Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: I am very upset  (Read 6766 times)

08springer

I am very upset
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:54:45 AM »

08 Springer, I believe I have the leaks at the base of the cylinders. I have 800 miles on the bike and I just love the looks of the bike. I am a complete nut case about keeping this bike show room new. I can not even think about the dealer taking this thing apart to do a half a-- fix on the engine. I dont see how they can take it all apart and put it back togeather without scratching something on the bike. Then I will have to argue about fixing the part they damaged while doing the repair? I did not spend 25 grand to be upset. I guess I dont have much choice either have it fixed or trade it in. The problem is I dont see any other bike like the CVO springer.  I am just upset and irritated.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:56:19 AM by 08springer »

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: I am very upset
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »

I am sorry to hear that you have a leaker, especially with so few miles on the bike...that has got to be really frustrating. Before you take your CVO Springer in for repair, detail it so it is spotless - as it probably is anyhow. Then when you pick up your bike after repairs have been done, be meticulous about inspecting your bike for any scratches. Take your time looking over your bike and do not sign off on the paperwork until you are satisfied that you received it back in the same condition as you left it. Good luck.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:32:20 PM »

Do What Guilty says to do plus have someone with authority from the dealer inspect your bike right when you bring it in and verify in WRITING that is is free of any damage or marks/blemishes/scrathes etc. THE MUFFMAN

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 02:09:21 PM »

Don't jump the gun on the oil leak.I thought mine was leaking as well when it was new.Turned out to be a loose fitting or bolt somewhere and also the grease was pouring out of the steering head (normal) and was getting on the motor and getting thinned out from the heat of the motor and running everywhere.

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »

Dont worry about the dealer wrecking something, worry about the idiots on cell phone or just not paying attention to you wrecking your new bike. Good luck!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:11:26 PM »

08 Springer, I believe I have the leaks at the base of the cylinders. I have 800 miles on the bike and I just love the looks of the bike. I am a complete nut case about keeping this bike show room new. I can not even think about the dealer taking this thing apart to do a half a-- fix on the engine. I dont see how they can take it all apart and put it back togeather without scratching something on the bike. Then I will have to argue about fixing the part they damaged while doing the repair? I did not spend 25 grand to be upset. I guess I dont have much choice either have it fixed or trade it in. The problem is I dont see any other bike like the CVO springer.  I am just upset and irritated.

Seems to me that if a vehicle is marketed as a special edition or CVO as it were, there is language in the law books to cover your issues as noted above. If this means that much to you, I would contact an attorney. Say you bought the bike as a collector piece and do not intend to put much mileage on it. I think we'd all be curious to hear what the laws covering consumer protection say on this issue. I mean think of this in terms of taking a vintage automobile in for repair etc. I have to believe that there's language somewhere to deal with you concerns.

B B

08springer

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 09:08:40 AM »

Thanks for comments. I rode her last night and if you look real close you can see a pin hole like bubble of oil coming out of the back cylinder. Off to the dealer this weekend to see what they say.  Thanks again.

08springer

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »

Well, I am taking the bike in after work today. I wrote a e mail to the owner of the Harley store here in Ohio and he is being very nice about the entire problem. He has had numerous 110s in his shop leaking oil out of the rear jug. I questioned him on any new fix from Harley and he has no new info from them. Maybe Harley will tell him something when he calls all my info in for the Warranty fix? I also sent a letter to Harley davidson customer servce telling them how disapointed I am in the engine faliure at 800 miles. I also mentioned in the letter if this continues being a problem for my bike I will be seeking legal advice for any type of reinbursement I can get for manufacturing a engine with a known problem. All I want is my bike to be correct and not leak oil. I hope it works out?

08springer

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:07:05 PM »

Just left the dealer. No warm fuzzy feeling here. The dealer is fine but I have no faith in Harley davidson anymore. I will wait and see what they say about my bike but the dealer gave me an idea what they would say. " back jug leaking? Ok we will fix it? Liners? ok maybe? crank run out??? you cant believe everything on the internet. " yea I know I cant believe everything on the internet but who is sitting here with a 25,000 bike that leaks oil ? I will be calm for a while and wait for the response from harley but I think I will trade her in after the repair and buy something else for my $$ and put it next to my show car that does not leak oil and my girlfriends brand new Yamaha Zuma Scotter that does not leak oil. I am just so disgusted I cant even think about it. Sorry if I sound like a a[[[ hole but its my feelings.

rainierexpress

• Wherever you go, there you are

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Softail Springer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 02:35:12 AM »

