engine. Were I you, my first step would be to add a SERT or PC and have bike dyno'd by a top notch tuner as advised in another post. Seems like that should gain you 5% or so beyond what you're currently running. If that's not enough then you step into no man's land where everything you change is relative to everything else you change. If you do the heads then for sure you want to do the cams and send your TB to somebody like BC Gerolomy to have it bored out to match your heads. Of course you'll also need to change your pistons to match the head work. So that means whomever does the work will have the cylinders off the bike for boring and/or honing. And given the issues with the 110 cylinder gaskets then you should fix that problem while you've got the motor apart anyway. My guess on the tab for the above would be somewhere around $6k parts and labor. Do you want to spend that much ? Like I said, it comes down to "should I open the can of worms" It all depends on how much money you'e got to spend, how readily available a solid reliable tech is in your area and ultimately what you want out of the motor. Be advised that you will most likely end up with a no warranty drive train if you head down this path.

B B

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:48:32 PM »

I don't own a 110, but I've been around motors long enough to know that your question is the proverbial " should I open up the can of worms " There's some folks on the site who will tell you the only way to get into your motor is to get into it. In other words tear it out of the bike, tear it down the the cases and rebuild it from the crank up. Others will suggest this or that. From your post, it's hard to say what to offer for advice. Basically you'd like a little more out of your motor. Normally that's what you get when you add a free flowing breather,exhaust system and a SERT or a PC. You've got the exhaust and breather but no tuner. You're running a map from another engine. Were I you, my first step would be to add a SERT or PC and have bike dyno'd by a top notch tuner as advised in another post. Seems like that should gain you 5% or so beyond what you're currently running. If that's not enough then you step into no man's land where everything you change is relative to everything else you change. If you do the heads then for sure you want to do the cams and send your TB to somebody like BC Gerolomy to have it bored out to match your heads. Of course you'll also need to change your pistons to match the head work. So that means whomever does the work will have the cylinders off the bike for boring and/or honing. And given the issues with the 110 cylinder gaskets then you should fix that problem while you've got the motor apart anyway. My guess on the tab for the above would be somewhere around $6k parts and labor. Do you want to spend that much ? Like I said, it comes down to "should I open the can of worms" It all depends on how much money you'e got to spend, how readily available a solid reliable tech is in your area and ultimately what you want out of the motor. Be advised that you will most likely end up with a no warranty drive train if you head down this path.

B B

Dang B B   Were you one of the voices in my head??? Think about it ace!

JW

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 03:43:25 AM »

if it aint broken dont fix it!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 10:13:28 AM »

ice
     that is without doubt, the oldest and best piece of advice for anything mechanical

BUT

you and I both know he wants to " fix it "

B B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 10:24:57 AM »

Where is the fun in that????  Are you into vanilla?  If you want to be like everyone else riding down the road, leave it alone...  If you want the fun of the challenge and the experience of the results - go for it.  It only takes money, and you can always make more.   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 10:30:55 AM »

Where is the fun in that????  Are you into vanilla?  If you want to be like everyone else riding down the road, leave it alone...  If you want the fun of the challenge and the experience of the results - go for it.  It only takes money, and you can always make more.   :2vrolijk_21:

hey you stole that line from SCRM-R

B B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »

hey you stole that line from SCRM-R

B B

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...(stole that from someone too...)
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 10:33:41 AM »

Where is the fun in that????  Are you into vanilla?  If you want to be like everyone else riding down the road, leave it alone...  If you want the fun of the challenge and the experience of the results - go for it.  It only takes money, and you can always make more.   :2vrolijk_21:

Ahhh  Another of the voices in my nugget! Ace, I know this is a difficult decision, bottom line...it's your scoot, your money! I spent a lot of money and would do it again given the same set of circumstances. But I was not "very happy".

JW

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 10:38:30 AM »

I have read a lot of stuff on a lot different threads on this site about the 110 motors. My bottom line conclusion is this. Leave it alone or buy a brand new big inch crate motor from one of the aftermarket companies out there building high quality motors. Sure you'll pay a couple thousand more for the crate motor, but you know it'll be what you're looking for and you can always pull it, drop the stocker back in if you want to sell or trade.

B B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »

I have read a lot of stuff on a lot different threads on this site about the 110 motors. My bottom line conclusion is this. Leave it alone or buy a brand new big inch crate motor from one of the aftermarket companies out there building high quality motors. Sure you'll pay a couple thousand more for the crate motor, but you know it'll be what you're looking for and you can always pull it, drop the stocker back in if you want to sell or trade.

B B

There is only one aftermarket supplier out there that sells a direct replacement for the 110...JIMS... ???  My bottom line conclusion is to go find a competent builder and buy a parts package from him - or send him your cases and let him build you a motor that fits your specific desires..  I am real happy with my Wes Brown Cycle Rama parts package.  Others have had success with other builders...  Like with most things, if you work with competent suppliers and make good decisions, you will get great results...  :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 11:28:35 AM »

Like I said, I don't own one so it's just my opinion.