Here in Washington State, we have a "Lemon Law" that protects buyers of new vehicles from getting stuck with a defective product. I have a friend that bought a new Dodge truck two years ago and ended up using the Lemon Law to get a complete refund. The Lemon Law covers motorcycles as long as the engine is 750 cc or greater. This might be something to have as an option if things get ugly. As I understand it, most states have something similar to what we have here. Really sorry to hear about your situation. I only have about 300 miles on my FXSTSSE2, and I know I would be very bummed if I went out for a ride and saw some oil on the garage floor. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.
2008 CVO Softail Springer
Anniversary Colors
Vance and Hines Big Radius 2-2
ThunderMax with Autotune
Blenn-Air Oil Cooler
Ness 3" Forward Control Extension

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 09:04:21 AM »

Just left the dealer. No warm fuzzy feeling here. The dealer is fine but I have no faith in Harley davidson anymore. I will wait and see what they say about my bike but the dealer gave me an idea what they would say. " back jug leaking? Ok we will fix it? Liners? ok maybe? crank run out??? you cant believe everything on the internet. " yea I know I cant believe everything on the internet but who is sitting here with a 25,000 bike that leaks oil ? I will be calm for a while and wait for the response from harley but I think I will trade her in after the repair and buy something else for my $$ and put it next to my show car that does not leak oil and my girlfriends brand new Yamaha Zuma Scotter that does not leak oil. I am just so disgusted I cant even think about it. Sorry if I sound like a a[[[ hole but its my feelings.

I feel your pain. Back in May 2002 I bought a new American motorcycle with a model name of Chief. In the following 11 months I owned the bike(s) the IMC replaced the entire bike one time and the second bike's engine one time. By the 12th month I did not have the bike nearly 45 days. On Memorial Day weekend in 2003 I parked the Indian and called the dealer and asked him to get me out as I had no room for two bikes and just bought a SERK. My dealer negotiated with IRC on my behalf and we compiled a list of all the after purchase add ons and I received a check in the amount of all but about $400. 8K miles on 2 bikes with 3 engines. What a friggin nightmare and the same was happening all over the US to other owners. Of course I had to sign a gag order-which I believe to be moot now. 79 days later IMS filed receivership or something like that in CA.
The final straw came 2 months later in the form of a packet of legal mumbo-jumbo from a CA law firm asking for the amount of my refund back due to my having been treated as a special creditor. The firm was charged with getting all the money paid out by IMC within 90 days of the insolvency back to a pot to be redistributed pro rata to all ceditors-fortunately the MOCO won't be going under so you won't have that to worry about. By the way the law firm settled for $500 and I had a $1800 attorney bill!
I did not go the lemon law route due to the portion of the law that called for prorating the mileage versus the value-may have been a significant reduction in final valuation.
Bottom line IMO stay on the dealer/manufacturer to resolve in a win-win solution oriented manner as your first and best course.

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Damn Yankee

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »

Don't panic yet. Check oil  lines where they enter motor. Somtimes these seal leak during the first thousand miles while they seat. Most of the time it will stop. Also make sure steering head grease is not falling and liquifying on motor , looks just like an oil leak. Look at the front of your left forward controls, if there filthy
it's grease from your steering head. Good Luck!

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »

Don't panic yet. Check oil  lines where they enter motor. Somtimes these seal leak during the first thousand miles while they seat. Most of the time it will stop. Also make sure steering head grease is not falling and liquifying on motor , looks just like an oil leak. Look at the front of your left forward controls, if there filthy
it's grease from your steering head. Good Luck!

He already said he can see exactly where it is coming out of the rear cylinder.

Hellion Custom Cycles

• Vendor
  • One bad ass machine

• CVO1: 08 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »

I have 1300 mi on mine now and have been seeing oil around the middle of the bases, So I cleaned it off and found that the case bolt was leaking there. At my 1000mi service they told me that MoCo told them to pull the bolt and loctite it, but they would have to split the case if it leaks again. That is bull sh*t if you ask me.
08 SE SPRINGER
06 NIGHTTRAIN
91 FLHTC
99 883 (wife's bike)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »

I knock wood.........2600 miles with my '08 and not oil yet..........

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 08:45:48 PM »

Jorge, that's a week's riding for you.

Word is it takes a couple months before it starts

B B

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 08:48:26 PM »

I think these posts are the worst posts you could ever see. The problems have become so common and expected that we're now celebrating after each ride when the motor is holding it's oil.

This is despicable!

:indian_chief:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »

I think these posts are the worst posts you could ever see. The problems have become so common and expected that we're now celebrating after each ride when the motor is holding it's oil.

This is despicable!

:indian_chief:

No more so than stealin one of the old lady's cookie sheets and leaving it under the bike when it was parked like we did many many years ago. These new 110's are Harley through and through. They don't leak, they mark their spot  ;D

B B

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 02:15:17 AM »

No more so than stealin one of the old lady's cookie sheets and leaving it under the bike when it was parked like we did many many years ago. These new 110's are Harley through and through. They don't leak, they mark their spot  ;D

B B

B B,

That may well be the case, but back then the MoCo was in the crapper and only the efforts they made to improvee the bikes brought them to where the are, if this is going to continue they may go back to where they were (in a manner of speaking) which is certainly not what any of use wish to see.  IMO

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »

B B,

That may well be the case, but back then the MoCo was in the crapper and only the efforts they made to improvee the bikes brought them to where the are, if this is going to continue they may go back to where they were (in a manner of speaking) which is certainly not what any of use wish to see.  IMO

Roger,
         For the past few years, H-D Inc appears to have been being run by people with no sense of their core customers. This is what happened during the AMF years. H-D Inc is a recreational product company. Whatever downturn they are experiencing at this time is most likely seen by those in the Ivory Towers as a factor of the overall falling economy vice issues with the product and customer satisfaction. I'm not into H-D Inc stock like some of our members are, so I pay no attention to their balance sheets. I have no clue if they have deep enough pockets to weather the current downturn in their fortunes for a long enough period for someone to come to the realization that their issues are not relative to the economy, they are relative to declining consumer confidence. I love Motorcycles. I prefer the Harley-Davidson brand, but if they cannot survive, I will find another company to spend my money with or I will buy used Harley's and keep them running. I've been riding for 40 years. only 2/3rds of it has been on H-D's. I owe them nothing. If anything, they owe me for my loyalty.

B B

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 11:07:48 PM »

Roger,
         For the past few years, H-D Inc appears to have been being run by people with no sense of their core customers. This is what happened during the AMF years. H-D Inc is a recreational product company. Whatever downturn they are experiencing at this time is most likely seen by those in the Ivory Towers as a factor of the overall falling economy vice issues with the product and customer satisfaction. I'm not into H-D Inc stock like some of our members are, so I pay no attention to their balance sheets. I have no clue if they have deep enough pockets to weather the current downturn in their fortunes for a long enough period for someone to come to the realization that their issues are not relative to the economy, they are relative to declining consumer confidence. I love Motorcycles. I prefer the Harley-Davidson brand, but if they cannot survive, I will find another company to spend my money with or I will buy used Harley's and keep them running. I've been riding for 40 years. only 2/3rds of it has been on H-D's. I owe them nothing. If anything, they owe me for my loyalty.

B B

I hear that, my first Harley was a new 1976 AMF FLH.

They'll most likely be around and you, me and many others here will be riding them with all of the short comings etc.

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 02:06:52 PM »

Gentlemen,  been awhile since my last post when I nearly deleated all my entries because of the non-believers of one of the posts before that.

With that out of the way:  When you wash your bike LET IT RUN if your rode to the wash bay. Or let it cool down if at home.  The MOCO doesn't like  their products washed hot and shut down. 

Mine started a leak at the left side jug bolt between the two cyl @ less than 1000 mi.  I have since had no or slight dirt build-up from that spot @13000 + miles.

Semper Fi,

Jack

PS  "HOIST" I have $5000 that says I can do it again !
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:29:00 PM by Jack »
FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 02:34:35 PM »

Gentlemen,  been awhile since my last post when I nearly deleated all my entries because of the non-believers of one of the posts before that.

Why consider suiciding posts or memberships because someone else disagrees?  Since when does it matter so much what someone else things.  This is a playground.  Nothing is that serious.

With that out of the way:  When you wash your bike LET IT RUN if your rode to the wash bay.

That's an interesting thought.  But I think I'll pass.  First off Harley doesn't really recommend the high pressure wash bay.  Having said that it's not an uncommon thing.  I do it on occasion.  And with common sense pointing the nozzle it is of course no bid deal.  But even in the wash bay a decent job of bug removal and thorough rinsing takes a bit.  I'll choose not to have the bike sitting still at idle for 15 minutes or so.  98 times out of a hundred a bath happens in the driveway though.  So it's not a concern.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 21 queries.