Just for chits and giggles sake however

When you say direct replacement for the 110, you don't mean that the Jim's is a 110, only that it's a drop in motor correct ?

I thought the Jim's motor was a 120 and I've heard nothing but great reviews of that motor

B B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 11:42:33 AM »

Like I said, I don't own one so it's just my opinion.

Just for chits and giggles sake however

When you say direct replacement for the 110, you don't mean that the Jim's is a 110, only that it's a drop in motor correct ?
I thought the Jim's motor was a 120 and I've heard nothing but great reviews of that motor

B B

Yeah, B B...the JIMS is not a 110, but it is the only direct drop in replacement for the 110.  No one else makes a drop in replacement, 110 or otherwise.  I'm sure it is a great motor - just not my nature to buy a crate motor - I find it more of a challenge to create a unique solution.  Just my opinion...

Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 11:46:03 AM »

Yeah, B B...the JIMS is not a 110, but it is the only direct drop in replacement for the 110.  No one else makes a drop in replacement, 110 or otherwise.  I'm sure it is a great motor - just not my nature to buy a crate motor - I find it more of a challenge to create a unique solution.  Just my opinion...

And your opinions are always solid sadunbar. My take was simply that given how some people feel about modified motors etc, if you're the type who trades bikes every few years, being able to drop the stock motor back in with stock exahust etc would be a plus on the sale and your hard earned dollars spent on the Jim's wouldn't be sold for pennies. What is the price on the Jim's motor ? I had a chance to buy a Jim's 120 for $7k when I bought LD and I kick myself now for not going with it.

B B
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:51:40 AM by SPIDERMAN »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 11:53:35 AM »

And your opinions are always solid sadunbar. My take was simply that given who some people feel about modified motors etc, if you're the type who trades bikes every few years, being able to drop the stock motor back in with stock exahust etc would be a plus on the sale and your hard earned dollars spent on the Jim's wouldn't be sold for pennies. What is the price on the Jim's motor ?

B B

hehe...now we need to morph over to the humor section!  Stock 110 motor enhancing sales potential??   ???  That sounds like MOCO sales-speak!  Just playin with you on a rainy Sunday morning before the race starts, B B.   ::)   I get your point...  ;)
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »

Ahhh  Another of the voices in my nugget! Ace, I know this is a difficult decision, bottom line...it's your scoot, your money! I spent a lot of money and would do it again given the same set of circumstances. But I was not "very happy".

JW

Why were'nt you happy? I have the same bike as you do and would like to know.

One thing having this 110 and a 96 to compare it to is it made me appreciate more power. I don't ride my 07 lowrider much anymore. I ride two-up all the time and I rode a 120" Ironhorse chopper in Myrtle Beach and now I want that kind of power in my RK. I'm leaning towards leaving it alone after reading everyones advice. I am really very happy so far with my SERK especially since the stage 1 A/C, pipes and re-map.

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK
Twilight Blue & Candy Cobalt

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »

Why were'nt you happy? I have the same bike as you do and would like to know.

I'm leaning towards leaving it alone after reading everyones advice. I am really very happy so far with my SERK especially since the stage 1 A/C, pipes and re-map.

I love my SERK. However, my rear cylinder liner let go with less than 3800 miles. That tends to make me unhappy after spending close to $30,000.00. I know I could have replaced it under warranty, I decided I had the money (and could make more) to go aftermarket (Axtell) for cylinders. Then I just couldn't leave it alone and went to a 117 ci. I'm having some issues with it, I think it the Race Tuner in relationship to the 58mm Throttle Body. I will get this figured out.

My only advice is if your "very happy" ..put a race tuner or super tuner on it and ride like the wind. Keep the painted parts up! :)

JW

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 03:13:44 PM »

I love my SERK. However, my rear cylinder liner let go with less than 3800 miles. That tends to make me unhappy after spending close to $30,000.00. I know I could have replaced it under warranty, I decided I had the money (and could make more) to go aftermarket (Axtell) for cylinders. Then I just couldn't leave it alone and went to a 117 ci. I'm having some issues with it, I think it the Race Tuner in relationship to the 58mm Throttle Body. I will get this figured out.

My only advice is if your "very happy" ..put a race tuner or super tuner on it and ride like the wind. Keep the painted parts up! :)

JW

JW
      What's not to like about any Road King, let alone one as nice as yours. Wasn't so long ago I had site member call Elvis a "Circus act " because I put Wild 1 Chubby Apes on it. Seems Big E has a lot of company nowadays. Anyway, post some more pics of your ride for us. Always enjoy seeing what somebody has done to make a nice bike even better

B B

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 01:06:27 AM »

Thanks B B   I really do think this is my best scoot to date. I'm looking to up grade the seat as well as the handlebars. I think the RK is a very good platform.

JW

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »

Thanks B B   I really do think this is my best scoot to date. I'm looking to up grade the seat as well as the handlebars. I think the RK is a very good platform.

JW

JW
      CVOJoe has the contact info on a company that makes a split windshield bag so you can retain your tach and still have storage for sunglasses etc. He's got one on his 03 SERK and it's a nice item 

B B
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 21 queries.